HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Detroit Signs Chris Osgood

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 07:00 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
he never fit in, with st. loo.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:56 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfanar
As I understand it, no more waiver draft.

I thought there was one last one this year.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:57 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
i think it will be like the Minnesota Goalie Situation, whoever has the hot hand is the starter.
Probably.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:58 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Legace I would hope, if not this is dumb, Osgood is a borderline starter.
All things being equal, I think Osgood is better. The problem is that neither one is very consistent.

Old
08-08-2005, 08:02 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

I see no problems with this signing. A Legace/Osgood tandem is pretty solid.

Does it mean that MacDonald is on the way out? Cause wouldn't he have to clear waivers to get sent down?

Old
08-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
MacDonald isn't even a bonfied prospect.

Old
08-08-2005, 08:40 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada
Judging by the way Osgood was battling with Reinhard Divis for playing time in 2003-04 with St. Louis, I'd say expectations shouldn't be too high.
Ummmm....

Osgood played 67 games in St. Louis last year. Reinhard Divis played 13. I wouldn't call that a battle.....more like a massacre.

The Blues OTHER back-up, (Brent Johnson), played a grand total of 10 games, even though Pleau stated that he and Osgood would "compete" for the Starting position.

Osgood also played 34 of the final 41 games of the Season in St. Louis.

Yeah....

Divis and Johnson put up one Hell of a fight for that #1 spot. Luckily Osgood was JUST able to squeak by as the Starter.

By the way.....what planet were you watching from?

(And do you get NHL Center Ice there?)

Old
08-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Hockeycrazy3033

Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazy3033 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazy3033
This is a GREAT move for the Wings. Osgood at this price, and the way he's played the last 2 seasons. He's only gotten better since not being with the Wings. YAY OZZIE!!!!!!!! WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FAVE PLAYER IS BACK!

Old
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille!
MacDonald isn't even a bonfied prospect.
No not by HF standards, but at 26 or 27 he isn't exactly an old fart either.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Birko19

Not a bad move by the Wings, 900,000 k is well worth it since there are no great goalies out there anyways.

I really think the Wings should do what Minny did with Roloson/Fernandez, it could work out great because both of Legace and Osgood are decent goalies but both are quite streaky, if Legace was't so streaky I think he would've been a very solid starter in this league.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
No not by HF standards, but at 26 or 27 he isn't exactly an old fart either.
But he is definately not NHL caliber.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:55 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Weren't Bob Essensa and Tim Cheveldae available?

Old
08-08-2005, 09:57 PM
romo

I hate the Wings, my two fav teams are the Leafs and Preds so the Wings have always been a rival of my teams. But this is a great signing. Osgood is a very underated goalie. For $900K to get a potential starting goalie is a great deal. The Wings are in a tight spot for salaries and to get two goalies of, even borderline starting calibre, for just over $2M total is a great plan.

If, a big IF, the NHL does open up to more scoring ala 1980's, having a superstar goalie will not be as necessary to win the Cup. Andy Moog and Grant Fuhr were not top 5 goalies in their time on the Oilers but they were good fits for their team.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
my goal is not to instigate.

rather, my point is that Detroit usually spends plenty in goal and I am suprised that they went cheap on Osgood.
"Usually" was before the new CBA. Welcome to the new NHL. Detroit doesnt have the flexibility this year to go after big names. Next offseason they will have plenty of cap room to work with. But this year they had to go cheap in net. I think Osgood/Legace for a combined 2 million/year is a pretty good bargain. Both guys are above average netminders.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:20 PM
handtrick

Look on the bright side...it could have been Dunham.....

All in all....agree that it is a good signing for the money and term....

Old
08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
PecaFan

Excellent signing by the Wings. A pretty damn good goalie for a bargain basement price.

It's not just about how good a player is, it's how good he is in relation to his salary. It's about *value*.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Coffey77

Ok Signing. Wings had next to no money left available so getting Osgood for just under a million is alright. Osgood did manage 30 wins in the last NHL season.

love that post Oldtimehockey.

I expect an Osgood/Legace tandem. Not bad for $2 million. Are there waivers anymore? I though that is gone with the new CBA? Even if it isn't, losing McDonald isn't a huge loss. Hopefully, Jim Howard is signed for Grand Rapids anyway.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
I expect an Osgood/Legace tandem. Not bad for $2 million. Are there waivers anymore? I though that is gone with the new CBA? Even if it isn't, losing McDonald isn't a huge loss. Hopefully, Jim Howard is signed for Grand Rapids anyway.

Yeah you cant complain about having your goalies total around 2 million dollars...down 13 million from the year before.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:24 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
he never fit in, with st. loo.

