HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Landeskog vs Duchene

Old
02-11-2014, 01:12 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Landeskog vs Duchene

Hey guys, I come in peace. Just want your honest opinion about two players who you guys would know a lot better than I do.

I s'posed on the Oilers board that GL would probably be on the Canadian Olympic team if he was lucky enough to be Canadian

Some folks think that's funny, but I'm under the impression that GL is a very complete player. At least as good as Duchene is.

The two players have virtually the same # of points (Duchene has 2 more with 2 less gp) and Landeskog is +16 while Duchene is even.

So what's the deal, how much better is Duchene than Landeskog? Duchene made the team, is Landeskog so far behind him that he wouldn't be a consideration?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:18 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 396
Hard to know. Team Canada could probably after the top five-six forwards have picked eight out of twenty forwards. I could see someone like Landeskog being attractive because he brings a strong two-way game but at the same time they said no to Eric Staal.

I could see picking Landeskog over Benn or Duchene, but it's not a given.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:20 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

They are two very, very different players, hard to compare. Just different players in the end.

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:23 AM
BoxOfChocolates

I personally prefer Landeskog because of his two-way play, intangibles and consistency. Not to mention his ability to turn into an absolute beast (2012 playoff run)

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:25 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Are Oiler fans aware Landy was given an A by Sweden and is playing on the top line with Zetterberg and Steen? So it is a valid question I suppose, Sweden seems to think a lot of him.

I don't know that he'd make Canada because of his age and I'm not going to try and argue Landy is better than anyone on the team or Duchene. Canada is obviously a very difficult team to make and many deserving players were left out. I'd only say age and experience would hold Landy back in this scenario.

Landy is quietly having a fantastic season. He's playing a shutdown role with Stastny and as you said +16 and second in points while doing so is remarkable. I don't really want to get into who is better, their games are a lot different. Duchene is speedy and flashy while Landy plays that heavy power forward role. The thinking is that it was Duchene's speed that got him a spot on Canada, so maybe that's the attribute they valued the most.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:29 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
They are two very, very different players, hard to compare. Just different players in the end.
This. Apples and oranges.

Landy = Physical power forward

Duchene = Fast skating playmaker

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Oi'll say!

Thanks guys.

Given that Duchene isn't likely to be on the top two lines, what are the chances of either player being used in a 3rd or 4th line role?

I think Landeskog would make it there well ahead of Duchene.

Old
02-11-2014, 01:40 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Are Oiler fans aware Landy was given an A by Sweden and is playing on the top line with Zetterberg and Steen?
I wasn't aware of that, so it's at least partly a "no".

Old
02-11-2014, 01:45 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Thanks guys.

Given that Duchene isn't likely to be on the top two lines, what are the chances of either player being used in a 3rd or 4th line role?

Yeah I'd agree with that, Landy's game translates to that type of role better. But even then Canada seemed to defer older for their role players. It would be mainly politics that would leave Landy out but his game certainly should merit consideration.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 01:45 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Duchene is there for his speed and skating ability so I don't think Landeskog would replace him if he was Canadian.

Landeskog might have a chance but it would probably come down to him or Benn.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Avs71

Landeskog would have a better chance if it was a regular sized ice surface. If they picked him, it would be to form a shutdown line with Toews I would imagine. It would be like a faster Mike Richards being picked back in 2010.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Early word right now is that Dutchy will be a scratch, but a fourth-line spot isn't out of the question.

Dutchess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Hey guys, I come in peace. Just want your honest opinion about two players who you guys would know a lot better than I do.

I s'posed on the Oilers board that GL would probably be on the Canadian Olympic team if he was lucky enough to be Canadian

Some folks think that's funny, but I'm under the impression that GL is a very complete player. At least as good as Duchene is.

The two players have virtually the same # of points (Duchene has 2 more with 2 less gp) and Landeskog is +16 while Duchene is even.

So what's the deal, how much better is Duchene than Landeskog? Duchene made the team, is Landeskog so far behind him that he wouldn't be a consideration?
Keep in mind, when the teams were picked, Duchene was scoring at a much, much higher rate.

