Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to "Bend Your Knees"

02-10-2014, 11:01 PM
vCash: 500
How to "Bend Your Knees"

We have all heard it many times. The way to go fast is to bend your knees. Elite players may be able to do this, but players like myself have a great difficulty "bending their knees." So, my question is How do I make sure my knees are bent when I am on the ice? Any tips?

Off ice when focusing I can get to a 90 degree knee bend, but it just doesn't happen on ice.

hockeybro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-11-2014, 04:06 AM
American in Paris
A deep knee bend into a correct hockey stance requires a deep bend of the ankle and a slight bend at the hip.

When you bend your knees is your body weight properly centered over the arches of your feet?

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
02-11-2014, 05:31 AM
I practice off ice by doing squats (no weights) with 5 x 30 reps and concentrating on the movement range low down, ie beyond 90deg to like 110/120.

I've spent a lot of time on the ice consciously bending low during skating. I pretty much always intentionally squat low a few times when warming up.

I find as I get warmed up I sink lower during faster, harder skating. After a while you just know when to go low and when you can stand up.

(age 50, skating for 17 months now)

TheRedShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
02-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Air chair exercise (sitting on the wall like you're in a chair without a chair) helped me to bend my knees better. Also, touching your toes with a straight leg will help. I am working with a figure skating coach and she preaches the off-ice exercises. As mentioned, squats help. Leg presses help.

ragingrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
02-11-2014, 08:04 AM
whats the old Chinese proverb? something about doing "it" 10,000 times before mastery or "it"?
my suggestion to players when I see them struggle with knee bend is for them to pick a spot on the boards/glass and focus their eyes on it. by this I mean get in a deep knee bend and to make sure you are staying down as you skate around the rink focus on the top op the boards. if it stays level in your vision, you are staying down, if its moving up and down in your vision you are moving up and down. now exaggerate that low, deep bend. Now I'm not saying to stare at the boards all the time, but if every time you are at the rink you do a few laps like this you will develop muscle memory, if you continue practicing it.

I would also remind you that a deep knee bend does nothing if you still have a short stride, you must get full extension of your leg on each stride or you will still be wasting your time.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
02-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Do you tape your ankles over the back of the skate? If you do, it will hinder your ankle bend.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote