HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Wanted List

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Most Wanted List

Which players around the league do you want on our club and think we COULD acquire to improve the team? (let's be realistic here, take into account salary and realistic variables)

And what are you willing to give up to get them?

Here's mine:

Michal Handzus
-he brings SIZE down the middle, and a solid 2-way game

-I'd give up 2 forwards not named Vanek/Drury/Briere/Afinogenov/Roy + a pick if needed.

Daymond Langkow
-he brings veteran leadership, and durability

-I'd give up Kotalik + a pick

Kim Johnnson
-he brings a solid all-around game on defense + durability.

-I'd give up Dumont, Stafford + to land him.

Karel Rachunek
-he brings a right handed shot, and some potential to improve. Nothing spectacular, but a nice fill on the depth chart.

-I'd give up Kotalik or a 3rd round pick.

Old
08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

langkow makes Way too much at 2.4

handzus would be great for size up the middle, but is probably slated to be the flyers' #2 this year, so could be costly

rachunek has committed to playing in russia this year

kim johnnson, yes please, but not sure for what

Old
08-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
langkow makes Way too much at 2.4

handzus would be great for size up the middle, but is probably slated to be the flyers' #2 this year, so could be costly

rachunek has committed to playing in russia this year

kim johnnson, yes please, but not sure for what
Is Langkow really making that much?? even after the rollback? That is way too much at 2.4....thx for the update.

Anyone you got targeted?

Old
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Is Langkow really making that much?? even after the rollback? That is way too much at 2.4....thx for the update.

Anyone you got targeted?
On Langkow's new deal: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...60693-sun.html

I like the Handzus idea, just not sure if I'd give up any two forwards not named "Vanek/Drury/Briere/Afinogenov/Roy". I'd offer a draft pick and a roster throw in like Timmah to start with and work from there.

Johnsson... Signing him to an RFA offer sheet might work too, depending on how much the Flyers really have to work with.

08-08-2005, 10:01 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I'm pretty sure Handzus' value is less than we'd think. I know for a fact I've heard his name in countless trade rumors, and I think considering the return on some of the salary dump trades we've already seen, we might even be able to get him for a 3rd rounder + a mid-level prospect like Thorburn. I also like the idea of getting Rachunek, but I'd definitely want to pass on Langkow. I definitely wouldn't give up more than Stafford/Pyatt/Connolly + 4th or something for Kim Jonsson either.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I've mentioned before being interested in one of Jason Smith or Steve Staios from Edmonton.

Bryce Salvador may be on the move from St. Louis, I think he'd be a nice pickup in the #4,5 spot.

Ken Klee was mentioned, though at a bit of a cost in dollars and of course why help would the Sabres help out Toronto?

Dan Boyle would help out on the PP, improve their transition game.

Derrick Morris is a long-standing fav who likely will not be moved from Phoenix.

Denis Gauthier is another Yote I wouldn't mind seeing in Buffalo... the guy is a tremendous body checker and would give them a presence on the blueline.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:03 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Johnsson... Signing him to an RFA offer sheet might work too, depending on how much the Flyers really have to work with.
Flyer fans are convinced that they are all gonna be signed for 7 million total, also throw in Radivoyavech (sp.)...IMO thats just not possible, with all the D-men makin so much money i can see a team offering him about 3-4 million. I would love to have Johnnson on our team, and I wouldnt mind paying him 4 million...

Old
08-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Flyer fans are convinced that they are all gonna be signed for 7 million total, also throw in Radivoyavech (sp.)...IMO thats just not possible, with all the D-men makin so much money i can see a team offering him about 3-4 million. I would love to have Johnnson on our team, and I wouldnt mind paying him 4 million...
Quote:
Up to $660,000 - No compensation
$660,000 to $1 million - One 3rd round draft pick
$1 to $2 million - One second round pick
$2 to $3 million - One 1st and one 3rd round pick
$3 to $4 million - One 1st, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
$4 to $5 million - Two 1sts, one 2nd and one 3rd round pick
Over $5 million - Four 1st round picks
Just as an FYI.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:07 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
The more I think about it, it'd be awesome to land Handzus. He has the same production as Drury while bringing a BIG BODY PRESENCE (lol) to the team. If we get Handzus we could move Drury and someone else to maybe get Havlat

Old
08-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
The more I think about it, it'd be awesome to land Handzus. He has the same production as Drury while bringing a BIG BODY PRESENCE (lol) to the team. If we get Handzus we could move Drury and someone else to maybe get Havlat
yup, these are the types of things Regier should be considering if he wants to get us in the playoffs...and more importantly for him, keep his job.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:08 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Just as an FYI.
Yikes, 1st 2nd and a 3rd?!?!?!?!?!

