HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
TheRightWay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's unclear whether or not he'd be willing to play in the AHL--it might be either the NHL or off to Finland to play in the Liiga.
That seems to be the case according to this.

http://nyrangersblog.com/2014-articl...ngs-13-24.html

Quote:
Zamorsky signed with the Blues of the Finnish Elite League, and he has implied that he’ll be loaned to them if he does not make the Rangers’ NHL roster

Old
07-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Skapski is probably going to get more starts in Hartford than Missiaen. He may go down to the ECHL to get some starts while Missiaen is on the bench in Hartford, but only because it is more important for his development.

Zamo will go back to Finland. Noreau will step in when someone is injured or called up.

I hope Donnay can at least prove he can play in the ECHL. It is still a far superior league to the juniors. However, he may not be able to keep up with the speed of the pros.

Old
07-21-2014, 08:18 AM
cwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Skapski is probably going to get more starts in Hartford than Missiaen. He may go down to the ECHL to get some starts while Missiaen is on the bench in Hartford, but only because it is more important for his development.
Zamo will go back to Finland. Noreau will step in when someone is injured or called up.
I hope Donnay can at least prove he can play in the ECHL. It is still a far superior league to the juniors. However, he may not be able to keep up with the speed of the pros.
Interesting that Beacon, who's got good instincts about such things, suspects both Skapski and Donnay might play pro rather than Junior this season.

I'm not sure about either. NYR have often leveraged the overage year

Skapski might indeed be ready, his last 2 years were in Jr were solid and nearly identical.
It won't surprise if Schoeny signs a young goalie to AHL deal, to split backup behind Desjardins with Missiaen.
(such as ex-BU G Kieran Millan - the Avs, deep in pro goalie prospects, didn't QO him)
But Skapaski is near-ready and fills an important need.

The young pro D-pipeline, on the other hand, is well-stocked this year - McIlrath, Allen, Hughes, Bodie, Noreau, maybe Zamorsky.
And, like last year with Dodero/Marcou, NYR have typically added low-risk depth with marginal upside young D on AHL deals.
Donnay has not met the Gordie Clark standard of excelling at level before being promoted. He'll have a much greater role in Erie this year, playing for a potential contender, playing nightly with the best Canadian-born amateur player in the world. Logging those minutes, and experiencing the expectations and spotlight that will come along with that, will all better prepare him for his pro career.
So for Donnay, I expect, and hope, he goes back to Erie.

These discussions fire the anticipation for Traverse City and training camp.

Old
07-21-2014, 10:19 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
Interesting that Beacon, who's got good instincts about such things, suspects both Skapski and Donnay might play pro rather than Junior this season.

I'm not sure about either. NYR have often leveraged the overage year

Skapski might indeed be ready, his last 2 years were in Jr were solid and nearly identical.
It won't surprise if Schoeny signs a young goalie to AHL deal, to split backup behind Desjardins with Missiaen.
(such as ex-BU G Kieran Millan - the Avs, deep in pro goalie prospects, didn't QO him)
But Skapaski is near-ready and fills an important need.

The young pro D-pipeline, on the other hand, is well-stocked this year - McIlrath, Allen, Hughes, Bodie, Noreau, maybe Zamorsky.
And, like last year with Dodero/Marcou, NYR have typically added low-risk depth with marginal upside young D on AHL deals.
Donnay has not met the Gordie Clark standard of excelling at level before being promoted. He'll have a much greater role in Erie this year, playing for a potential contender, playing nightly with the best Canadian-born amateur player in the world. Logging those minutes, and experiencing the expectations and spotlight that will come along with that, will all better prepare him for his pro career.
So for Donnay, I expect, and hope, he goes back to Erie.

These discussions fire the anticipation for Traverse City and training camp.
Agreed. If I had to put money on it, I bet that Skapper turns pro and Donnay goes back to junior.

Old
07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
NYR Viper

Donnay, IMO needs to go back to junior. He is going to take a while. Let him grow his confidence.

The Rangers need to make some decisions on some d-men soon. Allen, McIlrath, Hughes, Noreau, Donnay, Zamorsky, Skjei, Andersson, Graves, Bodie, Walcott.

They are lucky this year to be able to send Zamrosky and Andersson away to Europe. Skjei to NCAA. Graves, Donnay and Walcott back to Juniors. Next year, all signs point to all of them being pro's.

