HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pavelski to Toronto

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Nolan11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Let's see I will start with Logan C, Vlasic, and Marleau and I still would want more for JVR and Kessel.
Marleau has full nmc and a San Jose based in laws He retires here. Sorry

Old
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Gerbefied
we lost to the best

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Off season could see us considering Reilly + holland + Leivo/1st or similar
Yea, I'm really high on Holland, but honestly, Gardiner looks much better than Rielly this year, I think I'd rather have him.

Gardiner, Holland, Leivo/1st + D-Prospect? I think if do it.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Marleau has full nmc and a San Jose based in laws He retires here. Sorry

I was having a little fun here, for Leafs to move Kessel and JVR. It would have to be a mega return that it would not be realistic at all.

Fun talking about it though.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
HappyGilmourr

Man Pavelski along the back of a white and blue jersey would look very Sharp

Old
02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
jgoud

You'd have to trade either Bozak or Kadri to fill the C position, then add Rielly because there is zero reason for the sharks to trade him for a downgrade at C.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmourr View Post
I would really consider doing Kadri for Pavelski straight up because of our win now mode but that's it... Kadri will be better then Pavelski in 3 years. Also Pavelski would likely play with Lupul... Were not breaking up that Bozak line... Lupul needs a skilled C to play with
Just because we're competitive now doesn't mean it's "win now" mode for the Leafs.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri

Pavelski would be great but lets not pretend that Kessel wasn't playing like this before the Olympics too.

Leafs are better off upgrading their defence.

HOWEVER, if it were a deadline trade I would offer Lupul + Gardiner + Bolland + conditional 1st (dependant on Bolland re-signing). Bolland is a UFA, but he helps with your playoff run.

I doubt either team does it though.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Prying Pavs out of SJ is going to take a an over-payment which Toronto is not going to make.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old
02-16-2014, 12:05 PM
OLUSAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
Yea, I'm really high on Holland, but honestly, Gardiner looks much better than Rielly this year, I think I'd rather have him.

Gardiner, Holland, Leivo/1st + D-Prospect? I think if do it.
As a leafs fan I do this deal. If it's Reilly instead of Gardiner I don't consider it.

IMO Reilly is stronger defensively already and he has more points in less games this season. Gardiner has a lot if upside but Reilly is on another level.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Nazemlupul

Pavelski would be a luxury the leafs can't afford. Why trade for Pavelski, when we already know Bozak fits with JVR and Kessel. Pavelski is a way better player than Bozak, but we have other pressing needs then an upgrade on center. If were making any upgrades it should be on defence.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

My favorite part of this thread is someone undervaluing Pavelski's game because Thornton inflates the point totals of everyone on the team.

Pavelski is the opposite. He can play with fringe AHLers on the third line and still produce. Making claims like that truly outs you as someone who doesn't watch the sharks very often or pay attention to their injury situations.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:08 PM
dukeofjive

Wont happen kessel is too good to play with pavs

Old
02-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

This opinion may be controversial to my fellow sharks fans but I think Pavelski is more important to the team than Couture. Not trying to directly compare them but Pavelski has been the one guy on the sharks you can pretty much rely on in any situation since 2006. There's a reason brian burke called him a swiss army knife. Couture might have more value but without a consistent jack-of-all-trades like Pavelski I don't think the sharks do nearly as well in the regular season as they have this decade. Plus, he's sort of 'clutch', if that really exists.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-16-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
02-16-2014, 12:14 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Ok, but you do realize that looking it in this simplified way makes the concept of a 1C totally irrelevant in any discussion of value like people we going for here. Obviously Bozak currently plays center on TO's 1st line, he still holds as much value compared to San Jose's 3C as, say, Edmonton's 1D would compared to anyone every getting to make the D lineup in Nashville at all.
I'm not the one who brought up the titles.... simply correcting somebody making the false claim that Pavelski is a #1 Centre.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:17 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazemlupul View Post
Pavelski would be a luxury the leafs can't afford. Why trade for Pavelski, when we already know Bozak fits with JVR and Kessel. Pavelski is a way better player than Bozak, but we have other pressing needs then an upgrade on center. If were making any upgrades it should be on defence.
Yea, this.

