HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Winter Olympics Sochi: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Duchene is one of those players that is really hard to find players he can have chemistry with.
I don't know about that. Dutchy obviously works best with a player who can switch between C and L/RW with him, but he's done relatively well with a rotating cast of linemates through the years. He doesn't appear to be any more difficult to find compatible linemates with than any other skill player.

The only guy on the Avs roster he's terrible with IMO is MacKinnon. They both appear to want to be in the same areas of the ice and both want the puck a lot, which ostensibly leads to some major confusion between the two.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Foppa Frossa

If Duchene's linemates keep this up, we're going to be seeing eastern conference teams throw spare parts at us in Duchene trade proposals, because clearly he is a bust

Old
02-16-2014, 07:25 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
Duchene doesn't work with Landy. I really don't know why, Landy works great with MacKinnon. Duchene is the hardest to find a match on our team. He's only ever done well with O'Reilly, PA and McGinn, though not directly but more as a line. I don't remember any Duchene-Stastny experiment. I'm sure it's happened but I repressed a lot of the bad years.

Canada fans seem to be pretty happy with Duchene. I don't think they have any idea how good he can be so this output they've seen is good to them.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:27 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Duchene doesn't work with Landy. I really don't know why, Landy works great with MacKinnon. Duchene is the hardest to find a match on our team. He's only ever done well with O'Reilly, PA and McGinn, though not directly but more as a line. I don't remember any Duchene-Stastny experiment. I'm sure it's happened but I repressed a lot of the bad years.

Canada fans seem to be pretty happy with Duchene. I don't think they have any idea how good he can be so this output they've seen is good to them.
Did Landy and Duchene get more than a handfull games together? I'm sure it would work with some patience. Stastny and Landy didn't have a great start either. Not every line chemistry is instant.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Dutchy was put on Stastny's wing (and I think Sacco even tried the reverse that season as well) when he was struggling. It didn't work, but I don't think that was necessarily due to lack of chemistry, just that Duchene was in a rut and the team as a whole sucked.

Some people seem to forget that before Galiardi-Stastny-Stewart, it was Galiardi-Duchene-Stewart. And that line worked just fine. I remember some even complaining that Sacco was actively snatching any sort of momentum Duchene was getting by taking away his linemates.

I think any notion of Duchene being tough to find compatible linemates as overstated as it is finding compatible linemates for Sidney Crosby. I think he definitely does well with a winger who can also play center, and in the case of Jamie McGinn, a winger who doesn't need the puck.

Incidentally, fancy stats numbers suggest Dutchy would work VERY well with John Mitchell. I know, I know...both apparently like having the puck, but even though it's an abysmally small sample size, they both did okay as linemates.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:10 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 1252
Blues twitter deleted this, but my tweetdeck never forget. Dumb thing to tweet about in the first place.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:17 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Thought this was interesting on how goals per game and goal differential have gone down these Olympic games.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:19 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Because he is ****ing awesome.
He really is?

I think he is hilariously awkward and one of my least cared players in hockey (Backes/Toews being 2nd). Someone like Oshie on the other hand is a person I would love to have on Avs or team Polska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Skills competitions in the medal games? Sometimes the IIHF makes the NHL appear to be a sane and professionally run organization. Sometimes.
You have penalties in big games like the Champion's League and World Cup, I don't see anything wrong with it in International competition for ice hockey except the medal games. Though in the NHL I do hope they get rid of it or add in 4v4 and 3v3 sections before the shootout.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-16-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old
02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He really is?

I think he is hilariously awkward and one of my least cared players in hockey (Backes/Toews being 2nd). Someone like Oshie on the other hand is a person I would love to have on Avs or team Polska.
I find him funny plus he has an awesome shot so I am a fan of his.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:27 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 1252
You hate everything Seph.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Anyone notice Stastny today? To use a Roy-ism I thought he was buzzing all game long. He had team high 5 SOG. He definitely had an extra jump in his step.

Old
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
You hate everything Seph.
No I don't hate Kessel, I just don't care about him.

Yes I do hate Backes and Toews, definitely. And double yes that I do hate everything.

