HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olympic Hockey Thread Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2014, 09:18 AM
  #651
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Hagelin will probably just throw on a bubble and be fine.

I'm excited to watch the Czechs and Slovaks go at it tomorrow, should be a good game. I'm not concerned about either of those teams for the US. Switzerland has me sweating for Canada though. Flashbacks of Darth Gerber in 2006

McDonagh is online now  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:21 AM
  #652
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Personally it wouldn't bother me at all if the NHL pulled out of the Olympics after this year. I'm sure the players wouldn't be happy about it but even so…You want your players in--they want in then be prepared to pay the price if one or more come back hurt and not 100%. A major injury to Lundqvist would be catastrophic to the Rangers this year. Zuccarello, Stepan, Nash, McDonagh would have a huge effect as well--Callahan and Hagelin less so. The IIHF is not paying the players a dime--in the case of those players playing for NHL teams--their NHL teams are paying the players and taking all the risk for a championship that has nothing to do with the NHL. It's a little bizarre to me.
I'm with you there. I'd like to see the World Cup in it's place or whatever RangerBoy posted about a while back. Especially if they kept it in North America.

McDonagh is online now  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:29 AM
  #653
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
This is one of the many reasons women hockey is a joke.
Because one team is better than the other?

__________________
Raspewtin is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:39 AM
  #654
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,565
vCash: 500
I get what you're saying eco's as an NHL fan.

But I personally love the fact that these guys are not only not getting paid, but in some cases risking big money (Callahan) by giving their all in this tourney. It's all about the game and national pride. I really enjoy that aspect.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:41 AM
  #655
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,673
vCash: 500
Oh my goodness. The goal was a lucky bounce, but that 3 on 3 rush by the USA Women's team just now for the sixth goal was absolutely beautiful.

silverfish is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:46 AM
  #656
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,034
vCash: 69
Final shots: 70-9

__________________

Aufheben is online now  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:52 AM
  #657
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I get what you're saying eco's as an NHL fan.

But I personally love the fact that these guys are not only not getting paid, but in some cases risking big money (Callahan) by giving their all in this tourney. It's all about the game and national pride. I really enjoy that aspect.
National pride? They could do a 4 year hitch in the service. I did.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:54 AM
  #658
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
National pride? They could do a 4 year hitch in the service. I did.
Much respect, and obviously it's on a different level than that.

HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 09:56 AM
  #659
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
Jagr was injured during the Winter Classic in Philly. Said his groins didn't approve of the cold weather. Was afraid of being hurt this last outdoor game too.

Should we shut down the out door games too? A lot of teams has also had WC back lashes. How about the European starts? Unfair and injury risk.

It's just stupid and shortsighted for the NHL to not participate in the OGs. It's free world stage publicity.

The NHL doesn't get paid for lending it's players to the OG? The money from the OG goes to each federation that develops these players. How much does the NHL pay the clubs that are developing their players? Nothing. They are funded by others. They he world class talents for free.

Doesn't matter, financially it's just stupid and short sighted not to go.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:02 AM
  #660
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jagr was injured during the Winter Classic in Philly. Said his groins didn't approve of the cold weather. Was afraid of being hurt this last outdoor game too.

Should we shut down the out door games too? A lot of teams has also had WC back lashes. How about the European starts? Unfair and injury risk.

It's just stupid and shortsighted for the NHL to not participate in the OGs. It's free world stage publicity.

The NHL doesn't get paid for lending it's players to the OG? The money from the OG goes to each federation that develops these players. How much does the NHL pay the clubs that are developing their players? Nothing. They are funded by others. They he world class talents for free.

Doesn't matter, financially it's just stupid and short sighted not to go.
Yeah it would absolutely be stupid for them to not go. Would hurt the sport tremendously since it would be highly unlikely USA or Canada would medal icing minor league teams below the AHL level. It wouldn't help in growing the sport at all.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
  #661
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
I love that the Canada Cup is an option but the Olympic is hell and will ruin the sport. Some are just stupid.

Players can't be hurt during the Canada Cup or what lol? What is the benfit? You do not have to shut down the league for 10-14 days? Well there is also no gain since nobody cares about a tournament played in Canada during the summer.

The Olympics is the Olympics. The KHL is expanding in Asia. Give it 20 years and they got a hockey interest too, it's not starting from scratch, it's been building up for a while. Slovenia got going in a hurry.

The NHL can opt to get the exposure from the OGs or they can opt to not get it. Try to get it right.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:08 AM
  #662
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jagr was injured during the Winter Classic in Philly. Said his groins didn't approve of the cold weather. Was afraid of being hurt this last outdoor game too.

