HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Anisimov is a terrific offensive talent, the only reason he doesn't score more in the NHL is because of his lack of speed.

The AHL is a much slower league than the NHL, it gives more time and space for players like Anisimov, Dawes, ect, who have great skills but not the necessary speed (of skating or decision making) to replicate that at the NHL level.
Most hockey people would disagree with this assessment. The difference is not so much speed but rather knowing where to go with skating. There is a veterans group of guys who can't skate and get permanently sentenced to the AHL (Jason Krog, Ken Gernander etc.) but overall it's not a slow league by any means.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Most hockey people would disagree with this assessment. The difference is not so much speed but rather knowing where to go with skating. There is a veterans group of guys who can't skate and get permanently sentenced to the AHL (Jason Krog, Ken Gernander etc.) but overall it's not a slow league by any means.
To put it like this.

There are more or less two ways to attack in hockey. Either out maneuver a defense, or out pace it.

The AHL is very much an "out-pace it" type of league. The Jason Krogs and Rico Fatas of the AHL, can dominate that league because they thrive in an evironment where they can back check, wait for their D's to pick up a puck, be smart and then just do a 180' and attack the other way against slower Ds and just get to the net faster than they do.

There is just not room to play that style in the NHL. Teams don't loose as many pucks in the wrong areas when they attack, and D's are better to back-check at the same speed as the forwards attack. Instead, the NHL is much more about being dilligent with the puck and to try to find plays that will outmaneuver the other team.

The above diffrent results in a few phenomens. A center that is smart but not the fastest can, for example, be more exposed to his lack of speed in the AHL because they game is moving N-S all the time. OTOH, D's in the NHL skates a lot better than D's in the AHL. Of course. Its much easier for someone like Anisimov to get to a level where he can take advantage of Ds in the AHL than in the NHL, of course. I mean, Anisimov is borderline "Malkin" in the NHL, while being pretty far from "Malkin" in the NHL if you get what I mean.

Re Lindberg vs Anisimov, before OL sat his foot in NA I think I said something along the line that Anisimov overall was a bit more talented than him at the same age, but that they also are kind of diffrent players since OL is a bit more of a clutch player on the ice/a bit smarter maybe. BUT, its also important to remember that AA scored 43 pts in 74 games in the AHL his first year, and 81 pts in 80 games his second year. Lindberg also scored 43 pts in the AHL, in 73 games, his first year. Yes, Lindberg was older than AA his first year than AA was his second year, but OTOH, the first year in the AHL is always the first year for a European. And Lindberg is much more of a later bloomer than AA. AA still got a bit of a 2nd round tag on him, but that is ridiculous. AA was a pure top 15-20 type of talent that we got in the 2nd round because he is Russian. Rocker had connections in Russia that promised him AA would sign in NA after a year, and we could gamble on him.

Next year will be big for OL. And we definitely got grounds to hope for him to have a big year.

Old
04-16-2014, 07:05 AM
odhaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
The FA goalies are not going to sign w/NYR; The reason Hank and Cam. It takes 2 parties to negotiate and these goalies and their agents are not stupid, they see and analyze the NYR goalie situation and realize for next 5 yrs at least (excluding injury)NYR net is full. Why would a legit FA NCAA goalie want anything to do with NY, there is no room at the inn? If NYR want to add to their goalie roster they must draft one.
It's actually the opposite - NCAA free agent goalies would be very attracted to Rangers because of lack of organizational depth, probably the thinnest in the league. These goalies are hardly in a position to worry about displacing Lundquist and Talbot, they just want to play professionally, preferably at the AHL level.

Old
04-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Joey Bones
SO FRAT DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
And that's a good point. Most likely none of the college free agent goalies signed are likely to be NHL goalies next year unless the team's they sign with get hit by injuries in that area. The better ones will be in the AHL.

What I'd like to see the Rangers do for next year for Hartford is to sign a good AHL quality vet goalie like LeNeveu or Grumet-Morris and sign a top end college free agent goalie such as Rumpel or Motte and do their level best to at least split the games between the two.
Would Summerhays be a good candidate?

Old
04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/s...040514aab.html

signed w/Ft Wayne Komets

Old
04-16-2014, 04:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Summerhays might be a good one. The two I like the most are CJ Motte and Joel Rumpel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
I think he signed an ATO. The other thing is Fort Wayne is probably closest to the Notre Dame campus and if he's finishing up his classes that ATO he signed might be more for convenience.

