HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maloney Gives Juicy Info

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 11:47 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Maloney Gives Juicy Info

Quote:
"Our plan is to develop our young guys, but obviously you have to have a competitive team, and I think we've signed some players that can play with Jaromir," said Maloney, adding there was no chance, legal or otherwise, that Jagr would play again in Russia, as No. 68 suggested he was considering.
Quote:
While last week's free-agent frenzy has cleared almost all of the top-line players from the market, Maloney said the Rangers are still looking at a couple of moves.
Quote:
"What surprised us most (last week) was the term of the contracts," Maloney said. "There were some five-year deals, some four-year deals for 30, 31, 32 and older. We've learned by experience that it's a risk, to say the least."

Quote:
But Maloney said the biggest shock came when the Los Angeles Kings signed goalie Jason LaBarbera, a former AHL MVP with Hartford who has played in five NHL games, to a two-year, one-way deal worth $800,000 per season. To help fill that void, the Rangers could sign Swedish goalie Johan Asplund, a third-round pick in 1999, perhaps as soon as today. Also, the team is considering signing Nebraska-Omaha goalie Chris Holt, a sixth-round pick in 2003. He is in camp this week.
Quote:
They certainly didn't sign all the players they wanted — for one, missing out on Tampa Bay tough guy Andre Roy,
Quote:
Unsigned free agents Boris Mironov, a defenseman, forward Sandy McCarthy and goalie Mike Dunham will not be returning.
Quote:
Whether Mark Messier does might be clearer by the end of the week as general manager Glen Sather said he planned to talk to the captain.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...508080330/1108

Last edited by FLYLine24: 08-08-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old
08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
NYRangers

Interesting on Holt. Though he is the forgotten goalie. He is a very nice backup goalie prospect.

Old
08-08-2005, 12:23 PM
eco's bones

No McCarthy. No Dunham. No Mironov. Of the 3 Boris wasn't that bad but I think we could do better if we wanted to.

Old
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Blueshirt Yankee

pardon my lack of remembering but didn't McCarthy get traded at the deadline??? didn't he go to the Flyers?

Old
08-08-2005, 12:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Yankee
pardon my lack of remembering but didn't McCarthy get traded at the deadline??? didn't he go to the Flyers?
No we got McCarthy at the deadline..i think we picked him on Waivers, we didnt trade for him.

Old
08-08-2005, 12:57 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Johan 'better than Holmqvist' Asplund??? Hasn't he been a disappointment in Sweden? Nyköping aren't even in the Elite League and the numbers he's put up haven't been exactly stellar:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38

Chris Holt, on the other hand, I'd be excited about. I don't know much, but from what I've read, it seems he can be at least as good as Labarbera.

On the other hand, Dan Blackburn with two blockers is probably better than either of these two.

By the way, congratulations to Labarbera, he's cashed in. I hope it works out for him on the ice, too, though I'm not going to hold my breath . . .

Old
08-08-2005, 02:41 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
Interesting on Holt. Though he is the forgotten goalie. He is a very nice backup goalie prospect.
Back-up goalie and your judgement comes from what knowledge he has only played college , so that judgfement is not so intellegent. Any way , I also assume that its because he is a 6th and not talked much about is what makes him a back goalie, there should be no other reason you assume that.

For your knowledge the second best goalie in the league behind Brodeur is Nikolai Khabibulin, why dont you go see what round he was selected then maybe your opinion will change.

And besides goalies go look at what round guys like Bure, Richards, Mike Comrie , Federov ( think was a late pick ) etc and there are some more but those names popped up first to me.

Old
08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Edge

I think he meant it more as an opinion on his talent, not his draft round.

Lundqvist is seen by many as the top goalie prospect right now for the Rangers and he wasn't a high pick, but the general consensus on his talent is that it could be starter material.

Holt, while talented, just isn't quite in that league right now.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think he meant it more as an opinion on his talent, not his draft round.

Lundqvist is seen by many as the top goalie prospect right now for the Rangers and he wasn't a high pick, but the general consensus on his talent is that it could be starter material.

Holt, while talented, just isn't quite in that league right now.
Isn't the main reason why there are much higher expectations of Lundqvist at this point a direct result of how he's played (and progressed) since he's been drafted? Holt has continued to play well since he was drafted, but, really hasn't made the case with his play that he has a lot of untapped potential. And while Montoya had a tough year, I would be surprised to see anyone suggest that Holt is better, much less has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Draft position is just a snapshot of where a prospect is at that time. As time goes by, it becomes less important because as a prospect continues playing, how they play becomes more important. The only thing being a high draft choice does is give a prospect some extra chances. Organizations will usually give them more chances to succeed, even when they haven't progressed as much as they should have.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Holt has continued to play well since he was drafted, but, really hasn't made the case with his play that he has a lot of untapped potential.
I dunno Brook, Holt did pretty well behind a young Mavericks squad that was expected to finish in the depths of the CCHA. And while you could argue the CCHA had a pretty bad year, UNO still surprised and Holt was a big part of that...I believe he won the defensive player of the award week for the conference at least twice...maybe three times.

