HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

EDM/PHI Proposal

Old
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
OutForMilk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Yes but most Oilers fans said they would only do it if Ekblad is gone. And for Philly, that is the only reason to do it.
I agree with that. Top pairing defense is Edmonton's greatest weakness, and drafting one is the easiest and cheapest way to do it, so that makes sense. Not really sure what that has to do with the post I was responding to though. He was comparing Gagner to Couturier, and didn't mention the draft pick at all. I totally understand Philly fans wanting Ekblad as the draft pick. Same #1 need as Edm (defense)

OutForMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
OwenFully

Can't believe Flyers fans are saying no to this.... Couturier is unproven right now (though i'm sure he'll be solid, i know his value is still high) and luke schenn is a number 5/6 d-man. Getting back a top 5 and a decent 2nd line center for that seems great to me.

OwenFully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFully View Post
Can't believe Flyers fans are saying no to this.... Couturier is unproven right now (though i'm sure he'll be solid, i know his value is still high) and luke schenn is a number 5/6 d-man. Getting back a top 5 and a decent 2nd line center for that seems great to me.
Gagner is not decent. He is a 40 point center who plays no defense on a team that plays all offense.

Gagner would be 7th in scoring for The Flyers forwards. Philly has 3 centers that are better than him and another that is equal in Vinny. He has no place to play in Philly. If he was a LW, then ok. But he isn't.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:01 PM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
I can't wait 'til Couturier becomes "solid"...

The Flyers have far better ways to spend $5M the next 2 years then an additional center, this one being a 2/3 type. That, among other already specified reasons, makes it a no go.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
He is currently the 2nd most valuable player on our team. Flyers people on this board agree on this pretty much unanimously. He's proven plenty and continues to trend upwards.

For the millionth time, we don't want Sam Gagner. He doesn't have a spot on our team. We do need Sean Couturier. His skill set is not replaceable.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:18 PM
OwenFully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
He is currently the 2nd most valuable player on our team. Flyers people on this board agree on this pretty much unanimously. He's proven plenty and continues to trend upwards.

For the millionth time, we don't want Sam Gagner. He doesn't have a spot on our team. We do need Sean Couturier. His skill set is not replaceable.
As a fan of neither team, I think I'd rather have one of the top 3 picks (which it will be) than Couturier

Old
02-15-2014, 08:22 PM
OwenFully

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
I can't wait 'til Couturier becomes "solid"...

The Flyers have far better ways to spend $5M the next 2 years then an additional center, this one being a 2/3 type. That, among other already specified reasons, makes it a no go.
To me Couturier being under a half a point per game is just solid, granted I don't see enough of him. Obviously understand why Flyers don't want Gagner but to me
1st rounder =/< Couturier
Gagner > Schenn

Old
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Stripper

Quote:
To me Couturier being under a half a point per game is just solid, granted I don't see enough of him. Obviously understand why Flyers don't want Gagner but to me
1st rounder =/< Couturier
Gagner > Schenn
1st rounder =< Couturier
Gagner = Schenn

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
As a fan of neither team, I think I'd rather have one of the top 3 picks (which it will be) than Couturier
Why?

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Tavares91Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Couts is worth a top 5 pick straight up. Schenn for Gagner is a push value wise.

This is pretty good.
Couts is not worth a top 5 pick right now IMO.

Tavares91Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:14 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan57 View Post
So one of the best defensive centers, who is producing pretty damned well considering his minutes and zone starts, (aged 21, at that) isn't worth a completely unproven prospect.

OK.

02-16-2014, 02:21 AM
rockinghockey

Didn't we have all this same talk about Staal how great he would be if he ever had a chance to play 2C. He gets 6mil a year and sorry to say but is not worth it. Couturier is the same type of player. Don't get me wrong I would love to have him as my 2C in EDM but PHI fans are way over valuing him. If EDM offered Yak PHI GM would be all over it. But it would take more than Couturier to get Yak. I do agree that PHI has no room for Gagner but I am sure that PHI would trade Couturier plus to get Ekblad.

For me to trade the pick to PHI so they could draft Ekblad it would be Couturier PHI 1st, and then another asset. A dman like Ekblad with his size and skill are hard to come by. Coburn and Ekblad next year would be a huge improvement for PHI.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
1st rounder =< Couturier
Gagner = Schenn
Couturier is going to be better than probably 90% of the players taken in the first round this year, but the pick we are talking about is not a generic 1st round pick, it is a top 3 pick, which is a different beast entirely. I haven't seen much of Bennet so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment (though his numbers look awesome), but I am very confident that both of Reinhart and Ekblad will be phenomenal NHL players, and I see them both as being a clear level above Couturier; every prospect has a chance at busting but seeing the maturity they have and the intelligence they play the game with, it is really hard to foresee that happening to either one of them.