That's 11 defenders. Defensive depth is a good thing, however needing to stuff some good players into the ECHL can also be a bad thing. They need a couple of these guys to take the next step and become NHLers this year. McIlrath. Allen. Bodie. Those 3 have the best shots. It allows the Rangers to save $$ on the cap and move a NHL d-man for another piece.

Old
07-21-2014, 01:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed. If I had to put money on it, I bet that Skapper turns pro and Donnay goes back to junior.
My thinking as well.

It's just pain.
Old
07-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Donnay, IMO needs to go back to junior. He is going to take a while. Let him grow his confidence.

The Rangers need to make some decisions on some d-men soon. Allen, McIlrath, Hughes, Noreau, Donnay, Zamorsky, Skjei, Andersson, Graves, Bodie, Walcott.

They are lucky this year to be able to send Zamrosky and Andersson away to Europe. Skjei to NCAA. Graves, Donnay and Walcott back to Juniors. Next year, all signs point to all of them being pro's.

That's 11 defenders. Defensive depth is a good thing, however needing to stuff some good players into the ECHL can also be a bad thing. They need a couple of these guys to take the next step and become NHLers this year. McIlrath. Allen. Bodie. Those 3 have the best shots. It allows the Rangers to save $$ on the cap and move a NHL d-man for another piece.

The adage is that you can never have enough defensemen. They bust more than forwards, there are half of them so each injury matters more, they take longer to develop.

11 defensemen is nice, but Walcott and likely Donnay aren't even ready for the ECHL, much less the NHL. Noreau is in the ECHL for now. Andersson would likely be there too if he played in North America.

Zamo, Hughes and Bodie are at an AHL level now (Zamo is likely to go to Finland, but his level of play is that of an AHLer, not NHLer). None are going to be ready next year.

Graves is going back to juniors and likely won't be ready for a minimum of 2-3 years.

Among all these players, if one ultimately becomes a quality top-6 blueliner, I am satisfied, if it is two, I am very happy and if it's 3, I am beyond ecstatic. TBH, can't see 3 of these making it, it will likely be one or two, maybe even none. Either way, likely none make it this year, maybe one next season.

Then we have Skjei, McIlrath and Allen. All are likely to make it, but not more than one this year.

If all three are ready a year from now (unlikely since Skjei could probably benefit from some time in the AHL), we move out someone like Klein and John Moore. But that is a decision for next year.

Realistically, I see 3-4 blueliners making it at some point in the next 3-4 years, which would be great, but one defenseman a year isn't as much as it sounds when you talk about 11 dman prospects.

Old
07-21-2014, 03:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Zamo, Hughes and Bodie are at an AHL level now (Zamo is likely to go to Finland, but his level of play is that of an AHLer, not NHLer). None are going to be ready next year.
I think we ought to wait until training camp before proclaiming who is ready for what level. Particularly when we're talking about two guys--Zamorsky and Bodie--that have yet to play in the AHL. It's easy to just assume guys can play in the AHL because they've played in leagues that are comparable or even superior, but it's not always the case.

Old
07-21-2014, 06:28 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Better league and higher level of competition, but Donnay is gangly skinny, and the grind that is a minor pro game could lead to him getting dinged up.

He might be another Colton Teubert or Alex Plante where once "big" (ie tall & lanky) defenseman that never put on any muscle mass and couldn't cut it on the 3rd pair in the AHL.

Hockey's a man's game after all.

Old
07-21-2014, 08:00 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Better league and higher level of competition, but Donnay is gangly skinny, and the grind that is a minor pro game could lead to him getting dinged up.

He might be another Colton Teubert or Alex Plante where once "big" (ie tall & lanky) defenseman that never put on any muscle mass and couldn't cut it on the 3rd pair in the AHL.

Hockey's a man's game after all.
All the more reason for him to go back to juniors.

Old
07-25-2014, 02:55 PM
cwede

Vaive resigned with Greenville"
http://www.greenvilleroadwarriors.co...e-returns.html
after his strong role play in Hartford and even better playoff for GRW, i thought Schoeney might sign him for Hartford. I expect he gets an invite to HWP training camp.

its about that time of summer that HWP announce some AHL signings.
Cantlon reported at Howlings.net that O'Donnell will return but no announcement yet.
Last year a Howlings article called the Rowe signing a couple weeks in advance

Its impossible to handicap who HWP might sign, but candidates might include
young guys like HWP spring ATO's Jr F Nick Latta and NCAA D Justin Baker,
or dev camp D ex-CBH pick Travis Brown.
Or some mid-20's, depth guys, NHL system cast-offs such as ex-Sen C Jim O'Brien, who actually played ok vs NYR in the playoffs a couple years back, or ex-Av pick and BU Goalie Kieran Millan.
Ottawa also cut loose big ex- No Dak D man Ben Blood.

