HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Osminator

vCash: 500
Absolutely effing pathetic, everyone except for DGM should be made to walk back from Albany to Hartford. It would have been better if they hadn't made the trip and just forfeit the game over the phone... Awful.

Old
03-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Bourque, even though I'd like for them to resign, might not be there either.
The idea of not bringing back Bourque is ridiculous. He's a very good AHLer with a shot to make the NHL. I think he has a reasonable shot at becoming an NHL fill-in, and an outside shot to become a regular.

Quote:
It's good to have Skapski and DGM as a tandem, but is that enough?
Should be enough to start the season. Dov is definitely a quality goalie. If Skapski proves incapable of being even an AHL backup, we can bring in another goalie. This year, we found two quality AHL goalies, no reason we can't find one next year. But Skapski should get a chance to start the season in the AHL.

Quote:
I think Donnay would be in an HWP sweater next year too, but he might need developing in Greenville.
He's likely to need some time in Greenville. It's rare that big defensemen can just jump to the AHL. Even MCI, who was drafted at #10, had trouble keeping up in the AHL early on and he's very special for a guy his size.

Look at Noreau. He's much more physically developed, weighing an extra 40 pounds. His skills are better, as evidence by him having about 0.5 points per game in his last junior season, compared to a negligible number of assists by Donnay. Noreau is a better skater than Donnay. And yet, Noreau is now in the ECHL and will likely finish the season there.

I think next year Noreau moves to Hartford, while Donnay takes his spot in Greenville.

Old
03-15-2014, 11:29 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Didn't realize Skapski turns 20 before July 1 - that's good. I still say sign DGM to an NHL deal to serve as a mentor/insurance for him.

A couple of things regarding Beacon's projected lineup:

- Kristo is a group VI UFA if he doesn't get 80 NHL games before the end of next season (he turns 25 before the end of his contract). So, we need to play him, trade him or risk losing him for nothing.

- I agree that Miller, Fast and Allen are all ready to show what they can do, but I don't necessarily see them all making the team out of camp.

- I imagine that Haggerty will likely start out in the AHL. (And if he doesn't one of Miller/Fast is DEFINITELY not making the big club.)

- As Eco's points out, I really don't see Jean getting another contract. (What the hell happened to that guy?)

- Vaive and Rowe are likely placeholders for random AHL contracts. Hopefully whoever we get are better than our current AHL contracts. I would frankly be happy to devote one or two NHL contracts to get real quality AAAA talent in there and build a culture of professionalism and winning. Hensick isn't a bad choice, but if we can get one more (or two better), I'd be all in favor.

- In addition to Skapski, Donnay is 20 years old and will likely join the Wolfpack.

- It's a minor point, but Hughes is a right D.

I cant see us inserting more than 2 rookies in the lineup for next season. My guesses would be Miller and Allen. That leaves McI, Lindberg and Fast at AHL for at least half a season or unless we get rolled with injuries.

Even when the current young NHL players were coming up we didn't have more than 2 rookies in the lineup.

Old
03-16-2014, 01:31 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I cant see us inserting more than 2 rookies in the lineup for next season. My guesses would be Miller and Allen. That leaves McI, Lindberg and Fast at AHL for at least half a season or unless we get rolled with injuries.

Even when the current young NHL players were coming up we didn't have more than 2 rookies in the lineup.
So, you're agreeing with me then?

Old
03-16-2014, 02:38 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post

In 2007-08, we inserted Girardi (less NHL experience than Miller), Staal (no pro experience), Callahan (same NHL experience as Fast) and Dubinsky (same NHL experience as Allen). That's 4 rookies with little to no NHL experience starting the season with the Rangers and sticking around in the NHL for the rest of their career. On top of that, Valiquette became the team's backup goalie, so that's 5 rookies.

In 2009-10, we got Anisimov (no NHL experience), Gilroy (no pro experience) and Boyle (less NHL experience than Miller). So even when the rookies aren't super-talented, the Rangers are still willing to go with 3 of them at once.

The following year, we added Stepan, Del Zotto and Sauer made it with no prior NHL experience, plus McDonagh and Zuccarello spent half a season in the NHL. That's 5 rookies.

Also, in 2005-06, it was Lundqvist, Prucha, Dom Moore, Marcel Hossa, Betts, Hollweg and Tyutin. That's 7(!) rookies in one year, ranging from great (Hank) to good (Tuts) to crappy 4th liners. But if you were ready for any role, you got it.

To say that the Rangers are unwilling to add more than 2 rookies is flat-out false. They will add 3-5 prospects per year, if they are ready, whether the prospects are key players like Staal and Lundqvist or borderline NHLers like Hollweg and Hossa.

If we have 5 prospects who are ready, we'll have 5 rookies playing.

