Notices

Are the Avs really better than us?

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Mules
Ouch!

vCash: 500
I think Stars are equal to Avs. Turco is great and it will be interesting game on October 8th

Old
08-18-2005, 12:52 PM
stu the grim reaper

from a wings fan:

mike modano > all but 2 of the avs forwards

the avs will have a hideous record this year
but if by some miracle they manage to make the playoffs
they might beat the stars just bc their scorers are more clutch

and rob blake > zubov

but zubov will have more assists this season

Old
08-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Mizral

No.

I have always respected the Avs, but what they've lost this year is simply too much. Without Foote, you will see a more exposed David Aebischer, and goaltending, my Stars friends, is the Avs achilles heel.

The loss of Forsberg isn't quite as great as it could have been if not for Joe Sakic. Any, and I mean *ANY* team with Joe Sakic has a chance to do a lot of great things. He certainly has a supporting cast, but this is an Avs team with some big depth problems, depth problems they never really have had before.

Will the Avs be buyers mid-season? You betcha. So they will add more.

But right now, I see the Stars as the sole former Western powerhouse that is really going to hang on to their position. Detroit looks like to have finally lost it, not to mention the Central is a lot harder than it's ever been. The Avs have lost Forsberg and Foote - huge peices to any NHL team. The Blues are finished. The Canucks and Stars are probobly the only two that probobly can't do much to get worse next year.

The Canucks didn't do poorly, but the Bertuzzi incident & their dissapointing playoffs with another early exit should be something that their team can get over. Either that or that's probobly it for the days of the Canucks being a big-time team.

The Stars had an off year, in large part due to Mike Modano's poor season. However, Modano is typically a *very* consistant customer, and I would be shocked beyond belief if he was unable to go back to the 75+ point plateau. Maybe near the 100-point plateau if the rule changes allow for a player of his skill to play to his ability. Consider the supporting cast is still practically the exact same up front. Top-end players like Guerin, Lehtinen, Morrow, Arnott - guys who have a lot of history with one another and have proven chemistry with one another.

Really, the only sore spot on the Stars right now is their D, but they also have, in my opinion, one of the top 5, maybe top 3 keepers in the NHL in Marty Turco. This will be Turco's greatest test, but I'm confident he'll succeed.

Overall, I have Dallas winning their division and maybe even the conference next year. I think the Avs will be in-tough to make the playoffs in comparison.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
No.

I have always respected the Avs, but what they've lost this year is simply too much. Without Foote, you will see a more exposed David Aebischer, and goaltending, my Stars friends, is the Avs achilles heel.
Oy! How quickly people forget. Aebischer was the Avs best player last year and kept the team alive when everyone just went into stasis after Valentines Day. He held his spot to keep any deadline trades out of the crease. Even Divalanche flip-flopped on Abby's perfomence, the "problem" instead became Sauve. He thoroughly out performed Turco in the playoffs and wore smaller pads this year to get adjusted.

I'm more worried about the top 6 having production problems. If the checkers can key on the top line and the 2nd doesn't produce that's where we run into trouble.

I fully expect the Avs to make the playoffs this year.

Old
08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
The loss of Forsberg isn't quite as great as it could have been if not for Joe Sakic. Any, and I mean *ANY* team with Joe Sakic has a chance to do a lot of great things. He certainly has a supporting cast, but this is an Avs team with some big depth problems, depth problems they never really have had before.
We wont have depth problems. This is considered one of the most deepest Avs teams in recent history.

Old
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
cstu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
We wont have depth problems. This is considered one of the most deepest Avs teams in recent history.
It doesn't get much deeper than Colorado's bottom 6, but the second line worries me a little. Adding one more top 6 forward would make things look a whole lot better.

Old
08-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
No.

Hilarious. I guess you didn't notice that Aebischer was one of the better netminders last season. Did you not see his stats?

.924 save % reg season
.922 save % playoffs

...and this is bad, is it?

Then again, being a canucks fan, you should know all about goaltending be an achilles heel. Maybe you're right.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Famous Flames

CO lost Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne and Foote replacing them with Turgeon, Brunette, May, LaPeriere and Brisbois and they are a deeper team? Guys, I don't think losing 4 HOFers and replacing them with 1 older borderline HOFer and 4 bit parts qualifies as making a team deeper.

And there's nothing notable about your bottom 6.

I don't know why it is so hard for CO fans to realize their team has most likely gotten a lot worse from last season.

Last edited by Famous Flames: 08-18-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old
08-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Not like Kariya and Sellane did anything for us last year.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:53 PM
starshockeyfan56

Jay pretty much summed up my feelings.

