HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Research HELP Thread (Answer the Unanswered!)

Old
05-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Boom Boom Bear

vCash: 500
Oh, yes, & i recall the announcers discussing it in the Oilers game, mentioning how Arbour had used this ploy before, including switching back to the original goaltender.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 08:39 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FtgcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=914EAAAAIBAJ&pg=31 54%2C4252063

On the sideways page just beside the linked article, Weeks played 17 seconds while Mio had his finger taped after losing a fingernail. The Rangers made it 3-0 during that time.
That is hilarious

Next time we have a thread about how goalie wins should be recorded, I'm referencing this one.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Doctor No

vCash: 50
Quote:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FtgcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=914EAAAAIBAJ&pg=31 54%2C4252063

On the sideways page just beside the linked article, Weeks played 17 seconds while Mio had his finger taped after losing a fingernail. The Rangers made it 3-0 during that time.
This is awesome - thanks!

One of the things I love about hockey is that there are so many stories like this, and unlike (for instance) baseball, many of them are still hidden.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
Yeah, that's exactly it. i recently rewatched game one of the 84 Finals & in the final minutes of the game, with the Oilers up a goal, Al Arbour pulled Smith & put in Melanson for the final couple minutes of the game. The reason is that putting in a new goaltender buys the team more time to rest & get ready for a final push than a timeout because the goaltender was allowed to warm up before starting. Pretty clever tactic.
I'm starting to hate Al Arbour as much as I hate Mike Keenan.

Back to back games of the 1985 Finals, I have this down for Pelle Lindbergh: "Replaced by Froese, replaced Froese, replaced by Froese" (and the converse for Froese).

They're singlehandedly (duohandedly?) causing me to have a typically-too-long field in my database.

Old
05-30-2014, 01:48 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
That is hilarious

Next time we have a thread about how goalie wins should be recorded, I'm referencing this one.
Broda and Rollins both played for Toronto in a 0-0 game. One got the shutout and the other got the tie.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Broda and Rollins both played for Toronto in a 0-0 game. One got the shutout and the other got the tie.
Alright, I'll bite - wouldn't that be a shared shutout?

Old
05-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Canadiens1958

Old Scoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
Old scoring was rather quirky. The shutout may have been given to the goalie who played the majority of the 60 minute game while the tie would have been given to the one who was the goalie of record when the tie was determined by the final bell at MLG, siren or buzzer elsewhere.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2014, 10:32 PM
Doctor No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Old scoring was rather quirky. The shutout may have been given to the goalie who played the majority of the 60 minute game while the tie would have been given to the one who was the goalie of record when the tie was determined by the final bell at MLG, siren or buzzer elsewhere.
Although I've heard rumours of this, I've never seen arbitrary scoring in practice - I'd like to see more about this if anyone has information.

Old
05-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Doctor No

Here's an interesting one - Colorado and Boston, January 3, 1981:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19800400

It looks like Jim Craig may have fought Al Smith (who would have come off the bench). Smith received 15 penalty minutes, and (according to HSP) Craig received 19 penalty minutes.

However, Craig's season penalty minutes total was only 11. Is the boxscore in error? I guess either Craig didn't actually receive a game misconduct (but was pulled for Vachon anyhow), or the season total is incorrect.

Being in Colorado, this may actually be one I can find myself, by heading down to the city's largest homeless shelter^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdowntown library.

Old
05-31-2014, 06:00 AM
BM67

Quote:
I would have to guess that the idea of a shared shutout would be a creation of the two goalie era.

Old
06-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Doctor No

Quote:
I would have to guess that the idea of a shared shutout would be a creation of the two goalie era.
Agreed. I'd like to see more specifics if available.

Old
06-01-2014, 10:26 AM
NorthStar

I wonder if anyone has some solid information for the Ontario Hockey League, which got started as the Ontario Hockey Association back in the 1890s... all I need is the list of seasons and teams playing that season and W-L-T and playoff results. .I am trying to track some teams back thru the years and I have done the WHL and QMJHL, and I am half way done with the OHL stats but need to find a book for the OHA stats that all.. any ideas or advice on what to do about that?? Would be happy for any help...

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 07:10 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
I wonder if anyone has some solid information for the Ontario Hockey League, which got started as the Ontario Hockey Association back in the 1890s... all I need is the list of seasons and teams playing that season and W-L-T and playoff results. .I am trying to track some teams back thru the years and I have done the WHL and QMJHL, and I am half way done with the OHL stats but need to find a book for the OHA stats that all.. any ideas or advice on what to do about that?? Would be happy for any help...
First I would suggest joining SIHR (Society For International Hockey Research). Second if you are not interested (it's cheap; only $35 a year) I would send an e-mail with your question.

http://www.sihrhockey.org/p_contact.cfm

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:51 AM
NorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlueshistory View Post
First I would suggest joining SIHR (Society For International Hockey Research). Second if you are not interested (it's cheap; only $35 a year) I would send an e-mail with your question.

http://www.sihrhockey.org/p_contact.cfm
Ah I see.. well it might be wise to send an email with my question as I am hoping to find out more and maybe get a full stat book somehow but ahh.. can ya do that for me and let me know in PM? thanks man... very appreciative of it and as for that 35 bucks per year not sure how I can pay online so ehh any help would be welcome...

Old
06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Doctor No

Here's where I joined:

http://www.sihrhockey.org/public_membership.cfm

It's been a great value so far.

