HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2014, 08:46 AM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Honestly I wouldn't care if we used a 1st rounder on a D-man again. Especially if its a BPA and/or an offensive D-man.
I am a firm believer in BPA, but if the difference is a few picks in projections or ISS rankings, then they really need to draft centers.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:15 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
I am a firm believer in BPA, but if the difference is a few picks in projections or ISS rankings, then they really need to draft centers.
I've always liked the standard NBA approach. Group players into tiers. When your pick comes up, first and foremost make sure you're drafting from the highest tier with players still on the board. Then you have room to select based on position, size, speed specific strengths, etc.

So, let's say you're picking 20th and your needs are C, RD, LW, LD, G, RW - in that order. You've got 6 players grouped in the 1st tier, 11 players in the second tier, 9 players in the 3rd tier, etc.

Your turn comes up. First you check to see if any of those top 6 are left. If, for whatever reason, a RW from that group has dropped to you, you take him, regardless of the fact that he plays at your deepest position. Then, if the guys from the first group are all gone, but there's a LD, G and RW still left from the second group, you can pick any one of those three, but you do not reach back into the third group to take a C. And so on, and so on.

(Or, of course, you trade up/back.)

Old
02-25-2014, 09:22 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Which brings us to next year--a strong possibility that not a single one of our drafted prospects will turn pro. The Rangers hopefully will sign a few CHL and College free agents to fill the gap. I don't expect that they'll all turn into NHL players but even if one becomes a solid NHL third liner it's a good thing. The openings should be there and the Rangers have some history of success with free agents making their team--it's a selling point when you try to sign someone.
I wonder if this is true - I hope so.

Kinda like the major college coach who can say "well son, you can go to your local school if you want to, but don't forget - every year I am in the top ten in terms of how many players I send to the pros."

The Rangers can point to Girardi, Talbot and (soon) Allen and make the same kind of pitch.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:39 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I wonder if this is true - I hope so.

Kinda like the major college coach who can say "well son, you can go to your local school if you want to, but don't forget - every year I am in the top ten in terms of how many players I send to the pros."

The Rangers can point to Girardi, Talbot and (soon) Allen and make the same kind of pitch.
Zuccarello too if you want to be technical. Came out of Europe--never drafted--did some time in the AHL. The reason a guy like Kinkaid signs with the Devils is he knows he's never going to supplant Henrik but there are these two old guys in New Jersey--(Brodeur, Hedberg). If you're one of the best free agents and have several teams looking at you--of course you should be looking at how you can slot in. A lot of guys look for weaker organizations IMO just because they think they can make the jump right away--Justin Schultz pretty much knew he'd be top 4 in Edmonton--some other teams he might have been in the AHL for a little while.

Old
02-25-2014, 10:54 AM
Ola

Quote:
I've always liked the standard NBA approach. Group players into tiers. When your pick comes up, first and foremost make sure you're drafting from the highest tier with players still on the board. Then you have room to select based on position, size, speed specific strengths, etc.

So, let's say you're picking 20th and your needs are C, RD, LW, LD, G, RW - in that order. You've got 6 players grouped in the 1st tier, 11 players in the second tier, 9 players in the 3rd tier, etc.

Your turn comes up. First you check to see if any of those top 6 are left. If, for whatever reason, a RW from that group has dropped to you, you take him, regardless of the fact that he plays at your deepest position. Then, if the guys from the first group are all gone, but there's a LD, G and RW still left from the second group, you can pick any one of those three, but you do not reach back into the third group to take a C. And so on, and so on.

(Or, of course, you trade up/back.)
As I understand, NBA players are much closer to being ready than the avg NHL kid though.

In general, if we look at a NHL draft in hindsight, the advice seem to be "take the only player available" more than to take the best player available lol. Looking at like sections of the draft, its often pretty obvious who you should have taken. Its rare that you feel like that you could have picked between several players.

I just looked at the 2000 draft as an example:
10-15
Mikhail Yakubov
Pavel Vorobiev
Alexei Smirnov
Ron Hainsey
Vaclav Nedorost

In hindsight, who do you pick? Hainsey, no room for BPA within this segment.

16-20
Artem Kryukov
Marcel Hossa
Alexei Mikhnov
Brooks Orpik
Krys Kolanos

In hindsight, who do you pick? Hossa or Orpik, there are some room for BPA, but you better know what you are doing because there is a ton of busts around these picks.

21-25
Alexander Frolov
Anton Volchenkov
David Hale
Nathan Smith
Brad Boyes

In hindsight, who do you pick? Some room for BPA.

25-30
Steve Ott
Brian Sutherby
Martin Samuelsson
Justin Williams
Niklas Kronwall
Jeff Taffe

In hindsight, who do you pick? Kronwall, no room for BPA.

In the end, it just feels like the marginal is so darn strong for error that you gotta go with BPA.

Old
02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
As I understand, NBA players are much closer to being ready than the avg NHL kid though.

In general, if we look at a NHL draft in hindsight, the advice seem to be "take the only player available" more than to take the best player available lol. Looking at like sections of the draft, its often pretty obvious who you should have taken. Its rare that you feel like that you could have picked between several players.

