HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Mason Raymond

Old
02-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Namikaze Minato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergate View Post
Epic fail. I said he was a good penalty killer.

Nice fail though.
"epic fail"
"nice fail"
You're very astute, young man.

Yes, such great compliment that you would pay a late round draft pick for a 20 goal scorer.

Apparently our opinions differ, I'll leave it at that.

Namikaze Minato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 07:33 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergate View Post
Maybe a 5th tops. Pitts could use his help on pk and help for the fourth line. Might as well.
Penguins need help on the PK? They have the #1 PK in the league...

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Namikaze Minato

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
Penguins need help on the PK? They have the #1 PK in the league...
and Raymond isnt even a top pairing PK guy on the leafs...

Its been a while, obviously, but i think when the leafs have a full healthy roster (re: Bolland) he was in the third pairing for PK forwards.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post
Um... Are we talking about the same player, or do you not know who Mason Raymond is? Your PK would become the worst in the league with him there, and he'd be completely useless on the 4th line. We can get more from other teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 2nd or 1st.
Well, you should be. You should be shocked rather than just surprised, really.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:56 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, you should be. You should be shocked rather than just surprised, really.
I wouldn't be shocked, well not as shocked as some other trades. There's been more ridiculous trades out there, and he's a capable sniper so who knows. It's more likely than Raymond for less than a 3rd.

SeaOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 08:58 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
After the trade deadline, an asset's value is determined by what they bring to the ice night in and night out. The assets you're proposing trading for bring ZERO value.

Outscoring our problems is reality -- in case you've missed the entire Leafs season. The team isn't going to overhaul the way they play with 20 games remaining, and a defenceman isn't likely to be available to us.... which brings us back to the original point -- bringing up our AHL fodder onto the 3rd line isn't going to solve our shot differential issues, having somebody on the 3rd line who can score may just allow us to be successful outscoring those issues. Having Raymond on it isn't going to inhibit that line's ability to be the shutdown unit.

Fixing the defensive issues of this team is something that will ahve to wait until the offseason.
So you do have a loser's mentality then... You are contradicting yourself quite a bit I must say.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked, well not as shocked as some other trades. There's been more ridiculous trades out there, and he's a capable sniper so who knows. It's more likely than Raymond for less than a 3rd.
I wouldn't call him a sniper to start with. I agree with you that it's more likely than a 4th or lower, simply because it would be too pointless for the Leafs to ever do it. But still, I'd think if the Leafs fell into a situation where selling would make sense (which I don't see happening this year with things staying close), I'd say a 2nd would be a decent haul.

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:00 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
and Raymond isnt even a top pairing PK guy on the leafs...

Its been a while, obviously, but i think when the leafs have a full healthy roster (re: Bolland) he was in the third pairing for PK forwards.
He shouldn't even be 3rd pairing, or even 4th pairing. By the way, do you think we should even trade Raymond, or is that having a "loser mentality".

Old
02-16-2014, 09:03 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
I wouldn't call him a sniper to start with. I agree with you that it's more likely than a 4th or lower, simply because it would be too pointless for the Leafs to ever do it. But still, I'd think if the Leafs fell into a situation where selling would make sense (which I don't see happening this year with things staying close), I'd say a 2nd would be a decent haul.
I agree with you 100%. I'd be more than happy and be looking for a 2nd round pick. I'm just saying that if we got a 1st round pick, I wouldn't be as surprised as the Steen trade is all

Old
02-16-2014, 09:30 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
So you do have a loser's mentality then... You are contradicting yourself quite a bit I must say.
How so?

We've made a decision that we can be a more successful team giving up lots of shots, and outscoring our problems. We've acheived a decent level of success doing so.

If we're going to change our strategy, we're not going to do it with 20 games left.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:42 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Hes a canucks fan, they are all insanely Anti- Raymond for no reason whatsoever.

Its like us being pissed and hating on Alex Steen because he found success on another team. It makes no sense other than the obvious, mindless dislike for all things leafs from Vancouver fans.
That's a two way street there little one. Your leaf brethren have been doing the same to us for years and years. Must feel different the shoe on the other foot for a change.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
How so?

We've made a decision that we can be a more successful team giving up lots of shots, and outscoring our problems. We've acheived a decent level of success doing so.

