HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2014, 08:58 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Mueller I can see as he was just their number 1 last year and he's got good size and skating according to reports - but ANOTHER LHD who plays a sound 2-way game? I mean, I know that they say you can never have too many, but...

As for the other two, do they project to be more than average third liners? Nothing about their stats or profiles blows me away. I might rather have the picks.
If he develops, same with Skjei, it's a good problem to have. Move others to make space.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
People are getting really ridiculous with the demands for an unsigned Callahan around here.
Clowe had multiple teams bidding on him. He was older than Cally is now. He had injury concerns and he had scored 0 goals. We gave up a 2nd, a 3rd which was almost a 2nd, and a conditional 2nd/5th.

Callahan is worth more than Clowe was IMO, so if you figure that the price for an unsigned Clowe was a 2nd, a very high 3rd and a 5th, the price for an unsigned Callahan should be a 1st and a 2nd, or a good prospect and a 2nd or 3rd. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Thanks for the info, bobbop!

But I can't imagine what San Jose could give up that would make me want to trade Callahan. Don't really see a fit.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Thanks for the info, bobbop!

But I can't imagine what San Jose could give up that would make me want to trade Callahan. Don't really see a fit.
As a rental? Mueller, Nieto, 1st, 2nd, they have pieces.

If no team is willing to trade for him and sign him, as a rental, those are the types of pieces the Rangers are going to see.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Matt4776

vCash: 143
I really really want an offensive RHD prospect for either/both players.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:11 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Would the Sharks move Tennyson? I watched him a good bit when he was hyped as an undrafted NCAA FA. Lot to like in his game. Though I think we'd all prefer a forward.

02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
As a rental? Mueller, Nieto, 1st, 2nd, they have pieces.

If no team is willing to trade for him and sign him, as a rental, those are the types of pieces the Rangers are going to see.
Yeah, for a Callahan trade I would want at least a 3rd line wing who can approximate his ES production. Not that that's the definitive asking price, but that's my preference.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Clowe had multiple teams bidding on him. He was older than Cally is now. He had injury concerns and he had scored 0 goals. We gave up a 2nd, a 3rd which was almost a 2nd, and a conditional 2nd/5th.

Callahan is worth more than Clowe was IMO, so if you figure that the price for an unsigned Clowe was a 2nd, a very high 3rd and a 5th, the price for an unsigned Callahan should be a 1st and a 2nd, or a good prospect and a 2nd or 3rd. I don't think that's unrealistic at all.
Or maybe Sather overpaid and that did not set the market at all?

Old
02-12-2014, 09:22 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, for a Callahan trade I would want at least a 3rd line wing who can approximate his ES production. Not that that's the definitive asking price, but that's my preference.
I'm not sure you get that for a rental player though. Why would a team move a 3rd liner (most likely younger is the preference as well) who scores as much as Callahan who will be around for a while for a rental like Callahan? Would you not want future assets on top of that?

Old
02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
Or maybe Sather overpaid and that did not set the market at all?
The Canucks and Habs were willing to pay more. Clowe had a NTC, he waived it for the Rangers because he believed he had a better chance of getting a new deal here.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Old
02-12-2014, 09:31 AM
RGY
Kreid or Die

Quote:
This. Need someone to replace Callahan's minutes.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
The Canucks and Habs were willing to pay more. Clowe had a NTC, he waived it for the Rangers because he believed he had a better chance of getting a new deal here.
Really and you know this as a fact?

Maybe it was San Jose knowing Clowe was damaged goods, knew they were not going to sign him to that next contract and they pulled one over on Sather then replaced Clowe with Torres for a cheaper price than the Rangers paid?

I mean if we are speculating and all.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'm not sure you get that for a rental player though. Why would a team move a 3rd liner (most likely younger is the preference as well) who scores as much as Callahan who will be around for a while for a rental like Callahan? Would you not want future assets on top of that?
Scores as much at even-strength, but Callahan has PP ability which has gone unused for most of this year. Younger isn't a necessity, but controllable beyond this year would be nice. I think they should be able to get something like Stewart/Versteeg/Parenteau plus a high pick.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
Really and you know this as a fact?

Maybe it was San Jose knowing Clowe was damaged goods, knew they were not going to sign him to that next contract and they pulled one over on Sather then replaced Clowe with Torres for a cheaper price than the Rangers paid?

