Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any new info on Paul Maurice contract discussions

Old
02-15-2014, 06:03 PM
jetsairforce

vCash: 500
Any new info on Paul Maurice contract discussions

Really missing NHL play these days. One thing that I'm wondering about is if there have been any new contract talks to extend Paul Maurice as it was suggested that it might happen during the Olympic break. Thought I'd put it out there to see what people think of how long he should be extended and what that might cost the Jets.

jetsairforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 09:45 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
74 reads and no comments?

Ok, I'd say hold off until the season is over before entering into discussions with Maurice. If the Jets continue at the same pace for the remainder of the season winning at a rate approximating .750 I think we give Maurice the key to the city, Chevy's house, his dog and four years at one billion dollars per year. Cuz baby with that percentage the Cup is coming to Winnipeg!

I like Maurice and he certainly seems to have the players responding, but in the infinite words of the stats nerds - sample size is small thus far. If they continue to respond well under him and even if they just make or miss the playoffs, three year contract is not unreasonable but I'd hope they'd also be looking to see who else might be around.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:26 PM
jetsairforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
74 reads and no comments?

Ok, I'd say hold off until the season is over before entering into discussions with Maurice. If the Jets continue at the same pace for the remainder of the season winning at a rate approximating .750 I think we give Maurice the key to the city, Chevy's house, his dog and four years at one billion dollars per year. Cuz baby with that percentage the Cup is coming to Winnipeg!

I like Maurice and he certainly seems to have the players responding, but in the infinite words of the stats nerds - sample size is small thus far. If they continue to respond well under him and even if they just make or miss the playoffs, three year contract is not unreasonable but I'd hope they'd also be looking to see who else might be around.
I guess people are more into the olympics than I thought.
What concerns me is that if the Jets really like him and want to sign him in the offseason, they may have competition from other teams for his services, especially if they finish the season really strong. I know some people might say that if Maurice likes it here, he would sign here but money talks.

jetsairforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:35 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
I don't think there's a shred of info out there other than the latest 30 thoughts.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:50 AM
SCP Guy

If we make the playoffs keep him... If we don't make the playoffs let him go and bring back Noel next year since we are still paying him anyways lol

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 05:46 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...246391271.html

Quote:
But for all the mutual love, Maurice said today that, by mutual agreement, he’s still had no discussions with the team about a contract extension.

"We had a really, really clear understanding when I took the job about how this would progress — there won’t be a contract discussion until this entire season is over," Maurice told reporters following his team’s practice at MTS Iceplex. "And that was understanding going in that we both wanted...

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Someone post today's media scrum, Maurice explains his contract sitauation.

02-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Gotaf7

The way I read that, is he will be holding out for the best offer. No way we get a crack at him now!

Gotaf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:50 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotaf7 View Post
The way I read that, is he will be holding out for the best offer. No way we get a crack at him now!
I don't think that is necessarily the case. As much as I think he has been a great hire by the Jets and I hope the Jets re-sign him. He is no different then any other coach who gets hired and fired. Maurice has been around the league for quite awhile and fired 3 or 4 times, gone to the KHL to find work and spend time doing TV analysis. He might just feel he is as found a nice spot here, especially if the rest of the season plays out well for the Jets. Its not like he is going to be universally seen as a young Scotty Bowman. A competitive offer from the Jets might be all it takes.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Essentially, he just doesn't want it to overshadow the success of this team during the remainder of the season, but the only way to stop that would be to sign a deal. The impression I get is that he will take the best offer this summer..........he is essentially going UFA, and I am now highly doubtful that he comes back to Winnipeg. Its about as likely as Dineen coaching the womens team.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:20 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I don't think that is necessarily the case. As much as I think he has been a great hire by the Jets and I hope the Jets re-sign him. He is no different then any other coach who gets hired and fired. Maurice has been around the league for quite awhile and fired 3 or 4 times, gone to the KHL to find work and spend time doing TV analysis. He might just feel he is as found a nice spot here, especially if the rest of the season plays out well for the Jets. Its not like he is going to be universally seen as a young Scotty Bowman. A competitive offer from the Jets might be all it takes.
I'm with you here.