Ozzie fit in just fine here. He was the undisputed #1 goalie, we simply had the opportunity to upgrade and took it(and before anybody says it, Lalime IS an upgrade; the question is how much of an upgrade).

Old
08-09-2005, 11:55 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
900k for a back up/part time starter is pretty damn good.

Good job Holland
I think it's a bad move.
For one, I've never liked Osgood. I think he's shown his true colors since leaving Detroit.
He's a below average NHL goalie who, no matter where he goes, always seems to play just a bit worse than he should have.

At this point, why waste a million dollars on a goalie who really isn;t an upgrade over Legace.
I'd rather have started the year with Legace and MacDonald or Liv and Legace.

The team Ken Holland has assembled is a joke.

The guy has shown no ability to think "outside the box," so to speak.
Schneider? Why not look at Hamrlik, who;s five years younger and better all around?
Why not at least look?

When do the Wings start moving forward?

Old
08-09-2005, 12:03 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick

Swap teams and one could very easily have two Cups and the other still have none. Crazy how one ended up with $6.5M+/yr and the other with $900K, eh?
Crazy how one guy is a Stanley Cup winning goalie who is wanted throughout the league, and one guy is washed up loser who can't even earn a $1M contract.

Osgood would not have won the Cup in Tampa.

You Chrissy Osgood groupies sure love making mountains out of Osgood's stats.

I remember when people used to compare Osgood's stats after, oh, seven seasons, and then compare them to Roy's stats after seven years.

See ... they said ... Osgood is going to be better than Roy ...

Yeah, that proved to be the case, didn't it?

Those of us fortunate enough to live outside the groupie circle realize that Osgood was an average NHL netminder who was the weak link on a great Red Wings team.
The other great teams of the era had Roy, Belfour, and Brodeur.
If the Wings had one of those goalies, or Hasek, they'd probably have been a true dynasty.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
I think it's a bad move.
For one, I've never liked Osgood. I think he's shown his true colors since leaving Detroit.
He's a below average NHL goalie who, no matter where he goes, always seems to play just a bit worse than he should have.

At this point, why waste a million dollars on a goalie who really isn;t an upgrade over Legace.
I'd rather have started the year with Legace and MacDonald or Liv and Legace.

The team Ken Holland has assembled is a joke.

The guy has shown no ability to think "outside the box," so to speak.
Schneider? Why not look at Hamrlik, who;s five years younger and better all around?
Why not at least look?

When do the Wings start moving forward?

If there any truth to the rumors of Manny's off season work outs (or lack there of) the Wings needed a goalie who can play in the NHL. I liked Joey Mac as much as the next guy but where would the team be if Legace is fat and out of shape and the Wings needed him to play a lot of games?

You never know there might be another move, like trading Legace and going with Ozzie and Mac. I dont know what Holland is thinking but when i first heard the Osgood rumor i knew because of their relationship he'd be back.

As for your point about Holland, you know how i feel about the guy. I just hope that Holland is moved "upstairs" before some team smartens up and steals Jim Nills from us. But as of right now the old man isn't gonna get rid of Holland, even with him having to write out all those buy out checks. Mike Illitchs biggest problems is he's loyal to a fault. We;ve seen it with both him teams and it isn't changing anytime soon.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

when a team does not function evenly on defense and requires a goalie to do above and beyond..you are correct.

a solid team, and a solid defense, does not require that.

ozzy is a good netminder but streaky. he will never ever be the level above this. he will NEVER carry a team. but he can get hot. and he can also be off and let up softies.

a team on all cylinders can win with this goaltender and have. But, yes, in the day of unevenness....slow D, stacked offense....Ozzy will not stand on his head and carry Detroit. Detroit needs to carry themselves as a team. Period.

If Detroit wasn't overpaying for their offense, you wouldn't be in this boat.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Crazy how one guy is a Stanley Cup winning goalie who is wanted throughout the league, and one guy is washed up loser who can't even earn a $1M contract.

Osgood would not have won the Cup in Tampa.
Khabibulin wouldn't have won s**t in St. Louis or on the Island. It's amazing the kind of impact one's surroundings have on your earnings.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
when a team does not function evenly on defense and requires a goalie to do above and beyond..you are correct.

a solid team, and a solid defense, does not require that.

ozzy is a good netminder but streaky. he will never ever be the level above this. he will NEVER carry a team. but he can get hot. and he can also be off and let up softies.

a team on all cylinders can win with this goaltender and have. But, yes, in the day of unevenness....slow D, stacked offense....Ozzy will not stand on his head and carry Detroit. Detroit needs to carry themselves as a team. Period.

If Detroit wasn't overpaying for their offense, you wouldn't be in this boat.
What offense?

Closed Thread