The 1st is no big deal cuase we usually have bad luck in the 1st, also adding Johnnson to the team would make us a solid contender imo, but i dunno thats alot for Kim. We prolly could offer that Ottawa for Chara and get him...

Old
08-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Fan-of-#9

At this point we should be targeting teams that are gonna have to make sacrifices in order to keep their team under the salary cap...Philly is definetly on that list of teams.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:10 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

It would eb amazing if we landed bout Zues and Johnnson, they are my favorit players on the Flyers along with Keith.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:13 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Apparently Brendan Witt is looking for a trade out of DC, and McPhee will likely give it to him. McPhee likes to reward his veterans with tickets out of town at their request (see the Battaglia for Konowolchuk trade for reference).

I dunno -- I can see Witt fitting here. We could probably get him for low prospects -- maybe Kriukuv and Novotny.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:18 AM
ajsonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Which players around the league do you want on our club and think we COULD acquire to improve the team? (let's be realistic here, take into account salary and realistic variables)

And what are you willing to give up to get them?

Here's mine:

Michal Handzus
-he brings SIZE down the middle, and a solid 2-way game

-I'd give up 2 forwards not named Vanek/Drury/Briere/Afinogenov/Roy + a pick if needed.

Daymond Langkow
-he brings veteran leadership, and durability

-I'd give up Kotalik + a pick

Kim Johnnson
-he brings a solid all-around game on defense + durability.

-I'd give up Dumont, Stafford + to land him.

Karel Rachunek
-he brings a right handed shot, and some potential to improve. Nothing spectacular, but a nice fill on the depth chart.

-I'd give up Kotalik or a 3rd round pick.
Handzus may be available based on salary and the emergence of Carter and Richards.
Langkow was just acquired last year (hasn't played) to replace Conroy who left as a FA for LA.
Kim Johnson is one of PHIs top guys and even through they signed 3 players on D, I don't think he's available.
Karel Rachunek, as I understand it is committed to playing in Russia this year.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:42 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Apparently Brendan Witt is looking for a trade out of DC, and McPhee will likely give it to him. McPhee likes to reward his veterans with tickets out of town at their request (see the Battaglia for Konowolchuk trade for reference).

I dunno -- I can see Witt fitting here. We could probably get him for low prospects -- maybe Kriukuv and Novotny.
Well, he only made $1.7 mil last year and we've got bodies that can go the other way. I'd prefer a right hander like Salvador, but, having someone the opposition feared on our blueline wouldn't be bad either.

Ta,

Old
08-09-2005, 08:45 AM
joechip

Quote:
I've mentioned before being interested in one of Jason Smith or Steve Staios from Edmonton.
Smith and Staois aren't going anywhere Chain, unfortunately. And, I can't see us offering up anything that would make it worthwhile to the Oilers.

EDM finally has a defense that can compete for a division title, and I don't see Lowe moving either one right now. I wouldn't, not for blood nor money.

Ta,

Old
08-09-2005, 08:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The downside to Witt though is he has gone public wanting to play for a contender, a bonafide Stanley Cup contending team. Does that sound like the Sabres to you?

Old
08-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
Smith and Staois aren't going anywhere Chain, unfortunately. And, I can't see us offering up anything that would make it worthwhile to the Oilers.

EDM finally has a defense that can compete for a division title, and I don't see Lowe moving either one right now. I wouldn't, not for blood nor money.

Ta,
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Looking at the Oils defense:

Pronger
Smith
Semenov
Staios
Ulanov
Bergeron
Cross

They have a need in my opinion to upgrade in goal, at centre (Peca's their default #1), and in checking line guys. Buffalo is swimming in forwards and goaltenders and #6/7 defense types.... It makes sense that they might have to give up something to get something, but either of Staios or Smith could be used to shore up those other areas.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:26 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

I think with Witt or another legitimate defenseman, the Sabres are at least a playoff contender. Witt might like the notion of being the piece to make us a contender.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
i'm glad its not just me who thinks we should shop Drury. The guy is just over rated, and over paid as well. He does not fit our team. On the other hand, he would be a nice fit on a more star studded team like Ottawa or Detroit.

I don't like our chances of Havlat tho. I think our best option with Drury would be to try and move him to Ottawa, get Mike Fisher in return to 'replace' him, and trying to snare a defenceman from them at the same time {most likely Redden}. We'd also send them one of our goalies, and also something else enticing. That would solve all our problems in one go imo, killing 3 birds with one stone if ya like. Not sure Ottawa bites, but they might be forced to, depending on what Hossa, Chara, Spezza etc. cost to resign.

