HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Riggins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrham15 View Post
Now you've done it every fool who reads this is expecting Patrick Kane.
The same ones who thought Avtsin was mini Ovechkin?

Old
02-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Jrham15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count of DannyKristo View Post
The same ones who thought Avtsin was mini Ovechkin?
Yep.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Sergei kostitsyn was more like a patrick kane light... but gotta keep in perspective to be fair to the dude who compared him... kane is already one small piece of meat so it makes a bit of sense.

Seriously tought... got to be positive here... the guy as lots of talents lets just hope he put all the other pieces together. He could be a sergei kostitsyn clone hopefully with little more brains and a heck more judgement.

Old
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Sergei kostitsyn was more like a patrick kane light... but gotta keep in perspective to be fair to the dude who compared him... kane is already one small piece of meat so it makes a bit of sense.

Seriously tought... got to be positive here... the guy as lots of talents lets just hope he put all the other pieces together. He could be a sergei kostitsyn clone hopefully with little more brains and a heck more judgement.
i think he's definitely more skilled than SK was.

Raw skill-wise, I don't think comparing Reway to elite players is that egregious.

It's more so that he's not that likely to reach those heights due to size and decision-making. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic but I think he can over come those two deficiencies.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:10 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Was Corey Locke as skilled as Reway is?
Locke was very skilled, but his skating was never up to par. It was a real weakness for him. Reway is a much better skater than Locke, so that is a major advantage for him. They also play really different styles. There isn't a lot of similarity between the 2 other than they both put up big points in junior.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Locke was very skilled, but his skating was never up to par. It was a real weakness for him. Reway is a much better skater than Locke, so that is a major advantage for him. They also play really different styles. There isn't a lot of similarity between the 2 other than they both put up big points in junior.
Locke was never as shifty as Reway was. Locke had a pretty high IQ, but never as elusive though really talented. If you really want to compare Reway, remember Josef Balej.

Old
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Locke was never as shifty as Reway was. Locke had a pretty high IQ, but never as elusive though really talented. If you really want to compare Reway, remember Josef Balej.
So I guess we will trade reway in 2 years for Nash? freaking Sather owe us one. Lol

Old
02-23-2014, 09:43 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
So I guess we will trade reway in 2 years for Nash? freaking Sather owe us one. Lol
with the option to pick one of Reway, Bozon or Andrighetto.

Habs Prospects website
Old
02-24-2014, 01:40 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkovsKnee View Post
Agree that Reway is a better skater but both players have size issue and are defensively flawed, Locke used to play a high risk game just like Reway is, cheating a bit on D to generate more offense, something that wont work in the Pros in a structured hockey system..

Old
02-24-2014, 06:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That would be stupid, based on who were signed in the past year or 2 but here's Mark Seidel Tweet....

https://twitter.com/MarkSeidel/statu...58570622722048

Quote:
DT: I keep hearing MTL is leaning against signing Brady Vail & I’m at a complete loss. He does a lot of things right & is worth a contract!

Old
02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Jrham15

Quote:
That would be stupid, based on who were signed in the past year or 2 but here's Mark Seidel Tweet....

But... Why.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:30 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Not signing Brady Vail would just be stupid.

The kid deserves a contract. Do we have to make a decision with contract slots? Who else needs a contract, Thrower, Bennett and MacMillan?

Old
02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

He's no Nevins.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:40 PM
EveryDay

Quote:

The guy is dominating the OHL this year why Bergevin? that would be very stupid....

Old
02-24-2014, 06:43 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

He needs to grind more and he doesn't have enough Character

Old
02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's no Nevins.
Yep...MUCH more promising. Would make no sense but somehow....I wouldn't be surprised.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:52 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
The guy is dominating the OHL this year why Bergevin? that would be very stupid....
Vail's having a good season, but let's get real here for a second. He is most definitely NOT dominating the OHL.

I think it would be a mistake to not sign him, but I really don't think he's going to be anything more than a fourth line centre, if that. Sure he's great defensively, and sure he's having a great season, but he's not a difference maker and is a very quiet contributor at the OHL level. Although he's put up the points, very rarely do actually see him control the game, or be the best player on the ice (in my opinion anyway). I don't see much upside at the pro level, let alone the NHL level. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Old
02-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Vail's having a good season, but let's get real here for a second. He is most definitely NOT dominating the OHL.

