HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: Sushinsky is signed by NY Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 04:07 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Straka, Nylander, Rucinsky, Sushinsky....all these signings to cater to Jagr's needs. Makes you wonder whether management really thinks he's a lock to play in the NHL rather than go back to Russia as previously rumored.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Fletch

Reminds me...

of when the Flyers signed Dopita... This is exactly the type of move one would expect Sather to make - looking to find that uncovered gem that doesn't exist.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
looking to find that uncovered gem that doesn't exist.
Ciger anyone? And the sad thing is, you know perfectly well that if this signing is true, this clown will have every chance in the world on the top two lines. Even if a Balej or a Lundmark outplays him in pre-season.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:22 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
The signing: First of if signed, Sushinsky will play on the top 2 lines in the NHL without a doubt. This guy would probably make a ton of money playing in russia and wouldn't take a chance with the Rangers if he got a 2-way contract.

Second, why? If guys like Straka and Nylander weren't available, if we had to choose between him or signing a Kariya type of player for a ton of money, IF... Can't however see where he fits in though on this team? I am guessing he will play with Straka and Jagr, but if we are gooing to have him, and the rest of the vets and Nieminen and Ward and a goon there will only be room for Balej and three guys out of Lundmark/Moore/Ortmayer/Hollweg/Jessiman...

The player: There have been a few guys like Sushinsky in Europe through out the year. Guys that didn't make it at a young age and turns into really good players later in their careers, you often think about them that if they HAD made it to the NHL earlier they might have become big stars.

Max is a player I've seen a ton of the last couple of years. He have always been the Russian national team coaches first choice and weared the C allot of times. First and foremost he is a really smart hockey player. He is much more of a setup player then a sniper. However he is not a rocket on the skates and doesn't have magical wrist or something like that. If he plays with Straka and Jagr it might be a perfect oppertunity for him to actually have a pretty good year in the NHL. Though there is still a possibility that he might become a bust...

Also, the impression of him that I got is that he isn't a one way forward at all. He is really smart defensivly and is not a floater. But how well can you play defense in the NHL at 5'7 165LBS???
Interesting read. Thanks Ola. Sounds a little like Sergei Makarov.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:31 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ciger anyone? And the sad thing is, you know perfectly well that if this signing is true, this clown will have every chance in the world on the top two lines. Even if a Balej or a Lundmark outplays him in pre-season.
Cigar + Barnaby I am still amazed Sather made agood trade like that. One of the few good moves he has made.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Larry Melnyk

Somebody please tell me who is gonna mentor the kids that will mainly man the 3rd and 4th lines..I'm talking Lundmark, Moore, Hollweg, Murray,Jessiman,Giroux, maybe even Betts and Ryan..? You can't honestly tell me that nationality/home country and player-type doesn't play a role in the groupings, cliques and camraderie of a team....

Can you see Jagr, Sushi, Nylander and the rest of the Euro top 2 lines mentoring and teaching these kids...I truly can not....And wasn't this year supposed to be about growth and development...

Once an arse, always an arse..Sather blows...What's worse is that this is the way the clueless, incompetnet coach also wants to go.....

Old
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Just because they're euopean it doesn't mean they can't teach anything to the younger Rangers.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:48 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Once an arse, always an arse..Sather blows...What's worse is that this is the way the clueless, incompetnet coach also wants to go.....
Sather has not had an original thought since 1989. As for the coach, you getting some Blowzo the clown memories here, LM?

Old
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Fletch

Tb...

I had originally penned Ciger's name into the post, but decided not to since Ciger did have a 33 goal season in the NHL previously.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
Just because they're euopean it doesn't mean they can't teach anything to the younger Rangers.
That is true, but my bet is that there will a pretty significant divide if the team stays as is...The players won't do it on purpose, it will naturally evolve that way..Just a gut feeling...And you can't question that the young Canadian/Americans would probably relate better to an older Can/Am player....

OK, I'll say it, WE NEED MESSIER NOW...

