HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2013-14 Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Woodhouse

vCash: 50
Roster Speculation 2013-14 Part IV

Continued from: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1582255

Old
02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
CraniumCram
Bring back BJS

vCash: 500
Oooh, fresh pickins!

I'm all for sending the kids down, it'll help us suck more too. I'm just gonna go watch some basketball

23-0

Old
02-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Imlach a cup

More Omark in the top 6 worst case he sucks and we lose more. Best case he doesn't suck and we still lose. Girgensons to Roc for Playoffs

23-0

Old
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
More Omark in the top 6 worst case he sucks and we lose more. Best case he doesn't suck and we still lose. Girgensons to Roc for Playoffs

23-0
When would Girgs have to go down to be eligible for the AHL playoffs?

And can Flynn still go down without waivers?

Old
02-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I can't wait for this year's "Kassian for Hodgson"

Old
02-10-2014, 01:59 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Hopefully it's Armia then

Old
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Leino for Booth!

Old
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

Flynn is not exempt from waivers and hasn't been for a good 30+ games. NCAA free agents usually only have 2 years and 48 games of waiver exemption.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Sabresfansince1980

What's up with Armia anyway. His stat line is pretty blah and I haven't heard much about him playing good hockey. He's almost 21 has time to develop still, but is he lagging behind? Should we be counting on one more year in Rochester and a projected role as a secondary scorer (at best)?

Old
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
What's up with Armia anyway. His stat line is pretty blah and I haven't heard much about him playing good hockey. He's almost 21 has time to develop still, but is he lagging behind? Should we be counting on one more year in Rochester and a projected role as a secondary scorer (at best)?
That's where I'm at right now. Where you got picked at age 18 doesn't mean much past a point.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

Armia will be here next year. He is adapting to the North American game style so trading him after just 28 games in North America would be a mistake. I give him this whole season to adjust himself to the new playing style then compete for a top 9 spot next season. He will probably be in the top 6 by the end of next season!!!

Hes only 20, lets not scrutinize and call him outta town yet. I'm Sure Timmy knows what's best for his development so he can play here and be an important player for a long time

Old
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
From what I have seen he is a legit sniper, he has the hands the vision, the moves and the RELEASE. His biggest problems is probably adjusting to the smaller surface, physicality of the game and the fact he is thousands of miles away from his home. I think he will need another whole year in Rochester and it would only help him, especially if they make a deep playoff run and he plays with Girgs/Grigs. People with more insight feel free to correct me.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

An extra year in the AHL is never a bad idea though, especially considering we will likely acquire lots of talent at the deadline and with our top pick in this years draft aswell, Reinhart really gives us that lethal #1 Center we desperately need, while Eckblad gives us one of the most ridiculous Blue Lines for years to come to go along with Zadorov, Ristolanin, Pysyk, Myers etc. But Edmonton would be foolish to take Reinhart

Old
02-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Armia will be here next year. He is adapting to the North American game style so trading him after just 28 games in North America would be a mistake. I give him this whole season to adjust himself to the new playing style then compete for a top 9 spot next season. He will probably be in the top 6 by the end of next season!!!

Hes only 20, lets not scrutinize and call him outta town yet. I'm Sure Timmy knows what's best for his development so he can play here and be an important player for a long time
Whoa, pump the brakes!

Old
02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
toejam56

Quote:
In an organeyezation without scorers or snipers, Armia is a sniper. Gotta give him alot of time to adjust.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
An extra year in the AHL is never a bad idea though, especially considering we will likely acquire lots of talent at the deadline and with our top pick in this years draft aswell, Reinhart really gives us that lethal #1 Center we desperately need, while Eckblad gives us one of the most ridiculous Blue Lines for years to come to go along with Zadorov, Ristolanin, Pysyk, Myers etc. But Edmonton would be foolish to take Reinhart
It sounds real good on paper but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Reinhart or Ekblad. In any other draft I think Ekblad would not be in the top 5 and Reinhart I haven't got to see play but I hear consistancy complaints. He's even fallen off in some draft rankings, not because he's lacking the skill they think he has but because other players are showing huge strides in improvement. However I don't think our future #1C comes in this draft but I think a very nice complimentary player will come in this draft in either Reinhart or Draisaitl.

Next year the #1C will come in McDavid or Barzal or Eichel.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Here is the press release from AHL.com for last year's deadline:

Quote:
The AHL’s playoff roster deadline will be Monday, Apr. 22, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET, by which time all 16 playoff teams must submit to the league a list of playoff-eligible players. Only those players on a team’s playoff eligibility list, plus signed draft choices and players signed to amateur tryout contracts, are eligible to compete in the Calder Cup Playoffs. Players from lower professional leagues can also be added if they played in at least eight games in the AHL and/or a lower league in 2012-13.

AHL Clear Day roster restrictions have been removed. Any eligible player on a club’s roster may participate at any time during the remainder of the regular season and the Calder Cup Playoffs.

And per National Hockey League rules, only those players who have been recalled from an AHL club following the NHL trade deadline (Wednesday, Apr. 3, 2013 at 3 p.m. ET) may be returned to the AHL during the remainder of the season.
Mark Pysyk, Brian Flynn and Luke Adam were paper-transactioned last year so they were eligible for the playoffs.

A challenge can be that the NHL club must have a roster of at least 20 players. So you need to have enough players if you are trading some away, and wanting to paper-transaction others to the AHL.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:38 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsPoe View Post
It sounds real good on paper but let's not get ahead of ourselves with Reinhart or Ekblad. In any other draft I think Ekblad would not be in the top 5 and Reinhart I haven't got to see play but I hear consistancy complaints. He's even fallen off in some draft rankings, not because he's lacking the skill they think he has but because other players are showing huge strides in improvement. However I don't think our future #1C comes in this draft but I think a very nice complimentary player will come in this draft in either Reinhart or Draisaitl.

Next year the #1C will come in McDavid or Barzal or Eichel.
Well you think wrong. Ekblad is getting very underrated around these parts. The guy plays every facet of hockey very well. How many guys are granted exceptional status? and quite frankly he's done nothing but improve since he came into the OHL. It really is a case of what have you done for me lately on HF. Less then a month ago the guy scored 4 goals in a game, now he's a goat because he had a minus 6 the other day. .

Old
02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Well you think wrong. Ekblad is getting very underrated around these parts. The guy plays every facet of hockey very well. How many guys are granted exceptional status? and quite frankly he's done nothing but improve since he came into the OHL. It really is a case of what have you done for me lately on HF. Less then a month ago the guy scored 4 goals in a game, now he's a goat because he had a minus 6 the other day. .
He's not underrated but if you look at the defensemen in the last few drafts, do you think he will be better than Seth Jones and Ristolainen who were top 2 defensmen is a very deep draft last year? than Ryan Murray from Columbus was picked 2nd overall the year prior to last year's draft which was probably as strong as this one will be. Combine all these defensemen with previous years and do you still see him being in the top 5? Everyone know's this is a shallow draft year. It's easy to look like a winner when the competition is thin.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:22 PM
hizzoner

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king......

Old
02-10-2014, 06:47 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
He's not underrated but if you look at the defensemen in the last few drafts, do you think he will be better than Seth Jones and Ristolainen who were top 2 defensmen is a very deep draft last year? than Ryan Murray from Columbus was picked 2nd overall the year prior to last year's draft which was probably as strong as this one will be. Combine all these defensemen with previous years and do you still see him being in the top 5? Everyone know's this is a shallow draft year. It's easy to look like a winner when the competition is thin.
Yes I think he'll be better than all three of those guys. I do however see Jones and Ekblad being very close. People point to this draft being thin because there's not a lot of talent outside of the first round. People have been talking about
Ekblad as a potential first overall pick since last year. He's a fantastic prospect, one of the best defenseman to come out in years.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabre Die Hard

Quote:
Yes I think he'll be better than all three of those guys. I do however see Jones and Ekblad being very close. People point to this draft being thin because there's not a lot of talent outside of the first round. People have been talking about
Ekblad as a potential first overall pick since last year. He's a fantastic prospect, one of the best defenseman to come out in years.
Let me fix that for you, "potentially" best defenseman to come out in years. I just hope the Sabres don't draft him. If they do get first overall pick I would say trade that pick for a bona fide NHL ready young player.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
He needs another year to stew, for sure. He's a smooth skater, but not an explosive one. You can tell he has stellar offensive instincts, and his release is a thing of beauty. With that said, he floats from play-to-play, hardly engages physically, and needs to work on his defense. Some of that will be improved with more time in NA, and some of that is just his temperament. At this point, he reminds me of a very poor man's Vanek...as in a 20-goal-a-year version of Thomas.

It's hard to predict entirely, but I don't see a top-line winger. Second liner? Far more realistic and something to hope for at this point. Just for reference, I've seen him quite a bit, including twice over the weekend.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Djp

Quote:

In the past players were sent down in papaer transations so they are AHL playoff eligible.

Assuming Pysyk gets called up, foligno, Pysyk and Girgensons are the ones who would be AHL eligible.

With Foligno as far as I can tell, even if they prorated the games he played last season to an 82 game year for purposes of determining if 160 game waiver cut off is met, in his case he should not exceed that and be able to play in the playoffs. Pysyk and girgensons each would have AHL eliginility left to so I see all 2 getting paper transacted to AHL for a day in order for them to be on the roster for the playoffs.

Once Flynn hit 60 NHL games he losst waiver freedom.

Quote:
I am not saying Ekblad is poor...Im just comparing him to Jones, Ristolainen, and others that have been drafted over the last 3-4 years. I do not think he is the best defenseman.

draft being thin has nothing to do with the top 5-10 picks...the thinness has to do with the 2nd round on down.

In my evaluation im just looking at it as where would they draft. Playing in the NHL is something entirely different. There have been many examples of the top defensemen not being taken in the top 5 of their draft.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:36 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Let me fix that for you, "potentially" best defenseman to come out in years. I just hope the Sabres don't draft him. If they do get first overall pick I would say trade that pick for a bona fide NHL ready young player.
I don't think the sabres should draft him either. Reinhart has shown himself to be a fantastic prospect as well and our need for high end talent at forward far exceeds our need for another top pairing defenseman. I'm simply stating he's a top 5 pick in nearly any draft and he's certainly worthy of being drafted 1st overall. We'll see who ends up being the better player among all the defenseman drafted in the last few years, i'd feel pretty safe betting that Ekblad will be right up near the top of that list.

Closed Thread