Landy has caught up in points now partially because he's been playing well but largely because Duchene has cooled off a lot. If Duchene started the year the way he's been playing lately, he wouldn't have made the team.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
JoeSakic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrama21 View Post
Early word right now is that Dutchy will be a scratch, but a fourth-line spot isn't out of the question.
He is a healthy scratch yes, but I wouldn't rule out Dutch possibly plugging in on any line really. You look at the 4 lines and 3 of them are built on pre-existing chemistry. If it's found that the chemistry doesn't work on international ice, this could easily be changed. Also for some reason I don't see Carter on the top line being a permanent fixture. Personally I see Tavares being a much better fit for that line.

JoeSakic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic13 View Post
He is a healthy scratch yes, but I wouldn't rule out Dutch possibly plugging in on any line really. You look at the 4 lines and 3 of them are built on pre-existing chemistry. If it's found that the chemistry doesn't work on international ice, this could easily be changed. Also for some reason I don't see Carter on the top line being a permanent fixture. Personally I see Tavares being a much better fit for that line.
Yeah, I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if Babcock doesnt hesitate for a second to pull a guy out of the lineup as soon as he starts struggling to replace him with one of the scratches.

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Nihiliste

I'm hoping that Kunitz gets Seabrooked early on and Dutchy gets to play

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Duchene needs to be on an offensive line to succeed. Landeskog can be put in any role and situation and succeed. I think that's the main difference.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:11 AM
JoeSakic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I'm hoping that Kunitz gets Seabrooked early on and Dutchy gets to play
Yeah I don't think anyone was shocked to see Kunitz be on a line with Crosby. However I stand by the spot that having him on the top line (not to mention Carter) is a waste of Crosby's talent. Stammer would have been an awesome fit and it's a shame we don't have him there, but the two guys they have instead of him aren't guys I would consider pure-goal scorers nor guys with blinding speed. Put Tavares/Nash on one wing and Benn/St. Louis/Duchene on the other.

Old
02-11-2014, 10:43 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Yeah I don't think anyone was shocked to see Kunitz be on a line with Crosby. However I stand by the spot that having him on the top line (not to mention Carter) is a waste of Crosby's talent. Stammer would have been an awesome fit and it's a shame we don't have him there, but the two guys they have instead of him aren't guys I would consider pure-goal scorers nor guys with blinding speed. Put Tavares/Nash on one wing and Benn/St. Louis/Duchene on the other.
Jeff Carter is a pure goal scorer. I wasn't happy to see Carter named to the team. I don't think he deserves it at all but if he's going to be there he is the ideal replacement for Stamkos on Crosby's wing.

What bothers me the most is that this is an international tournament being played on the big ice. Babcock said from the start his biggest game plan is to use speed. He selected a few guys to go over there because of the speed they would bring to the big ice yet his 2 fastest skaters are his 2 healthy scratches.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:54 AM
JoeSakic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Jeff Carter is a pure goal scorer. I wasn't happy to see Carter named to the team. I don't think he deserves it at all but if he's going to be there he is the ideal replacement for Stamkos on Crosby's wing.

What bothers me the most is that this is an international tournament being played on the big ice. Babcock said from the start his biggest game plan is to use speed. He selected a few guys to go over there because of the speed they would bring to the big ice yet his 2 fastest skaters are his 2 healthy scratches.
Sorry I haven't really seen him as a pure goal-scorer since he shipped out of Philly. He can snipe, don't get me wrong. However is he a better goal-scorer than Tavares? I'd argue no.

Yeah that bothered me a bit too. Sure I have a bias due to the fact that one of the 2 scratches is my favourite player, but I can't help but think seeing Duchene or St. Louis flying up the wing to set up......literally any of our centers is a scary thought.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
CB Joe

MacKinnon

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 12:27 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Sorry I haven't really seen him as a pure goal-scorer since he shipped out of Philly. He can snipe, don't get me wrong. However is he a better goal-scorer than Tavares? I'd argue no.

Yeah that bothered me a bit too. Sure I have a bias due to the fact that one of the 2 scratches is my favourite player, but I can't help but think seeing Duchene or St. Louis flying up the wing to set up......literally any of our centers is a scary thought.
Carter probably isn't a better goal scorer than Tavares, no but Tavares brings a lot more to the table and is able to make the players around him much better so it wouldn't be worth it to waste that and stick him on the wing. Nobody needs to make Crosby better. Carter will score close to as good as Tavares would on Crosby's wing while not having to bring a whole lot else. Tavares will be making an entire line better at the same time.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote