HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mason Raymond

Old
02-17-2014, 12:19 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
I think you guys are missing the huge point made here... ANY TEAM CAN FIT HIM IN TO THEIR LINEUP AT 500K/YEAR

sure there are better players available out there... No one is arguing with that... The argument here is... Can teams that are tight against the cap fit them in without giving up other assets from their roster.
I think you're missing the bigger point...

Why the heck would a playoff bound team trade him?!?

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
he's honestly not a bad player at all...

just seems to be hot-dogging it a bit in order to get some points so he can land a nice contract next year

good complimentary player... i would say he could fetch a 2nd or B spect+late pick
I'd take that. That B prospect will hopefully be a winger, and has top 6 potential however.

SeaOfBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Hibachi

For those who don't think he's worth anything, take your goggles off. Yes he might of had trouble in previous playoff games, and he isn't the most consistent, but he's not going to be brought in to be that piece of the puzzle for the cup, but depth.

Regardless though, he's not getting traded so I don't even know why this is brought up. For the same reasons, Toronto will want him for their playoff push. One million caphit for a speedy third line winger who can transition to second line if injuries happen. And for a 1 million dollar depth player, he's playing pretty good.

At 3 million, people can complain and say he's not worth trading for, and they might be right as I would be leaning towards that point of view also. But one million lets you do so much more and possibly get a bigger piece as well if teams are really trying to take that next step.

Hibachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Matt Frattin
Linden Vey
2nd round pick 2014

Mason Raymond
Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov

There.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:48 PM
crazyaces**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfBlue View Post

Matt Frattin
Linden Vey
2nd round pick 2014

Mason Raymond
Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov

There.
Would rather keep all those players we have. In fact if you reversed the trade, and LA was sending all of that to us I would take it! LoL

crazyaces** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Mailbox Head
Registered Schmoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
Hes a canucks fan, they are all insanely Anti- Raymond for no reason whatsoever.

Its like us being pissed and hating on Alex Steen because he found success on another team. It makes no sense other than the obvious, mindless dislike for all things leafs from Vancouver fans.
Well that's a generalization.

I actually have a big soft spot for Racin' Mason, I would have been happy retaining him, but it was time to move on.

That being said, we're not anti-Raymond in the slightest, we just find it amusing after having watched him for the past however many years, realizing his flaws and talents, and realizing he held little value around the league - and then seeing certain members of the Leafs fanbase asking for a 1st round pick for him.

Raymond is far better defensively (at least he was on the Canucks) than I think he's being given credit for. If put in an offensive situation, I think he's a good bet for 20-20 each season. That being said, he is frustrating as all get out. Falls down, turns the puck over, does the same damn streak down the wing, shot either at the chest/around the boards and out. He's not a strong possession player, and has minimal hockey IQ in the offensive zone.

I'd say he's one of those guys worth a 3rd and a fringe NHL prospect at the deadline, much like Chris Higgins when the Canucks acquired him from the Panthers a few years back.

He's not a player playoff teams will be lining up to acquire - he's proven himself fairly ineffectual in the playoffs (maybe that changes... but history speaks for itself right now). That being said, he's decent depth. If you acquire him with the expectation that he'll be a top 6 forward, you'll be disappointed and frustrated, and if you need him to be a top 6 producer, you're in trouble. From the 3rd line, he won't provide you the offense you think he's capable of, and likely isn't worth the price of a 3rd. It's a bit of a conundrum.

Last edited by Mailbox Head: 02-17-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Mailbox Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:39 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
Would rather keep all those players we have. In fact if you reversed the trade, and LA was sending all of that to us I would take it! LoL
Why do you want to keep Cameranesi and Loov? We probably won't sign them, and Vey is an upgrade over Cameranesi. Raymond for a 2nd is probably what will happen if he's traded so we essentially add Ashton to get a two-way third line winger of whom we are familiar with already.

Raymond> low second (+10)
Ashton<Frattin (-50)
Cameranesi+Loov>Vey (+50 ish)

Linden Vey will combine with Leivo to give us two potential top 6 forwards in our system, plus we recoup a second we don't have and get a younger two-way forward.

Old
02-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Gillies32
Bennett=Gilmour

Raymond may only be worth a 4th or 5th, maybe 3rd. Inconsistent, doesn't pass, soft, doesn't play in all zones

Gillies32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:03 PM
Perro

Quote:

Matt Frattin
Linden Vey
2nd round pick 2014

Mason Raymond
Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov

There.
LA doesn't have 2014 2nd. Would rather have Vey over Raymond.
Frattin for a prospect or two could be done.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 06:04 PM
Perro

Quote:
Why do you want to keep Cameranesi and Loov? We probably won't sign them, and Vey is an upgrade over Cameranesi. Raymond for a 2nd is probably what will happen if he's traded so we essentially add Ashton to get a two-way third line winger of whom we are familiar with already.

