HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Boucher Exposed!!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 12:27 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Boucher Exposed!!!

The Phoenix Coyotes have left goaltender Brian Boucher exposed. He was acquired last year from the Philadelphia Flyers but was battling Zac Bierk for the backup role behind Sean Burke.

(from tsn.ca)

Makes sense but I won't be surprised if it comes back to bite us in the butt. $2.2 million is a lot to pay a backup. Not sure I agree with it but I understand the logic behind the move. Of course there is a temptation to utilize an escalation of commitment and rationalize keeping Boucher.

If boucher gets picked up I wonder if Phoenix makes a pitch for Brent Johnson or takes Aebischer when and if Sean Burke is dealt.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Kimahri

Send a message via AIM to Kimahri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
The Phoenix Coyotes have left goaltender Brian Boucher exposed. He was acquired last year from the Philadelphia Flyers but was battling Zac Bierk for the backup role behind Sean Burke.

(from tsn.ca)

Makes sense but I won't be surprised if it comes back to bite us in the butt. $2.2 million is a lot to pay a backup. Not sure I agree with it but I understand the logic behind the move. Of course there is a temptation to utilize an escalation of commitment and rationalize keeping Boucher.

If boucher gets picked up I wonder if Phoenix makes a pitch for Brent Johnson or takes Aebischer when and if Sean Burke is dealt.
The thing that doesn't make any sense to me, is that Simpson was left exposed over Hulse. Savage was a gimme to be exposed because of the monster contract, but why protect Nazarov. I really hope no one claims Boucher.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:43 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri
The thing that doesn't make any sense to me, is that Simpson was left exposed over Hulse. Savage was a gimme to be exposed because of the monster contract, but why protect Nazarov. I really hope no one claims Boucher.
I don't think they were too impressed with Simpson last year between the practical joke gone wrong (didn't he stain all of the carpets with putple dye?) and badly timed penalties.

Nazarov is protected because he fills a role that quite frankly nobody else can fill on that roster.

This move by Barnett may save Phoenix almost $4 million in salary. That's the silver lining in this list.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Kimahri

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I don't think they were too impressed with Simpson last year between the practical joke gone wrong (didn't he stain all of the carpets with putple dye?) and badly timed penalties.

Nazarov is protected because he fills a role that quite frankly nobody else can fill on that roster.

This move by Barnett may save Phoenix almost $4 million in salary. That's the silver lining in this list.
Well Nazarov might just be protected as a trade off. Like say if we claim Bednar(or whoever) then we could then expose Naz. Seems reasonable.

And I think that Washington will claim Simpson, or maybe someone else like Toronto.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Hordichuk_24

I really hope nobody takes Simpson.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:05 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
I really hope nobody takes Simpson.
Check out last nights stat sheet

he had like 7-10 mins for worth of penalty minutes, that is the exact opposite of what gretzky wants.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:10 PM
steveburfoot

Send a message via Yahoo to steveburfoot
I am pretty shocked that Boucher was left exposed, I think he will be taken by someone, as I would rate him slightly more attractive than Bierk, even taking his salary into consideration, and if Boucher does go, and Burke retires, where does that leave us next Season, Bierk or Pelletier and praying for Lenny to be ready to step up?

Old
10-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
Check out last nights stat sheet

he had like 7-10 mins for worth of penalty minutes, that is the exact opposite of what gretzky wants.
Yeah and he is also our most physical defenseman and one of the only players that plays with his heart on his sleave. He had a sprinted bout with Brennan last night to try and spark the team. He will be a bigger loss than most people imagine. Just watch...

And unless Cale Hulse can step it up and play the physical game he did when he played in the WHL and with Calgary, he won't be able to do half of what Simpson did...

Old
10-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Nagy17

Someone is gonna claim Simpson, he's a crease clearing physical dman willing to drop the gloves and wont back down from anyone. Many teams want a guy like that. Granted 1.5mil may be a little high for him but from what I hear he is quite the vocal leader in the clubhouse too. I wouldve rather exposed Suchy than him.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy Dump
Someone is gonna claim Simpson, he's a crease clearing physical dman willing to drop the gloves and wont back down from anyone. Many teams want a guy like that. Granted 1.5mil may be a little high for him but from what I hear he is quite the vocal leader in the clubhouse too. I wouldve rather exposed Suchy than him.
Totally agree 110%. Teams like the Leafs, and Sabres have been looking to acquire a defenseman like Simpson. Now is there chance. He will be gone, I am sure of that. Which really sucks. I just don't want to believe it.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Nagy17

If he goes, I'm gonna miss those Simpson/Tkachuk battles. Simpson sure could get under his skin.

