HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meaningful Games for the Oilers

Old
03-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Meaningful Games for the Oilers

Going back over the last 5 seasons there have only been a handful of games for the Oilers with any playoff implications. The first few games of every season plus maybe 30 games of last season where they still had an outside chance. This season started off with Gagner and RNH injured, in their first 8 games the Oilers had one win. We didn't even get one week of false hopes b4 the season was crushed like a snail under a meteor.

Now it comes down to the meaningful games at the end of the season where we determine our draft position and the Oilers are reverse-tanking.

A win against the Wild when they were trailing by 2 goals at the start of the 3rd period are you kidding me?

In the last 10 games the Oilers gained:
6 points on Fla (Oil are 1 point behind Fla now with 1 more gp.)
4 points on Calgary & Buffalo.
3 points on NYI.

They can't even lose now when it's important lol. They just have an uncanny ability for making every game painful to watch. If you go on the NHL leaders page Scrivens picture is there for top sv% and Gagner has 7 points and +2 in the Oilers last 5 games. WTF? The team is almost 100% healthy, Anton Belov is the only Oiler injured right now. That never happens to the Oil.

They are in danger of simultaneously losing their draft position and what's much worse - keeping Eakins afloat for the start of next season.

If the Oil beat St Louis in their next game, in a wierd way it's the same as being in the heat of the playoff race and losing a critical game to the worst team in the league. I can just picture the Oil coming back to tie them in the 3rd period and then Oshie hitting our goalie in the crest in the shootout. Then in the eighteenth round of the shootout Gazdic busts the cookie jar for the big win. yay

Can we just ffwd to the end of the season please? See what player Eakins really likes so the Oilers can go off the board to draft them

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

I thought the Oilers tanked?

Either way, I'm enjoying the wins...this team need some positive vibes

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:36 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers don't need anymore lottery picks.The Oilers are good enough as it is to be in the playoffs.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:38 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 161
Best case scenario: We start winning games, our (young) guys gain confidence, we get good players from UFA market and we're going to make the playoffs in 14-15.

Worst case scenario: We don't win many games but enough to get past Florida and end up drafting 3rd overall. Reinhart and Ekblad gets taken and we aren't able to sign any good UFA names.

We're talking about the Oilers so the odds are in worst case's favor. Probably Hall asks for trade during summer as well.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:38 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I thought the Oilers tanked?

Either way, I'm enjoying the wins...this team need some positive vibes

Too bad though it doesn't have any sort of transition into the next season.The Oilers went on a big run a few years back at the end of the year,only to be a **** team at the start of the next season.

Old
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Best case scenario: We start winning games, our (young) guys gain confidence, we get good players from UFA market and we're going to make the playoffs in 14-15.

Worst case scenario: We don't win many games but enough to get past Florida and end up drafting 3rd overall. Reinhart and Ekblad gets taken and we aren't able to sign any good UFA names.

We're talking about the Oilers so the odds are in worst case's favor. Probably Hall asks for trade during summer as well.

A UFA group which is really bad this offseason, might I add.

Old
03-12-2014, 03:41 PM
The Bored Man
Fire everyone

Disregard tanking, acquire wins.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Going back over the last 5 seasons there have only been a handful of games for the Oilers with any playoff implications. The first few games of every season plus maybe 30 games of last season where they still had an outside chance. This season started off with Gagner and RNH injured, in their first 8 games the Oilers had one win. We didn't even get one week of false hopes b4 the season was crushed like a snail under a meteor.

Now it comes down to the meaningful games at the end of the season where we determine our draft position and the Oilers are reverse-tanking.

A win against the Wild when they were trailing by 2 goals at the start of the 3rd period are you kidding me?

In the last 10 games the Oilers gained:
6 points on Fla (Oil are 1 point behind Fla now with 1 more gp.)
4 points on Calgary & Buffalo.
3 points on NYI.

They can't even lose now when it's important lol. They just have an uncanny ability for making every game painful to watch. If you go on the NHL leaders page Scrivens picture is there for top sv% and Gagner has 7 points and +2 in the Oilers last 5 games. WTF? The team is almost 100% healthy, Anton Belov is the only Oiler injured right now. That never happens to the Oil.

They are in danger of simultaneously losing their draft position and what's much worse - keeping Eakins afloat for the start of next season.

If the Oil beat St Louis in their next game, in a wierd way it's the same as being in the heat of the playoff race and losing a critical game to the worst team in the league. I can just picture the Oil coming back to tie them in the 3rd period and then Oshie hitting our goalie in the crest in the shootout. Then in the eighteenth round of the shootout Gazdic busts the cookie jar for the big win. yay

Can we just ffwd to the end of the season please? See what player Eakins really likes so the Oilers can go off the board to draft them
So this is your whole point then, yes? There's no way that Eakins gets let go, after clearing out the garbage between the pipes, if obvious Eakins will be the coach for the time being.

As for draft position, last I checked, the players don't give a **** about that, so they are playing hard, or hard-ish, and will compete to win, not hard to understand.

I can't understand why you're aren't happier, they finally got rid of Hemsky, that must of been statifying for you.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 03:50 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
A UFA group which is really bad this offseason, might I add.
There is still good players out there. A guy like Stastny would be our 1st line center, Andrei Markov isn't going to get re-signed and he's top-pairing guy in Montréal etc.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:05 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

I still have a taste of the ass-kicking suffered to the kings.