Old
04-18-2014, 10:05 PM
bmoak

Greenville started their playoffs as the #7 Eastern Conference seed against #2 Kalamazoo. Greenville one game one 2-1, with Mission logging 35 saves.

Old
04-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Mikos87

I'd say the speed of the game in the AHL is significantly slower than the NHL. Guys have much more time and space to make plays, and the skating of the majority of its players is simply not on an NHL level.

The best skaters in that league are usually top tier prospects. I watch a lot of minor league hockey live, and can tell you the players don't even think at an NHL pace, let alone skate at one.

To give an example, once Fast and Lindberg realized their skating is better than most AHLers, their game really picked up. It's not a fast league, its a low scoring league because a lot of teams clamp down. A lot. It's a very tough league to score in with rush offense being generated off of mistakes and turnovers. You don't see too many zone entry teams, you see a lot of dump and chase, and a lot of zone coverage because most guys aren't adept skaters with puck skill.

Old
04-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Joey Bones
SO FRAT DUDE

Quote:
Summerhays might be a good one. The two I like the most are CJ Motte and Joel Rumpel.

I think he signed an ATO. The other thing is Fort Wayne is probably closest to the Notre Dame campus and if he's finishing up his classes that ATO he signed might be more for convenience.
Yeah the contract is a ATO because of classes, but I would think he'd be solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Greenville started their playoffs as the #7 Eastern Conference seed against #2 Kalamazoo. Greenville one game one 2-1, with Mission logging 35 saves.
Thanks for the info. How has St. Croix looked?

Old
04-19-2014, 03:50 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Missiaen is best suited for the ECHL...

Old
04-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
To put it like this.

There are more or less two ways to attack in hockey. Either out maneuver a defense, or out pace it.

The AHL is very much an "out-pace it" type of league. The Jason Krogs and Rico Fatas of the AHL, can dominate that league because they thrive in an evironment where they can back check, wait for their D's to pick up a puck, be smart and then just do a 180' and attack the other way against slower Ds and just get to the net faster than they do.

There is just not room to play that style in the NHL. Teams don't loose as many pucks in the wrong areas when they attack, and D's are better to back-check at the same speed as the forwards attack. Instead, the NHL is much more about being dilligent with the puck and to try to find plays that will outmaneuver the other team.

The above diffrent results in a few phenomens. A center that is smart but not the fastest can, for example, be more exposed to his lack of speed in the AHL because they game is moving N-S all the time. OTOH, D's in the NHL skates a lot better than D's in the AHL. Of course. Its much easier for someone like Anisimov to get to a level where he can take advantage of Ds in the AHL than in the NHL, of course. I mean, Anisimov is borderline "Malkin" in the NHL, while being pretty far from "Malkin" in the NHL if you get what I mean.

Re Lindberg vs Anisimov, before OL sat his foot in NA I think I said something along the line that Anisimov overall was a bit more talented than him at the same age, but that they also are kind of diffrent players since OL is a bit more of a clutch player on the ice/a bit smarter maybe. BUT, its also important to remember that AA scored 43 pts in 74 games in the AHL his first year, and 81 pts in 80 games his second year. Lindberg also scored 43 pts in the AHL, in 73 games, his first year. Yes, Lindberg was older than AA his first year than AA was his second year, but OTOH, the first year in the AHL is always the first year for a European. And Lindberg is much more of a later bloomer than AA. AA still got a bit of a 2nd round tag on him, but that is ridiculous. AA was a pure top 15-20 type of talent that we got in the 2nd round because he is Russian. Rocker had connections in Russia that promised him AA would sign in NA after a year, and we could gamble on him.

Next year will be big for OL. And we definitely got grounds to hope for him to have a big year.
I would be very happy indeed if OL turns like an Anisimov.

Old
04-19-2014, 11:40 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by odhaguy View Post
It's actually the opposite - NCAA free agent goalies would be very attracted to Rangers because of lack of organizational depth, probably the thinnest in the league. These goalies are hardly in a position to worry about displacing Lundquist and Talbot, they just want to play professionally, preferably at the AHL level.
I think the FA NCAA goalie would be attracted to the Rangers. Cam has only one year left on his contract and is a UFA. Cam will probably move on to an organization that will give him a chance to start.

Old
04-19-2014, 01:19 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Yeah the contract is a ATO because of classes, but I would think he'd be solid.

Thanks for the info. How has St. Croix looked?
Don't actually see he games. Just giving a heads up.

Old
04-19-2014, 06:04 PM
eco's bones

Wolfpack finish up tonight. A really ****** first half but were pretty much unbeatable the last couple months of the season.