If we're going to change our strategy, we're not going to do it with 20 games left.
A "decent level" is still "loser mentality". If we are keeping Raymond, it should be for a serious cup run. A "decent level" won't get us out of the first round.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:58 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
That's a two way street there little one. Your leaf brethren have been doing the same to us for years and years. Must feel different the shoe on the other foot for a change.
What since when? I haven't seen it in a while, or at least not constantly. If you are talking about 2-3 years ago, those people aren't even on here anymore probably, so that's no reason to talk about the people now that way.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:17 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
A "decent level" is still "loser mentality". If we are keeping Raymond, it should be for a serious cup run. A "decent level" won't get us out of the first round.
Well... if you have a way we can be more successful, I'm all ears... but, totally changing our team's strategy with 20 games left is not going to be the answer.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Well... if you have a way we can be more successful, I'm all ears... but, totally changing our team's strategy with 20 games left is not going to be the answer.
Well we don't really need any improvements in the bottom 6, even if we are trading Raymond and Kulemin. There's really many different ways we can go, depending on how drastic you want to go.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Namikaze Minato

Quote:
He shouldn't even be 3rd pairing, or even 4th pairing. By the way, do you think we should even trade Raymond, or is that having a "loser mentality".
Depends on a couple factors come trade deadline.
Can we replace that offense, and with somebody who can step into a solid position in the event of an injury?

Return would be a big factor as well, if our asking price is super high, and somebody meets the demands youd certainly have to think he would be moved.

Are they planning on selling out other players (kulemin/ bolland etc) because you cant sell all your UFA's and still be ready to compete for the rest of the year.

Lots of questions have to be raised for you to sell him off, all my opinion, of course.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:34 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Well we don't really need any improvements in the bottom 6, even if we are trading Raymond and Kulemin. There's really many different ways we can go, depending on how drastic you want to go.
No we don't, we need to stick with what we have, and get healthy. Right now our 3rd line has 3 guys who can play the shutdown role, but also step up in the lineup / contribute tertirary offence -- exactly what any playoff team needs.

As for the suggestion of trading Kulemin...

Old
02-16-2014, 10:50 PM
dim jim
K2B

vCash: 50
Quote:
Um... Are we talking about the same player, or do you not know who Mason Raymond is? Your PK would become the worst in the league with him there, and he'd be completely useless on the 4th line. We can get more from other teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 2nd or 1st.
You're telling someone else that they don't know anything about Raymond? He has all the tools to be a good penalty killer, he's so underrated defensively.

dim jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:52 PM
CanucksSayEh

Raymonds not a particularly good checker, he's fast so he can get in the lanes/position. If he catches a D-man flat footed...look out.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Sergei Berezin
You're Wrong

someone gave Gaustad a first... lol

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Man Bear Pig

Anyone who believes Raymond is bad defensively really needs to watch some more games. His issue has never been defense, it's been the lack of consistency and the fact that he's a perimeter player 99% of the time. If the guy drove to the net, he'd score 30 a year. He certainly has the wheels to do it. Reminds me of Jason Blake when he was on the NYI's. When he drove the net he was an elite scorer, when he came here he turned into Mason Raymond thus, reverting back to a 20 goal scorer. Anything less than a second rounder and I wouldn't bother dealing him. Best bang for your buck on this team and provides depth.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:48 PM
Peen
Dim Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by peen View Post
This is one of those players who's putting up numbers but doesn't have much value. Has never performed in playoffs. He's a possession killer. He falls a lot. He frustrates the fanbase but in proposals he gets valued higher than what he is.

Still got more value than David booth.
quoting this again.

I wouldn't make a pitch for Raymond to come in for a cup push, unless we have an injury on our 3LW spot, and that 3LW who's injured is the same possession killing beast Raymond is.

So really, if the Canucks were in first place and David Booth goes down with an injury, I'd happily call up the leafs to put Raymond on the third line.

I think there's better options than Raymond for a contending team. Maybe to Chicago because their PK is trash and >bollig/bickell/morin. I don't see any other fits really.

Peen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

he's honestly not a bad player at all...

just seems to be hot-dogging it a bit in order to get some points so he can land a nice contract next year

good complimentary player... i would say he could fetch a 2nd or B spect+late pick

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Tripod

Playoff teams add depth at the deadline. Toronto won't trade him.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Taras

I think you guys are missing the huge point made here... ANY TEAM CAN FIT HIM IN TO THEIR LINEUP AT 500K/YEAR

sure there are better players available out there... No one is arguing with that... The argument here is... Can teams that are tight against the cap fit them in without giving up other assets from their roster.

Taras is offline   Reply With Quote