HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

After waiver draft...

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 11:11 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
After waiver draft...

Brian Boucher remains a Coyote, and Todd Simpson becomes a Duck. The Coyotes did not select anyone, and Cujo remains a Red Wing.
To all those who said expose Boucher because he won't get picked:

Old
10-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Hordichuk_24

Anaheim was smart by picking up Simpson. I knew he would get picked.

Old
10-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Dan

I guess management got what they wanted. Although I'm sure they would not have minded if Boucher and Savage were taken. We still have 6 defenseman with NHL experience. Mara-Ference, Vaananen-Tanabe, Suchy-Hulse and Spiller. Question is do you want Spiller to be the 6th or 7th defenseman here or be a top pair guy getting big minutes in all situations in Springfield?

And we still have a goaltender situation to figure out. Having Bierk-Pelletier-LeNeveu in Springfield will be tough. Should we loan one of them out? Would Bierk pass waivers if we tried?

Old
10-03-2003, 12:42 PM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
So, are we going to carry three goaltenders then, as it looks like we can only send Boosh down, I suppose we could carry three, but surely it would stunt Bierk and Bouchers development a little, unless they are really concerned about Burkes Injury history

Old
10-03-2003, 01:18 PM
Waldo

Was there a plan?

Obviously, Boosh is not that highly regarded around the NHL. We need to find out who the better man is, Bierk or Boucher. Hope that Bierk gets the next start. The comments I've read so far pointed to mediocre tending against the Ducks. The question seems to be if Boosh or Bierk are good enough to become #1. If so, they trade Burke. If not ?????

Old
10-03-2003, 01:23 PM

I'm really hoping that Spiller can fill in for Simpson and then some. It'd be nice to see him our #5 at this stage, if he earns it. It'd be great if he was this seasons Jackman, or a previous version of our own Vaananen. Considering Simpson's UFA status, I still say it was bad of us to just give him up, we had to have been able to get a pick for him in a trade. Obviously, the salary was the main objection. They would rather be rid of the salary than gain a draft pick. That should tell us something.

Shocked that Florida flubbed on Hurme.

Glad that we were able to keep Boucher. Bierk will have to stay with the main club or pass through waivers. Boucher however could go to Springfield. That'd be the final blow to his confidence though. Nor should we have a player of his stature in the A.

Interesting for sure. Of all the names taken, not the names I would have predicted in most cases.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:31 PM
ulf

i still think it remains to be seen if either one of these guys is a competent back-up at the nhl level. neither are capable of #1 goalie status at this time of their careers.

boucher is probably the more capable goalie but his contract made him undesireable. zac would most likely be gone if he was exposed.

3 goalies doesn't work so now what does mgmt do?

is anaheim laughing at getting simpson for nothing or am i missing something about simpson that made him undesirable to the yotes org.was it the money,did he sleep with mickey's wife,or was he standing in the way of this team bottoming out.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf

is anaheim laughing at getting simpson for nothing or am i missing something about simpson that made him undesirable to the yotes org.was it the money,did he sleep with mickey's wife,or was he standing in the way of this team bottoming out.
Anaheim got a steal there. :mad:

Old
10-03-2003, 01:38 PM

If an Anaheim fan asked me what they were getting with Simpson, I would say the following.

He's a good 5-7th defensemen, with leadership skills, and plays physical.

Downside is he takes penalties at the risk of being physical.

I've made comments before how our depth chart based on salary was rediculous because Simpson was our highest paid blueliner. Much in the same situation as Berehowsky when we had him. So it's smart to pay players at the value of their position. Of course now we have very little veteran influence on our blueline. With Burke it could work out because he'll carry the defense, but with Boucher it'll hurt us.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Koytez7_28

Send a message via AIM to Koytez7_28 Send a message via Yahoo to Koytez7_28
Of the 3 that were exposed, I knew Todd would get picked up. His salary isnt that big, and I knew there were teams looking for quality Defensemen.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:47 PM
Hoot

Can we ask Anaheim if we can have Carney back pretty please

Old
10-03-2003, 11:27 PM
CoyoteBaloney

I would love Carney back. He is much better then Simpson. As much as Simpson would have been a decent leader on this young defense his undisciplined play hurt the team. The Coyotes PK unit is not very good and Simpson made sure it got plenty of ice time. Regardless, exposing Boucher, Savage and Simpson were financial moves, not moves based on talent.

BTW, what is Carney's salary? Not saying he doesnt deserve it. He has always been a solid dman, but unfortunately, if hockey is to survive in the Arizona desert finances will always play a very important role on who this team will keep and who they will trade.

Old
10-04-2003, 01:05 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Brian Boucher remains a Coyote, and Todd Simpson becomes a Duck. The Coyotes did not select anyone, and Cujo remains a Red Wing.
To all those who said expose Boucher because he won't get picked:
I'd glady have been wrong if it meant losing Boucher and keeping Simpson...

Old
10-04-2003, 01:08 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
Can we ask Anaheim if we can have Carney back pretty please
We traded Carney for a second, which we shortly traded (a second, I don't know if it was THAT second) for Simpson... The reason we traded Carney? Salary....

I hate this team...

Old
10-04-2003, 02:18 PM
hbk

unfortunately the big bucks Smith paid out on guys like Numminen, Green, Juneau, Carney, Tocchet, Carney, etc. came back to bite him in the butt because in the end all that extra dough just inflated our losses while amounting to little difference in the standings. We were still a mediocre team then and we're a mediocre team now. I'll agree that we are way to liberal in dealing second round picks but I'm happy this franchise has dumped a lot of the higher end salaries and moved towards being proactive towards the future instead of repeating the endless cycle of mediocrity. Our hope for a brighter tomorrow seems more justified today than the Tkachuk/Roenick years.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:32 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
We traded Carney for a second, which we shortly traded (a second, I don't know if it was THAT second) for Simpson... The reason we traded Carney? Salary....

I hate this team...
That's not right. The 2nd we got for Carney was involved in the Sjostrom deal.

And I will continue to say that the undisciplined play of someone like Todd Simpson hurts a poor PK team like the Coyotes then it helps.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:05 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
That's not right. The 2nd we got for Carney was involved in the Sjostrom deal.

And I will continue to say that the undisciplined play of someone like Todd Simpson hurts a poor PK team like the Coyotes then it helps.
First, I stated that it was A second, not neccesarily THAT second in my post....
Second, continue to say it, but when our inexperienced D and quality #7-8 dman Hulse plays for 1.1M as compared to #4-6 dman Simpson plays for 1.5M, lets talk about our PK...
Bottom line, they signed Hulse (who will pick up just as many PIMs assuming he plays) for 1.1M. Simpson for 400k more brought ALOT more to the table than Hulse. This is a terrible move... Nevermind the fact that they could've moved Simpson to one of a number of teams for atleast a midrnd pick if they were going to lose him in the waiver draft... But the money they got from the draft was worth more to them than a pick -- my lord, it's like Wirtz part two with this team. "An extra pick or prospect, nah, I'll take the cash.."

Old
10-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
First, I stated that it was A second, not neccesarily THAT second in my post....
Second, continue to say it, but when our inexperienced D and quality #7-8 dman Hulse plays for 1.1M as compared to #4-6 dman Simpson plays for 1.5M, lets talk about our PK...
Bottom line, they signed Hulse (who will pick up just as many PIMs assuming he plays) for 1.1M. Simpson for 400k more brought ALOT more to the table than Hulse. This is a terrible move... Nevermind the fact that they could've moved Simpson to one of a number of teams for atleast a midrnd pick if they were going to lose him in the waiver draft... But the money they got from the draft was worth more to them than a pick -- my lord, it's like Wirtz part two with this team. "An extra pick or prospect, nah, I'll take the cash.."
Very true, good post. In fact Hulse takes even more stupid penalties than Simpson does. Simpson also drops the gloves more often, therefore a lot of his penalties wouldn't put us on the PK as opposed to the minor penalties Hulse takes.

Closed Thread