Old
08-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Sather has not had an original thought since 1989. As for the coach, you getting some Blowzo the clown memories here, LM?
TB, the nightmares are already starting again ..All that money for therapy down the drain!

But seriously, Renney has done nothing in his pro careeer as a coach to give me the warm and fuzzies!

Old
08-09-2005, 05:51 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I did a Google and found this article on Sushinsky:

New language, homesickness too much for Sushinsky (4/1/01)

Maxim Sushinsky went on a wild ride this hockey season. Unfortunately, his inaugural NHL season was over almost as soon as it started. Sushinsky left the Minnesota Wild and returned to his native Ukraine.

A fifth-round selection in last summer's entry draft, the 26-year-old Sushinsky led the Wild with seven goals at the season's quarter pole. But decreased ice time and homesickness were behind his decision to leave. Sushinsky, who doesn't speak English, returned with his wife, Elena, and 6-year-old daughter, Viktoria.

"It's too bad he couldn't mix with the other guys, he was lonesome," said Coach Jacques Lemaire. "He was always very serious and never got in the mold of the team. It's too bad because he's a kid that has talent. But because he couldn't speak the language and understand what the guys were doing, it was tough for him."

Wild teammate Sergei Krivokrasov, a Russian and neighbor in Minnesota, criticized Sushinsky for not trying to adapt to the United States.

"It seemed he didn't want anything," Krivokrasov said. "For me, it was frustrating because it wasn't appreciated. So basically, see, this guy doesn't care, so I might as well not help him at all. He didn't try to learn anything, he didn't do anything."

-----

(if this happens) What the hell is Sather doing? Put a new kid in instead of this guy.

Old
08-09-2005, 05:59 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
I did a Google and found this article on Sushinsky:

New language, homesickness too much for Sushinsky (4/1/01)

Maxim Sushinsky went on a wild ride this hockey season. Unfortunately, his inaugural NHL season was over almost as soon as it started. Sushinsky left the Minnesota Wild and returned to his native Ukraine.

A fifth-round selection in last summer's entry draft, the 26-year-old Sushinsky led the Wild with seven goals at the season's quarter pole. But decreased ice time and homesickness were behind his decision to leave. Sushinsky, who doesn't speak English, returned with his wife, Elena, and 6-year-old daughter, Viktoria.

"It's too bad he couldn't mix with the other guys, he was lonesome," said Coach Jacques Lemaire. "He was always very serious and never got in the mold of the team. It's too bad because he's a kid that has talent. But because he couldn't speak the language and understand what the guys were doing, it was tough for him."

Wild teammate Sergei Krivokrasov, a Russian and neighbor in Minnesota, criticized Sushinsky for not trying to adapt to the United States.

"It seemed he didn't want anything," Krivokrasov said. "For me, it was frustrating because it wasn't appreciated. So basically, see, this guy doesn't care, so I might as well not help him at all. He didn't try to learn anything, he didn't do anything."

-----

(if this happens) What the hell is Sather doing? Put a new kid in instead of this guy.

If Sather signs him, I for one, with whoever wants to join me, to go to MSG and bring Sather to the back of MSG and we will all take turns beating him to the head with a hockey stick. Maybe that will make him realize that this is not 1980's anymore.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Taz

I didnt mind all of the signings that we have done so far, (apart from maybe ward) but this is one i really dont like if its true. If it was a 27-8 year old maybe but another 31+ on the team is getting TOO much and he is soft and small too. i mean i feel we have enough top line vets now, that can be replaced by prospects if they are being outplayed. eg Rucinsky from 2nd line to 3rd.

I want Lundmark, Balej, Perhaps Prucha Immonen and maybe even Giroux and Dawes to play a few games with good minutes, its pretty much just mediocre old guys.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:46 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
That is true, but my bet is that there will a pretty significant divide if the team stays as is...The players won't do it on purpose, it will naturally evolve that way..Just a gut feeling...And you can't question that the young Canadian/Americans would probably relate better to an older Can/Am player....

