HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps: Brendan Witt asks to be traded

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Yeah, it's not every year the #1 overall pick goes to a piss-poor team.

thats the funniest freakin thing Ive read all day

Old
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
HockeyCritter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
this is a quote that makes me really shake my head
if he is serious time to move that franchise and save the caps fans a slow long painful death

i feel for ya caps fans i really do

and i dont blame witt for wanting the heck out washington

"Leonsis said the team will continue to lose money, even with a $25 million payroll"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...orts-headlines
The team will lose money regardless of payroll or ticket revenue because of the simple fact that the Caps do not own MCI. The do not collect money from the luxury boxes, parking, or concessions . . . that all goes to Abe Pollin and WSE. Once Leonsis owns MCI and WSE, the Caps will then "make" money.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:54 AM
discostu

I think this is being blown a little out of proportion. Yes, he should not have come out and requested a trade, however, if he did it privately, it wouldn't be long before it becomes public knowledge. Some reporter, in some city, would pick up on a rumour that their team is trying to land Witt, who requested a trade, and the Caps would be in the same position.

Also, I don't see the problem with signing a contract, and then requesting a trade. The alternative (if you are going to request a trade) is to not sign a contract at all, putting your current team further behind the 8-ball. Now, they won't even get your services while they shop you around (this applies to RFA's only, as UFAs could sign whereever they want).

Requesting a trade is a rather sleazy thing to do in general, but is understandable in certain situations. If Witt is unhappy in Washington, and he's eligible for UFA in 2006, as a GM, I would rather he tell me that he's unhappy and that he wants a trade, rather than wait to the summer, where I wouldn't have a chance to either retain him, or trade him.

Like it or not, the new CBA gives players like Witt more leverage to make demands like this. It's one of the downsides to liberalized free agency.

I do agree with others that players should be happy that these teams are putting such high value to their services, however, in our own jobs, we have our own employment preferences. Players will be able to cherry pick where they want to go at an earlier age than before. Teams that don't want to lose those players right when they qualify for UFA without any compensation will get rid of them earlier.

Now, the difference maker will be, which teams will players want to play for. If guys like Witt only want to go to contenders, they may find themselves disappointed. Teams will not be able to stay among the leagues elite for such a long time (i.e. like Detroit, New Jersey and Colorado who have stayed among the cup favourites for about 10 years). If yo wait until a team becomes good before you go there, you may only get a year or two of being on the contender, before they hit their rebuilding phase. Then you either go to the next team, or you stick around and rebuild. A player that only wants to go where other good players are doesn't really show a lot of heart and determination. I'm hoping we see more players like Gelinas, who seems to pick the teams he goes to on the basis of picking good young teams that are on the rise, and that can use his veteran presence. There, they can work towards improving the team over a number of years, and if they do make that team a contender, and win a cup ring, it's much more meaningful than being a mercenary for hire.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original6
I hate players who make trade demands out in public. This totally ties up the GM's hands because now he wont get good value for the player since other GMs now have the upper hand in negotiations. This is just another rock thrown at the Caps.
In some cases yes.....that does not apply here however. Witt is a pending UFA and was not signing with Washington. Anyone who makes it sound like he bled Caps colors in uninformed. He has been a decent player but very up and down the whole time.....he sat out an entire year of hockey in a contract dispute before ever signing with the Caps and almost went back into the draft....talked about quitting hockey then and then later after losing in arbitration talked about quitting again.

as far as not getting value in return.....his asking for a trade doesnt change a thing

Old
08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson
Actually when you live in a city where you have a player who was a dedicated soldier for years and played like a warrior for years(like Witt), you kind of side with the player when the owner tanks the team over financial purposes. (Unless like in Chelios case where you went to our hated rival)
That does not describe Witt....sorry.....

Old
08-09-2005, 10:31 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Poor Kolzig. He just lost one of the few people over the age of 21 on his team he could take out to a victory drink when they win!

Old
08-09-2005, 10:33 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
If Witt had quietly asked McPhee to be traded when he signed his QO, he would have been a very marketable commodity. Going public with a trade demand makes little sense in most instances (even more so in this case), leaking this to the press has damaged Witt's reputation and his market value has taken a beating.

I don't know if going public with his trade demand really lowered his trade value.Most gms and fans will see a vet who wants to win,doesn't want to go thru a major youth movement.

I think the fact that teams are able to sign ufas right now,lowers his trade value.
The time when teams are most likely to get into bidding fights and overpay for a player is at the trade deadline,not during the ufa signing period.

If I'm the Caps,I tell Witt the team will look to move him near the trade deadline or when a team that's hit by injuries,makes a strong offer.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:46 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I don't know if going public with his trade demand really lowered his trade value.Most gms and fans will see a vet who wants to win,doesn't want to go thru a major youth movement.
I agree on Witt's motivation and that many fans/GMS will see it that way. I still think it complicates potential trade negotiations when a player goes public with a trade demand (McPhee will likely have to be more patient for a decent offer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I think the fact that teams are able to sign ufas right now,lowers his trade value. The time when teams are most likely to get into bidding fights and overpay for a player is at the trade deadline,not during the ufa signing period.

If I'm the Caps,I tell Witt the team will look to move him near the trade deadline or when a team that's hit by injuries,makes a strong offer.
I completely agree on how UFA's are affecting the trade market. Which is why I find it puzzling that Witt (or his representation) would go public now??? In terms of player movement and the trade deadline, does that really still apply in the NNHL? If teams are close to the cap, they may not have the space to pick up a player for a playoff run (the flurry of activity that was the hallmark of trade deadlines in the past may be a thing of the past until the GMs get comfortable with the new CBA).

