Notices

Boychuk's next contract

Old
02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Boychuk's next contract

Next year is Boychuk's last year on his deal. Given the emergence of the young D and projecting where they will be in a couple years, that Krejci needs a new deal and that Hamilton, Smith, Soderberg, Krug, Bartkowski, etc will all be needing new deals, and that the Bruins still need a long term Iginla replacement, how far in term do you go for Boychuk and do you think that is enough to get him to stay? If someone offers him 5x5 (totally realistic) do you match it?

My feeling is that another team would be willing to go harder to get him and that next year is his last in black and gold.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
BubbaBoot

I thought in the last couple of seasons that he might be good trade fodder because of the the decent return we could possibly get. He's had some injury history but this year he's been damn near excellent, both before and after his injury.

Given that Chara ain't get any younger I'd really like another experienced blueliner back there with the kids. Both Seidenberg and Boychuk are qualified to be that guy.

Seidenberg I'd noticed, seems to have lost a step. He's still a physical and smart player but his recent injury will make it tough for him to come back to his full self. He's going to be be 33 in July while Boychuk just turned 30.

Seidenberg is signed through 2017/18. I love the guy and I hope he comes back because I think you're right, given the way he's played this year, Boychuk is going to attract some serious suitors.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:31 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersej View Post
Next year is Boychuk's last year on his deal. Given the emergence of the young D and projecting where they will be in a couple years, that Krejci needs a new deal and that Hamilton, Smith, Soderberg, Krug, Bartkowski, etc will all be needing new deals, and that the Bruins still need a long term Iginla replacement, how far in term do you go for Boychuk and do you think that is enough to get him to stay? If someone offers him 5x5 (totally realistic) do you match it?

My feeling is that another team would be willing to go harder to get him and that next year is his last in black and gold.
Looking at last year UFA D group, Boychuk would have been atop of the list. He'll be 31 at the end of his deal. There will certainly have interest for him if he ever reach UFA. Chia has certainly a number in mind for him or a plan to move him with the riches we have in young D who already proved they can play and will only get better.

Chara and Seids are here for good. Then Hamilton-Krug-Bart give you 3 upcomings great young D. That's 5. Then McQuaid and Miller.

It would hurt to let him go cause I like him a lot and has proved to be an awesome playoffs performer. But assets wise, it could be the best decision. Unless Chia can get a steal Cap Hit, he should try to unload him at the 2015 deadline. Teams usually pay top price for a top-4 Dmen and Boychuk is a monster in the playoffs. If the return ain't there, keep him and try a last Cup run with him then reassess during summer.

Boychuk
Krejci
Soderberg
Campbell
Paille
McQuaid

All UFA at the same time. They most likely won't all come back. Youngsters or cheap great UFA depth will hten have to come in to take their place.

But we aren't there yet. There's two Cups to be won before all that. Let's enjoy the ride for this one, as we are the team to beat for that SCF ticket in the East.

Next important date is March 5th to see what our competition and the B's will do.

Enjoy the ride!

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:45 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
McQuaid goes before Boychuck, in my opinion. I think Miller makes him expendable given Quaider's health issues.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 04:02 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
McQuaid goes before Boychuck, in my opinion. I think Miller makes him expendable given Quaider's health issues.
And he doesn't take foolish penalties, something McQuaid is prone to do.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Miller certainly has the 6th/7th D spot locked up with his 800k Cap hit for the next 2 seasons.

Chara
Seids
Hamilton
Boychuk
Krug
Bart
McQuaid
Miller
Morrow

Great depth chart. Some of them will leave. Hopefully we get something good in return.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:14 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think McQuaid is for sure gone, but the savings between he and Miller isn't going to solve our cap woes.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
I think McQuaid is for sure gone, but the savings between he and Miller isn't going to solve our cap woes.
The Cap going up will. And that Kelly saving too.

Old
02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
NinthSpoke06

The expected cap increase should make it relatively easy to keep Boychuk around.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:12 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post
The expected cap increase should make it relatively easy to keep Boychuk around.
Everyone's cap is going up though. Its not in a vacuum. You think a team like EDM won't overpay for a physical veteran hometown boy to mentor their young D?

Old
02-17-2014, 05:34 PM
JoeIsAStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post
It really won't much of the cap increase has already been spent this year.