He is one of the few people I see that isn't underestimating the stars chances this year.

This is essentially the same team they had in 02-03 and if it werent for giguere's help from jesus, they would've probably made it to the finals, if not won it.

I just dont see much of a threat from the avs, but I'm sure many of you avs fans feel the same way about the stars, so like everyone else, we will just have to wait for the season to kick in before we get an answer.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

What gets me is that this is a weeker D than the Avs ripped through in the playoffs.

Old
08-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Famous Flames

1. Both were in the Avs top 10 in scoring.
2. You got as much out of them as we got out of your new #2 center.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Paul was 7th and Teemu 9th. Only 16 goals for Teemu. Liles was 2 points short of Kariya and 2 ahead of Paul. He'll I'm sure Svatos can give us 36 points on the 2nd line.

Old
08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Famous Flames

I wouldn't be so sure playing with Turgeon.

But whatever ... You guys can go ahead and plan that Stanley Cup parade if you want.

Old
08-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Turgeon out scored Kariya and Sellane last season as a dud.

Old
08-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Famous Flames

Yes, yes. You've convinced me. Losing Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne and Foote has definitely improved the team. Don't know why LaCroix didn't think of dumping that dead weight earlier. It almost certainly cost the Avs a Cup or two.

Old
08-19-2005, 12:23 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes losing Forsberg and Foote hurt. Turgeon and Brezzy are roster tofu of undetermed quality, but Kariya and Teemu just flat out did not produce last year. Hell Teemu is still on the market for the taking.

Old
08-19-2005, 12:56 AM
starshockeyfan56

im with you hasbro, teemu and kariya did NOTHING near what everyone's expectations were.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

That said they'll probably rebound for 100 point seasons this year.

Old
08-19-2005, 01:07 AM
starshockeyfan56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
That said they'll probably rebound for 100 point seasons this year.
that might be a little bit of wishful thinking

Old
08-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
Yes, yes. You've convinced me. Losing Forsberg, Kariya, Selanne and Foote has definitely improved the team. Don't know why LaCroix didn't think of dumping that dead weight earlier. It almost certainly cost the Avs a Cup or two.
For, Kariya and Selanne, yes, it's a definite improvement - no sarcasm needed.

Actually watch some games from the 2004 season and you will see that Selanne was often benched and Kariya was nowhere to be seen because of injury. Don't get me wrong, they looked great together the first two games of the season but if you think they had All-Star seasons you're sadly mistaken.

But I'm sure that their 27 combined goals will be tough to replace, so you're free to think what you want - go ahead, the Avs will have a tough time to replace them.

Old
08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
Azdinator

Send a message via MSN to Azdinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy
Hilarious. I guess you didn't notice that Aebischer was one of the better netminders last season. Did you not see his stats?

.924 save % reg season
.922 save % playoffs

Then again, being a canucks fan, you should know all about goaltending be an achilles heel. Maybe you're right.
% save dosen't mean so much ... you had better looking at the chance scoring. I mean when you have a defence like the Avs you can play with a guy like Aebischer in the net. put him in a outshoot team like florida and you will see the result.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Famous Flames

Hey, you're preaching to the converted. I now realize that Selanne and Kariya are over the hill liabilities easily replaced by the likes of a dynamo like Brad May, and Turgeon will be rejuvenated simply by the sight of the Pepsi Center. Brisbois = Foote -- at least. And if those guys don't pan out (like that will happen!!), Lacroix can rely on his wealth of top end prospects.

Just let me know when and where the parade is.

Old
08-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy

.924 save % reg season
.922 save % playoffs

Statistics are all well and good, but you should know by now they do not necessarily mean a lot. Roman Cechmanek, by the numbers, was and should still be one of the best goaltenders in the league. However, year in, year out, he proves he's one of the worst.

Old
08-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famous Flames
Hey, you're preaching to the converted. I now realize that Selanne and Kariya are over the hill liabilities easily replaced by the likes of a dynamo like Brad May, and Turgeon will be rejuvenated simply by the sight of the Pepsi Center. Brisbois = Foote -- at least. And if those guys don't pan out (like that will happen!!), Lacroix can rely on his wealth of top end prospects.

Just let me know when and where the parade is.
I didn't see anyone beating down Selanne's door during the start of free agency. Maybe you should be worried that the Stars lost their leading playoff scorer. Anyway leaving Texas is bound to be a boon in anyone's life.

So just to Clarrify:
36 and 32 points=good
.924 Spct., 2.09 GAA 32-19-9=liability?

Closed Thread