HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mariusz Czerkawski? EDIT: Salary restructure.

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
Yes, actually he is.

You can't make a 1 to 1 comparison to Czerkasski's totals and Antropov's totals from the last NHL season.

Cerkwaski is at the tail end of his prime (or arguably past it). Antropov is just about to hit his prime (without even taking into account that players of Antropov's size take longer to develop), not to mention the fact that his development hasn't exactly been smooth sailing (due to injuries) and such.

If you hate Antropov, you're going to despise Czerkawski. Antropov isn't the greatest two-way player, but he actually back-checks and plays defense unlike Czerkawski and he won't cower under physical pressure. Antropov is much less one dimensional than Czerkawski and he hasn't even fully developed yet.

The UFA market still has some decent players, we don't need to sign someone for the sake of signing someone. I.e. The Leafs can be selective or "picky" to a degree.
Ok.. I guess I've been put in my place. I don't watch the Islanders enough to know how "bad" this guy is. But I'll take everyones word for it.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scugs
And Antropov is much better? I honestly hate Antropov with a passion. I don't see the hype about him in everyone.
This is such a bad point. Antropov sucks, but we're stuck with him. Just because we have one bad player doesn't mean we should go out and get another. If you have genital herpes, does it make sense to go out and try to get herpes? Because that's what Czerkawski is, herpes.

Quote:

Every player has their negatives. Czerkawski can't back check. Ok. That's when we need to go after a defensive defenceman and there you go.

At the end of the day this guy can put points up, and yet no one wants him.

The UFA market is thin enough as it is, you can't be picky.
We can't be picky. : You're right. Let's go out and sign Derek King while we're at it.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
If this guy is going to break out, I hope it's soon. I haven't seen any signs indicating that this year is the year though.

I don't know what he did in Russia. Good? Bad? He throws his body around, but also gets hurt alot. He is slow, and his reactions are slow.
He did well in Russia and apparently improved his skating (which looks slower than it is due to his size). Also, for a player that was on a 50 point pace two years ago, and last year, despite injuries was on a 40 point pace, I don't know why so many expect him to blossom much further.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
You are right we do have to make up for that lost offense.

It wouldn't be idiotic to assume that we could expect some improvement from Stajan, Ponikarvosky and yes, even the whipping boy Antropov.

As well, we should probably sign a UFA forward, but Czerkawski isn't it.
To be honest I'm just scouring NHLPA.com for unsigned wingers. I seen Czerkawski, seen his points, and thought "that's not bad".

I'd really like to see a full list of UFA's that are left. From first to worst. What can we plug in from that list, and what can we bring up from the AHL?

Old
08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
We can't be picky. : You're right. Let's go out and sign Derek King while we're at it.
Ok

Old
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
If this guy is going to break out, I hope it's soon. I haven't seen any signs indicating that this year is the year though.

I don't know what he did in Russia. Good? Bad? He throws his body around, but also gets hurt alot. He is slow, and his reactions are slow.
And ? He's always been slow, yet somehow he managed to put up 31 pts in just 62 games last NHL season and 45 in 72 the year before. I'll take that kind of slow from a 6'5", 23-24 (at the time) year old anyday.

Someone posted a comparison the other day, but Antropov's "dissapointing" totals are not so far off from one Henrik Zetterberg, who is crooned over by the HF populus. (And yes, I realize that Henrik is a better skater and he's better defensively, I'm just talking a strict statistical comparison)

Over the last two NHL seasons:
Antropov had 76 pts in 134 games.
Zetterberg had 87 pts in 140 games.

The numbers are very close, despite the fact that Nik had about 3 less minutes of ice-time per game, and about 1.5 less minutes of pp time per game.

You want to be frustrated by Antropov ? Fine, that's understandable. His development has been rocky to say the least. However, I don't see where the claims of him being a horrible player come from.

Old
08-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
However, I don't see where the claims of him being a horrible player come from.
Check under:

Stupid Penalties During Playoffs

But you make strong points. I don't think the smartest thing to do is to let this guy go. But the main reason I was sticking by Czercawski before was because I seen his point totals, yet everyone passed on him without giving a reason.

After it came apparent that this guy was nothing special, I backed off. I still place this guy near the top of my list of possibly UFA's, because you can teach a player to be defensive. It's very diffucult to teach a player to put up a decent amount of points per season.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:08 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Check under:

Stupid Penalties During Playoffs

But you make strong points. I don't think the smartest thing to do is to let this guy go. But the main reason I was sticking by Czercawski before was because I seen his point totals, yet everyone passed on him without giving a reason.

After it came apparent that this guy was nothing special, I backed off. I still place this guy near the top of my list of possibly UFA's, because you can teach a player to be defensive. It's very diffucult to teach a player to put up a decent amount of points per season.
I'll agree that Antropov took quite a few penalties in the last playoff series but I think people blow it way out of proportion.