I mean if we are speculating and all.
Quote:
I always wondered what the Canucks offered which they thought was a better deal. Well, tonight I was the word I got was that it was their first round draft pick, and that does make sense (how else were they going to beat a package that was essentially two 2013 seconds from NY?)
Quote:
With his NTC, Clowe had final say and chose NY for family reasons and probably also because he believed the Rangers were more likely to meet his demand as a pending UFA, which at the time was a $34 million contract.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/11...ths-back-baby/

Not speculation.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:43 AM
Gardner McKay
Global Moderator
Last Mango In Paris

vCash: 116
Quote:
I don't think San Jose has that unique kind of player available that I'd like to target in a trade. However, Callahan would strictly be a rental so I imagine the package from them would be a salary dump and a high pick or decent prospect.

People are getting really ridiculous with the demands for an unsigned Callahan around here.
Blasphemy. We are almost sure to get multiple prospects + current 2nd liner + 1st for a 2nd/3rd tweener. Intangibles and all right?

They keep calling out my name, I shout it down
--
Old
02-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Made Dan

Wish we could get Nieto+1st for him.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I understand the desire for the Rangers to get back a 3rd liner in a trade for Callahan to plug that hole instantly, but I don't think the teams that would have interest in him match up well for that kind of trade.

Rather just get pure futures like SJ did for Clowe, then worry about making another deal for a Stewart/Seto-type pickup.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
Ah I see, so some blogger got word, the white towel said it, it has to be the truth, Is there any like official team management quote that said that is what they were offering?

Quote:
With his NTC, Clowe had final say and chose NY for family reasons and probably also because he believed the Rangers were more likely to meet his demand as a pending UFA, which at the time was a $34 million contract.
not speculation at all

Old
02-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
Ah I see, so some blogger got word, the white towel said it, it has to be the truth, Is there any like official team management quote that said that is what they were offering?

not speculation at all
The Province is a newspaper, not a blogger. Jason Botchford is a legitimate source.

Bottom line, the Canucks offered more.

And when has a GM or management member ever come out to the news and say "We offered XYZ for XYZ"?

Last edited by Raspewtin: 02-12-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 09:59 AM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:

Completely accurate.

ALso remember that this was his value at the TRADE DEADLINE to a contending BUYER team...

We're still a month away from the deadline, there is time for Cally's value to go up.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Off Sides

Quote:
The Province is a newspaper, not a blogger. Jason Botchford is a legitimate source.

Bottom line, the Canucks offered more.

And when has a GM or management member ever come out to the news and say "We offered XYZ for XYZ"?
That is like saying Larry Brooks is a legitimate source who never makes anything up and disguises what he makes up to look like it's not his own speculation.

And they still said "probably" in the same sentence as what they said they "got word," Who they got word from, they don't even attempt to clarify as a legitimate source, they could have read it on these boards.

With that aside, even if you are correct, you are saying the Rangers were basically bidding against themselves since Clowe "probably" waived for the Rangers because he thought they may be his best chance to resign and for family reasons.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
That is like saying Larry Brooks is a legitimate source who never makes anything up and disguises what he makes up to look like it's not his own speculation.

And they still said "probably" in the same sentence as what they said they have "heard" Who they heard it from, they don't even attempt to clarify as a legitimate source, they could have read it on these boards.

With that aside, even if you are correct, you are saying the Rangers were basically bidding against themselves since Clowe "probably" waived for the Rangers because he thought they may be his best chance to resign and for family reasons.
So a legitimate writer is making things up? If you feel that way I don't what to tell you.

Whatever, I don't care, just wanted to point out the Canucks offered more.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I was referring to the people who assume he's going to get a bluechip prospect or comparable roster player and a first round pick. Sometimes even more.

Also, the market is ripe with UFA forwards this year.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
I was referring to the people who assume he's going to get a bluechip prospect or comparable roster player and a first round pick. Sometimes even more.

Also, the market is ripe with UFA forwards this year.
A lot of them have a cap-hit of upwards $7 million though, and cap space has never been more scarce. Also Callahan has those intangibles that NHL GMs are likely to overvalue.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:46 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

San Jose isn't paying Callahan at nearly $7M per for 7 years. They gave Pavelski $30M for 5 which is the same offer from the Rangers for Callahan which isn't enough for him. SJ traded a #1 in 2008 to rent Brian Campbell from Buffalo. Tyler Ennis was chosen with that pick. Wilson also traded a #1 in 2007 and Gorges to Montreal for Rivet. He re-signed Rivet who was a potential group III. Montreal chose Pacioretty with that pick.

Closed Thread