10-15
Mikhail Yakubov
Pavel Vorobiev
Alexei Smirnov
Ron Hainsey
Vaclav Nedorost

[snip]

25-30
Steve Ott
Brian Sutherby
Martin Samuelsson
Justin Williams
Niklas Kronwall
Jeff Taffe

In the end, it just feels like the marginal is so darn strong for error that you gotta go with BPA.
Do you think that the team that drafted Alexei Smirnov actually thought they were taking a worse player than Niklas Kronwall, but they went with him anyway, because he was a better "fit"? C'mon.

There's rarely a clear delineation between every single player, especially after you get outside the top 10 or so. Scouts and team execs always talk about "drop-offs" in the draft. There's a drop-off after #8, then another after #22, etc. Sure, you can put a clear value difference on #1 vs. #2 vs. #3, but the difference between #43 and #44 is pretty hard to argue. My point is that you always take the BPA - but especially as you move down the draft, you never skip a guy to take another guy who's on the other side of a "drop-off". If, on the other hand, you're dead in the middle of a group of players ranked about the same, you've got some room to choose.

Old
02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

10-15
Mikhail Yakubov
Pavel Vorobiev
Alexei Smirnov
Ron Hainsey
Vaclav Nedorost

In hindsight, who do you pick? Hainsey, no room for BPA within this segment.

16-20
Artem Kryukov
Marcel Hossa
Alexei Mikhnov
Brooks Orpik
Krys Kolanos

In hindsight, who do you pick? Hossa or Orpik, there are some room for BPA, but you better know what you are doing because there is a ton of busts around these picks.

21-25
Alexander Frolov
Anton Volchenkov
David Hale
Nathan Smith
Brad Boyes

In hindsight, who do you pick? Some room for BPA.

25-30
Steve Ott
Brian Sutherby
Martin Samuelsson
Justin Williams
Niklas Kronwall
Jeff Taffe

I take Mikhail Yakubov because that's basically Nail Yakupov.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:06 PM
Ail
k.

The Pack are playing the Portland Pirates tonight. They are short a forward after the JT Miller call-up.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:10 PM
Ail
k.

St. Croix is playing with Lindberg and Haley.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Ail
k.

McIlrath with a strong start, made a sliding play to break up a 2 on 1.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Ail
k.

Lessio gets a breakaway via Rundblad and scores on LeNeveu. 1 - 0

Old
02-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Ail
k.

Fast looking good as usual, strong on the puck.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Ail
k.

lol Brandon Yip burned Aaron Johnson, thankfully LeNeveu got a piece of it.

Edit: for the record he was also beat on the first goal.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Ail
k.

Hartford just getting outplayed right now. Miele goes top shelf and scores on LeNeveu. 2 -0.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Ail
k.

Klesla scores. It's now 3 - 0, and if not for LeNeveu it could be 5 - 0.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:34 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Hahahaha. It's UGLY. Portland has like 5 guys who've had NHL experience plus a ton of top prospects. How are they 2nd from the bottom of the league?

Old
02-25-2014, 07:36 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

O'Donnell and Jones with a MASSIVE brawl. Multiple haymakers landed by both. They go down together and then Jones with a ***** move wailing on O'Donnell while he's on the ice.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Hahahaha. It's UGLY. Portland has like 5 guys who've had NHL experience plus a ton of top prospects. How are they 2nd from the bottom of the league?
You'd never know watching this game.

I turned it off.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:41 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Good Lord, here are the Pack's lines tonight, according to the notes given out to the Portland announcer:

Vaive-Hensick-Fast
Powe-Hrivik-O'Donnell
Haley-Lindberg-St. Croix
Beach-Yogan

They're going to get killed. (Or rather, they're already getting killed and it's only going to get worse.)

WTF is Gernander doing playing St. Croix at wing at Hrivik at center? Moron.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
You'd never know watching this game.

I turned it off.
Yeaaaah, I think I'm going to do the same.

Old
02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Good Lord, here are the Pack's lines tonight, according to the notes given out to the Portland announcer:

Vaive-Hensick-Fast
Powe-Hrivik-O'Donnell
Haley-Lindberg-St. Croix
Beach-Yogan

They're going to get killed. (Or rather, they're already getting killed and it's only going to get worse.)

WTF is Gernander doing playing St. Croix at wing at Hrivik at center? Moron.
Looks worse next year with a graduation or 2 and not much in the pipeline to step into the team.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Looks worse next year with a graduation or 2 and not much in the pipeline to step into the team.
Yeah the forward depth is abysmal.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:18 PM
srsly989

Back within 1?

Old
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Allen and Yogan score. Yogan again showing all that unlimited potential. He needs more ice time and should be in front of the net on the PP.

Fast has done everything but score. All over the place and strong on the puck. He's a great passer.

Allen is solid.

St. Croix with nice vision on the PP getting a helper. He's not a great skater or good along the boards. If he can improve both of those, he's got a chance because the skill is there.

Old
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Pack come back and win 4-3. 4 unanswered goals.

Powe got the third one, they kept cycling and he got open and sniped it.

Fast went to the net and deflected a nice pass from Vaive on a rush. That's the game winner.

Allen, Fast, Grumet-Morris, Yogan, and McLIrath all played well.

Closed Thread