HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2013-14 Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Zman5778

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I haven't seen this discussed yet (If it has, you can scold me).

Assuming the Sabres draft Reinhart or Bennett this year...
How likely is it that the team lets the player stew in juniors next year, regardless of how well they show in camp? Do they use that as a tool to stay bad enough to get another top pick in 2015? Or do they (or you) think neither player can have enough impact to stop them from being a bottom 3 team again?
I'm just gonna piggyback it with this question, one I don't know the answer to:

Who's the last #1 pick to not play immediately in the NHL? I think it's EJ back in 2006....

So who's the last forward to go #1 and go back to junior/NCAA?

And to the question -- I think Reinhart is with the Sabres next year, but Bennett goes back to the Fronts.

Old
02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Keep anyone you want to have an impact away from this team next year. After we sell the remaining pieces off at the deadline next year, then start to call the deserving up and let them get their feet wet.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I'm just gonna piggyback it with this question, one I don't know the answer to:

Who's the last #1 pick to not play immediately in the NHL? I think it's EJ back in 2006....

So who's the last forward to go #1 and go back to junior/NCAA?

And to the question -- I think Reinhart is with the Sabres next year, but Bennett goes back to the Fronts.
I generally agree with this. Reinhart seems like he'd get the year. Bennett would be a camp/9-game evaluation situation. If they they think he's better served in juniors send him back, but he could justify staying in the NHL.

Ekblad is the interesting case to me. If the Sabres end up in a position where they think they can't not take him, looking at what next year's defense will probably look like, I think you can make an easy case to keep him in juniors for the year.

As for the 2015 implications, I doubt any of these prospects, individually, are going to seriously effect the Sabres draft position.

Old
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Coconut Head
Is the is are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I suspect they'll use the mid-late 1st they acquire dealing Miller on a goaltender.

I could even see them packaging that 1st along with LA or Min 2nd to move up and get one.

Ullmark is looking great... But Hackett isn't... And Enroth doesn't fit Taco's mold. They need to fill the couffer
If we're going to take a goalie, I wouldn't use a first on one. I'm certainly not averse to taking demko with a 2nd, however. I doubt a goalie goes in the first round this year, kinda like fucale last year

Old
02-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Rodrigo
AKA Jose

Alex Nedeljkovic would be great! He is an american who plays for the Plymouth Whalers, the kid is a stud! 17 already starting every game in a great organization! He has a save percentage of 922% on the season!

He would be a great pick to use in the 2nd or 3rd round!

Old
02-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Woodhouse
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 162
FYI, with Miller and Enroth in Sochi, Vogl says the goalie substitutes in practice were Canisius College sophomore Adam Harris and former Morrisville netminder Chris Azzano, while Hoppe says they were Harris and Steele DeFazio, a former Junior Sabre who played at Queens University.

Old
02-21-2014, 03:04 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
FYI, with Miller and Enroth in Sochi, Vogl says the goalie substitutes in practice were Canisius College sophomore Adam Harris and former Morrisville netminder Chris Azzano, while Hoppe says they were Harris and Steele DeFazio, a former Junior Sabre who played at Queens University.
Sabres website agrees with Vogl: http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=26427

Old
02-21-2014, 04:36 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

We should bring back Zagrapan. After all...

Old
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
joshjull

John Scott tossed from practice today

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...y.html?ref=bmh

Quote:
The most unusual thing about practice came late in the session, when John Scott suddenly let out a loud bellow, broke his stick on the ice, through it against the boards and headed for the dressing room. There was some thought there was an injury involved but Nolan said afterward he actually threw Scott, who was filling in on defense, out of practice.

"He just fumbled the puck a few times in practice and I didn't like it," Nolan said. "In order for us to get better here, we have to practice better. He just had one of those moments I didn't like so I sent him off."
----------------------------------------

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/18448629...entId=14759419

Quote:
Sunday the team was back to using lines. They were,

Ott-Hodgson-D’Agostini (Girgensons)
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Leino-Flynn
Ellis-Konopka-McCormick

John Scott played defense to give them six at practice.

Nolan said he wasn’t expecting Girgensons on the ice so he just threw him on Hodgson’s line. He said Girgensons will continue to play center.
Good to see McCormick back in action.