In term of his potential, he's a pretty raw goaltender still...decent sized, plays pretty upright but has decent speed for a big goalie. He's no Montoya (at the same age), but he's a solid prospect IMO.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Isn't the main reason why there are much higher expectations of Lundqvist at this point a direct result of how he's played (and progressed) since he's been drafted? Holt has continued to play well since he was drafted, but, really hasn't made the case with his play that he has a lot of untapped potential. And while Montoya had a tough year, I would be surprised to see anyone suggest that Holt is better, much less has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Draft position is just a snapshot of where a prospect is at that time. As time goes by, it becomes less important because as a prospect continues playing, how they play becomes more important. The only thing being a high draft choice does is give a prospect some extra chances. Organizations will usually give them more chances to succeed, even when they haven't progressed as much as they should have.
That's about it in a nutshell.

I think the thing with Holt is that he's solid, but not necessarily looking like a bluechipper. There's nothing wrong with and that doesn't mean he might not surprise some people, but that's the key word. If he hits that elite prospect level, it would be exactly that....a surprise.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:01 PM
DarthSather99

You missed the juiciest post telling their direction with this team.

"When this group of core players we have, in two, three years when they really start coming of age, I think then we'll be in position to really add some significant free agents," Maloney said, though he would not rule out the Rangers doing some shopping next summer.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Edge

That's what i was saying a week ago in that the Rangers are looking to build a core and then add the exclamation point. I think they are looking to get guys who can play on the team and then from a position of strength make a deal or sign a 25/26 year old free agent capstone.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Apparently the Coyotes have some interest in Mike Dunham

Old
08-08-2005, 10:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
No we got McCarthy at the deadline..i think we picked him on Waivers, we didnt trade for him.
From the Bruins,Sandy has likely played his last game in NHL

Old
08-08-2005, 10:19 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
From the Bruins,Sandy has likely played his last game in NHL

Good, he was great with the Rangers 2-3 years ago...but his last stint was just embrassing. I heard he said he wanted to get rid of the "enforcer" image...well buddy..thats pretty much all you had going for you.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:36 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Good, he was great with the Rangers 2-3 years ago...but his last stint was just embrassing. I heard he said he wanted to get rid of the "enforcer" image...well buddy..thats pretty much all you had going for you.

I rememeber he had some good games as a Ranger, but as of now, all he does is stare, that wont scare the goons in the league.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Original6

Quote:
But Maloney said the biggest shock came when the Los Angeles Kings signed goalie Jason LaBarbera, a former AHL MVP with Hartford who has played in five NHL games, to a two-year, one-way deal worth $800,000 per season. To help fill that void, the Rangers could sign Swedish goalie Johan Asplund, a third-round pick in 1999, perhaps as soon as today. Also, the team is considering signing Nebraska-Omaha goalie Chris Holt, a sixth-round pick in 2003. He is in camp this week.
I wonder if he stole this thought from almost every NHL analyst in north america.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
I wonder if he stole this thought from almost every NHL analyst in north america.
Huh?

Old
08-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I rememeber he had some good games as a Ranger, but as of now, all he does is stare, that wont scare the goons in the league.
He did a good job scaring alot of players with his mean glare actually.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Original6

Quote:
Huh?
I mean maloney probably heard the same thing from an Hockey Analyst on tv and thought to himself "hmmm if someone interviews me I'll just say this to make myself look more credible."

Old
08-09-2005, 01:27 AM
eco's bones

On Labarbera. The Kings obviously think he has the talent to at least be a backup.
From what I've seen he has issues as far as quickness in his net and recovering his balance (at times) after making a save. Very good at the AHL. Has not looked that hot in his few opportunities for the Rangers. He's also around (25?). I don't consider him a big loss but for some reason it seems to have thrown our plans some what out of kilter. (?) Oh well.

Old
08-09-2005, 02:06 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
I mean maloney probably heard the same thing from an Hockey Analyst on tv and thought to himself "hmmm if someone interviews me I'll just say this to make myself look more credible."
You really think there is a "Hockey Analyst" out there discussing LaBarbera?

There are plenty of better, more creative ways to bash this organization.

Old
08-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Original6

Quote:
You really think there is a "Hockey Analyst" out there discussing LaBarbera?

There are plenty of better, more creative ways to bash this organization.
ROFL!!! I cut and pasted the wrong section I meant this one...

Quote:
"What surprised us most (last week) was the term of the contracts," Maloney said. "There were some five-year deals, some four-year deals for 30, 31, 32 and older. We've learned by experience that it's a risk, to say the least."

Old
08-09-2005, 03:44 AM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Johan 'better than Holmqvist' Asplund??? Hasn't he been a disappointment in Sweden?
He was really bad in Brynäs earlier. But last season something happened to him and he was really good in Nyköping (allsvenskan, tier2). He was thus signed to the SEL-team Timrå. He´s an ok prospect though, I wouldn´t give up on him fully. But i really doubt he is good enough to be in the NHL one day...

Closed Thread