HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnson suspended for 2 games

Old
02-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Huis Clos*

vCash: 500
If this happened to Duchene instead of Nielsen you would all be screaming bloody murder.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:25 AM
klozge
Avs

The Department of Player Safety is a circus. That is all.

klozge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:26 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
If this happened to Duchene instead of Nielsen you would all be screaming bloody murder.
No, I know I wouldn't.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:37 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Hope Shanaban gets a job with a team somewhere soon.
Preferably in the KHL, because he deserves to be sent to Siberia for being useless.

niwotsblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

vCash: 50
Johnson should appeal.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:49 AM
raistlin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglesnipe View Post
Johnson should appeal.
As I stated before he can't. Players can appeal if suspension is minimum of 6 games.

raistlin76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Jack View Post
Duchene gets either lumber jacked or cross checked almost every single game and nothing. I guess we'll have to get used to it with ****** Shanny in charge.
Not to defend anyone here, but people blaming Shanahan can look at Bettman/the GMs/the owners. If you don't think he's getting his strings pulled from every direction, I don't know what to tell you.

Dutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:21 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Found another slash that didn't get suspended or fined. Cowen two handed Silfverberg and broke his hand earlier in the year. There's a vine showing the play in the link below.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/si...ame-with-video

BTW, the Hartnell thing only wasn't bad because Nate didn't get hurt. He easily could have ended his season though, and MacKinnon was extremely lucky to get away unscathed.
Hartnell tripped him using his leg, it was no full on knee-on-knee that could have ended Nate's season. It was a 2 minute penalty and he got it.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:23 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I didn't think he would get more than a fine before I heard about Nielsens injury. But unfortunately injuries is a major factor when NHL reviews these things. And It's the same for everybody.

It's even more embarrassing that everyone here would surely call for a lot more than 2 min if it was MacDonald or someone who two-handed slashed ROR over his hand to get him sidelined for a month.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:50 AM
chet1926

I don't have a problem with the suspension. I have a problem with how it was handled. The waited a full 3 days before even saying there was going to be a phone hearing. Plus they waited until it was found out that the player broke his hand before they did anything. Meaning it probably would have been nothing, not even a fine, had there been no injury. This is the BS part of the whole thing its either suspendable offense or it not. You can't start playing the cause and effect game.

If the NHL had come out the day after the game and said EJ was going to have a phone hearing and they gave him 2 games, then fine. But the fact is they waited to see how the other player fared before they did anything.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I didn't think he would get more than a fine before I heard about Nielsens injury. But unfortunately injuries is a major factor when NHL reviews these things. And It's the same for everybody.

It's even more embarrassing that everyone here would surely call for a lot more than 2 min if it was MacDonald or someone who two-handed slashed ROR over his hand to get him sidelined for a month.
And this is what makes me so mad. Well, not necessarily that players who injure others get suspended but that other players can do much worse and don't even get a hearing because they got lucky and the other player didn't get injured. It should be simple. You do this, you'll be suspended for x games no matter what. Only then some ugly stuff gets taken out of the game.
Tim Thomas can bang a player's head with his stick and gets two minutes for high sticking. EJ makes a stupid play which goes wrong and is suspended for two games. That's ridiculous.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Hesher
isolate and medicate

No surprise, Shanahan is awesome

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Hartnell tripped him using his leg, it was no full on knee-on-knee that could have ended Nate's season. It was a 2 minute penalty and he got it.
He looked like he was sliding into second base, and turned his whole body to kick at Nate's legs. You know how easily he could have caught a rut along the boards and just wrecked his knee for the season on a play like that? All he had to do was have his legs locked to get seriously injured, but lucky for him he saw Hartnell's dumbass at the last second and smartly jumped a little to keep his knee from being locked when he was hit. How many injuries have we seen on nothing plays where there was a little bump along the boards, and it ended someone's season. Happened to Downie last year.

If Nate gets hurt on that play, Hartnell's suspended for sure, and that's a stupid way to approach things. It doesn't teach the players not to make dirty plays, or make hits from behind, because they know the other guy has to get seriously hurt to be punished. Meanwhile, it punishes guys like EJ for making hockey plays that have been around since the beginning of hockey, because a guy broke his thumb.

If they take the injury factor out of it, and start punishing guys for the action instead, it will make players scared to make dirty plays they're trying to take out of the game, because they know they could be suspended no matter what. The dangerous plays they're trying to eliminate like Hartnells knee, and Kadri's dangerous hit from behind on Ceci. Both of which went unpunished because the opponent was lucky enough not to get an injury that kept them out of a game.