I think he just doesn't want to worry about anything other than coaching the team right now. And if he finishes as strong as he started, why would he want to go somewhere else when he's got a team he thinks has a lot of potential and a chance to coach that team? I guess we can assume that everyone is chasing money and another pasture but I don't think he leaves if we give him a decent offer.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:07 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Essentially, he just doesn't want it to overshadow the success of this team during the remainder of the season, but the only way to stop that would be to sign a deal. The impression I get is that he will take the best offer this summer..........he is essentially going UFA, and I am now highly doubtful that he comes back to Winnipeg. Its about as likely as Dineen coaching the womens team.
Yeah because Paul Maurice is the most sought after coach in the NHL. He went more than two season without finding an NHL job. Now suddenly he's gonna play hardball with the one team who gave him a shot in 3 years? Sounds likely.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Bristo

I think PMo is really high on this group and what's possible in the near future. I doubt very seriously that he's going to jump to some other team just for money. I think he sees great potential and knows how to get it out of this group. With him we are literally a player or two from the playoffs, and maybe 3 or 4 players from even winning a series.

Those pieces (goaltender withstanding) might already be in the system. He's getting in at the ground floor and being a part of building something great, and that is worth more than money at this point in his career.

Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
I don't get that feeling at all.

He said that he and Cheveldayoff agreed to no extension talk until after the season.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:59 PM
pateramus

not to try and make a big thing out of nothing, but watched PoMo scrum and a few others.

In watching Kanes, I thought it interesting that when asked who he would be cheering for in Olympics and he said "Weels and those guys". and yet Kane is Canadian. I was surprised, but might be a good thing that he cares for his team mate so much that he will cheer for Wheelers and co. instead of his own country.

pateramus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pateramus View Post
not to try and make a big thing out of nothing, but watched PoMo scrum and a few others.

In watching Kanes, I thought it interesting that when asked who he would be cheering for in Olympics and he said "Weels and those guys". and yet Kane is Canadian. I was surprised, but might be a good thing that he cares for his team mate so much that he will cheer for Wheelers and co. instead of his own country.
Kind of a strange answer. Ah, Wheels and what's-his-nuts over there...etc. lol

Of course Team Canada did commit the Cardinal Sin of not naming Evander Kane to the team...so maybe he's got a bone to pick with them.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Is that a joke? Or is it more Winnipeg hometown self deprecation?

What coaching availability is going to be out there that would be so appealing?

Not only that, but what has Maurice always cited as one of the top reasons he wanted to coach this team? Youth and the ability to improve. We are the NHL's youngest team. No one's going to beat as at that.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 05:37 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
I have a very good feeling that Maurice will sign, for the very reasons that Sweech just stated. Big, fast, young team - the perfect mix for a coach that wants to mould them into what he envisions, and create an identity around those traits.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:41 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I have a very good feeling that Maurice will sign, for the very reasons that Sweech just stated. Big, fast, young team - the perfect mix for a coach that wants to mould them into what he envisions, and create an identity around those traits.
I agree with this. I really don't see an issue with them waiting until the off season.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:10 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I agree with this. I really don't see an issue with them waiting until the off season.
Yea I think there is some overreaction happening.

To recap:

PMo gets a shot with TNSE on a verbal deal with Chevy. It apprears they agree to talk about extensions after the season.

So looking at this from Paul's perspective my guess is he would want to coach in a place that has some good young talent, is financially stable, has the budget to spend to the cap when needed, and be part of an organization that is fair and patient. Paul is smart enough to know he has landed in a great situation and my guess is both sides will quitely get a deal done in the off season like they agreed to.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Yeah because Paul Maurice is the most sought after coach in the NHL. He went more than two season without finding an NHL job. Now suddenly he's gonna play hardball with the one team who gave him a shot in 3 years? Sounds likely.
His stock just went up.