Old
03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

If we have 5 prospects who are ready, we'll have 5 rookies playing.
Not just ready, they have to be able to outplay someone on the current roster. Of course there is also roster spots opening up from expiring contracts. For instance this year Fast will have almost no chance to make the roster even though he is definitely ready due to the RW depth, unless they plan on letting him play on the left, or switching someone else there. I doubt they let him fill a 4th line role, not saying he couldn't do that. Miller seems like a lock to make the team next year. I could see a scenario where they sign Stastny or (god forbid) keep Richards though, leaving him no spot in the top-9 at C. Then he's in the same boat as Fast. Lindberg will have no chance. They will resign one of Boyle or Moore. Conor Allen will probably make the team depending on what they do with Stralman.

I think next year is one of those rare seasons where there is a chance little to no rookies crack the line-up due to a lack of room for them. If this team is truly trying to win now they can't afford to add 3 prospects and hope they all play consistent roles for an entire season.

rip
Old
03-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

With Leetch, Patrick, Karpovtsev and Lidster already on the team as offensive defensemen, there was no space for Zubov in 1993-94. But he was obviously ready (led the team in scoring) and they traded away Patrick.

There was no space for McDonagh because Staal, Rosie and Gilroy were on the team. But he was ready, so Rosie got traded.

If Miller and Lindberg both can play in the NHL, and they already have Step, Brass and Richards/Stastny, they will trade one of them, most likely Brass.

If Allen and MCI are both ready, they will trade Klein.

Old
03-16-2014, 04:21 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
With Leetch, Patrick, Karpovtsev and Lidster already on the team as offensive defensemen, there was no space for Zubov in 1993-94. But he was obviously ready (led the team in scoring) and they traded away Patrick.
Mark Messier took issue with Zubov and Nedved. That's why they were traded, didn't have anything to do with Zubov's on ice performance (which was excellent btw) as much as locker room issues.

Rumor was that Zubov was such a throwback, that he'd smoke a cigarette in between periods. Don't know if it was true or not, but Messier hated Zubov.

Old
03-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Mark Messier took issue with Zubov and Nedved. That's why they were traded, didn't have anything to do with Zubov's on ice performance (which was excellent btw) as much as locker room issues.

Rumor was that Zubov was such a throwback, that he'd smoke a cigarette in between periods. Don't know if it was true or not, but Messier hated Zubov.

I was talking about two years prior to that: 1993-94, not 1995-96.

What you mentioned was partly true, but the team and even more the fans were upset with Zubov's soft play on defense in the 1995 playoffs. He was absolutely manhandled along defensive boards.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:22 PM
E-Train

Quote:
What you mentioned was partly true, but the team and even more the fans were upset with Zubov's soft play on defense in the 1995 playoffs. He was absolutely manhandled along defensive boards.
Exactly. Mess hated Nedved, Zubov was moved because the Flyers ran wild on the Rangers D in that series.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:30 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So, you're agreeing with me then?

Well yes.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Hensick is not going to stick around on an AHL contract. Whether you like it or not if you want to have a successful minor league operation--one that wins with some regularity in which you can bring up your better prospects in a good situation you have to be willing to burn 5 or 6 NHL contracts. There's only so many prospects that are going to make it anyway--what you want is a system in which you can graduate at least 2 guys a year to the NHL and sometimes 3 or 4. Burning those contracts is the price you have to pay to get that.
Agreed, that's what I meant when posting about it.

Old
03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Hensick is on an AHL deal right now. It's not inconceivable that he returns on an AHL contract. Unlikely, but not inconceivable.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:00 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Hensick is on an AHL deal right now. It's not inconceivable that he returns on an AHL contract. Unlikely, but not inconceivable.
Hensick came back half way through the year from playing somewhere in Europe. If he sticks to North America next year someone will absolutely give him a two way NHL contract--someone might even give him a one way NHL contract.

Old
03-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Ola

Marcus Naslund gave Hensick a lot of money to play for MoDo in Sweden.

Going by first impression, everyone though MoDo had made one of the better off-season acquisitions. I don't know what happen, but Hensick didn't get it done. The official report was that they just didn't think he was in good enough shape, so they cut him loose. Didn't have the stamina to be the goto player on a SEL team.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Hensick came back half way through the year from playing somewhere in Europe. If he sticks to North America next year someone will absolutely give him a two way NHL contract--someone might even give him a one way NHL contract.
I don't know. He'll be 29 early next season and has played 20 NHL games over the past six years. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be getting an NHL deal. Time will tell, I guess.

It's just pain.
Old
03-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
No that would be a waste of an SPC. The Rangers need a couple of character vets in the AHL next year. This team is still going to be very young. You don't have to sign guys to NHL deals to get players like that.

I know Redden had a lot of critics, but he was a solid pro and a good example in the minors with Hartford. The Rangers need a guy like that, and a goaltending to steal a lot of games. I would like to see a Labarbra and DGM combo in net. That alone should propel the team into the playoffs after two dismal years.