OK, I'll say it, WE NEED MESSIER NOW...
If you belive that, fair enough, but I do question that the NA players can't relate as well to the euro guys. Hockey is hockey and if they're too narrow minded to learn from guys willing to teach then the rangers have huge problems. Although you do have a point, this particular group of players, who happen to be euopean, don't seem to be the teaching kind, critisize them for the fact that they seem to be poor teachers. Don't blame it on their place of birth.

Old
08-09-2005, 07:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

If he does sign, can the Wild ask for some money from Sathers since Sushi never gave his signing bonus back?

Old
08-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master
If you belive that, fair enough, but I do question that the NA players can't relate as well to the euro guys. Hockey is hockey and if they're too narrow minded to learn from guys willing to teach then the rangers have huge problems. Although you do have a point, this particular group of players, who happen to be euopean, don't seem to be the teaching kind, critisize them for the fact that they seem to be poor teachers. Don't blame it on their place of birth.
I'm not really blaming them. I just think that is the way it is going to be. And I truly think the birthplace and game style impacts that. And nationality cliques happen all the time in baseball and hockey...I've seen baseball teams with poor chemistry as a whole becuase they have Latin American cliques (with young Latin Americans taking the cues from the elder countrymen) and Americans cliques. Sometimes they are able to mesh, other times they aren't. Same thing in hockey. And it's because people gravitate to where they are comfortable. Heck, just look t Sushinksi and why he left in the first place---he wasn't comfortable..

And as you agree, this group of players does not have a mentor/dynamic personality that looks to become a leader to all. I truly think an elder North AMerican wouldn't hurt in the chemistry department...and no. I really don't want Messier...Unfortunately, the team is now old enough...

Old
08-09-2005, 08:04 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
I'm not really blaming them. I just think that is the way it is going to be. And I truly think the birthplace and game style impacts that. And nationality cliques happen all the time in baseball and hockey...I've seen baseball teams with poor chemistry as a whole becuase they have Latin American cliques (with young Latin Americans taking the cues from the elder countrymen) and Americans cliques. Sometimes they are able to mesh, other times they aren't. Same thing in hockey. And it's because people gravitate to where they are comfortable. Heck, just look t Sushinksi and why he left in the first place---he wasn't comfortable..

And as you agree, this group of players does not have a mentor/dynamic personality that looks to become a leader to all. I truly think an elder North AMerican wouldn't hurt in the chemistry department...and no. I really don't want Messier...Unfortunately, the team is now old enough...
Although it may be the case in other sports, I don't belive that's the case in Hockey... either way... I suppose we'll have to disagree on the issue.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Den

I am surprised that everybody is buying Gazeta.ru's report. This outlet is renowned for its amateurism in hockey.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 674

ye,let's hope this report is false. Otherwise it looks like a very stupid move. We need to let one of the young kids play on the first line...

Old
08-09-2005, 09:17 PM
bymer

Russians in Minnesota?

IF this is true, he'll have a much easier time adjusting in NYC - I mean look at the Russian base in Brooklyn and other boroughs, and compare that to Minnesota.

still, trying to think who else is on the team besides Tyutin can act as a translator

Old
08-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymer
IF

still, trying to think who else is on the team besides Tyutin can act as a translator
Tyutin, Kondratiev, Kasparaitis?

Old
08-09-2005, 09:30 PM
bymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den
I am surprised that everybody is buying Gazeta.ru's report. This outlet is renowned for its amateurism in hockey.
here is another linky: Jagr sends Sushinkisy to NHL

there is nothing in the article that suggests a contract has been reached, even in principle.

the same article goes on to quote head coach of Omsk, saying that: "I wouldn't say that Jagr's question is a done matter. There is a lot of time ahead, lets wait and see how Jagr's negotiations turn out with NYR".

Are they still hoping that Jagr can swing it with Avangard? What are they smoking?

Old
08-09-2005, 09:31 PM
bymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
Tyutin, Kondratiev, Kasparaitis?
forgot about Kaspa, although he isn't really Russian russian if you know what I mean

Old
08-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymer
forgot about Kaspa, although he isn't really Russian russian if you know what I mean
True, true.

Closed Thread