I don't think you can teach Czerkawski how to play defense, he's 33. He isn't going to get it. Not to mention for an offensive player, his totals in the playoffs are dismal. I understand that his NHL totals are pretty good to solid over the past couple of years, but I'd rather sign Lindros at 1.5 million than take add Czerkawski.(and I hate Eric Lindros. HATE)

Old
08-08-2005, 11:11 PM
Scoogs

So is it the general consensus that after/if we sign Lindros, we are done with UFA's?

Are we looking at trades? Or would that be the lineup we go with? I don't know why I'm asking this because everyone is in the dark like I am.. I'm just saying, is there a better alternative than going with guys like Wilm and/or Ling in our lineup?

Old
08-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Leaf the Lucky

Quote:
Yes, actually he is.

You can't make a 1 to 1 comparison to Czerkasski's totals and Antropov's totals from the last NHL season.

Cerkwaski is at the tail end of his prime (or arguably past it). Antropov is just about to hit his prime (without even taking into account that players of Antropov's size take longer to develop), not to mention the fact that his development hasn't exactly been smooth sailing (due to injuries) and such.

If you hate Antropov, you're going to despise Czerkawski. Antropov isn't the greatest two-way player, but he actually back-checks and plays defense unlike Czerkawski and he won't cower under physical pressure. Antropov is much less one dimensional than Czerkawski and he hasn't even fully developed yet.

The UFA market still has some decent players, we don't need to sign someone for the sake of signing someone. I.e. The Leafs can be selective or "picky" to a degree.

Missed seeing your posts around man. It's been a long time.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:19 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Czerkawski? The virtual definition of the word "soft." Throws snow to avoid hits. Won't go any place on the ice where there is the slightest chance of being hit. Takes nights off. Can't play defense. Completely lacking in grit, drive, and concentration.

I've been watching hockey since the Islanders first season in 1972. I've been an NHL fan a long time, and I've seen a lot of different kind of players in Islander uniforms. In all that time, Czerkawski is my least favorite player. Heck, he is my least favorite player in the history of the NHL.

When he was traded to the Habs, most of Islander fans felt it was addition via subtraction.

Good riddance to you, Chow. The NHL will be a better place without you.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:20 PM
tomerez

I really don't think Czerkawski deserves the heat that he's getting. Though at this point I don't think I would want the Leafs to have him, I think he would be a decent fringe/depth player to fill a roster spot for 450 - 600k. The guy can score and bring excitement to a game, and to be honest I'd take him at 450-600k over Belak at >800k. But then again, Belak fills a roster spot at either forward or defense, which is why he remains a Leaf.

Regardless, Czerkawski can make a decent player for a team if they decide to play him with some decent help and guys who'll make up for the defence he doesn't bother with. Plus he wouldn't be bad in the shootout.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:27 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerez
I really don't think Czerkawski deserves the heat that he's getting. Though at this point I don't think I would want the Leafs to have him, I think he would be a decent fringe/depth player to fill a roster spot for 450 - 600k. The guy can score and bring excitement to a game, and to be honest I'd take him at 450-600k over Belak at >800k. But then again, Belak fills a roster spot at either forward or defense, which is why he remains a Leaf.
Well, Belak is overpaid no doubt but as much as it pains me to say it, I think he'd be more effective (never thought this day would come) as a fourth liner (11th-12th forward) than Czerkawski. That isn't even taking into account the fact that Belak can "play" defense as well.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:28 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
DUDE under the last CBA Montreal signed him as an UFA for about 900,000 and released him during the season

Anything more than 450,000 is a big ripoff

You mouth off that the original poster should "learn more about the NHL before he starts talking" then you post this.

First of all, Montreal did not sign Mariusz Czerkawski as a free agent. They traded a draft pick and grinder Aaron Asham for him. Secondly, the Canadiens paid him over a million dollars. And finally, they did not release him during the season.

So if you plan on being a condescending jerk to a poster who's just putting out an idea by 'correcting him' you might want to have a clue what you are talking about.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
TheBudsForever

He's a career -48 but interestingly was a +8 in the last NHL season played with the Islanders. What I remember about him was the fact that he was a total no show against us in the Islander Leafs series a few years ago. Very soft player in that series who couldn't even spell defence.

I also remember him signing a multi year contract with the Habs for millions a year and then stinking up the joint in the first year. He was so bad for the Habs that they put him on waivers hoping somebody would claim him so they could get rid of his contract. Didn't happen and he ended up playing in the AHL for Montreal's farm team, the Hamilton Bulldogs. They ended up calling him up again but he stunk and they ultimately waived him again and ate his contract rather than take up a roster space on even the farm team.