Should we shut down the out door games too? A lot of teams has also had WC back lashes. How about the European starts? Unfair and injury risk.

It's just stupid and shortsighted for the NHL to not participate in the OGs. It's free world stage publicity.

The NHL doesn't get paid for lending it's players to the OG? The money from the OG goes to each federation that develops these players. How much does the NHL pay the clubs that are developing their players? Nothing. They are funded by others. They he world class talents for free.

Doesn't matter, financially it's just stupid and short sighted not to go.
The only people who seem to feel strongly about it is the European fans. The olympics just dont hold the same level of importance to north Americans. We have the best leagues here for the sports that North Americans care about.

I really question folks who say this is important or good hockey. Out side the top 4 teams the others are made up of a mix of players who couldnt crack an NHL lineup and older former stars if they are lucky. So for Sweden, USA, Canada and maybe Russia it is the best NHLers who are from those countries. Everyone else is fodder.

NYRKindms is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:11 AM
  #663
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
I disagree with the Olympics not holding value to North Americans.

I think there are a ton of casual fans of the game who would prefer watching the Olympics to the nhl any day.

slipknottin is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:18 AM
  #664
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I disagree with the Olympics not holding value to North Americans.

I think there are a ton of casual fans of the game who would prefer watching the Olympics to the nhl any day.
I didnt say no value I said importance. There is a difference

I think the Olympic hockey does pick up the casual fan because it is one of the few sports in the olympics not based on style points. It is one of the few sports in the Winter Olympics that a sports fan could watch and figure out what the hell is going on

But to the casual fan a country playing a country is more important than a regular season game to determine seating for the real tourney so sure. But the hockey is going to be better in the NHL as the players on the whole are more talented and just better. For fans of Sweden, USA Canada and Russia we get to see which country comes out on top and an argument can be made that those were the best the countries have to offer at that sport but it really is just a 4 or 5 country tourney

NYRKindms is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:18 AM
  #665
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
NYRKindms- Yeah, because you don't seem to understand how fragile the interest of hockey is outside NA and maybe Finland.

Sweden drew a 5k crowd for the WCHs on home ice two seasons ago. HFD atmosphere. Nobody cared. The last Canada Cup? No viewings anywhere. Hockey is big in a few small city's here.

I work in STHLM, there is zero hockey interest here. I talked with a collegue this morning. He saw the US play Russia. His comment was literary "hockey can be so damn fun to watch". First hockey game he had seen in several years. He is young and interested in sports. It's the same in all European countries cept Finland and to a big extent Switzerland. Soccer is kicking ass and then some.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:18 AM
  #666
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,868
vCash: 500
The next winter Olympics are in South Korea. 13 hour time difference. Its bad enough the gold medal game will be played at 7:30 in the morning on Sunday. World Cup of hockey. Bill Daly said the NHL will make a decision this summer on the next Olympics. The NHL and the PA have discussed the World Cup. They need a decision on the Olympics to prepare for the World Cup. They get the money from that event. If Lundqvist suffered a torn ACL this morning it would not have been a nothing incident. The media likes the Olympics because they get a free trip to cover hockey and get away from their spouses for three weeks. They spend the night at the bar with their hockey writing friends for three weeks.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
  #667
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,909
vCash: 500
So, do injuries not happen in the NHL?

Do players only get hurt at the Olympics?

__________________
Krampus is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:30 AM
  #668
NYRKindms
Registered User
 
NYRKindms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
NYRKindms- Yeah, because you don't seem to understand how fragile the interest of hockey is outside NA and maybe Finland.

Sweden drew a 5k crowd for the WCHs on home ice two seasons ago. HFD atmosphere. Nobody cared. The last Canada Cup? No viewings anywhere. Hockey is big in a few small city's here.

I work in STHLM, there is zero hockey interest here. I talked with a collegue this morning. He saw the US play Russia. His comment was literary "hockey can be so damn fun to watch". First hockey game he had seen in several years. He is young and interested in sports. It's the same in all European countries cept Finland and to a big extent Switzerland. Soccer is kicking ass and then some.
Its not that I dont understand about the fragility of Hockey interest outside of NA, I just don't care. I'm sure the same is felt by the Scandinavian countries when it comes to the US's interest in cross country skiiing or whatever.