Old
10-01-2003, 01:58 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy Dump
If he goes, I'm gonna miss those Simpson/Tkachuk battles. Simpson sure could get under his skin.
Same here. But he is as good as gone. If he is still with the team after the wavier draft I will be shocked...

Old
10-01-2003, 02:13 PM

Why don't we go with an all rookie team, who needs leadership?

Old
10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes

Why don't we go with an all rookie team, who needs leadership?
I am starting to feel the same way...

Old
10-01-2003, 02:26 PM
LT

See ya Simpson, see ya Boucher! Bah bye.

Selfish penalties and an average goaltender, both being overpaid. I'd rather watch Spiller develope.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT
See ya Simpson, see ya Boucher! Bah bye.

Selfish penalties and an average goaltender, both being overpaid. I'd rather watch Spiller develope.
I'd rather see Spiller develop, and Boucher & Simpson packaged to Washington for Zubrus or something we could use.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:29 PM
PhoPhan

While I understand the logic in exposing Boucher, it really angers me because Bierk would be the better choice. Why would we protect Hulse over Simpson? Teams had their shot with Hulse, obviously he won't be selected. The only way I could be happy losing one of them is if we lose Savage too which would free up some dollars, and make room for Taffe.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Hordichuk_24

Oh please, don't give me that whole stupid "selfish penalties" rant again...

Old
10-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Kimahri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I'd rather see Spiller develop, and Boucher & Simpson packaged to Washington for Zubrus or something we could use.
Maybe management "wants" Simpson gone to make room for Spiller? That could explain the Wilson signing, because Wilson comes cheaper than Simpson and could play in Sprinfield, where as if Spiller makes the team Simpson would be making to much money to be in the press box or the farm.

Old
10-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT
Short and to the point, LT! I totally agree.

However, since they both make slightly too much money for what they bring to the table and with a new CBA around the corner - Who knows, there might be no takers... [sigh]

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Old
10-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Waldo

No good choices

That was a tough dilemma. No matter who was left exposed, the Coyotes would lose something of value. I'm hoping they may slip through. After all, Leafs just recently signed Ken Klee, supposedly a solid stay at home physical defenseman. Everyone had a shot at signing him. There were others that were also available and probably still are but I'm not looking for names. My point is that teams have had free agents to sign and haven't. Simpson may yet slip through. But he still will be undisciplined and that's why he was exposed. I'm hoping that Boosh survives but he may be taken. Nonetheless, his salary may save him. We'll wait and see. But these were reasonable decisions and you'll probably find as many are happy with the choices as those that are not. I suppose that means Bierk will start the next game. Salary was probably important regarding Bierk but I thought he was better able to fit within Allaire's system, being a big goaltender like Burke. I'm happy enough with the decisions, but am hoping they slip through without being claimed.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Dancing Chicken

I totally called the Boosh being waived.. Glad to hear it but what makes no sence to me is Simpson.. The Yotes could of traded a pick for him at least.. Hmmm

Old
10-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimahri
Maybe management "wants" Simpson gone to make room for Spiller? That could explain the Wilson signing, because Wilson comes cheaper than Simpson and could play in Sprinfield, where as if Spiller makes the team Simpson would be making to much money to be in the press box or the farm.
That could be the only logical explanation here. I wouldn't mind if as much if they replaced Simpson with another physical guy like Spiller.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:36 PM
ducky

Talk about admitting your mistakes...Handzus and Esche for Boucher. OUCH!

I am surprised at Simpson being exposed. I thought he was going to be a leader on the team. It is not like he is the ONLY undisciplined guy on the team.

I wonder if there have been inquiries about Pelletier and the yotes expect him to be claimed instead of Boucher?

Old
10-01-2003, 03:53 PM
ulf

boucher was a huge mistake.....given his performance vs the contract he was given. as a 1 mill $ backup he'd be alright....as your future #1 glad to see mgmt admit their mistake and move on.

simpson will be missed although his locker room antics may have eroded any leadership value he has/had.

i'm sure mgmt tried to get something back for these players but found no takers at mgmt's asking price,now they go at the savings of their contracts.

it's interesting that last year many excellant players we're exposed in the waiver draft that went unclaimed and it may happen again.

both boucher and simpson must be feeling very vulnerable and unwanted at this point ....hope it doesn't reflect on their play if they remain with the yotes this year.

Closed Thread