I think this will have plenty to do with whether his family wants to move here.........and money of course. I hope he is back in 14/15, but I stand by my prediction that he won't be.

Old
02-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Is that a joke? Or is it more Winnipeg hometown self deprecation?
I think this is exactly what this is, and it's shameful that some Winnipeggers still feel inferior to the rest of the world. I'm still waiting to hear of a player/coach refuse to come here or want out because they don't like our city. This hyperbole is beyond annoying, especially from our own citizens.

To me, it sounds like Paul is thoroughly enjoying his time here, and I believe he will likely stay, because he loves the city and the people.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
I actually can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
His stock just went up.

I think this will have plenty to do with whether his family wants to move here.........and money of course. I hope he is back in 14/15, but I stand by my prediction that he won't be.
Your prediction is complete nonsense.

Why on earth would you "test the market" as an NHL head coach? Any contact from another team that wants to hire you is blatant tampering. So you're just going to roll the dice and say "jeez, it's great the Jets are offering me a head coaching position, but I think I'll turn down their offer and take my chances with another team hiring me"? Never mind the fact that NHL head coaching contracts are pretty standard from team to team in terms of dollar amounts.

The last coach who did this (sorta) was Mike Keenan back in 1994, when he jumped from the Rangers to the Blues. And he was a) coming off a Stanley Cup win, and b) wanted to go to an organization where he could serve as coach and GM. Even then, it was an incredibly messy situation. The Rangers filed tampering charges against the Blues, and eventually got awarded compensatory players + picks.

If the Jets want Maurice back, he will be our head coach. End of story.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:45 AM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
I think this is exactly what this is, and it's shameful that some Winnipeggers still feel inferior to the rest of the world. I'm still waiting to hear of a player/coach refuse to come here or want out because they don't like our city. This hyperbole is beyond annoying, especially from our own citizens.

To me, it sounds like Paul is thoroughly enjoying his time here, and I believe he will likely stay, because he loves the city and the people.
Exactly. The constant negative talk is silly and really undermines our ability to attract talent. Winnipeg is not inferior. If anyting it hits way above its weight class in nearlly every area that matters.

It is a great mid-size City that will continue to attract people from all over the world. It is up to us to become more comfortable in our skin and allow these newcomers time to recognize that they made the right choice coming here.

My guess is Maurice is pleasently surprised at how well the team is run and the amount of support he will have as an NHL coach.

Show some confidence people.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Channelcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I actually can't believe what I'm reading in this thread.

Your prediction is complete nonsense.

Why on earth would you "test the market" as an NHL head coach? Any contact from another team that wants to hire you is blatant tampering. So you're just going to roll the dice and say "jeez, it's great the Jets are offering me a head coaching position, but I think I'll turn down their offer and take my chances with another team hiring me"? Never mind the fact that NHL head coaching contracts are pretty standard from team to team in terms of dollar amounts.

The last coach who did this (sorta) was Mike Keenan back in 1994, when he jumped from the Rangers to the Blues. And he was a) coming off a Stanley Cup win, and b) wanted to go to an organization where he could serve as coach and GM. Even then, it was an incredibly messy situation. The Rangers filed tampering charges against the Blues, and eventually got awarded compensatory players + picks.

If the Jets want Maurice back, he will be our head coach. End of story.
I hope you're right, but you are ignoring the facts. It is highly unusual for a coach to go into the offseason without a contract intentionally. There are three possibilities here, 1) he is undecided, 2) he knows he wont come back, 3) he definitely wants to come back. If he is already certain he wants to come back, a deal would be done already, because, as you say it is crazy for a coach to turn down a contract. Oly break would have been the perfect time to do it. That leaves 1 and 2.

I think Chevy and Maurice looked at this as an emergency situation and neither (particularly Maurice) was looking to make a long term commitment yet.

In any case I guess we will see come spring.