And if your buddy got excited about USA v Russia then I am going to guess he got worked up over the geo-political back story because the hockey was just OK. It was a fairly boring game 5v5

NYRKindms is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 10:31 AM
  #669
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Much respect, and obviously it's on a different level than that.
Seriously--the ones that are playing I want to see do well. I don't want to see them come back banged up. Zuccarello is the key guy on his line and IMO the Rangers best forward this year. Hagelin is thin enough without needing to eat milkshakes through a straw for the next month or so and playing with a full cage because he has a broken jaw?--if that's what he has.

As far as waving the flag--I'm really cold to that whole idea. I did my 4 years more or less because the economy had tanked back then and I needed another job. I needed to see something else besides my own home town. There was nothing particularly special about it. I'm an American with a small a--not a god fearing, flag waving, make as much as you can and to hell with everyone else capitalist. I am a huge Rangers fan even so going back to the 71-72 season. Maybe that's part of my problem. I grew up seeing our college and junior kids playing in the Olympics. Back then just the idea of a North American professional hockey player playing in the Olympics was anathema. The Olympic committee back then would break out the garlic and the crucifixes just at the hint that something like that was in the offing. How things change and $ has a lot to do with why things change.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:00 AM
  #670
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The next winter Olympics are in South Korea. 13 hour time difference. Its bad enough the gold medal game will be played at 7:30 in the morning on Sunday. World Cup of hockey. Bill Daly said the NHL will make a decision this summer on the next Olympics. The NHL and the PA have discussed the World Cup. They need a decision on the Olympics to prepare for the World Cup. They get the money from that event. If Lundqvist suffered a torn ACL this morning it would not have been a nothing incident. The media likes the Olympics because they get a free trip to cover hockey and get away from their spouses for three weeks. They spend the night at the bar with their hockey writing friends for three weeks.
Best solution for the NHL would be to add Hockey to the summer Olympics. No NHL players would hurt the Olympics AND the NHL. Summer is the solution - it's played indoors anyway.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:02 AM
  #671
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
I definitely understand die hard fans being against the OGs. I don't care that much myself and would much rather watch the NYR.

But for the NHL it's shortsighted not to go. There is the interview with Daly at TSN.ca. The argument he makes are really short sighted. They want 100% of the gate and TV money which you get with the Canada Cup. But that's all they get from that tournament. You can still do the CC every 4th year and the OG every 4th year.

The NHL shuts down 2.5 days on avg per year to participate in the OGs.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:10 AM
  #672
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
Its not that I dont understand about the fragility of Hockey interest outside of NA, I just don't care. I'm sure the same is felt by the Scandinavian countries when it comes to the US's interest in cross country skiiing or whatever.

And if your buddy got excited about USA v Russia then I am going to guess he got worked up over the geo-political back story because the hockey was just OK. It was a fairly boring game 5v5
But the NHL should care. I definitely understand I you don't care.

But a significant portion of the talent in the NHL don't come from NA and it's a big market for the NHL.

I would understand if the NFL had little interest in tryin to grow and sat back and looked 6 month ahead.

I just don't think the NHL is in that position.

Believe me, it's just much more rewarding to watch a sport that is doing well or at least surviving.

Ola is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:17 AM
  #673
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Because one team is better than the other?
Because in Men's hockey you don't get this disparity between any team and there are only 2 good teams in women's hockey. Not to mention that the quality of play is a joke in general.

SnowblindNYR is online now  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:19 AM
  #674
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
It's being widely reported that after EK crased Henrik he got in Henrik's face and said "Tell Boyle I said 'Hi'." It's even on espn and yahoo.com's main page. Big stuff and all these big sites are redirecting to HFboards too.
I can't find this quote being reported anywhere on any of the articles I just read about the incident.

If you are going to post something like this, please cite your references.

__________________

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is offline  
Old
02-17-2014, 11:22 AM
  #675
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
NYRKindms- Yeah, because you don't seem to understand how fragile the interest of hockey is outside NA and maybe Finland.

Sweden drew a 5k crowd for the WCHs on home ice two seasons ago. HFD atmosphere. Nobody cared. The last Canada Cup? No viewings anywhere. Hockey is big in a few small city's here.

I work in STHLM, there is zero hockey interest here. I talked with a collegue this morning. He saw the US play Russia. His comment was literary "hockey can be so damn fun to watch". First hockey game he had seen in several years. He is young and interested in sports. It's the same in all European countries cept Finland and to a big extent Switzerland. Soccer is kicking ass and then some.
Sounds like baseball, and football vs hockey here in America.

Hockey is a niche sport, a growing one, but still ranked pretty far behind football and baseball.

Ail is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.