I enjoy wins more than losses.

**** the draft.

on a side note, the more we win, the easier it is to trade the pick.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:08 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I would much rather watch this team end on a winning note with confidence in our goaltending.

If we have strong goaltending next year, a couple of additions on the back end, and an individual change in the top 6 could see us in the playoff hunt. I actually feel we could be in the upper half of duo's in net for the conference next year.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:11 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I still have a taste of the ass-kicking suffered to the kings.

I enjoy wins more than losses.

**** the draft.
Yup, we'll pick top 5 no matter what, that usually means an at least ok NHLer within a couple of years which is perfectly fine by me. Let's try and build an actual hockey team out of the pieces we got instead of chasing high picks.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:11 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
The Oilers don't need anymore lottery picks.The Oilers are good enough as it is to be in the playoffs.
not even remotely true IMO

we have, easily, the worst defence in the entire league... how is that "good enough for the playoffs"?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:12 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
There is still good players out there. A guy like Stastny would be our 1st line center, Andrei Markov isn't going to get re-signed and he's top-pairing guy in Montréal etc.
stastny is not going to come to edmonton... if he actually does hit the UFA market, he will be one of the top-5 guys in demand

Old
03-12-2014, 04:13 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
not even remotely true IMO

we have, easily, the worst defence in the entire league... how is that "good enough for the playoffs"?
It doesn't matter as our star forwards can easily make up for the defense and lead this team in the playoffs next year.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
stastny is not going to come to edmonton... if he actually does hit the UFA market, he will be one of the top-5 guys in demand
I think it's unlikely, but if we did move Gagner, there would be a guaranteed spot for him.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:25 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

Quote:
Tell me one team besides Oilers which is a) searching for center, b) has cap hit to sign him for long-term contract and c) has empty spot at 1st line C.

Also, if we're able to acquire Markov, getting Stastny would become much easier.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:31 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Well, no, we are not good enough to be in the playoffs, but I agree that we don't need more kids. Unless we can get Ekblad, I want to trade the pick. Get some veteran leadership, experience, size and defensive ability out of the pick instead of yet another skilled forward.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
It doesn't matter as our star forwards can easily make up for the defense and lead this team in the playoffs next year.
No, the forwards don't play consistently enough to get us in the playoffs. Not yet.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:35 PM
tawheed

I agree that I'd much rather see the team starting to put together some kind of consistency in their efforts and winning some games. Tanking is no longer part of the solution, the last thing this team needs is more kids - if anything, trade picks for experienced players who can teach the kids to play.

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 04:40 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
I agree that I'd much rather see the team starting to put together some kind of consistency in their efforts and winning some games. Tanking is no longer part of the solution, the last thing this team needs is more kids - if anything, trade picks for experienced players who can teach the kids to play.
I would also target Timmonen and/or Zidlicky

Old
03-12-2014, 05:25 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Tell me one team besides Oilers which is a) searching for center, b) has cap hit to sign him for long-term contract and c) has empty spot at 1st line C.

Also, if we're able to acquire Markov, getting Stastny would become much easier.
a) almost every team in the league is searching for centers
b) the cap is rising, so there will be lots of teams with cap space.... 28 teams have 11+ million in space next year, 20 teams have 20+ million in space, and 4 teams have 30+ million.... there are lots and lots of teams that can afford the 6 or so that statsny will command in the off-season
c) just a rough guess, but i'd say probably half the teams in the league would make room for him as at least their #2 C (which is what he would be here as well btw)

Old
03-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Tyrolean

Plat well but do not win many games. If you are going to be out of the playoffs, you might as well play your new guys and find about about them Play well but finish as low as you can. The Oilers cannot sign impact UFA's so they must get a high draft pick.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Homesick

Quote:
b) the cap is rising, so there will be lots of teams with cap space.... 28 teams have 11+ million in space next year, 20 teams have 20+ million in space, and 4 teams have 30+ million.... there are lots and lots of teams that can afford the 6 or so that statsny will command in the off-season
c) just a rough guess, but i'd say probably half the teams in the league would make room for him as at least their #2 C (which is what he would be here as well btw)
MacTavish dodged a bullet by Clarkson refusing his 6+ million dollar offer. I expect MacTavish to offer Stastny 9+ for 7 years. Overpayment? you bet. The only way a free agent will sign here? you bet. Flip Eberle for a Josi/Myers/Byfuglien and it looks a little better.
I've been trying to watch Fleury a lot more lately out of Red Deer and it might be better in the end to get some wins to finish the season and grab him.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 05:42 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

Quote:
a) Teams can search for whatever they want. Clever player doesn't go to a team which already has locked up two, even one better center.
b) Cap is rising but 30 teams needs to re-sign their UFAs/RFAs. For example team like St. Louis has Miller, Ott, Sobotka, Morrow, Berglund, Schwartz etc without contracts. Teams like Blues aren't able to throw 6-8M contracts to Stastny.
c) If we want to make playoffs, no way Nuge is our 1st line C. 90% of the NHL teams he would be 2nd line C.