HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Street Hockey Goalie Pads

Old
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Rizzy13

vCash: 500
Street Hockey Goalie Pads

Hey guys

I've always owned street hockey goalie pads that eventually got replaced but for last 5 years, haven't had any. I'm looking to buy some that will last and am kind of flexible on the price. Want a great glove, pads that can withstand a beating somewhat before tearing, and pads that have good knee protection when going down. Also want a proper chest protector that covers the arms. Any thoughts on what set to get and where?

Here is the set I've found that I want so far:

http://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipmen...street-sr.html

that does not include a chest protector.

Here is a chest protector I found:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/de...l#.UvrDAfldWSp

I have a goalie stick, goalie mask and my personal hockey pants that I put a sleeve over to protect me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:13 PM
silkyjohnson50

Although I don't play goalie, I do play roller often.

My biggest question when purchasing something is what type of surface will you be playing on? If it's one of those real smooth indoor courts, you can typically think about buying higher quality because you don't have to worry about the wear. But if it's outdoor rinks that have rougher surfaces than you'll probably want to get a cheaper product.

For example, I play in a lot of outdoor rinks and as a result won't spend over $120 on roller blades because I run through them every 2 years. Wheels are one thing, but I often grind and shave the chassis as well by cutting and stopping.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 12:41 AM
MattGTI

Yes, the surface you are playing on, as well as the level you are playing should determine what you are buying.

I don't see a lot of guys using dedicated street hockey goalie pads anymore. On an indoor surface(non asphalt/concrete) most guys in the leagues I play in buy some pretty solid gear. From what I gather, it's mostly clearance and close out ice hockey stuff.

If it's a harder/less giving surface like asphalt or concrete, guys that I play with tend to use older stuff that has gotten pretty beat up over the years. It's either stuff they used to use for ice hockey, or stuff they bought used. Either way, as i said, most goalies in the leagues I have played in over the past 5-10 years have gone solely to ice hockey gear in some way/shape/form, because the street hockey level stuff never holds up, breaks down easier, and is smaller in size for the most part.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 03:59 AM
ean

Mylec baby

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I use my old decrepit Koho 450 pads for that sorta stuff. Those things are survivors.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:51 AM
Rizzy13

Any thoughts on how to prolong street hockey pads before they are ever even used? I heard something about plastic just to extend the use. I'm not worried about the impact it hast on performance really. These pads are just going to be for playing outside with 2-3 friends. I just want nice looking ones that can last as well with sporadic use, not even daily.

Old
02-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Newfy IceCapd

If you're using them on the road specifically there really is no way to prevent the ripping. I went through 1-2 pairs a year back in the day.

If you're using them in a gym of flooring, I'd recommend finding an old cheap pair of actual ice hockey pads. I use my blue and white CuJo gear and it holds up quite nice

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:52 AM
DarrenBanks56

if you are using them on asphalt.
that pair you posted is probably your best bet.
They will last about a year before you have to start duct taping the tears.
They do hold up pretty good though.

There is also this pair that I have purchased for asphalt before.
They hold up the best, but youll have to get knee pads and not buckle the top two or three buckles if you want to have a decent butterfly going.

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Rizzy13

Hey everyone, thanks for all the tips.

I ended up buying this pair of Warrior Ritual's Street hockey pads from Canadian Tire (nowhere else had any pads). They were $80, and $40 each for glove and blocker. I liked the look and everything. I haven't opened them yet. I can't find a pic of them either because they just came in. I also want a goalie chest protector and Canadian Tire only had a crappy one for $35. I found one online for $55 (that's with shipping included). Overall I would end up spending $250 with everything and tax.

Today at inlinewarewhouse and in general they have 20% off with a code (GOLD20). They have Mylec pads, glove and blocker (which are $90, $60 and $45) respectively. And they have a chest protector for $49 (mylec). I put everything in the cart and with $10 shipping, the 20% off, it came up to like $190 with everything included! Here are the items:

Pads: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Mylec...page-M7LP.html

Blocker: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Mylec...page-M7BS.html

Glove: http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Mylec...page-M7CS.html

Chest Protector:http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Mylec...age-MACSW.html

Thoughts? Sorry I'm getting into too much details. The pads look really nice and I watched the videos on them and stuff and they seem to be great and someone mentioned them here. The catch is that, if I buy the Mylec pads online, I can only get them shipped to my sister's house in NY, and who knows when I'll be able to pick them up (hopefully March). But the quality and what everyone is saying and the price makes it seem worth it ($40 less minimum)