HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumour - Lukowich to the Canucks?

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Vote Quimby

vCash: 500
Rumour - Lukowich to the Canucks?

Spector's is quoting Brad Lukowich as having talks with the Canucks and they are high on his list.

He might be a good depth d-man but the Canucks still will need a top 4 guy (Hamrlik or Witt). I haven't seen him play all that much but I assume he wouldn't be much better then a 5th or 6th defenceman.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:25 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
He played well in the playoffs for Tampa last year paired with Boyle. If they can get him for about $1-million or less, then he'd be a really good pickup. I thought Tampa had re-signed Lukowich, but I think I might be confusing him with Pratt. Now Tampa not only lost Cullimore but also might lose Lukowich.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote Quimby
He might be a good depth d-man but the Canucks still will need a top 4 guy (Hamrlik or Witt).
Allen is that guy. The Canucks simply cannot afford to acquire a player such as Hamrlik or Witt, so Allen will be relied on heavily to step into a top 4 role. Frankly, I think he's more that capable of doing so.

As for Lukowich, I'd love to see him sign with the Canucks for the right price. As soon as Sopel and Malik were moved, I mentioned Lukowich as a possible replacement. He's from Cranbrook too, so maybe the Canucks will get a defenseman from Cranbrook to come home this off-season...

Anyway, Lukowich is a solid, stay-at-home defender much like Scott Lachance, although I'd say Lukowich is a bit grittier. He played well in Tampa's playoff run in '04, and would be a solid 5th d-man for the Nucks. I wouldn't mind this defense:

Ohlund-Salo
Allen-Jovanovski
Lukowich-Bieksa/Baumgartner/Whathaveyou

Old
08-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
Now Tampa not only lost Cullimore but also might lose Lukowich.
We didn't qualify Lukowich. Told him we'd be willing to have him return at a lower salary but he seemed pretty bitter and determined to go anywhere else he could.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Vote Quimby

I don't have a huge problem with going with Allen as our #4 guy and seeing how things work themselves out over the first 2/3rds of the season. Trades can always be made to shore up weaknesses.

I agree that Hamrlik is probably out of our price range but Witt might not be. He will cost in terms of players but Washington is rebuilding so draft picks and youngsters will be the asking price I assume.

How about Witt for Brandon Reid, Kiril Koltsov and a 2nd rd pick (tribute to Brian "I don't like second rounders" Burke)?

Old
08-09-2005, 04:53 PM
QuickDynamite

I'd love to see him on our team. He's a big, fast skating (that's very important) and good defensively. I don't know how physical he plays, but i'd really like to see him signed just under or around $1 million.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:09 PM
onetimer

Did Allen play during the lockout? Did his skating improve?

Old
08-09-2005, 06:11 PM
canucks666

Quote:
I don't have a huge problem with going with Allen as our #4 guy and seeing how things work themselves out over the first 2/3rds of the season. Trades can always be made to shore up weaknesses.

I agree that Hamrlik is probably out of our price range but Witt might not be. He will cost in terms of players but Washington is rebuilding so draft picks and youngsters will be the asking price I assume.

How about Witt for Brandon Reid, Kiril Koltsov and a 2nd rd pick (tribute to Brian "I don't like second rounders" Burke)?
the problem isn't getting witt, the problem is fitting him under the cap.

we sadly just do not have the room - even if chubarov's salary goes away when he plays in russia.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:13 PM
cyrisweb

Quote:
He might be a good depth d-man but the Canucks still will need a top 4 guy (Hamrlik or Witt). I haven't seen him play all that much but I assume he wouldn't be much better then a 5th or 6th defenceman.
With a top 4 of
Ohlund-Salo
Allen-Jovo
the canucks DON'T need another top 4 dman. They need a steady defensive/gritty guy to pair up with a rookie dman in the 3rd pairing.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
incawg

I'd be happy with Luko and/or Slegr as our 5/6. I think a top four of jovo, ohlund, salo, and allen should be fine.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Lukowich is not a bad defenseman. I just wonder how much he will cost

Old
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Lukowich is not a bad defenseman. I just wonder how much he will cost
Probably too much for the Canucks. Vancouver is gonna have to resort to a 5th d-man closer to the league minimum, whereas Lukowich will most likely be signed for closer to $1 million (probably around the $900,000 mark).

Old
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
GJB

Quote:
Witt for Brandon Reid, Kiril Koltsov and a 2nd rd pick (tribute to Brian "I don't like second rounders" Burke)?

Old
08-09-2005, 06:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClapper

Old
08-09-2005, 06:45 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimer
Did Allen play during the lockout? Did his skating improve?
yes and yes (I have heard).

Old
08-09-2005, 06:54 PM
clawdad

We could have qualified Lukowich at something like $1.017 mil. He was our 6th (Sydor, Kubina, Sarich, Boyle, & Cullimore) just ahead of Pratt and was slotted as or #5 with Cully already gone. Makes good plays at both ends but frustratingly big mistakes also. Generally, gets manhandled by good power forwards but other than that solid. I think the Lightning would be willing to pay him in the $750 - $850 range.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:58 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94
He played well in the playoffs for Tampa last year paired with Boyle. If they can get him for about $1-million or less, then he'd be a really good pickup. I thought Tampa had re-signed Lukowich, but I think I might be confusing him with Pratt. Now Tampa not only lost Cullimore but also might lose Lukowich.
He played well until the playoffs. But in both years Tampa made the playoffs his play fell off in the post season. Pratt moved ahead of him on the depth chart and few teams are going to pay a #6 the million that would be needed to qualify him.

Closed Thread