Old
04-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Vitto79

So Lindberg, Kristo, mcilrath, allen coming to hang out for the playoffs? Anyone else? I guess levenea I as 3rd goalie

Last edited by Vitto79: 04-20-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old
04-20-2014, 09:58 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So Lindberg, Kristo, mcilrath coming to hang out for the playoffs? Anyone else? I guess levenea I as 3rd goalie
LeNeveu for sure. Got to think Allen, McIlrath and maybe even Johnson (he has quite a bit of NHL experience) and Syvret.

Forwards--Lindberg, Kristo, Bourque, Haley, Powe and maybe Hrivik.

Old
04-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Joey Bones
SO FRAT DUDE

Quote:
LeNeveu for sure. Got to think Allen, McIlrath and maybe even Johnson (he has quite a bit of NHL experience) and Syvret.

Forwards--Lindberg, Kristo, Bourque, Haley, Powe and maybe Hrivik.
You don't think they'll bring Asham along with that crew?

Old
04-21-2014, 01:45 PM
TheTakedown764

Quote:
You don't think they'll bring Asham along with that crew?
Asham is washed up... there's a reason we have only pulled him up once or twice in this year

Old
04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Paul Doyle of the Hartford Courant

Quote:
And while the franchise missed the playoffs for the second year in a row and third time since moving to Hartford in 1997, it wasn't a lost season. Bourque re-emerged as a prospect after failed to deliver much offense over his first two AHL seasons. Bourque, a third-round pick in 2009, had 14 goals in 122 regular season games, but he scored 21 in 74 games this season and he opened eyes.

Defenseman Dylan McIlrath also took steps toward the NHL as he played in 62 games and steadily improved. McIlrath, a former first-round pick, figures to compete for an NHL job next season.

Forward Danny Kristo, who came from the Montreal organization in a trade for Christian Thomas, had a team-high 25 goals. And Oscar Lindberg (18 goals) show lots of offensive skill.

Hartford fans also saw J.T. Miller and Jesper Fast, who are both in New York.

Next up, a select group of players will join the Rangers as "Black Aces" practice squad. And the organizion will start assembling the 2014-15 team as it considers re-signing players with expiring contracts
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,3232159.story

The team needs a new coach. New voice. New leadership. New ideas.

Old
04-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I havent watched Mcllrath at all this year besides little videos and clips here and there...ive read alot though. Can someone offer an opinion on him after his first full year in the AHL, and maybe feelings on him going into camp. I feel the consensus is that is game is headed in the right direction, just alot of uncertainty if he will be good enough to be a solid NHL dman.

Old
04-21-2014, 07:38 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy View Post
paul doyle of the hartford courant

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,3232159.story

the team needs a new coach. New voice. New leadership. New ideas.
Amen.

Old
04-22-2014, 06:36 AM
eco's bones

McIlrath was set back quite a bit by that kneecap injury. He was able to play about half of 12-13 but some effects of that injury lingered into this year. It set back his development. **** happens. Not sure he's going to make the Rangers next year out of training camp but he should come into camp 100 percent healthy for the first time ever as a pro.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:43 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
McIlrath was set back quite a bit by that kneecap injury. He was able to play about half of 12-13 but some effects of that injury lingered into this year. It set back his development. **** happens. Not sure he's going to make the Rangers next year out of training camp but he should come into camp 100 percent healthy for the first time ever as a pro.
Spot on with the bolded. The best thing for McIlrath would be if they let him have another entire year in the AHL to round out his game. However, I suspect that he'll probably bounce between the NHL and AHL next season, depending on the health of our blueline. This kid brings the nastiness that we've needed for a long time, and makes us an infinitely harder team to play against. Our patience will be rewarded if we don't make the mistake of rushing him.

Old
04-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Did Miller play mostly at wing this year or at C. 42 points in 41 games is impressive regardless, a nice jump in his game from last year.

Old
04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
The best thing for McIlrath would be if they let him have another entire year in the AHL to round out his game.
The best thing for MCI would be to be in the league that he deserves to be in based on his quality. Just because some people want to rush prospects, doesn't mean that others should root for them to stay in the minors extra long. If he'll look ready for NHL duty, he should get a call up to see if he can perform in the NHL. Staying in the AHL when you are ready for the NHL does not improve your game more than playing against higher competition against whom you presumably will play your whole career.

That said, I doubt he's ready until after the New Year.

Last edited by Beacon: 04-22-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Closed Thread