HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-19-2014, 12:19 PM
  #901
Riche16
McCready guitar god
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: State of Inebriation
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
If paying a guy like Boyle or Moore and extra 500k or so is the difference between keeping our bottom 6 in tact as opposed to keeping the trend of bottom 6 turnover going like we have for years count me in. The money will be there if we don't go blow it all on everyone's pipe dream Stastny.
Everyone keeps saying this but you can't overpay Boyle AND Cally AND Girardi, etc. etc. etc.

You have to cut it off somewhere.

As far as Stasny goes, yeah you can call him a pipe dream... Sather can not sign him... and then when you buy out Richards you'll have plenty of $ and no one to spend it on.

I'm not advocating Stasny, but you have to fill the #1 (or #2... whatever) C position and it's not coming from Hartford.

Bottom line, with all the UFAs and with the Richards buyout a certainty, this team WILL look radically different next season. It a numbers game. You can't re-up everyone, and even if you could... would you really want to?!?!

Riche16 is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:35 PM
  #902
RGY
Kreid or Die
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,380
vCash: 500
Love how were grouping Boyle's "potential" asking price with Callahan and Girardi's reported asking prices.

RGY is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:41 PM
  #903
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Da Big Apple
Country: United States
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Are you talking about trading Zuccarello?
Only if with limited time in the season and IF he were out the next 2-3 wks min, meaning he is literally only good for end of season and playoffs, and is UFA after, then yes, I would suggest see if an offer is high enough -- at least a 1st.

Happily not the case.
not broken - believed stress injury ok w/in 7-10 days.

In that case no deal unless offers are crazy.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
  #904
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough
 
Hire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 25,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Everyone keeps saying this but you can't overpay Boyle AND Cally AND Girardi, etc. etc. etc.

You have to cut it off somewhere.

As far as Stasny goes, yeah you can call him a pipe dream... Sather can not sign him... and then when you buy out Richards you'll have plenty of $ and no one to spend it on.

I'm not advocating Stasny, but you have to fill the #1 (or #2... whatever) C position and it's not coming from Hartford.

Bottom line, with all the UFAs and with the Richards buyout a certainty, this team WILL look radically different next season. It a numbers game. You can't re-up everyone, and even if you could... would you really want to?!?!
Starting to become a regular thing.

Theres no perfect way, or certain way to build a team but I do believe in continuity and building off your past failures.

With the changes we make every season, thats really difficult to do.

I don't want to keep Callahan for what he wants. But I'm really hoping we keep G and Stralman. The defense we have right now is pretty damn good and by far the strength of our team along with Hank. I'm confident Girardi will be back but I think Stralman will be paid elsewhere.

Then theres Boyle. Seems like a guy who will no doubt get overpaid. I'd like to retain him though.

Hire Sather is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
  #905
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Playing video games
Country: United States
Posts: 61,959
vCash: 50
Zuccarello will be a RFA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Only if with limited time in the season and IF he were out the next 2-3 wks min, meaning he is literally only good for end of season and playoffs, and is UFA after, then yes, I would suggest see if an offer is high enough -- at least a 1st.

Happily not the case.
not broken - believed stress injury ok w/in 7-10 days.

In that case no deal unless offers are crazy.

__________________
Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
  #906
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Da Big Apple
Country: United States
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Zuccarello will be a RFA...
Thanks for the reminder, I stand corrected.

bernmeister is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
  #907
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Ryan McDonagh impressive all tournament. Playing his weak side, too.
https://twitter.com/GlobeFluto/statu...17520618741760

McD has no weak side.

Pierre McGuire asked him about playing weak side with Suter. McDonagh didn't seem fazed by playing right side. He reads off of Suter.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
  #909
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,058
vCash: 500
Ryan McDonagh is playing on the top Defensive Pair for Definitely one of the top 3 teams in the Olympics, if not the outright best team.

On his "off-side" for the first time in his career.

Just marvel at that.

Inferno is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
  #910
TheTakedown
Puck is Life
 
TheTakedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
Boyle's looking at 6 years 5+ million at least.

Trade him for a 7th. Get some value in return at least.
You're not confusing Dan with brian are you? That's a crap ton of money (unless you're joking, then my apologies)

TheTakedown is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
  #912
TheTakedown
Puck is Life
 
TheTakedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
Is either Boyle capable of getting that type of contract?
Well you never know with that call going up brahhh

Jk :p

TheTakedown is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:41 PM
  #913
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
cally's value probably rising with his olympic showing...not sure what that means, in terms of a trade. but probably not going to lower his price for the rangers.

egelband is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 02:46 PM
  #914
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
cally's value probably rising with his olympic showing...not sure what that means, in terms of a trade. but probably not going to lower his price for the rangers.
He's playing well w backes so the blues may bite. Need a lot for Cally , gonna be a sad day but likely has to happen

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
  #915
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yokohama
Country: United States
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
...gonna be a sad day but likely has to happen
i know how you feel. cally is a home-grown local guy who's turned into a world-class player. and the kind of player the rangers - and any team - would really want. but he's probably going to be traded and - in a capped world - it is probably the correct thing to do. unless cally is viewed as the replacement for richards, salary-wise.

egelband is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:28 PM
  #916
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 19,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/GlobeFluto/statu...17520618741760

McD has no weak side.

Pierre McGuire asked him about playing weak side with Suter. McDonagh didn't seem fazed by playing right side. He reads off of Suter.
It's impressive for sure. Doubt we see it happen with the Rangers until Girardi is moved, but it's an interesting contingency plan. Easier to find another lefty than a righty. I know there's one in Vancouver that seemed to be a favorite of our current coach, but is in the dog house of our old one.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
  #917
TheTakedown
Puck is Life
 
TheTakedown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's impressive for sure. Doubt we see it happen with the Rangers until Girardi is moved, but it's an interesting contingency plan. Easier to find another lefty than a righty. I know there's one in Vancouver that seemed to be a favorite of our current coach, but is in the dog house of our old one.
Which one in particular?

TheTakedown is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:40 PM
  #918
Thirty One
k.
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,053
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Which one in particular?
He means Edler, I'm sure.

Thirty One is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:47 PM
  #920
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 19,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He means Edler, I'm sure.
Ding ding.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
  #921
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 20,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Ryan McDonagh is playing on the top Defensive Pair for Definitely one of the top 3 teams in the Olympics, if not the outright best team.

On his "off-side" for the first time in his career.

Just marvel at that.
Suter makes the break out pass 4/5 times. It's easier to play the off-side on the big ice.

Can anyone name one single right shooting D playing on the left in the NHL? There is a reason for that. The Czech used Gudas on LD, you would never see that in the NHL.

It would be great if McD could play RD. But it's not something we could count on. Staal would not take care of the out let passes like Suter is doing. McD would have one option with the puck, take it to center ice. He can't go wide off he forechecker and and make the N-S play.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
  #922
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 19,641
vCash: 500
Who says Staal would be the other guy on the pairing?

Trxjw is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
  #923
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,155
vCash: 500
We need an upgrade at C in the worst way.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-19-2014, 04:08 PM
  #924
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
We need an upgrade at C in the worst way.
But not an "upgrade" like Stastny for 7.5 million.

jniklast is online now  
Old
02-19-2014, 04:10 PM
  #925
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
But not an "upgrade" like Stastny for 7.5 million.
The problem is as the cap goes up, so will the contracts. Even mediocre guys are going to get paid well (see Clarkson) moving forward, especially as the cap continues to rise.

and Stastny overpaid or not would be a clear upgrade.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.