I'm assuming Leino is scratched since it appears he is holding Girgs spot.
----------------------------------

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...y.html?ref=bmh
Quote:
The Sabres continued to practice today with fill-in goalies, and interim coach Ted Nolan said his regular tandem of Ryan Miller & Jhonas Enroth, along with defenseman Henrik Tallinder were expected back in Buffalo early this afternoon.

Nolan reiterated his plan is to start Miller tomorrow and not call up a goaltender from Rochester. He said he also did not expect any other callups from the Amerks for now.

It will be interesting to see how Miller reacts to the time-zone adjustment from Russia. Someone like Tallinder would only see 15-20 minutes of ice time, compared to a goalie who is on the ice the entire game.

"That will be like playing at 4 a.m. for him maybe," Nolan said of Miller. "It will be a different challenge but hopefully he has some sleep and will be somewhat awake at some point."

"Having done a couple of those overseas trips, it's never a good feeling right when you get back," said defenseman Tyler Myers. "We're going to have to help Millsie out as much as we can."

Last edited by joshjull: 02-24-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old
02-24-2014, 02:48 PM
sabregoat

The most unusual thing about practice came late in the session, when John Scott suddenly let out a loud bellow, broke his stick on the ice, through it against the boards and headed for the dressing room. There was some thought there was an injury involved but Nolan said afterward he actually threw Scott, who was filling in on defense, out of practice.

"He just fumbled the puck a few times in practice and I didn't like it," Nolan said. "In order for us to get better here, we have to practice better. He just had one of those moments I didn't like so I sent him off."

Good job Teddy, make an example out of your least skilled player on the team.

Old
02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabregoat View Post

Good job Teddy, make an example out of your least skilled player on the team.

haha...does seem odd.. Teddy just grumpy from jetlag.. all good tho .. im sure its no big deal.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Has anyone else besides me forgotten about Kaleta? What happens with him in the future? (sorry if this was covered in one of the other roster threads).

Old
02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1point21Gigawatts View Post
Has anyone else besides me forgotten about Kaleta? What happens with him in the future? (sorry if this was covered in one of the other roster threads).
I think he makes the team next season.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:27 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1point21Gigawatts View Post
Honestly, I have and that's because he's forgettable. Just what we need for the '14-'15 tank.

(Not a fan)

Old
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I'd like to see Kaleta back as the 4th line RW...as long as he takes the borderline stuff out. If he can, I'd pencil him in that position and hope he sticks around through another contract.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:41 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Honestly, I have and that's because he's forgettable. Just what we need for the '14-'15 tank.

(Not a fan)
I think that this sums up my opinion of him perfectly. Good for losing, at this point, but not much after that...

I used to defend him because Good Old Buffalo Boy!! But his game is on the south side of dirty and he doesn't help our image and i got tired of defending him

Old
03-03-2014, 11:28 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

So, Dubnyk on waivers. Anyone interested?

Old
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sure, why not. (Assuming we trade Halak.)

Old
03-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Dunkster19

Quote:
No. I think we have better goalies in our system.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
The reasoning would be to keep those goalies in Rochester so they can play in the Playoffs.... Dubi wouldn't be a long time fixture.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
The reasoning would be to keep those goalies in Rochester so they can play in the Playoffs.... Dubi wouldn't be a long time fixture.
And he's a UFA this summer.

I'd claim him if Halak is a goner to back up Enroth the rest of the way. Keep the two guys in Rochester there for the stretch run.

Old
03-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Djp

Dubnyk would be a stop gap if Halak is going to get traded.

the issue is then who do you call up? Do you want to hurt rochester? You want Rochester to make the playoffs.

They can claim him and then hold onto him for 2 days until the dealine passes and if halak is still on the team they just waive him again and whomever else claims him could have him.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
As others have said, it wouldn't be for the future. It'd be a guy to back up Enroth for the rest of the season if we trade Halak.

To be honest though, we really don't have better goalies in our system as it pertains to the immediate future (next season). Are Lieuwen and Hackett better? We shouldn't assume so. It's neither here nor there though, because Dubnyk would be gone after the season and we'd sign another veteran.

Old
03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
26CornerBlitz

@BillHoppeNHL

I just spoke to Cory Conacher's agent ... he thinks the #Sabres might be interested ... http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/don...cory-conacher/

#Buffalo

Old
03-05-2014, 03:45 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Who wants to slap together some lines now that deadline day is over? We have about 5 legitimate NHLers on this roster.

Closed Thread