LOL, the hilarious part was that he led all scorers in the pre-season for points ...Hab fans were braying about what an offensive force they were going to be with him in the lineup. There were going out of their minds about his signing as the season wore on.

Personally, I'd take a pass on him, as I can't easily see him changing his game much. He can put points on the board but he's still likely very soft and a poor defensive player.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
You mouth off that the original poster should "learn more about the NHL before he starts talking" then you post this.

First of all, Montreal did not sign Mariusz Czerkawski as a free agent. They traded a draft pick and grinder Aaron Asham for him. Secondly, the Canadiens paid him over a million dollars. And finally, they did not release him during the season.

So if you plan on being a condescending jerk to a poster who's just putting out an idea by 'correcting him' you might want to have a clue what you are talking about.
Yay for Ferris!

Old
08-08-2005, 11:33 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
So is it the general consensus that after/if we sign Lindros, we are done with UFA's?

Are we looking at trades? Or would that be the lineup we go with? I don't know why I'm asking this because everyone is in the dark like I am.. I'm just saying, is there a better alternative than going with guys like Wilm and/or Ling in our lineup?
Well, let's not count our chickens before...

I'd say the Leafs could hypothetically sign Lindros (and barring injuries, which is a good posibility with Lindros/Allison) have a pretty solid top six.

Ideally speaking I'd prefer the Leafs signed two UFA forwards (depending on the price, and who). That way, we'd have for example

Sundin,O'Neill,Allison,Tucker,Lindros,UFA,Ponikaro vsky,Stajan,Antropov as our top nine - which is more than respectable.

The fourth line can consist of the likes of Kilger (who I believe should be with the club), Wilm, Belak, Kukumberg or whoever surprises from camp.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:36 PM
TheBudsForever

Quote:

Actually, you've jogged my memory and you are correct. Pretty sure that Montreal waived him though with no takers and that he did play for quite awhile with their farm team in Frederickton though.

I'd still pass on him though.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:45 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever
Actually, you've jogged my memory and you are correct. Pretty sure that Montreal waived him though with no takers and that he did play for quite awhile with their farm team in Frederickton though.

I'd still pass on him though.
He was placed on waivers twice. The Habs waived him in midseason because he's the type of player that needs to be on the first two lines or not at all. He went to Hamilton, to his credit, witha good attitude and swore he'd earn his way back up to the big team. After scoring at a point a game pace in the AHL, he did infact return, allegedly with his confidence restored. However, his second stint in Montreal was also uninspired and they did in fact place him on waivers for a second time.

At the end of the season they negotiated a buy out of the remaining year on his contract and he resigned with the Islanders.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Scoogs

Ok good. I thought I was the only one who liked Kilger. He and Domi played well together.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
TheBudsForever

Quote:
He was placed on waivers twice. The Habs waived him in midseason because he's the type of player that needs to be on the first two lines or not at all. He went to Hamilton, to his credit, witha good attitude and swore he'd earn his way back up to the big team. After scoring at a point a game pace in the AHL, he did infact return, allegedly with his confidence restored. However, his second stint in Montreal was also uninspired and they did in fact place him on waivers for a second time.

At the end of the season they negotiated a buy out of the remaining year on his contract and he resigned with the Islanders.
You are 100% correct! LMAO, it's all coming back ... I remember some Hab fans being quite bitter as Asham ended up with more points than Czerkawski that season to boot.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:53 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Ok good. I thought I was the only one who liked Kilger. He and Domi played well together.
Stupid Me. I forgot about Domi. (I wish I could forget about his contract!).

That makes our situation even better, as Domi and Kilger as our #10/11 forwards isn't bad at all.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Scoogs

Quote:
Stupid Me. I forgot about Domi. (I wish I could forget about his contract!).

That makes our situation even better, as Domi and Kilger as our #10/11 forwards isn't bad at all.
Wellwood as the C? We need to give him some exposure, although the 4th line isn't exactly the right place for Wellwood. Not a big guy.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:10 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Wellwood as the C? We need to give him some exposure, although the 4th line isn't exactly the right place for Wellwood. Not a big guy.
It depends on which side of the fence you are on.

One could argue that Wellwood would be better served getting 18 minutes a game in the AHL. Another could argue that Wellwood would learn more and develop more, with even 5-6 minutes of NHL action.

For me personally, I'd like to see how Welly performs in camp.
The guy I'm really interested in (esp. for that fourth line spot) is Kukumberg. All reports indicated that he could potentially step into our lineup, and that he has/had pretty decent potential. That was prior to the lockout though...

Old
08-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
To be honest I'm just scouring NHLPA.com for unsigned wingers. I seen Czerkawski, seen his points, and thought "that's not bad".

I'd really like to see a full list of UFA's that are left. From first to worst. What can we plug in from that list, and what can we bring up from the AHL?
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_whosleft.html

Closed Thread