There should be some new blood coming in, and some of the youth moving up in Miller and Fast, with Lindberg not too far behind. The Rangers are really slow up the middle this year, so it wouldn't surprise me to see both Lindberg and Miller up with the big club, although I doubt both rookies will be playing C at the same time.

Fast will make it as he is effective without scoring and it s RH shot. He isn't physical, but very effective in tight spaces... reminds me of Tyler Arnason along the boards as a guy who doesn't outmuscle anyone but someone comes away with the puck, and Damien Brunner as a skater. Plays in all 3 zones, and will be a Dominic Moore type of checker.

MSC will get some prime AHL time. Hope fully there is a competitive team to watch in the AHL next year.

Old
03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
No that would be a waste of an SPC. The Rangers need a couple of character vets in the AHL next year. This team is still going to be very young. You don't have to sign guys to NHL deals to get players like that.

I know Redden had a lot of critics, but he was a solid pro and a good example in the minors with Hartford. The Rangers need a guy like that, and a goaltending to steal a lot of games. I would like to see a Labarbra and DGM combo in net. That alone should propel the team into the playoffs after two dismal years.

There should be some new blood coming in, and some of the youth moving up in Miller and Fast, with Lindberg not too far behind. The Rangers are really slow up the middle this year, so it wouldn't surprise me to see both Lindberg and Miller up with the big club, although I doubt both rookies will be playing C at the same time.

Fast will make it as he is effective without scoring and it s RH shot. He isn't physical, but very effective in tight spaces... reminds me of Tyler Arnason along the boards as a guy who doesn't outmuscle anyone but someone comes away with the puck, and Damien Brunner as a skater. Plays in all 3 zones, and will be a Dominic Moore type of checker.

MSC will get some prime AHL time. Hope fully there is a competitive team to watch in the AHL next year.

Keeping in mind that about 80% of these deals for AHL vets are one year deals and almost none go beyond two year deals and that the Rangers as currently constructed have only 25 guys signed at the present moment to either one way or two way NHL deals ( the majority of them at the NHL level) going into next season with between 5 to 7 RFA contracts worth pursuing--the higher 7 number dependent on their views of Justin Falk and Ryan Bourque.

And keeping in mind as well that every single one of the Rangers CHL prospects will have junior eligibility left going into next season and that of our college and European prospects none might be ready, willing or able to turn pro for us next year--just exactly who do you foresee playing for our AHL team next year? It looks to me that the Rangers could have as many as 18-20 holes they could fill with free agents of one kind or another.

Beacon has pointed out numerous times this year how detrimental to the WP's offense the loss of Kris Newbury was. Hard to argue against when the team goes through stretches of games being shut out or scoring one goal. Newbury struggles at the NHL level but at the AHL level he's a legit offensive catalyst. Having no veteran presence on defense is a recipe for disaster. It's not a good idea to develop young players in a losing environment. It doesn't build much confidence when a young player goes into game after game expecting to lose game after game.

I expect the Rangers would want to do these two things in respect to their minor league operation for next year. 1) That they will aggressively pursue and sign as many of the best CHL/College/European free agents to make up for the lack of amateur prospects entering the ranks as they can and 2) they will provide a more stable environment for next year's Ahl team by signing 5-6-7 quality AHL vets--of which one will be a goaltender and at least two defensemen. They should have plenty of room to accommodate that and most probably still come up somewhat short of the 50 contract limit even still.

Old
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Ranger_Engineer
There are no windows

Nickolas Latta has signed a PTO with Hartford.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43593

Old
03-18-2014, 12:44 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Engineer View Post
Nickolas Latta has signed a PTO with Hartford.

Nice, looks to be a leader as he wore the 'C' in Sarnia this past season. Point per game player with some PIM's as well. Anyone have any info?

Old
03-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Nice, looks to be a leader as he wore the 'C' in Sarnia this past season. Point per game player with some PIM's as well. Anyone have any info?

any chance he gets signed to NHL contract if he does well, not like JAM

Old
03-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Haven't watched but Sarnia is the worst team in the OHL. He's also an overager, heard he's feisty and fights a bit.

Old
03-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

it seems like he can be a fan favorite. i just hope Rangers sign him before someone else does. the lack of grit and skill in the organization as far as prospects go is not that great...

Old
03-18-2014, 01:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post

it seems like he can be a fan favorite. i just hope Rangers sign him before someone else does. the lack of grit and skill in the organization as far as prospects go is not that great...
I like the rough side of the game but I don't really care if he can fight. Can he skate and keep up and be an integral part of a team while also providing that? If not, who cares?

Old
03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Joey Bones

Here's his stats from this season and the past.

Edit: oops already posted.

Closed Thread