HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc. part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Cousins27

vCash: 500
Did any1 see the laughton fight last night or have a vid?

Old
03-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

So, if I'm understanding you all correctly, he's guaranteed to carry us to consecutive Stanley Cups, a perennial Vezina candidate, and a lock to be a Hall of Famer? That's fine, but don't you think we should try to trade him for a couple centers?

Old
03-04-2014, 08:37 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He made the jump from not even the highest junior league in the US in the NAHL to the highest junior league in the world in the CHL all things considered I would say that's pretty damn impressive & I wouldn't expect those kind of stats for him last year. Their defense was good but there was still a lot of nights where he was getting peppered with shots specifically in the playoffs.

If you look at the save percentages of goalies in the league more of them are south of .910 than north of it.
Well admittedly I don't get to see much of him. I just really didn't/don't consider him a blue chip prospect.

Old
03-04-2014, 08:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Well admittedly I don't get to see much of him. I just really didn't/don't consider him a blue chip prospect.
I don't neither because I don't really think there's much goalies out there worthy of that title. However Stolarz has exceeding my expectations so far from the moment he was drafted until now in terms of progression.

Old
03-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I don't think Stolarz is a blue chip prospect. Very good goalie prospect (top 10), but the only blue chip goalie prospects IMO are Gibson and Vasilevsky

Old
03-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
I don't think Stolarz is a blue chip prospect. Very good goalie prospect (top 10), but the only blue chip goalie prospects IMO are Gibson and Vasilevsky
He's still raw, so he's not in the category of those guys right now, but he has the athleticism, work ethic, and size that you simply cannot coach. He's playing for one of the more storied CHL organizations and he was a legitimate second round prospect when he was drafted.

You can throw whatever tag you want on him, but at the end of the day, as long as he keeps advancing as a player, there's no limited his ceiling yet.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:05 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Hopefully, his kids can find us the next Pronger

Quote:
Pronger, 39, who sometimes brings along his children to his scouting assignments, said he watches a lot of Flyers games on TV.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...gjLjL2auhwCY.9

Old
03-05-2014, 12:05 AM
whitstifier

What are the main knocks on Akeson? Does the org just hate him like Gus?

Old
03-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
Not good enough defensively to be a bottom 6 forward, not good enough offensively to play a top 6 role seems to be the general criticism.

I'm fine with giving him a shot depending on what we do tomorrow, but I'm not a big believer.

Old
03-05-2014, 01:51 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
A seriously undersized frame paired with only subpar to average skating is what was holding him back most so far.
His playmaking skills and hockey sense are NHL level though.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:00 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
A seriously undersized frame paired with only subpar to average skating is what was holding him back most so far.
His playmaking skills and hockey sense are NHL level though.
Yep this is exactly it. Size and skating.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Downie is small and slow and very stupid on the ice. I'd rather have Akeson on the third line than him.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Downie is small and slow and very stupid on the ice. I'd rather have Akeson on the third line than him.
downie has great puck possession skills, and is a very underrated playmaker. When he isn't taking dumb penalties he was the key to that line playing so well together.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Considering the 3rd line is currently used in more of a shutdown role, it doesn't make any sense to put him alongside Couturier. Putting Akeson there pretty much forces us to try to run 3 scoring lines, which isn't the best way to use Couturier and Read.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep this is exactly it. Size and skating.
His skating really isn't that bad. I don't know where this comes from. I definitely wouldn't call it his strength but it's not a glaring weakness either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not good enough defensively to be a bottom 6 forward, not good enough offensively to play a top 6 role seems to be the general criticism.

I'm fine with giving him a shot depending on what we do tomorrow, but I'm not a big believer.
His offense most certainly isn't his problem.

Today I imagine Homer will deal some d-men, Mez at least. Any upcoming moves probably won't effect the forwards.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:21 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

It's easy to **** on a guy underperforming in the nhl and proclaim a guy who's played 1 game in league would do a better job...

Downie still brings a lot that Akeson doesn't. He protects the puck better, has decent hands and has the ability to bring energy.

The reason Akeson isn't up here is because he doesn't bring a whole lot of anything other than what he's been in the ahl; a scorer. Something he won't be at the NHL level.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
downie has great puck possession skills, and is a very underrated playmaker. When he isn't taking dumb penalties he was the key to that line playing so well together.
That was three months ago. He has 4 assists and 33 PIM in his last 22 games.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

My hope is that if Akeson doesn't get a call up (and Terry Murray has been pushing that Akeson get a call up because he believes Akeson can be a player at this level), then McGinn should be getting the call and being the left winger with Couturier and Read. The guy's having a good season in Adirondack and every time he comes back to Philadelphia, the guy scores goals. There's the replacement for Downie.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
His skating really isn't that bad. I don't know where this comes from. I definitely wouldn't call it his strength but it's not a glaring weakness either.