Raymond> low second (+10)
Ashton<Frattin (-50)
Cameranesi+Loov>Vey (+50 ish)

Linden Vey will combine with Leivo to give us two potential top 6 forwards in our system, plus we recoup a second we don't have and get a younger two-way forward.
Raymond is not worth a 2nd. Take away his hot start and he really looks bad.

Perro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:22 PM
SeaOfBlue
No Leaf Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGL View Post
Raymond may only be worth a 4th or 5th, maybe 3rd. Inconsistent, doesn't pass, soft, doesn't play in all zones
See, I was going for the overpayment factor, and that's why I had to throw in Ashton (who no offense to Vey, is the most NHL ready prospect in this deal considering Frattin can't be classified as a prospect anymore).

However, if we do move Raymond (possibly to another team), we may still be interested in Vey and Frattin.

Matt Frattin
Linden Vey

Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov
(we are also taking a contract from you guys)

Frattin is aware of our system (I don't know if he had a falling out or not, but I don't see why that would happen) and has played with us. He can be a guy who plays bottom 6 with us for another couple of years and let some of our deep group of bottom 6 prospects develop. Linden Vey gives us a prospect of which we are lacking in a top 6 potential forward rather than Ashton, who may become more successful than Vey (and looks like it at this point at time), but more likely as a good bottom 6 forward than a top 6 guy, where we have a lot of forwards as it is.

As I already said, Carter Ashton is an NHL ready bottom 6 young player, and gives you NHL replacements for guys you may trade (i.e. Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, etc.) Tony Cameranesi is a skill forward who is undersized, but he's also a little gritty and can play away from the puck, plus he's quite durable. He's a lot like Spencer Abbott, but better and has a good chance of being at least a depth scorer in the NHL (and he can also play all three forward spots, like Abbott did at one point), however with players like Greg McKegg, Dominic Toninato and Carter Verhaeghe already in the system, he may get lost in the shuffle. Viktor Loov isn't anyone special, but he has a lot of potential, much like Carl Gunnarsson once did (not to mention they are similar sizes ish and have a similar style). He has value and I have a feeling he could be dark horse. I would love to keep him, but I have a nagging suspicion that it won't happen because we've already signed quite a few good prospects on the backend and he's just excess.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
See, I was going for the overpayment factor, and that's why I had to throw in Ashton (who no offense to Vey, is the most NHL ready prospect in this deal considering Frattin can't be classified as a prospect anymore).

However, if we do move Raymond (possibly to another team), we may still be interested in Vey and Frattin.

Matt Frattin
Linden Vey

Carter Ashton
Tony Cameranesi
Viktor Loov
(we are also taking a contract from you guys)

Frattin is aware of our system (I don't know if he had a falling out or not, but I don't see why that would happen) and has played with us. He can be a guy who plays bottom 6 with us for another couple of years and let some of our deep group of bottom 6 prospects develop. Linden Vey gives us a prospect of which we are lacking in a top 6 potential forward rather than Ashton, who may become more successful than Vey (and looks like it at this point at time), but more likely as a good bottom 6 forward than a top 6 guy, where we have a lot of forwards as it is.

As I already said, Carter Ashton is an NHL ready bottom 6 young player, and gives you NHL replacements for guys you may trade (i.e. Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, etc.) Tony Cameranesi is a skill forward who is undersized, but he's also a little gritty and can play away from the puck, plus he's quite durable. He's a lot like Spencer Abbott, but better and has a good chance of being at least a depth scorer in the NHL (and he can also play all three forward spots, like Abbott did at one point), however with players like Greg McKegg, Dominic Toninato and Carter Verhaeghe already in the system, he may get lost in the shuffle. Viktor Loov isn't anyone special, but he has a lot of potential, much like Carl Gunnarsson once did (not to mention they are similar sizes ish and have a similar style). He has value and I have a feeling he could be dark horse. I would love to keep him, but I have a nagging suspicion that it won't happen because we've already signed quite a few good prospects on the backend and he's just excess.
Wow... a deal that actually makes sense for the Leafs....

BTW, it's not really fair to call Ashton a prospect at this point either... he's just a really crappy NHLer.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:26 PM
Bluejaysfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGL View Post
He will get much more than that. He is on pace for more than fifty points, when has a player ever returned what you are suggesting when they put up those type of numbers.

Bluejaysfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Raymoondo
Swag Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergate View Post
Maybe a 5th tops. Pitts could use his help on pk and help for the fourth line. Might as well.
What the heck are you talking about? Why would we give him to Pittsburgh then?

Raymoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 09:30 PM
RSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Mayson Raymond at 50% salary retained.

The team is getting a 20 goal guy at 500k/year.

Would teams like Pittsburg, LA, Chicago, San Jose... Offer their first for a playoff rental? Knowing that he will not necessarily resign with them...???

Btw - not interested in players coming back (leafs don't have cap room). Unless they were previous year picks and still are on the ELC.

Also not interested in quantity, I want to see quality.
In what world does Mason Raymond get you a 1st.

RSeen is online now   Reply With Quote