I think it would be a mistake to not sign him, but I really don't think he's going to be anything more than a fourth line centre, if that. Sure he's great defensively, and sure he's having a great season, but he's not a difference maker and is a very quiet contributor at the OHL level. Although he's put up the points, very rarely do actually see him control the game, or be the best player on the ice (in my opinion anyway). I don't see much upside at the pro level, let alone the NHL level. I certainly hope I'm wrong.
Well 13th in scoring, that's not too bad. In the end, seeing how small we are, we would be looking for a guy like that. At the dev. camp, we will invite guys like him. Or at least try. So now, we have one. Give him 1 contract. And see after. No idea why they wouldn't go with that. So we had the patience to see if Quailer would improve but not Vail? And tons of others like that? Can't agree with that decision if true.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:09 PM
That

Quote:
Well 13th in scoring, that's not too bad. In the end, seeing how small we are, we would be looking for a guy like that. At the dev. camp, we will invite guys like him. Or at least try. So now, we have one. Give him 1 contract. And see after. No idea why they wouldn't go with that. So we had the patience to see if Quailer would improve but not Vail? And tons of others like that? Can't agree with that decision if true.
Where he sits in the scoring race means little to me. Dominating typically means your controlling the game, continually creating chances. That's not Vail and never has been. Also, I don't see the size argument. He's got a decent frame, but he's not "big" and he's certainly doesn't play big. Pretty good along the walls, but rarely will he throw a hit. He's lost the edge that he had to start last season.

Good point on Quailer though, and I'd like to add Fournier and Nevins to the discussion. I understand the desire to add size, but by no means are they any less of a project than Vail. I certainly think he's a better prospect them, too.

I do not intend to discredit what he's done this year. Too often it gets left unmentioned that he rarely plays (or played) with Ho-Sang and Rychel, but he still has grabbed the points.

Old
02-24-2014, 07:21 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Puzzling development to say the least (if accurate). I always saw him as a low risk gamble. If Mr. McCagg happens to see this, does you have any comment on the tweet itself? Did the Habs spot a particular issue that suggests he has such a tiny shot at the NHL?

Old
02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Where he sits in the scoring race means little to me. Dominating typically means your controlling the game, continually creating chances. That's not Vail and never has been. Also, I don't see the size argument. He's got a decent frame, but he's not "big" and he's certainly doesn't play big. Pretty good along the walls, but rarely will he throw a hit. He's lost the edge that he had to start last season.

Good point on Quailer though, and I'd like to add Fournier and Nevins to the discussion. I understand the desire to add size, but by no means are they any less of a project than Vail. I certainly think he's a better prospect them, too.

I do not intend to discredit what he's done this year. Too often it gets left unmentioned that he rarely plays (or played) with Ho-Sang and Rychel, but he still has grabbed the points.
My problem with that decision is that once they thought something, they don't seem to be able to change their views. Vail was with Bozon the only guy who was sent home before the preseason. And then Vail was cut by the US squad fairly soon. Seems to me that he had already 2 strikes and that no matter his season, he was gone....IF the rumor is true. So yes, he might not be the perfect player, but sorry, we've signed guys that were WAY less the perfect players too. How he got himself going means that he'd deserve a shot.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:

Really? I don't think you're watching many of his games, because there have been a number of nights when he's the best player on the ice.
To be top 15 in OHL scoring with the lack of offensive talent he has to play with on that team is impressive to me, considering he's also one of the best defensive centers in the league. He has decent size, skates okay, sees the ice well and has something you can't teach - hockey sense.

I would think it's a no brainer to give him a contract. If you think he might be the fourth line center some day.....you sign him. No shame to be behind the likes of Eller, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, DLR, McCarron or whoever else is at center in a few years. Fourth line center is one of the 15 most important positions in an organization..and you have 50 or so contracts....yup..you sign him.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Wow they're leaning towards not signing him, but signed Steve Qualier...

They better sign him, or at least trade him for something so they don't look like complete tools.

Old
02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

That makes absolutely zero sense.

Vail getting signed should be a no brainer...unless HE doesn't want to sign for some reason.

He's on pace for 90 points, is 6'1" center who skates well and is good defensively...what's not to like?

Old
02-24-2014, 08:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
My problem with that decision is that once they thought something, they don't seem to be able to change their views. Vail was with Bozon the only guy who was sent home before the preseason. And then Vail was cut by the US squad fairly soon. Seems to me that he had already 2 strikes and that no matter his season, he was gone....IF the rumor is true. So yes, he might not be the perfect player, but sorry, we've signed guys that were WAY less the perfect players too. How he got himself going means that he'd deserve a shot.
I think you take the chance. I mean, he looked pretty decent in his ATO time with the Bulldogs. He's a smart player. Yeah, maybe he doesn't end up much. However, he could end up similar to the Jeff Halpern we had here in Montreal. That'a a serviceable player.

Closed Thread