Today I imagine Homer will deal some d-men, Mez at least. Any upcoming moves probably won't effect the forwards.
I absolutely disagree. From the 3 years I watched him, and during the prospect camps, I can say its almost below average at best. His speed is also not very good. He makes up for it by gliding more with the puck and making some extremely good passes. This is why a player like McGinn works well with Akeson. They both have average skating which makes their whole line slow things down.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

I said his offense doesn't get him into the top 6. Which one of LeCavalier, Hartnell, Simmonds or Voracek are getting moved out of the top 6 to allow him a spot?

That's what I meant about not good enough. He isn't cracking our top 6 barring injury and he isn't good enough defensively for how we utilize out bottom 6. Given the way they match-up Couturier's line against other top units, Akeson just doesn't have a spot right now.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:44 AM
deadhead

Akeson is an AHL player, if he were a NHL player, he'd been promoted by now. He's not only not a fit on the top 6, he's not as good offensively (the whole package, not just passing and shooting, but skating, going into the corner to dig out the puck, transitioning from offense to defense and back) as Read or Raffl, so he'd be a 4th line winger - and he doesn't have the skill set.

Best thing would be to trade him to a bad team for a low round pick as a favor to him.

McGinn is a 4th rd winger, he'll score given the chance, but he's been inconsistent at the AHL level - again, real NHL players rarely repeat in the AHL, unless you want to insist the Flyers are so deep in forward talent that they're stashing potential 20 goal scorers in the AHL?

This is also why I'm skeptical of Cousins, I expected him to be on the first or second line coming off his junior performance, and to put up good offensive numbers while he bulked up and learned to play defense.

If you can't dominate a minor league, what are the odds you can hold your own in the NHL? Now it would help if the Phantoms could actually make a playoff run, because I think playoff performance is a better predictor (both at the junior and AHL level) of a player's performance at the next level (more intense competition exposes flaws).

Old
03-05-2014, 11:21 AM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
Akeson is an AHL player, if he were a NHL player, he'd been promoted by now. He's not only not a fit on the top 6, he's not as good offensively (the whole package, not just passing and shooting, but skating, going into the corner to dig out the puck, transitioning from offense to defense and back) as Read or Raffl, so he'd be a 4th line winger - and he doesn't have the skill set.

Best thing would be to trade him to a bad team for a low round pick as a favor to him.

McGinn is a 4th rd winger, he'll score given the chance, but he's been inconsistent at the AHL level - again, real NHL players rarely repeat in the AHL, unless you want to insist the Flyers are so deep in forward talent that they're stashing potential 20 goal scorers in the AHL?

This is also why I'm skeptical of Cousins, I expected him to be on the first or second line coming off his junior performance, and to put up good offensive numbers while he bulked up and learned to play defense.

If you can't dominate a minor league, what are the odds you can hold your own in the NHL? Now it would help if the Phantoms could actually make a playoff run, because I think playoff performance is a better predictor (both at the junior and AHL level) of a player's performance at the next level (more intense competition exposes flaws).
While I agree with everything you said, I still think Akeson could stick it on 10-15 clubs. Flyers have higher standards when it comes to two-way play than a bunch of clubs.

Old
03-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Roman Reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
While I agree with everything you said, I still think Akeson could stick it on 10-15 clubs. Flyers have higher standards when it comes to two-way play than a bunch of clubs.
Yet most of our forwards are sub par defensively. Explain that

Old
03-05-2014, 03:21 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Yet most of our forwards are sub par defensively. Explain that
Good:
Cooter
Read
Hall

Average:
Schenn
Giroux
Voracek
Raffl
Lecavalier

Bad:
Hartnell
Simmonds
Rinaldo
Downie

Horrible:
We dropped players like Briere/Zherdev

I think its our lack of good defensive forwards. We lost Richards, and haven't completely replaced Lappy/Betts. What I meant to say was our worst defensive forwards aren't that bad.

Old
03-05-2014, 03:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
Good:
Cooter
Read
Hall

Average:
Schenn
Giroux
Voracek
Raffl
Lecavalier

Bad:
Hartnell
Simmonds
Rinaldo
Downie

Horrible:
We dropped players like Briere/Zherdev
I would bump Raffl to good, Hartnell to average, & Lecavalier down to bad.

Closed Thread