Bozak isn't Pavs, but he's a damn nice player. If you are going to give up assets, get something back that strengthens a weak spot.

02-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Hertl View Post
Yeah, this is where I actually "lol"ed.

This opinion may be controversial to my fellow sharks fans but I think Pavelski is more important to the team than Couture. Not trying to directly compare them but Pavelski has been the one guy on the sharks you can pretty much rely on in any situation since 2006. There's a reason brian burke called him a swiss army knife. Couture might have more value but without a consistent jack-of-all-trades like Pavelski I don't think the sharks do nearly as well in the regular season as they have this decade. Plus, he's sort of 'clutch', if that really exists.
I agree. IMO pavelski is currently better player over couture. Pavs will not get much better. In a year or three, couture should jump out front.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Hertl View Post
My favorite part of this thread is someone undervaluing Pavelski's game because Thornton inflates the point totals of everyone on the team.

Pavelski is the opposite. He can play with fringe AHLers on the third line and still produce. Making claims like that truly outs you as someone who doesn't watch the sharks very often or pay attention to their injury situations.
You realize that a substantial portion of Pavelski's points come on the powerplay with Thornton, right?

This isn't a case of undervaluing his production, simply taking it for what it would likely be on our team. Pavs would probably be a 60+ point all around centre for us, and make our 2nd line substantially more consistent.

Worth $6m? Sure. Worth Kadri+? Sure.... worth Kadri+ a cost controlled young defenceman? no.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I'm not the one who brought up the titles.... simply correcting somebody making the false claim that Pavelski is a #1 Centre.
Come on. It's known that when someone is labeled a "#1 center" means that given a team with 'average' center depth, they would be the first line center. Trying to twist the meaning of "#1 center" into something else is obtuse.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Interactif

You don't think playing behind Thornton helps a #2C like Pavelski.

Pavelski is a good, smart player but he is not the #1C on SJ.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-16-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
02-16-2014, 12:27 PM
Nazemlupul

Quote:
Explain? You don't think playing behind Thornton helps a #2C like Pavelski.

Pavelski is a good, smart player but he is not the #1C on SJ.
Just cuz someone isn't a first line center on the sharks doesn't mean he's a second line center. Pavelski is one of the 30 best centers in the leauge, which means he's a number 1 center. Sharks have unreal center depth which is why he plays the third spot. Pavelski is everything you'd want from a first line center. He can play the PP, PK, amazing on the draw, and is a natural leader.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The numbers say otherwise. Heck, forget the games missed, how many other lines in the league have 67 goals? 3? 4?

Bozak is a #1 centre in this league, and has been for the majority of his career.
Yeah, Bozak has been a #1 centre for most of his career. Sure....

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 02-16-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: posts, not posters
Old
02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
93gilmour93

Even though pavelski is better then Bozak I consider them both 2nd line centers. Pavelski is just on the higher end of the scale but is still a number 2C. Honestly Jay McClement could play between Kessel and JVR right now and it wouldn't slow down 81 and 21.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Explain? You don't think playing behind Thornton helps a #2C like Pavelski.
Pavleski is a #1 center. Unless by #2, you mean he plays center on the 2nd line of the Sharks, but that is also false. He also doesn't play beside Couture; they're rarely linemates.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:46 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post

No he's not, nor has he ever been.

You are out of your mind. Bozak is a number one center. Everyone slobbers over Datsyuk and Bozak has comparable numbers over the same number of games this season. I'm not saying Bozak is as good as Datsyuk obviously, but if their production is similar you can't really poop on Bozak. This whole "Bozak isn't a number one" phenomenon is ridiculous. The guy wasn't a high draft pick so he'll never have the cache to be considered a number one center. A guy like Kadri however, regardless of how well he plays will get the benefit of the doubt as our "future number one" because of the sexy number 7 overall tag. If Bozak had first round pedigree not a single person would ever suggest Bozak is not a number one center, especially after the season he's putting together this year when healthy.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
93gilmour93

To me there is only 12-15 legit number one centers in the league. Pavelski and Bozak don't make that list. The term 1C is thrown around to much. Lots of teams don't have one.

Closed Thread