HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Eric Lindros To Pittsburgh???

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 05:57 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

vCash: 500
Lindros hasn't been nearly the player the was after the last concussion. He can't play his hard-hitting style he was so good at, so he's not nearly the threat he was. And paired with one more to end his career, I dont see why the Pens should spend any money on him. Worse comes to wrose, kraft goes on the second line, and he did manage to put up 19 goals in 66 games on the Pens last season, which is pretty good considering his wings.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:01 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Now that Domi and Chelios have re-upped with their old teams, I guess we needed this rumor because there has to be at least one player I despise possibly heading to Pittsburgh.

I am really hopeful that this doesn't happen. Even though I don't like the idea of Jozef Stumpel riding shotgun for Palffy, I'll gladly take it over Lindros that's for sure.

Stumple is dead weight, Id rather take a chance on Lindros. Maybe Stuple would play better in Pitt but after his first season, he was invisible in L.A.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:03 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Zero
Lindros hasn't been nearly the player the was after the last concussion. He can't play his hard-hitting style he was so good at, so he's not nearly the threat he was. And paired with one more to end his career, I dont see why the Pens should spend any money on him. Worse comes to wrose, kraft goes on the second line, and he did manage to put up 19 goals in 66 games on the Pens last season, which is pretty good considering his wings.
Eric got 158 pts in 192 games with the Rangers, thats not that bad. And yes in his second year with the Rangers he played a full season but he sucked because he didn't bring that physical style. Lindros is much like Forsberg, when he brings it hes amazing, but he gets hurt often. Hopefully the new rules will help reduce this a bit. I still think he'd be a great pickup if he can stay healthy-- he was incredible with Fleury and York, and it was a shame that Fleury had to check himself into the Substance Abuse program as he was leading the league in points and was a lock for the Art Ross that year, and I'm pretty sure if they could have kept that line together they could have made the playoffs either that year, or the next.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Palffy, Malone, Kraft, and Beech can all play center
Actually Mat, it's Crosby, Malkin, Kraft, Malone, Beech and Pirjeta.

If Malone switches to center like he and his father (Pens long-time Head Scout Greg Malone), then Kraft makes the move to wing if Malkin makes it over.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:10 PM
goalchenyuk

so , it seems that Toronto don't want to sign him , because he ask too much , and pitt now are talking to him !!!!

i like it ! it's like if suddenly the earth is a square...

Old
08-08-2005, 06:28 PM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
If he's going to take 1.5 million he'll probably take it in Toronto. Pens would have to offer 2 - 2.5 to sign Lindros.

Still - that would make for a sick top 6.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:33 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic
That'd be great, and then, hopefully it's a one year contract, then he'd sign with the Isles the next year, and then with the Devils after that! Eric Lindros- The Atlantic division *****.
Seems mildly plausible, actually.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Seems like Pittsburgh is really starting to get carried away with UFA signings. Lindros?

Old
08-08-2005, 06:43 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
why? they had one of the lowest payrolls and theyve only signed two players

boston and phillie are teams who shouldnt have a cent left
Boston? What did they have, something like $5M in dedicated salary as the lockout ended? I don't know from where you're figuring Jeremy Jacobs somehow found the sledgehammer to crack open the piggy bank (sorry, I thought the board was ripe for a good ol' JJ spanking, for no real good reason).

---------------------------

Signing Lindros to a short-term contract would be a great move for any team that needs a center and has the resources to do it. According to this CBA, any team with a player that misses 10 games or 24 days due to a "bonafide" injury can have that player's salary exempt from counting toward the cap. The money would still count toward the players' overall league share and I believe the team would still have to pay his salary, but they would have the ability to fill that hole via trade, waiver wire, etc. Lindros really shouldn't get too much in salary, and he'll always be a risk health-wise as long as he ties skates to his feet, but the guy is still a monster. His skills haven't depreciated; his body - rather, his head - just can't take any more hits.

For his own sake, he really should retire, but as long as he is still willing, I'd sign him were the price right.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:44 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
Lemieux, Crosby, Malkin, Palffy, Malone, Kraft, and Beech can all play center
Yeah... Well technically all sorts of people CAN play center, but Palffy and Malone, as I'm sure you know are wingers and Mario plays the wing now too to avoid the strain of faceoffs and the defensive responsibilities of playing up the middle.

So to list off all these guys that are wingers then look baffled that they Penguins would be looking at a center is just plain odd.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:01 PM
GaryU

I'd like to suggest the Pens sign someone to keep the puck out of the net. I think they'll have enough scoring.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:20 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I can think of a few other players that would be a much better fit for Pittsburgh to be going after right now. Looking at the Pens lineup:

Thibault from Chicago in a big way unless they think that one Fleury, Caron or Chiodo is ready to be a #1 goalie.... I don't.

Roman Hamrlik - Gonchar, Tarnstrom, Orpik and Jackman are a prety good core, and I think that Whitney is ready to make the jump to the NHL, I just think they could afford to add another good defenseman to solidify their blueline.

Anson Carter - ... at least I think he's still on the market. He's been a prety good scorer before and would add a prety good two-way element to the Penguins group of forwards without all the health question marks that Lindros brings.