Edit: Since Brick likes Kessel, I have to hate him now as well.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-16-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old
02-16-2014, 09:38 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
No I don't hate Kessel, I just don't care about him.

Yes I do hate Backes and Toews, definitely. And double yes that I do hate everything.
Except me.

Old
02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Balls on the table!

It is funny that I have to root for the US when I can't stand Backes or Brown. But then again I can't stand Crosby or Toews either so I guess it will even out if we play against Canada.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Quote:
Anyone notice Stastny today? To use a Roy-ism I thought he was buzzing all game long. He had team high 5 SOG. He definitely had an extra jump in his step.
Stastny just plays better for his country... linemates.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:35 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
You have penalties in big games like the Champion's League and World Cup, I don't see anything wrong with it in International competition for ice hockey except the medal games. Though in the NHL I do hope they get rid of it or add in 4v4 and 3v3 sections before the shootout.
Exactly, just as the NHL has no SO in the playoffs, there should be no shootout in Olympic Medal games.

Old
02-17-2014, 02:54 AM
El_Loco_Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Exactly, just as the NHL has no SO in the playoffs, there should be no shootout in Olympic Medal games.
Heeeey now. Don't be hating on Forsbergs postage stamp.

Old
02-17-2014, 03:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Foppa2118

It does seem like it lends itself more to sit back and trap. If the forwards are too aggressive, they put themselves way out of position.

That said, we've seen dominating offensive performances for teams before int he Olympics. Canada just always seems to struggle with chemistry until he last second for some reason. Sometimes it takes too long and they end up being eliminated early.
Well the trap was ''invented'' on the big ice by the Czechoslovakia way back and it later got perfected by Bowman when he was with the Canadiens. On the big ice there's a bigger focus on the defensive aspects of the game, also you can't fore-check the same way you can on the smaller ice because you would get picked apart by the defensemen on the other team. You have to pick your spots and be smart about it.

The other big misconception is the physicality of the game on the bigger ice, when they asked Cheechoo (who's now playing for my hometown team in the KHL) what was his biggest misconception about the KHL he said it was his belief that the game isn't as physical here as it is in NA.

As for team Canada, their problem is that they are approaching this as an all-star game selection and they aren't playing as a team, much like Russia.

Quote:
Tigervixxen

Any word if they are for sure going to keep riding Varly?

I thought big ice would lead to more scoring too but look at the scores in games between the decent teams, all low.

Canada played well, they controlled the play the entire game but Finland did well taking away most of the decent scoring chances.
I doubt Zinetula goes with Bobrovsky in QF's after his horrible performance in the SO, but he'll probably put Bob in against Norway.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Schedule is out

http://sochi2014.iihf.com/men/statistics/

Biggest note is US and Canada play at the same time, 10am mountain on Wednesday. Sweden gets the early game 1am, Finland and (maybe) Russia 5:30.

Old
02-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I don't know about that. Dutchy obviously works best with a player who can switch between C and L/RW with him, but he's done relatively well with a rotating cast of linemates through the years. He doesn't appear to be any more difficult to find compatible linemates with than any other skill player.

The only guy on the Avs roster he's terrible with IMO is MacKinnon. They both appear to want to be in the same areas of the ice and both want the puck a lot, which ostensibly leads to some major confusion between the two.
He needs someone who likes to play the center lane.

Old
02-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Avalanche
@imlouied

Quote:
Blues twitter deleted this, but my tweetdeck never forget. Dumb thing to tweet about in the first place.

ew, what a douchey thing to say

Old
02-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Stopsight

Quote:

Wow that's pretty dumb. Intern got themselves fired no doubt haha

Old
02-17-2014, 11:37 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
What a terrible thing to tweet by a club's official account. No doubt they got in trouble for this.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
CrimsonPuma*

Quote:
I want Suisse versus Slovenia, but I will settle for Suisse versus Russia. On their medal run they will have the toughest test against Latvia, shutout Canada, and blowout that defensive core from the USA. Don't think they'll win gold though.

And why the hell does Kessel have to lead the tournament in points? He is probably the MOST uninteresting hockey player in the world.
Unsubscribe...

Old
02-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
My colleague wrote good recap of the preliminary round and the Avs players performances: http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=4328

Closed Thread