Old
06-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Ah I see.. well it might be wise to send an email with my question as I am hoping to find out more and maybe get a full stat book somehow but ahh.. can ya do that for me and let me know in PM? thanks man... very appreciative of it and as for that 35 bucks per year not sure how I can pay online so ehh any help would be welcome...
What seasons is particular are you looking for? I could go through the database and let you know if they're in there, so you can make a more-informed decision about joining.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:06 PM
NorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
What seasons is particular are you looking for? I could go through the database and let you know if they're in there, so you can make a more-informed decision about joining.
I am looking for the seasons from when the OHA started (think it was in the 1890s') right up to after the 1979-80 season... I know it is a huge one but I have half the OHL stats done (the 1980-81 OHL season to the present one, and have part of the prior seasons with no facts for playoff results and only the standings partly..)

Would be delighted to get my hand on a book of OHA stats if it is still around but ahhh...

Old
06-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Yurog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman
On April 10, can anyone tell me the circumstances of John Vanbiesbrouck's appearance with the Rangers?
famous game 5 rangers-islanders from official collection set
IIRC he appearaced because of problem Hanlon's equipment or injury (???)

Yurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:00 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
I am looking for the seasons from when the OHA started (think it was in the 1890s') right up to after the 1979-80 season... I know it is a huge one but I have half the OHL stats done (the 1980-81 OHL season to the present one, and have part of the prior seasons with no facts for playoff results and only the standings partly..)
The early OHA stuff (pre-1910 or so) is still being researched. Kevin Slater is doing that year-by-year, and you can find his research published on blurb.ca if you're desperate to get it. A lot of the stuff you're looking for is in the SIHR database, but some years are incomplete.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 02:29 AM
alko

Im searching info about NHL Slovak players in 80s.
Miroslav Ihnacak played only 1 playoff game. According to this it was in season 1986/1987 for Toronto Maple Leafs.
The question is, when did he play this game?

Maple Leafs played 2 rounds that season. Here can we see the boxscores. BUt there isnt roster to find.

Any help?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 03:04 AM
skeena1

Here is Ihnacak's only playoff game that year:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?O19870003

And the Leafs roster;

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000381987.html

Last edited by skeena1: 06-03-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: More info.
skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 02:09 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeena1 View Post
How do you know, its exactly this game?
Because this major penalty is for Peter Ihnacak, his brother.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:15 AM
skeena1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
How do you know, its exactly this game?
Because this major penalty is for Peter Ihnacak, his brother.
Ugh. Sorry about that. You are correct. I will keep trying.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Doctor No

Working on goaltender game logs for 1980-81, and having trouble giving Andy Moog all of the losses that he truly deserves.

I currently have Eddie Mio with 16 losses (one extra) and Andy Moog with 2 losses (one too few). One would surmise that the discepancy is in a game where they shared time, and there are two such games (both of which I currently have Mio with the loss):

December 23, 1980 at Los Angeles (a 7-4 Kings win):
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19800355

HSP suggests that Moog played two minutes, and allowed one goal (but not which one). HSP gives Mio the loss. Why was Moog in the game, and was the goal allowed the fifth Los Angeles goal?

January 12, 1981 at Montreal (a 5-0 Canadiens win):
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19800443

Again, HSP suggests that Moog allowed one goal - I suppose it's conceivable that it was the first goal of the game. HSP gives Mio the loss. Why was Moog was in the game? (If it's a standard situation, with Mio pulled after a goal, the time played by Moog doesn't line up nicely against any one Montreal goal in particular).

Anyone have any ideas? The 12/23 game seems more likely.

Also, why does Google newspaper search suck a lot more in the past few months? It used to be great - put in a player's name and a time range, and you'd get all sorts of stuff. Now, even if I know that an article exists (and the date), I can't find it unless I do it manually.

PROGRESS UPDATE: The Montreal Gazette doesn't have a 1/13 edition online, and the 1/14 edition doesn't mention the Oilers game.

Old
06-05-2014, 03:38 PM
BM67

Quote:
Working on goaltender game logs for 1980-81, and having trouble giving Andy Moog all of the losses that he truly deserves.

I currently have Eddie Mio with 16 losses (one extra) and Andy Moog with 2 losses (one too few). One would surmise that the discepancy is in a game where they shared time, and there are two such games (both of which I currently have Mio with the loss):

December 23, 1980 at Los Angeles (a 7-4 Kings win):
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19800355

HSP suggests that Moog played two minutes, and allowed one goal (but not which one). HSP gives Mio the loss. Why was Moog in the game, and was the goal allowed the fifth Los Angeles goal?

January 12, 1981 at Montreal (a 5-0 Canadiens win):
http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin....cgi?H19800443

Again, HSP suggests that Moog allowed one goal - I suppose it's conceivable that it was the first goal of the game. HSP gives Mio the loss. Why was Moog was in the game? (If it's a standard situation, with Mio pulled after a goal, the time played by Moog doesn't line up nicely against any one Montreal goal in particular).

Anyone have any ideas? The 12/23 game seems more likely.

Also, why does Google newspaper search suck a lot more in the past few months? It used to be great - put in a player's name and a time range, and you'd get all sorts of stuff. Now, even if I know that an article exists (and the date), I can't find it unless I do it manually.

PROGRESS UPDATE: The Montreal Gazette doesn't have a 1/13 edition online, and the 1/14 edition doesn't mention the Oilers game.
The game summary is on page 89 of the January 12th edition. The 12th and 13th are both under that date. Mio left injured at 7:48 of the third period. Mio's loss.

Couldn't find anything more for the 23rd.