I'm not sold on Hanzus. He's big, and definately has a solid all round game, no doubt. He just doesn't have the spark for me. He also seems kinda soft for a big guy as well.

I'm also not sure about Witt. He would look awesome as our #3 partnering McKee. Theres nobody better for that role. But i don't see him as a legit top pairing guy. Maybe if Numminen played with Kalinin, i dunno. We won't get him anyway.

And Smith/Staios would prob cost too much as well. And again, neither of these guys are legit #1/#2 imo.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
joechip

Quote:
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Looking at the Oils defense:

Pronger
Smith
Semenov
Staios
Ulanov
Bergeron
Cross

They have a need in my opinion to upgrade in goal, at centre (Peca's their default #1), and in checking line guys. Buffalo is swimming in forwards and goaltenders and #6/7 defense types.... It makes sense that they might have to give up something to get something, but either of Staios or Smith could be used to shore up those other areas.
While I hate to argue too much with you on this, Chain, I'm looking at Ulanov and Bergeron as their #6/#7 type guys, with either Cross or Semenov anchoring the bottom pair. Not saying that we don't have plenty of guys they could use for depth [*cough* Campbell *cough*], but unless we're willing to move either Drury or Briere I don't see any of our centers enticing Smith or Staios out of Kevin Lowe.

Are you thinking about a trade involving either of those guys?

Or are you thinking that something like Biron, Connolly and a pick could land us Smith?

Their stable at center is a lot more bare than I remember. Moreau could move to checking center and we could offer up Pyatt instead.

I'm just vamping now....

Ta,

Old
08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
While I hate to argue too much with you on this, Chain, I'm looking at Ulanov and Bergeron as their #6/#7 type guys, with either Cross or Semenov anchoring the bottom pair. Not saying that we don't have plenty of guys they could use for depth [*cough* Campbell *cough*], but unless we're willing to move either Drury or Briere I don't see any of our centers enticing Smith or Staios out of Kevin Lowe.
I wouldn't mind moving Drury. I get what Briere brings, hell I even get what Grier brings... but I don't understand Drury at the cost (Ballard, Rheinprecht, Warrener) nor at the cost ($2.926 million).

Quote:
Are you thinking about a trade involving either of those guys?
Drury yes. Briere not yet.

Quote:
Or are you thinking that something like Biron, Connolly and a pick could land us Smith?
I was thinking Noronen or Connolly and Campbell for Staios actually.

Quote:
Their stable at center is a lot more bare than I remember. Moreau could move to checking center and we could offer up Pyatt instead..
I think they are expecting Horcoff, Stoll and Reasoner to step it up but that's three guys who have question marks for offensive production. Plugging Connolly in is a risk, Drury less so, but they are going to need to upgrade their production IMO.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And Kim Johnsson takes his QO and will be part of next season's likely bumper crop of UFA defensemen.

Old
08-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
i'm glad its not just me who thinks we should shop Drury. The guy is just over rated, and over paid as well. He does not fit our team. On the other hand, he would be a nice fit on a more star studded team like Ottawa or Detroit.

I don't like our chances of Havlat tho. I think our best option with Drury would be to try and move him to Ottawa, get Mike Fisher in return to 'replace' him, and trying to snare a defenceman from them at the same time {most likely Redden}. We'd also send them one of our goalies, and also something else enticing. That would solve all our problems in one go imo, killing 3 birds with one stone if ya like. Not sure Ottawa bites, but they might be forced to, depending on what Hossa, Chara, Spezza etc. cost to resign.

I'm not sold on Hanzus. He's big, and definately has a solid all round game, no doubt. He just doesn't have the spark for me. He also seems kinda soft for a big guy as well.

I'm also not sure about Witt. He would look awesome as our #3 partnering McKee. Theres nobody better for that role. But i don't see him as a legit top pairing guy. Maybe if Numminen played with Kalinin, i dunno. We won't get him anyway.

And Smith/Staios would prob cost too much as well. And again, neither of these guys are legit #1/#2 imo.
Drury is only overrated if you were silly enough to think that he'd put up the type of numbers he put up in Colorado. I thinnk those who see more than what shows up on the stat sheet know he is not overrated. maybe slightly overpaid. I have no problem trading him if the right piece is coming back. but i dont think Regier is shopping him the way he's probably shopping players like Kotalik, Connolly, Pyatt, and the goalies to find a defensemen

As for Hanzus. He's far from soft. and id love to acquire him. doubt it will happen. same for Havlat. Kim Johnson would be another welcome addition.

I still got Dan Boyle at the top of my list.

Closed Thread