Then I don't even see how one could argue that Luke Schenn is better than or equal to Gagner, Schenn is struggling to hold down a job on the 3rd defense pairing and he is seeing his minutes cut. Gagner is an established player who produces numbers highly comparable to other 2nd line centers/forwards, he has defensive shortcomings and doesn't have that big NHL size teams covet, but he's clearly going to be a player in this league for a long time and he will continue to contribute offensively. Luke Schenn looks to be having more of a Bryan Allen kind of career trajectory.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:06 AM
NitHeel
Kimmo Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Didn't we have all this same talk about Staal how great he would be if he ever had a chance to play 2C. He gets 6mil a year and sorry to say but is not worth it. Couturier is the same type of player. Don't get me wrong I would love to have him as my 2C in EDM but PHI fans are way over valuing him. If EDM offered Yak PHI GM would be all over it. But it would take more than Couturier to get Yak. I do agree that PHI has no room for Gagner but I am sure that PHI would trade Couturier plus to get Ekblad.

For me to trade the pick to PHI so they could draft Ekblad it would be Couturier PHI 1st, and then another asset. A dman like Ekblad with his size and skill are hard to come by. Coburn and Ekblad next year would be a huge improvement for PHI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Couturier is going to be better than probably 90% of the players taken in the first round this year, but the pick we are talking about is not a generic 1st round pick, it is a top 3 pick, which is a different beast entirely. I haven't seen much of Bennet so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment (though his numbers look awesome), but I am very confident that both of Reinhart and Ekblad will be phenomenal NHL players, and I see them both as being a clear level above Couturier; every prospect has a chance at busting but seeing the maturity they have and the intelligence they play the game with, it is really hard to foresee that happening to either one of them.

Then I don't even see how one could argue that Luke Schenn is better than or equal to Gagner, Schenn is struggling to hold down a job on the 3rd defense pairing and he is seeing his minutes cut. Gagner is an established player who produces numbers highly comparable to other 2nd line centers/forwards, he has defensive shortcomings and doesn't have that big NHL size teams covet, but he's clearly going to be a player in this league for a long time and he will continue to contribute offensively. Luke Schenn looks to be having more of a Bryan Allen kind of career trajectory.

Very false.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Very false.
TOI last 6games :20:59(DET),15:48(ANA),20:57(LAK),19:09(SJS),16:30 (COL),21:44( CGY)

+10 during that span(1st among Flyers).

i guess we and him have a different definition for words like struggling,cut...

Flyerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfan57 View Post
Thinking like this is why Edmonton is the second worst team in the league and about to miss the playoffs for the eight year in a row.

Great defensive centers are extremely important.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:08 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
don't see why Philly does this. Couturier is developing like they want him to... why would they trade him to start over again?
This is pretty easy to answer . The Flyers need a number 1 d man . They do not get traded very often and when they do an overpay is required . If Ekblad is on board the Flyers get their number one D man for the future . The Flyers are also very deep at Centre and can afford to trade a Centre for to address area of weakness . Having said that My Oilers need D more so then the Flyers . Mac T seem to really like Ekblad so if he is on board i think the Oilers pick him , if he is gone the Flyers would not do it , because like you said they would be starting over with a Centre .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post

So much LOL in that post. Oilers fans still holding onto the illusion that Yakupov would get back a great package, like Couts + 1st + are in for a lot of dissapointment if he's actually traded.

If offered Yakupov for Couturier 1 for 1, Holmgren and Hextall would politely decline and then hang up laughing. I do agree, that if guaranteed Ekblad, the Flyers would have to seriously consider that. But the Oilers need D also, so I doubt they'd ever offer that.

About Jordan Staal, I haven't seen any updated stuff fancy stat comparables in a month or so, but he was killing it then. He was playing super tough minutes and producing offensively more than about anyone logging similar minutes. So yes, he is worth it. But we all know the Oilers don't value anything concerning defense, so I'm not surprised you'd think he is overrated and not worth it.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:54 AM
hockeyjack89
R.I.P. Thrashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
:
C/RW Sam Gagner
EDM 1st '14

:
Luke Schenn
Sean Couturier

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Lecavalier-Gagner-Simmonds
Downie-B. Schenn-Read
Raffl-Hall-Rinaldo
McGinn Newbury

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Grossman
Meszaros-Gustafsson
Rosehill

Flyers take Ekblad in June...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Couturier-Yakupov
Hendricks-Gordon-Jones
Smyth-Arcobello-Joensuu
Gazdic, Pitlick

Ference-J. Schultz
Marincin-Petry
Belov-L. Schenn
Potter
Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Rosehill a forward?

hockeyjack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
rockinghockey

Sta 27 points in 57 games yes he is a good two way player and that is what Cout will be not an offensive 2c but defensive 2c I am not saying that is bad

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote