Swedish Top 100

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 01:33 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

vCash: 500
Swedish Top 100

Nice job on the Top 100, folks! I must admit, I was somewhat surprised that Jonas Nordqvist didn't challenge for a spot in the top 10, and was particularly surprised to see Yared Hagos fall out of the top 20... your thoughts on those two players?

Old
10-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Salming

I thought that Hagos would move up. Especially since his great rookie camp and start of the SEL season. BUT, he's a future 3rd liner and he needs to show more offensively to be a really interesting prospect. He could turn out to be Manny Malhotra II.

I'm worried about Sjöström and Johansson, though. I really think that they moved too early. And they haven't really excelled in training camp. Posting decent numbers in WHL is one thing... the NHL is a whole different ball game. I wouldn't rank them that high, but I'm a simple hockey plebian while list makers are prospect Gurus, such as for instance Predatore.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones
Nice job on the Top 100, folks! I must admit, I was somewhat surprised that Jonas Nordqvist didn't challenge for a spot in the top 10, and was particularly surprised to see Yared Hagos fall out of the top 20... your thoughts on those two players?
Nordquist is a talented player no question about that. But he is born 1982 and so far he hasn't shown that much of his potential, while there are many players in front of him, younger, that have already displayed a lot more skills,talent and readiness.

Yared Hagos is a much safer pick IMO. The kid is very all-round, great work-ethics, great attitude etc. I don't see him becoming a high-scoring player in the future ... more of a role player.

If I would divide the list I'd say that the ones ranked
#1-#10 = sure NHLers
#11-#20 = most likely NHLers
#21-#40 = good shot at the NHL, likely not more than 3rd-line players
#41-#60 = NHL potential, still a lot of work
#61-#80 = Unlikely that they'll reach the NHL
#81-#100 = true long-shots

Old
10-01-2003, 07:06 PM
speeds

I guess he's not considered a Swedish prospect, but where would Joukov slot in if he were considered eligible for this list?

thanks.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Predatore

I can't say 100% sure, because we were a couple of guys that compiled this list.. but on my personal top 100 Joukov would have been around 15, 16 perhaps.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Dr GLU

The concerns about Lundqvist's skating and conditioning are big enough to drop him out of the Top 10 after last year? That's disappointing.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Predatore

The two aspects are a factor, but another reason is that there are several new prospects on the list (Robert Nilsson, Loui Eriksson).. as well as guys that have showed great progress.. like Lars Jonsson and moved up quite a bit.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Salming

If I were a GM I'd rather have Steen than Nilsson in my organization

Old
10-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salming
If I were a GM I'd rather have Steen than Nilsson in my organization
I agree. You know what you are going to get with Steen, Nilsson is a bigger risk.. although he has a bigger upside than Steen.

btw, seems Robert is struggling quite a bit right now.. playing on the 4th-line and being scoreless after 4 games...

Old
10-04-2003, 12:36 PM
Starsdude

Lunqvist, Loui erickson

Why is Lundqvist off to such a slow start? IS Erikkson getting any ice time?

Old
10-04-2003, 04:10 PM
Predatore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Why is Lundqvist off to such a slow start? IS Erikkson getting any ice time?
as for Lundqvist... I don't know why he is struggling. He had a minor injury before I believe and perhaps that is bothering him a bit.. although he is healthy now. On the other hand the whole team has struggled lately ... and looking at other prospects in the league there are many that have had slow starts (Pär Bäcker, Robert Nilsson, Mattias Wennerberg etc etc).

Loui Eriksson plays on the 4th-line and gets ice-time. I have a feeling he'll score his first sel point soon.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Perhaps more prospects should sign with Djurgården, Salmonsson got to play with Linkan and Johansson today

I think it's just a coinsidence that some high end prospects have started a bit slow, on the other hand players like Nordgren, Kahnberg and Steen have looked great.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Predatore

yes indeed. I wonder however if it wouldn't be for the better if Pär Bäcker played for another team. He is the 4th-line center in Färjestad... that's no good for a young player that is more or less a regular with the Swedish national team.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:31 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Yeah he would be a top 2 line center on at least 8 other teams. I wish there were more player movement in the SEL, spread the wealth and increase competition, everbody wins! (Except teams who build on players from a nearby hockey gymnasium, no names mentioned..hehe)

Old
10-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Can anyone give me some information on Stefan Blom? I think he was drafted by the Red Wings in 2003 Entry Draft. Any info would be appreciated.

Old
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Predatore

not much to say really.
Blom is probably the #1 or #2 defenseman on Djurgården's U20-team. He played some preseason games with the senior team and did pretty well from what I gather.

He has been described as a solid defenseman with no major strengths or weaknesses.
If he plays well in the junior league this season I guess he can get a shot with Djurgården in the SEL next season.. although it is perhaps more likely that he'll be playing for a 2nd-tier league team on loan.

Old
10-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Murmansk16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatore
yes indeed. I wonder however if it wouldn't be for the better if Pär Bäcker played for another team. He is the 4th-line center in Färjestad... that's no good for a young player that is more or less a regular with the Swedish national team.
The Wings should have just brought Par Backer over to play in Grand Rapids with Kronwall this season. It's discouraging to see him languishing in obscurity on the fourth line. It's like he's been exiled to Siberia. The Wings could use a center with his size and two way game.

How would you compare Backer to Jari Tolsa, who gets a lot more points? Is it just more icetime and better linemates for Tolsa? Or is Tolsa better offensively?

Old
10-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Predatore

Bäcker is the better prospect and is more gifted offensively. The difference right now is that Tolsa is playing with great linemates on the 2nd-line while Bäcker is playing with "poor" linemates (in terms of scoring) on the fourth line.

Tolsa has however been looking really good so far in the SEL, I must say.

Old
10-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Zoran Manojlovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmansk16
The Wings should have just brought Par Backer over to play in Grand Rapids with Kronwall this season. It's discouraging to see him languishing in obscurity on the fourth line. It's like he's been exiled to Siberia. The Wings could use a center with his size and two way game.

How would you compare Backer to Jari Tolsa, who gets a lot more points? Is it just more icetime and better linemates for Tolsa? Or is Tolsa better offensively?
I´ve read on some of the boards that Bäcker should come over and that he is ready for a role on the 3rd line and so on. I must say that those people are very badly informed. Bäcker is not even close to be comming over, not even to play in the AHL. His skating and physical aspects of the game need to improve a ton if he´s ever to play in the NHL. He has atleast another two years in Sweden before he can think of north america!

Tolsa on the other hand is ready for the AHL where he could spend a season and than take on a job as a 3rd/4th line checker with the Wings. I belive that he´ll be signed after this season.

Tolsa is a much better two-way player than Bäcker. He has better playmaking skills, hockey sense, physics, skating and shooting skills.

Closed Thread