HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi's shameful reinstatement

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Lightsol

vCash: 500
Yes, fighting is pointless in hockey...but it's not because the principle is flawed, or because the game would be better off without it. Fighting is pointless now because the reason fighting BECAME part of hockey has been removed. Fighting was left in hockey as a measure of protection against the great players.

For example, do you think Gretzky would have had the room to do what he did with the puck in Edmonton if Dave Semenko hadn't been there? Anyone who took runs at Gretzky would end up facing Semenko later in the game.

However, some brainiac decided that it would be better to punish players who intentionally start fights. Now, for fights that start out of the blue with no reason or logic should result in stiffer penalties, but fights designed to protect the health of the skilled players...that's a totally different story, IMO.

Now, you get guys like Moore (though I don't agree with what Bertuzzi did at all) running around the ice cheap-shotting people, and no one is allowed to do anything about it because they might get an instigator. As a result, you get incidents like this; makes me wonder what might have happened if there were no instigator rule and Bertuzzi could just have grabbed Moore and beat the crap out of him? The results probably wouldn't have been as serious (though I can't say whether that would have been true or not, seeing as I can't see what might have happened).

The instigator rule turns fighting into an afterthought, and that is why fighting doesn't have a place in hockey anymore. It is now a huge joke, a circus that fans seem to wait in anticipation for, but actually has no bearing on the end result of the game. After all, what does Domi vs. Ray 400 have to do with the game of hockey?

Old
08-13-2005, 01:01 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
i'll put brandon sugden up against any boxer in the world on skates. sugden wins 10 out of 10.
He must be a good hugger.

Quote:
there's nothing silly here. there's no personal attack.

you're not stupid. you don't believe a word of what you're saying. i know you're just arguing for the fun of it.

some people here do that a lot.
I'm having fun, but I really do think that fighting is just plain stupid.

Old
08-13-2005, 03:42 AM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Responses to this thread, whether or not I agree with them, have for the most part been defensible and reasonable.

Your ignorant nonsense is, fortunately, the exception. You clearly identify with the criminal and blame the victim. Most civilized folk have moved on from this sort of attitude.

So unless I agree with you, I am criminal...but if I agree with you, than I'm good. What kind of dictator are you?

Just one problem. Who died and made you king?

This is the ruling: BERTUZZI IS BACK! Accept it!

WELCOME BACK TODD!!!

Old
08-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I had been intentionally avoiding reading this thread because I'm not at all interested in reading about the Bertuzzi thing anymore. But now that I see it's turned into a debate about fighting in hockey, I need to put my two cents in.

First of all the issue of fighting in hockey should not even be brought up in a discussion about what Bertuzzi did. That wasn't a fight.

Secondly. I take offense to people acting as though liking a hockey fight is something to be ashamed about. I love fighting in hockey. It's one of the many aspects of hockey I like.

Two of my favourite players on the Leafs are Tomas Kaberle and Wade Belak. What in the world is wrong with that? Both are good at their role and both bring something to the team. But some people seem to think you can't like both Belak and Kaberle at the same time.

Why should I have to choose between "skilled hockey" and fighting? Why am I not allowed to like both? What is "skilled hockey" anyway? Pierre Turgeon is pretty skilled but I find Tie Domi to be a lot more entertaining and exciting to watch than Turgeon.

Fighting has been in the NHL forever. It's part of the game and part of what makes hockey great. There's nothing wrong with that at all.
your best post ever!!!

the anti-fighting crowd need to lose the "holier than thou" attitude. fine if they don't like it, but stop complaining about it and just turn off your tv when there's a fight. or turn off your tv when there's a hockey game on. and don't tell me i have to choose between fighting and skilled hockey.

Old
08-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
He must be a good hugger.
no, he's a terrific fighter. great puncher, smart, strong, great chin. the best in the ahl by a mile. and also a golden gloves boxer i believe.

Quote:
I'm having fun, but I really do think that fighting is just plain stupid.
no, you don't believe that. impossible.

Old
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Augustus

Quote:
its even less complicated than that.

don't change the rules. people who don't like hockey can turn off their tvs.

Among the many stupid things you have said on this board this piece of constructive criticism may stand out for the quality of its stupidity.

I take a blood oath: I shall no longer respond to any of your nonsense on this thread. For the purposes of this thread you are hereby defined (for me) as a non-poster whose posts are invisible to me.

There have been plenty of posts on this thread I have disagreed with but I can see and respect where they are coming from. Your kind of thinking -- at least how you express your thinking -- is not something that I can respect.

Last edited by Augustus: 08-13-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old
08-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
So unless I agree with you, I am criminal...but if I agree with you, than I'm good. What kind of dictator are you?

Just one problem. Who died and made you king?

This is the ruling: BERTUZZI IS BACK! Accept it!

WELCOME BACK TODD!!!

No, I never said you were a criminal. But your compassion and understanding seems to be for the aggressor rather than the victim. That is not a position I can respect in hockey or in life.

Nor am I a king -- just someone who dislikes thuggery and strongly disagrees with anyone who defends it.

Of course I must accept the ruling because, as I am not king, I have no say in the ruling. But I don't have to agree with it, I don't have to like it, and I have full permission to think foul scorn of it and express those opinions. Opinions are just that -- they are not self-evident truths.

Old
08-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
Among the many stupid things you have said on this board this piece of constructive criticism may stand out for the quality of its stupidity.

I take a blood oath: I shall no longer respond to any of your nonsense on this thread. For the purposes of this thread you are hereby defined (for me) as a non-poster whose posts are invisible to me.

There have been plenty of posts on this thread I have disagreed with but I can see and respect where they are coming from. Your kind of thinking -- at least how you express your thinking -- is not something that I can respect.
i'm not surprised you bailed out of this argument. you were losing badly.

in this thread, you told me to watch wrestling and tractor pulls, because i like hockey fights.

i'm just giving you a taste of your own medicine, except my argument makes much more sense. if you don't like fights and don't like hockey, don't watch. that's very sensible and simple. makes a lot more sense than watching it, then complaining about it and wanting it changed.

Closed Thread