In terms of waiting for potential injuries to drive up demand, that it is a two way street. If Witt goes down and with the minutes he plays it's a possibility you've shot yourself in the foot.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
So what should we do? Is there a number of years after which a player should be expected to go to a contender?

What do you call this? It's a handout, pure and simple. Witt signed a contract and he's got almost two million reasons to be loyal to the Caps and help them win the cup.

I didn't expect the Lightning and Flames to battle it out for the Cup. Those players did it all by themselves and won. Not everybody can win. You don't get a free ride by default.

It's especially funny coming from a good but, all things considered, marginal player like Brendan Witt? Who the **** does he think he is? He's been grossly paid, Washington has attempted but failed to win. Now they are rebuilding and he signed with them.

He's just raised his middle finger to every Washington hockey fan. Something that's so common place few people will even care about it. I think that's sad compared to the kind of players we had 20 years ago. Those kind of stunts, while they existed, were not happening as often as they do today.
Is most of your problem with this that he made it public?

He did state that he'd play his heart out for the Caps if a deal couldn't be reached. So its not like he's pulling a Lindros and saying "Waaaaah I won't play for them".

He's giving management the option of trading him now for an asset that they could have for years as obviously he wont be signing again with the Caps... So really, in this case, he'd be screwing the Caps over more by keeping quiet with no intentions of signing with them next year. So this is a possible win/win. He can be made happy a year earlier and the Caps can get something for just a year of his services (for the caps). If Witt can agree to terms with his would be team, the Caps would even get more for him.

I fully agree, however, that this should have been handled behind closed doors.

Old
08-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Poor Kolzig. He just lost one of the few people over the age of 21 on his team he could take out to a victory drink when they win!
I don't think that's going to be too big of a problem this upcoming season

Old
08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Sniper7

Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
Unless we can get the caps to eat Aaron Miller's contract as part of the exchange, I don;t really want him here. He can take his cup contender or nothing crap attitude and shove it. Very hard to.
I'd rather trade Corvo and a prospect or draft pick and trade Miller for a forward.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
bobo

i would love to see witt as a canuck, but we would have to shed some salary to make room. do the caps need an enforcer? we could send brookbank your way. ruutu, park, bouck, baumgartner or chubarov are probably available. the caps have to sign some players to get up to the minimum cap level so they could take 2 or 3 of these players. i know it 's not much but after reading the other offers it seems about right. i hope we do not offer kesler, king or draft choices.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
bobo

i would love to see witt as a canuck, but we would have to shed some salary to make room. do the caps need an enforcer? we could send brookbank your way. ruutu, park, bouck, baumgartner or chubarov are probably available. the caps have to sign some players to get up to the minimum cap level so they could take 2 or 3 of these players. i know it 's not much but after reading the other offers it seems about right. i hope we do not offer kesler, king or draft choices.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:35 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
For some insane reason that made me laugh ---- just picturing Olie handing out milk and cookies in the locker room after games is pretty funny ----- okay, itís funny to me.

Besides --- Don't we have to win a game first.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo
and unfortunately that won't be enough space to add Witt.

and forget Park in trade ideas... he just signed as a UFA, he isn't going anywhere.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:41 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_the_fan
I am a CAPS fan and getting tired of hearing how bad the franchise is because of the last season hockey was played and the salary dump. Washington always made the playoffs with a hard working team and had decent attendance just to get eliminated mostly by the Pens. Then they traded for Jagr and figured that he would take them to the next level. Instead the team did not make the playoffs. Then they picked up Lang as a FA only to lose to Tampa Bay in the playoffs after being up 2-0. Their payroll was one of the highest in the league. Ownership finally realized you cannot buy the Cup and with a lockout coming traded players for prospects and draft choices. As for the current season the team will not be a playoff contender so why overpay for high end FA. They will put a hard working team on the ice that will only have one way but improve. In three years with good drafting they should start contending for playoffs.
Excellent post!!

I've been a Caps fan since they acquired Langway...actually a couple years before that. The draft notwithstanding (damn you George McPhee!), I like THIS team MUCH MUCH better than the Jagr-led teams. No, they're not gonna make the playoffs the next 3 yrs but they should contend after that as long as a few of the kids develop, which should happen.

Old
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
gocaps8

IafrateWasGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod
Vlad you may aswell stop, they don't get it.

Look Witt has been a pain in the arse ever since he was a rook and held out. The crying over arbitration...the decline in his game...I'm not shocked he wants out. Yeah Witter I'm sure you're going to play your heart out after mailing in the last three seasons.

Don't let the door hit ya.
I could NOT have put it better myself, thank you!

Old
08-09-2005, 03:19 PM
gocaps8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
True. I remember those days. What the hell happened? Did they get new ownership or something?

More like self destruction mode. Have they done anything to improve their team at all? The caps have been one of the worse teams in the league the last few seasons, and it just seems to me that the ownership doesn't really give a *****.

Washington is a deadbeat organization.

I feel sorry for anyone that is a caps fan. You deserve better.
Coach Cassidy killed the will and the sprit of the team

Old
08-09-2005, 03:58 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocaps34
Coach Cassidy killed the will and the sprit of the team
It was long dead before Cassidy ever set foot in Washington.

Closed Thread