HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plans to move Jagr in the near future?

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Plans to move Jagr in the near future?

Just thinking about the potential UFA's next year, our situation with Jagr, and the length of contracts of our players. If the NYR had plans on keeping Jagr, why would they sign the guys he suggested for one year? Wouldn't he just be unhappy if the NYR don't re-up them next year as well? I guess you could say that those guys would be easy to contract again, and that they wouldn't take a risk of a longer contract for a guy that may break down(Straka). But I want to think we are planning on moving him.

Also, do think thiis team looks to move him? Do you want them to? He's locked up until 2007 atleast and there's either a team or player option on the last(2008). A team like BUF/FLA could add his 1.2 mil at the deadline this year + 8.4 mil for 2006/2007. What does everyone say about a Thomas Vanek?

Old
08-09-2005, 08:40 AM
bubba5

There won't be as many good URFA next year a people think, teams will lock these players up like Calgary did with Iginla.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Profet

They better look at moving him...

With half his salary being paid by washington he is going to be a very rare situation. A super star forward with a 2nd liner's salary. We should be able to get a good number of picks/prospect which could incredibly change our rebuilding infrastructure for the better...

Imagine trading Jagr for 3 first rounders? I could see it happening at the trade deadline.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:06 AM
DarthSather99

I don't see us getting 3 first rounders for Jagr. Look at we traded to get him...basically nothing. Although his salary is more attractive look at the trades that have happened. Not much coming back for a great player. I think we can get a 1st rounder and a good prospect for him. That'll be about it, but we'll take it.

He will be traded in the future.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I don't see us getting 3 first rounders for Jagr. Look at we traded to get him...basically nothing. Although his salary is more attractive look at the trades that have happened. Not much coming back for a great player. I think we can get a 1st rounder and a good prospect for him. That'll be about it, but we'll take it.

ok, maybe 3 is exagerating, but I don't think i'm far off.

When we traded for him, the league was in a very different situation. We were the only team willing to take on his salary in the uncertain economic situation. No one was sure whether there would be a cap, or if the cap would include his total salary or only the salary being paid by the team.

Like I said, Jagr's contract situation will be rare, hopefully Sather/Maloney can capitalize on it. One thing you can't fault sather on was his ability to get quality for our vets at the deadline.

Old
08-09-2005, 10:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Jagr was making 12M when he was traded. He will have fewer years and less money coming to him now.

Old
08-09-2005, 01:47 PM
broadwayblue

i could definitely see a team dealing 2 first round picks for him at the trade deadline. it would have to be a team that was only 1 piece away from being a contender. as others have said, this is a once in a CBA lifetime opportunity to get a top player for very reasonable money. and it wouldn't be a short term rental as they would still have his services for the next two seasons as well. if we can't get 2 firsts, we should be able to get at least 1 first and several decent prospects. i'm all for moving him.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:35 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
One thing you can't fault sather on was his ability to get quality for our vets at the deadline.

I never bashed Sather on his ability to trade. He's one of the best. He's hard headed and usually asks for more than a player is worth. He usually gets his asking price. What he got for Malakhov was the theft of the century.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Laches

I'd keep Jags for now, let's see what we can get for him at the deadline.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Taz

^

Old
08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

I keep on saying it... the rangers should trade their older skill guys to older teams who are desperate to win now and are willing to sacrifice some of their future.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Entrancemperium

2 first round picks for Jagr?

I LOVE IT!

Send him packing at the deadline! And the send rucínksy and Straka aswell.

On a side note, I think that we will end up in the bottom this year but there is a side of me that thinks that maybe just maybe we'll get to the playoffs since we got alot of enthusiasm this year, I'm referring to the young players and Jagr having a good year with his buddies Straka and Rucinsky.

Worst case scenario, we end up picking out of the top five in the draft.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:49 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
One thing you can't fault sather on was his ability to get quality for our vets at the deadline.
Who did he get that you know will be a better than average NHL player? I don't say there aren't any but I don't see any guarantees out there.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
chosen

Quote:
I never bashed Sather on his ability to trade. He's one of the best. He's hard headed and usually asks for more than a player is worth. He usually gets his asking price. What he got for Malakhov was the theft of the century.
Poti-York

York is the model for what we want Rangers to be now. Poti is the anti-model.

Terms like "The theft of the century" should be reserved for deals like Hasek being dealt from Chicago, Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge, Cam Neely to the Bruins.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
Who did he get that you know will be a better than average NHL player? I don't say there aren't any but I don't see any guarantees out there.

Thats a pretty brutal comparison...

The key here is that Sather dumped nothing... and got draft picks/B level prospects.

When a team is guaranteed to not make the playoffs... then aging UFA's to be...are nothing. They can't do anything for the team. Sather def turned that around.

Closed Thread