Last year HWP played a large number of guys on AHL contracts, or PTO's, or ECHL call-up loans - Hensick(HWP), O'Donnell(PTO), Grumet Morris(HWP), B.Nash(HWP), Vaive(ECHL), Stammler(ECHL), Rowe(HWP), Malcolm(HWP), Marcou(HWP), Leneveau(before injury NHL callup became NHL pact)) also ECHL guys on HWP/AHL contracts Carroll, Dodero,and mideaseson cuts Dupont(PTO), Aliu(HWP),

Old
07-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

One more defenseman is needed for Hartford. Noreau is likely to be a #7D in Hartford and #1D in Greenville. But more than one Hartford blueliner will get injured or called up, so we need a couple of ECHL scrubs who can fill in at the AHL level.

Old
07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post

If Donnay and/or Walcott can play in the ECHL, they should go there. Not only is it a superior league to the juniors, but they would get a few call ups to the AHL later in the year to get a cup of coffee there.

They should only go back to juniors if they aren't strong enough for the pros at any level.

Old
07-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Vaive is a good signing, but we need a few more like him. AHL loses more players than the NHL because NHL injuries result in AHL call ups on top of the AHL injuries.

Old
08-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Ben Hankinson ‏@benhankinson 42s
Congrats Ryan Potulny signing w Hartford @WolfPackAHL. Provides depth for @NYRangers. Ryan has 150G in 408 #AHL gms (.37) & has 126 #NHL gms

Old
08-06-2014, 02:16 PM
NYR Viper

Another solid signing for the 'Pack. Gives them another veteran scorer who can help carry the load with Bourque and Mueller and hopefully some of the young guys like Bourque, Hrivik, Lindberg, Miller, Fast and Kristo taking steps this year. It should be a fun team to watch.

Old
08-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Ola

Bourque-Mueller-Fast/Stemp
Bourque-Lindberg-Kristo
Hrivik-Potulny-Haggerty
Tarnasky-Yogan
Nicholls
Yogan

Hunwick-Kamper
Allen-McIlrath
Noreau/Hughes-Bodie
Donnay

Djesradins

No more excuses Kenny G!!!

So who am I missing?

Last edited by Ola: 08-11-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old
08-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Bourque-Mueller-Fast
Bourque-Lindberg-Kristo
Hrivik-Potulny-Haggerty
Tarnasky-Yogan
Nicholls
Yogan

Hunwick-Kamper
Allen-McIlrath
Noreau/Hughes-Bodie
Donnay

No more excuses Kenny G!!!

So who am I missing?
The goaltenders

Old
08-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
The goaltenders
With that line-up Kenny be G shouldn't need any...

Calder Cup or his head.

Old
08-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Ola

Seriously though, that is the best team I've seen in HFD since like Shooter's days.

Old
08-11-2014, 06:02 AM
ndd17
Hate the rags!!!

Quote:

So who am I missing?
CBJ fan here.
Zamorsky
McCarthy-St.Croix-Kantor.
If believe eliteprospects.

Old
08-11-2014, 06:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndd17 View Post
CBJ fan here.
Zamorsky
McCarthy-St.Croix-Kantor.
If believe eliteprospects.
Thanks!

Zamo is believed to be returning to Finland, St.C and Kantor didn't make my cut. But I obviously missed McCarthy. Does he even fit in? Who is better, McCarthy or Haggerty?

Old
08-11-2014, 06:20 AM
ndd17
Hate the rags!!!

Quote:
Thanks!

Zamo is believed to be returning to Finland
Zamorsky never played to Finland,
he is Czech.

Old
08-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Mac n Gs
rip kreider kisses

Don't the Pack need a new captain now? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Aaron Johnson the captain this past season?

Who do you think will be the new captain?

Old
08-11-2014, 07:36 AM
eco's bones

Zamorsky has a deal in place to play in Finland if he doesn't make the Rangers. Calle Andersson has a deal in place to play for Zug in Switzerland if he doesn't make the Rangers--which he won't.

McCarthy was a very much sought after college free agent. Stempniak is almost a sure bet to make the Rangers. Miller or Lombardi might not.

Closed Thread