HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Return of Arkhipov

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 05:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The Return of Arkhipov

According to Craig Leipold, Arkhipov will return this season despite having a contract in Russia, or he "expects" to have him back here anyway.

Old
08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
lightning_legwand*

I do not really think Arkhipov is needed much in Nashville other than for his size. But we have several other guys of his stature. I think if he has still not proved he can live up to abit of his potential by the trade deadline, he will be out of Nashville. That is if he does play for us this season.
I say give him a shot every now and then with Kariya just to see what he does.

Old
08-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Pred303

good,i'm ready to see one last shot to see if this guy can be the player he was three years ago...if not,well so what,maybe we can trick someone into claiming him off waivers

Old
08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I guess the eternal optimist in me says that there is still worth in Arkhipov. I feel good about keeping him around.

A little depth never hurt anybody.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:12 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Here's my take on this. If he does come over, there is some good in it for the Preds. He has the potential to contribute and would be a wonderful addition to our second line if he actually showed an ounce of drive. If he plays the way we think he'll play, he can be waived and reassigned to Milwaukee. There's a chance someone who is short on centers (Columbus?, Atlanta?, Edmonton?) might give him a shot. He has the tools to be a successful NHLer. Maybe Trotz' motivational methods fail on Arkhipov when other coaches might not be so unsuccessful.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Pred303

after hearing first trotz,then poile, then leopold say they expected arkhipov back...let's make some assupmptions about the opening day roster(just thinking aloud)..

first assume there are no more deals prior to opening day(not that i believe this will happen)..then assume arkhipov actually returns and IF he has a decent camp and makes the squad,then you have 22 roster spaces pretty well spelled out with only one really open for question...

one possibility would be...
1)kariya,legwand,walker
2)erat,arkhipov,sullivan
3)hartnell,johnson,hall
4)hordichuk,nichol,tootoo

d1)markov,timonen
d2)hamhuis,suter
d3)eaton,zidlicky
g)vokoun,mason

scratches)stevenson,allison.....and ?

leaves upshall,smithson or gamache all battling for one roster spot(and that's if we carry 23 opening day which we've only done 1 of the 6 years of the franchise,all other years we opened with 22)

leaves us in a bad position on gamache and smithson as they'd have to clear waivers to be sent down,while upshall wouldn't...in fact every player on this hypothetical roster would have to clear waivers if sent to milwaukee except for upshall(reduces some of the flexibility we've had in past years with this)

so would trotz go with 22? would he want to keep an extra centerman(smithson),would he want to keep an extra forward with the idea that sullivan could move to center...would he try upshall at center?(i still cann't see gamache playing center in trotz's schemes)..

so it looks like it boils down to these roster questions for me:

1)will smithson beat out nichol?(or if so is nichol kept as the 14th forward?)
2)will arkhipov make the team period?(and if so do we keep both smithson and nichol? almost surely not is my guess)
3)who centers the 2nd line if arkhipov actually has a good camp?(legwand,arkhipov or sullivan?)
4)if arkhiov makes the team.does sullivan still play center and drop arkhipov to the 3rd line,johnson to the 4th and push both smithson and nichol off the roster?
5)who will eaton be paired with? zidlicky or hamhuis?
6)will trotz carry 22 or 23 to start the season?
7)will it be upshall or gamache who makes this squad if he carries 23?
8)will legwand center walker and kariya..or will sullivan center them
9)if sullivan is moved to the second line will hartnell move there to give that line grit and erat moved to pair with hall?
10)if sully centers kariya and walker and legwand joins erat on the 2nd line will hartnell be moved to their line for some grit?(this i would really like to see at some point tried,a erat/legwand/hartnell line)
11) if sullivan is tried at center will upshall or gamache win this one left wing spot alongside hall and arkhipov?

of course,i still fully expect poile to come up with another centerman in the next 58 days and make these questions all change before then

but man,this is gonna be fun

Old
08-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
As you may have guessed, I'm relieved to hear this - to think, a season without Arky. Ok, so it seems a little weird, but I basically think of him like you all do. I know he hasn't played well the past two seasons, but all I want is one more chance for him. If he doesn't produce, then yea, kick him out. It just doesn't make sense though, to not try and try to get him back to the 20 goal form. He could easily be our #2 center, and would make things a lot easier for now. We still "need" a real #1, so if we were to get one later in the season, he could handle 3rd line duties as well - or be traded if he showed any worth to others. For now, I don't see this as being a bad thing at all.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm not opposed to this, and remember...when Kariya was signed, Arkhipov was mentioned...and Poile\Trotz said, "it's crap or get off the pot", basically...and if he doesn't cut it, there'll be no healthy scratches. His ass will get sent to Milwaukee, and if he gets picked up...no skin off our backs.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
romo

Just a thought, maybe Tootoo isnt 100% to make the roster. I assume he is young enough they could sent him down without waivers. He had an ok rookie year but maybe now that the team has more depth they want Tootoo to have another year in Milwaukee to develop some offense.

Although Tootoo is the face of the franchise to many outside of Nashville and his enegy on the ice sells tickets.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:13 AM
mcarrick16

god dam it give the sport to somebody who deserve it!!

scottie upshall or gamache

Old
08-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujorulz
god dam it give the sport to somebody who deserve it!!

scottie upshall or gamache
Well if Upshall wasn't always getting hurt, he would, you'd play Gamache over Legwand, Hartnell, Sullivan, Kariya, Erat & Walker? ... didn't think so

Old
08-09-2005, 02:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

They said he'd be back, not that he would have a spot on the opening line-up. Trotz doesn't like Arkhipov, so he's no lock even if he's on the roster.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:04 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

As another poster said, I consider Arkhi a roster spot someone else should fill based on the last two years. I would rather they sent him down, risked losing him, and not hold back one of our young players that seem ready to step up (Gamache, Upshall, etc.)

Last edited by darth5: 08-09-2005 at 07:04 AM. Reason: sp
Old
08-09-2005, 07:57 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
As another poster said, I consider Arkhi a roster spot someone else should fill based on the last two years. I would rather they sent him down, risked losing him, and not hold back one of our young players that seem ready to step up (Gamache, Upshall, etc.)
If he doesn't perform well in camp than I am sure that is what will happen. That doesn't change the fact the CL expects Arkhi to be at camp. I would also suspect that as the owner and the guy that signs the checks he expects him to play up to his ability. As a professional what else is there?

Closed Thread