Last edited by Mystic MacK: 02-12-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
As I stated before he can't. Players can appeal if suspension is minimum of 6 games.
He should appeal the ability to appeal.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Nzap
#Pogback

Quote:
Yeah there have been absolutely no-one here saying the suspension was justified

There have been you know

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Yeah, I probably would.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
They shouldn't. But they do. And that's just the rules sadly. Which is why a lot of these other example coming up went unsuspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperman View Post
As important the intent is or we would like it to be, the result of the actions of the "guilty" is as important if not more, like in society in general.

For example, if somebody shoots another person and kills that person, the punishment will be far greater than if that same person was only injured.

Not different here. Consequences of the action(s) matter.
If you watch Shanny's videos, he says himself that the result of the action does not dictate the punishment. A suspendable play is a suspendable play whether it caused injury or not.

In this situation it would seem Shanny ignored his own ruling to suspend EJ, setting yet another precedent using an Avs player that will never be followed through with in the future.

Let's be honest here, Kessel baseball swung at Scott, a far more dangerous play and all he lost was the rest of his preseason.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:36 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
If you watch Shanny's videos, he says himself that the result of the action does not dictate the punishment. A suspendable play is a suspendable play whether it caused injury or not.

In this situation it would seem Shanny ignored his own ruling to suspend EJ, setting yet another precedent using an Avs player that will never be followed through with in the future.

Let's be honest here, Kessel baseball swung at Scott, a far more dangerous play and all he lost was the rest of his preseason.
Not to mention Kessels hack job was intended to hurt Scott. It wasnt a hockey play whereas Johnsons slash imo was meant to hit the stick and knock the puck of Frans stick. Shannahan is a wife stealing dickwad who sucks at his job.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
That's flat-out false.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm...=/playersafety

That's a screengrab from EJ's suspension video. It outlines in no uncertain terms that resulting injuries most certainly do play a part in the suspension process. It's like that with EVERY Shanaban video. I don't see how in the world you concluded differently.

Quote:
Kessel was justified in his actions. At least with the first swing. He had a guy twice his size drop the gloves and go after him. What was he supposed to do? The fault lies with Scott and Rolston for trying to goon it up against Phil frickin' Kessel in the first place. Once Scott was tied up with another player, I agree, the 2nd swing was unnecessary. I don't blame him for a minute for the first one though.

Old
02-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
And most everybody else would have the same confused reaction the suspension. It's called being biased.

Old
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
nanzenkills

In a vacuum, I'm OK with the suspension. He did slash Nielsen, and he did break Nielsen's hand. However, in the context of all the crap that was let go against our team (cross-check to Stastny's mouth, spear to Mitchell's groin, kneeing on MacKinnon, etc.), I think it's ********.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
In a vacuum, I'm OK with the suspension. He did slash Nielsen, and he did break Nielsen's hand. However, in the context of all the crap that was let go against our team (cross-check to Stastny's mouth, spear to Mitchell's groin, kneeing on MacKinnon, etc.), I think it's ********.
That I agree with.

Old
02-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
That's flat-out false.
Oh please, you're attacking the wrong person here. Do your own homework.

A suspension IS NOT influenced by injury. The LENGTH of the suspension is influenced by injury. Do I really need to put the video in here myself or can you look it up yourself?

The fact of the matter is that first Shanny and co determined the slash warranted a suspension. That was (supposed to be) independent of the injury itself and solely based on the play. Then player history and result is taken into account.

In this situation the league suspended EJ 4 days after the event occurred once the injury was made known, nothing would have happened without the injury. Therefore I concluded that the league was suspending EJ retroactively to the fact an injury resulted from the play.

Suspensions MAY NOT be due to an injury, their length MAY be due to injury.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Oh please, you're attacking the wrong person here. Do your own homework.

A suspension IS NOT influenced by injury. The LENGTH of the suspension is influenced by injury. Do I really need to put the video in here myself or can you look it up yourself?

The fact of the matter is that first Shanny and co determined the slash warranted a suspension. That was (supposed to be) independent of the injury itself and solely based on the play. Then player history and result is taken into account.

In this situation the league suspended EJ 4 days after the event occurred once the injury was made known, nothing would have happened without the injury. Therefore I concluded that the league was suspending EJ retroactively to the fact an injury resulted from the play.

Suspensions MAY NOT be due to an injury, their length MAY be due to injury.
I think Shanny is flat out lying. If you have identical plays, the one where an injury occurs will end up with a suspension. They just don't want to come out and say that.

It's why Kadri didn't receive a suspension for an obvious checking from behind, and it took the league two days to tell EJ he might be suspended for his slash. They thought Nielsen was fine, and didn't say **** for two days until they heard he broke his thumb.

Old
02-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Injury = suspension
No injury = no suspension

That LENGTH of the suspension is just a lame excuse. You can't define the LENGTH of something that doesn't exist. If there's no suspension, there's no LENGTH.

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote