HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Didn't say that, just said that it's not just Canada that has tough games ahead of them. Of course I worry about Canada playing the Swiss, all teams should worry when it comes to the Quarters because a loss and your out. Some people here make it sound like Canada won't get past the Swiss and I say they will. We as Canadians aren't half as arrogant as the US it's mostly confidence not arrogance. Mediocre or not we have the same amount of Pts as the US and that's what counts right now. Canada was 1-1-1 in Vancouver and we still won the Gold, we just don't give up, it's our sport.
You basically did. No one is making it sound like Canada has no chance to make it through the Swiss but they're not a cakewalk. Switzerland BEAT the Czech Republic. Yet they're more dangerous to the United States? The United States could lose to the Czech's. No American fans that I see are arrogant. We think that we have a good team but we don't act as if we're gods gift to the hockey world. We don't think that we're entitled to anything. As it stands now the United States are the #2 seed and the Canadians are the #3.

It isn't YOUR sport. That is the arrogance we're talking about. It's the WORLD's sport.

I look forward to the potential game in the semifinals and may the best team win if it comes to that.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
flyershockey

Lol, hockey is OUR game. Then you complain about American arrogance. Give your head a shake, my man.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:23 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Because they're gods gift to earth. No one could ever beat them.
don't act like American fans are innocent

there's a big bunch of you that think the same way

If American ends up losing, most will just say "Oh, we don't care. it's only hockey"

But if you end up winning, we'll never hear the end of it

Remember in 2010, when the US beat Canada in the prelims? Everyone was acting like you had already won the gold medal.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:25 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

If American ends up losing, most will just say "Oh, we don't care. it's only hockey"

Most Americans won't care if we win anyway.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:26 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
You basically did. No one is making it sound like Canada has no chance to make it through the Swiss but they're not a cakewalk. Switzerland BEAT the Czech Republic. Yet they're more dangerous to the United States? The United States could lose to the Czech's. No American fans that I see are arrogant. We think that we have a good team but we don't act as if we're gods gift to the hockey world. We don't think that we're entitled to anything. As it stands now the United States are the #2 seed and the Canadians are the #3.

It isn't YOUR sport. That is the arrogance we're talking about. It's the WORLD's sport.

I look forward to the potential game in the semifinals and may the best team win if it comes to that.
Why can't we claim it's our game?

If that's considered arrogance, then American's calling Baseball their game is also arrogant

Old
02-17-2014, 11:27 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Most Americans won't care if we win anyway.
I was only taking actual Americans that are fans of the game into consideration

However, there will be a lot of non-fans that will gloat if they end up winning

Old
02-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Didn't say that, just said that it's not just Canada that has tough games ahead of them. Of course I worry about Canada playing the Swiss, all teams should worry when it comes to the Quarters because a loss and your out. Some people here make it sound like Canada won't get past the Swiss and I say they will. We as Canadians aren't half as arrogant as the US it's mostly confidence not arrogance. Mediocre or not we have the same amount of Pts as the US and that's what counts right now. Canada was 1-1-1 in Vancouver and we still won the Gold, we just don't give up, it's our sport.
Different landscape, different ice. I don't think Canada has ever won gold on international ice.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:

If that's considered arrogance, then American's calling Baseball their game is also arrogant
haha you guys remind me of children fighting

"No! its mine! mine mine mine! you cant have any!"

Old
02-17-2014, 11:29 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
haha you guys remind me of children fighting

"No! its mine! mine mine mine! you cant have any!"
all I'm saying is there's no difference between the claims

Old
02-17-2014, 11:30 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

Americans consider baseball an American past time, not America's game. There's a difference. If any sport is America's game, it's football. At least only one other country in the world plays that.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:32 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Lol, hockey is OUR game. Then you complain about American arrogance. Give your head a shake, my man.
It is our game, we created Hockey and we live by it unlike most Americans who could give two #%€!'s if they win or lose. No different than the Americans calling basebal or footballl their game. Not arrogance, confidence there is a difference.

02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
all I'm saying is there's no difference between the claims
I know, I am just being silly.

Wife carrying and cell phone tossing are OUR sports heh

Old
02-17-2014, 11:34 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
It is our game, we created Hockey and we live by it unlike most Americans who could give two #%€!'s if they win or lose. No different than the Americans calling basebal or footballl their game. Not arrogance, confidence there is a difference.
actually, we didn't create it. It was created in the UK

We just perfected it

Old
02-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Most American hockey fans actually DO care about winning and losing, and cherish it just as much as anyone.
Hence why they call themselves hockey fans.

What they dont care about is who invented it...like me. I thank Canada for their contribution, but now we can all enjoy it.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:36 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Americans consider baseball an American past time, not America's game. There's a difference. If any sport is America's game, it's football. At least only one other country in the world plays that.
I've heard plenty of American claim it's their game

Regardless, who cares if Canadians consider hockey their game? I don't know why it bothers Americans so much

Old
02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:

Remember in 2010, when the US beat Canada in the prelims? Everyone was acting like you had already won the gold medal.
Beating Canada in the Prelims was a big deal for United States hockey. We aren't the top dog. Canada is. It was a big moment in the program's history to beat the Canadians on their home ice. It would have been nice to have beaten them in the GMG but it was still a big deal to beat them.

I'll never say that the US fans are innocent but we aren't nearly as bad as the Canadians IMO. You cannot argue the sense of entitlement that a lot of Canadians seem to carry. We haven't had the history to have any sense of entitlement and it's probable that if we did that we'd carry ourselves the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Different landscape, different ice. I don't think Canada has ever won gold on international ice.
Nor has the US.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Salt Lake was Olympic Size ice

Old
02-17-2014, 11:48 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Beating Canada in the Prelims was a big deal for United States hockey. We aren't the top dog. Canada is. It was a big moment in the program's history to beat the Canadians on their home ice. It would have been nice to have beaten them in the GMG but it was still a big deal to beat them.

I'll never say that the US fans are innocent but we aren't nearly as bad as the Canadians IMO. You cannot argue the sense of entitlement that a lot of Canadians seem to carry. We haven't had the history to have any sense of entitlement and it's probable that if we did that we'd carry ourselves the same way.

Nor has the US.
You can say that about EVERY sports fan base. They all have them. Just look at all these NHL fans

Old
02-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Hiesenberg

I think it bugs me that Kunitz is playing for team Canada, and pretty much wasting a roster spot that could be filled with a talented player like St. Louis/Thornton/Giroux.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:57 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
I think it bugs me that Kunitz is playing for team Canada, and pretty much wasting a roster spot that could be filled with a talented player like St. Louis/Thornton/Giroux.
I feel the same way, and it's one of the reasons why I'm not even rooting for my own country in men's hockey

Old
02-17-2014, 11:59 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Bud, don't get me started with the Kunitz crap...he shouldn't be here and Giroux, Hall or Staal could have filled that spot nicely. I don't want to get into that discussion again because on the TC page I was basically called an idiot because I wanted Giroux over Kunitz or St.Louis...which I still don't get because of how skilled G is

Old
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Salt Lake was Olympic Size ice
Salt Lake was hybrid; it was wider than NHL ice, but not quite as wide as international ice.

02-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Teezax

Last edited by Teezax: 02-17-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: missing pic
Old
02-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Bud, don't get me started with the Kunitz crap...he shouldn't be here and Giroux, Hall or Staal could have filled that spot nicely. I don't want to get into that discussion again because on the TC page I was basically called an idiot because I wanted Giroux over Kunitz or St.Louis...which I still don't get because of how skilled G is
You're safe here.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:06 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
You should see what happens when you call out how mediocre Crosby's play has been

Closed Thread