Old
08-08-2005, 07:30 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
I can think of a few other players that would be a much better fit for Pittsburgh to be going after right now. Looking at the Pens lineup:

Thibault from Chicago in a big way unless they think that one Fleury, Caron or Chiodo is ready to be a #1 goalie.... I don't.

Roman Hamrlik - Gonchar, Tarnstrom, Orpik and Jackman are a prety good core, and I think that Whitney is ready to make the jump to the NHL, I just think they could afford to add another good defenseman to solidify their blueline.

Anson Carter - ... at least I think he's still on the market. He's been a prety good scorer before and would add a prety good two-way element to the Penguins group of forwards without all the health question marks that Lindros brings.
Carter wasn't very good last season, even Lindros had better numbers even though he missed most of the season!

I think in terms of goaltending, they might end up giving up too much for Thibault, and the Pens don't need a starter to stick around with them for 5+ years (plus Thibault is injury prone-- its one thing to have a forward injury prone, ie Forsberg, but they can still contribute, but when you have a goalie injury prone, ie Richter, it blows a hole in the tires of a team)... CuJo is a better fit as he'd play for 2-3 years with the Penguins and then Chiodo or Fleury could step in.

Old
08-08-2005, 08:14 PM
EricBowser

The Pittsburgh Penguins are looking for a third line center and second line insurance policy in case they can get Evgeny Malkin over from Russia or Milan Kraft decides to stay in Czech Republic because of his role on the team will be different from last season.

I don't want Eric Lindros on the team because I think he's too much of a distraction and not the same player he was eights years ago. BUT, if he's healthy, willing to shift to right-wing, and play for $1-1.5 million on 1-year deal, then I could "live" with it.

If Lindros would be signed and Malkin comes over...
Lemieux - Crosby - Palffy
Malone - Malkin - Recchi
Koltsov - Kraft -Lindros
Roy - Pirjeta - Fata
Extra: Surovy - Vandenbussche

...but let me repeat, I'd rather have Chris Gratton as a third or fourth line center than the health/distraction of Lindros.

Old
08-08-2005, 08:42 PM
clefty
What?

Almost every time I hear someone talk about Chris Gratton, it usually contains at least one obscenity and the word "sucks".

Old
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
ProctorSilex

Lindros is still better post concussions than almost the entire Penguin team. 0.879 points per game in his last 3 years in NY. Even Mario don't put up numbers like that anymore.

But that bandwagon must be fun to just blindly hate a guy without watching him play.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Proctor,
I'm willing to bet a two-ney that Mario outproduces Lindros by at least 15, and probably 20, points this season.

For that matter, Crosby, Malkin (if he comes over), Palffy, Recchi and Gonchar will also outpoint him.

So no, most of the Pens can still outproduce Lindros...especially TOGETHER.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Ryan Malone will probablly out score Lindros this season.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Eric Lindros and Mark Recchi don't each other so that could create some friction

Old
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
dolfanar

Location: Like a midget at a urinal, I'm going to have to stay on my toes.
Ok... the Penguins are truly entering scary territory on some of these rumors. They look like a 17 year old with his first paycheck. They have a good top couple lines and some kids who could fill some holes, a good offensive D-corp, but they have a pamper patrol in goal.

For god sakes, enough with the "high profile" signings, at one point your fan base will be saturated by the signings and it will NOT equal more tickets, not to mention that of all the teams in the league the Pens will have the biggest hurdle in terms of establishing team chemistry (which has killed the Rangers in recent years).

Enough is enough. Sign a goalie, sign the RFA's and maybe go after a couple character veterans. Rome wasn't built in a day... I wonder if an Igloo can be?

Old
08-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfanar
Ok... the Penguins are truly entering scary territory on some of these rumors. They look like a 17 year old with his first paycheck. They have a good top couple lines and some kids who could fill some holes, a good offensive D-corp, but they have a pamper patrol in goal.

For god sakes, enough with the "high profile" signings, at one point your fan base will be saturated by the signings and it will NOT equal more tickets, not to mention that of all the teams in the league the Pens will have the biggest hurdle in terms of establishing team chemistry (which has killed the Rangers in recent years).

Enough is enough. Sign a goalie, sign the RFA's and maybe go after a couple character veterans. Rome wasn't built in a day... I wonder if an Igloo can be?
You hit the nail on the head, without even intending to I think. The Pens are hoping a lot of buzz = slots $$'s being used at least partially for a new Igloo (arena).

Old
08-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Pittsburg will sign Lindross , Whitt, and Cujo and call it a day.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:32 PM
maxpenguins6630

I really hope you are right

Old
08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
ProctorSilex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Proctor,
I'm willing to bet a two-ney that Mario outproduces Lindros by at least 15, and probably 20, points this season.

For that matter, Crosby, Malkin (if he comes over), Palffy, Recchi and Gonchar will also outpoint him.

So no, most of the Pens can still outproduce Lindros...especially TOGETHER.
I'm willing to take that bet. Especially the absurd notion that a couple rookies will put up more numbers on one of the weakest teams in the league.

Closed Thread