Personally I think they move Boychuck in the offseason and move on, but I guess they may decide to squeeze that last year out of him, and let him leave as a free agent

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:38 PM
patty59

I think they have to keep Boychuk, the guy is the real deal. Love him on this blueline and if you let him go, you can almost guarantee that you'll be looking for a Boychuk-type shortly after.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
bb74

2nd toughest D behing Chara. You take him out and all the sudden the D becomes very pedestrian in terms of physicality. Not a good recipe for going deep in the playoffs...

If he walks as a FA so be it, if it means he produces another 2 full off-seasons for this team. That's a fine tradeoff for what he brings and he's earned it with his play.

bb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
weaponomega

With the emergence of Bartkowski, Krug and Miller along with Morrow in Providence, I could see Boychuk being a trade candidate in the offseason.

With everyone healthy the defense looks very crowded:

Chara
Seidenberg
Miller
Krug
Bartkowski
Hamilton
Boychuk
McQuaid
Morrow

If it isn't Boychuk then definitely McQuaid will be moved.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I think they have to keep Boychuk, the guy is the real deal. Love him on this blueline and if you let him go, you can almost guarantee that you'll be looking for a Boychuk-type shortly after.
Do you pay him more than Seidenberg?

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
The Cap going up will.
Yeah, I agree. There aren't any cap woes. Moving McQuaid isn't about the cap. It's about keeping Johnny Rockey, slotting a young defenseman, and acquiring pieces for the future. Quaider's cap hit is just under $1.6M and the Bruins have control of his contract through next season. He'll likely be bundled into some kind of trade.

Old
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Wobbly Pops
Quiet, Gnashgab.

vCash: 50
If you trade him, it's gotta be him+ for a long-term upgrade.

Wobbly Pops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:59 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Do you pay him more than Seidenberg?
He's already paid more than Seidenberg. He probably gets a raise to match The Moose's contract.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:55 PM
theswede2013

I don't know what the cap will be going forward but I think it would very detrimental to the team without Johnny. He is great defesmen that plays hard nosed the bruins way. He is a top four guy on any team. Furthermore he is young and I his prime I would lock him up for a four contract. That being said no player is off limits to a trade if the exchange is there so be it but do not let hi
Walk for free via free agency.

theswede2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
neelynugs

i've gotta think with the cap going up and boychuk's resume, he's looking at maybe $5.5M x 5 years (or more, depending on how desperate and insane some teams get). i love the guy, and was wrong about him many years ago when thinking his lack of hockey IQ would crush his chances of being a regular NHL player. huge playoff performer. would love to see bruins keep him, but not for that long/at that money. maybe if they can convince him to extend for 3 years at $5M, but guys who play his style of game are the types that decline sharply. tough call, glad i won't be making it.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:36 PM
JoeIsAStud

You can keep Boychuck for next year (probably but it's tough), but signing him long term just isn't going to happen unless you really want to make sacrifices in other areas.

Krug is going to get a hug boost in salary in the offseason, I'm sure some on this board would let him go, but I doubt the bruins will. If the Bruins go short term with Krug they might be able to get him for 3 mill AAV, but I kind of expect it will be higher even on a short term deal.

The next year the Bruins have to deal with Hamilton, and Dougie's next deal will resemble Seguins

Can you really have a defense with Chara at 6.9, Seids at 4.25, Hamilton at 5, Krug at 3.5 and Boychuck at 5.5?

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
i've gotta think with the cap going up and boychuk's resume, he's looking at maybe $5.5M x 5 years (or more, depending on how desperate and insane some teams get). i love the guy, and was wrong about him many years ago when thinking his lack of hockey IQ would crush his chances of being a regular NHL player. huge playoff performer. would love to see bruins keep him, but not for that long/at that money. maybe if they can convince him to extend for 3 years at $5M, but guys who play his style of game are the types that decline sharply. tough call, glad i won't be making it.
Boychuk just doesn't have the offensive #'s to get into that stratosphere. I'm sure he might like you as his agent going forward though. I believe the B's will be able to lock him down at about 12 - 13.5 mil for 3 years and they would be wise to do so. Any of you thinking that they would sooner move him than Bartkowski, McQuaid or even Miller for that matter need to stop hanging with Rob Ford. It still baffles me at how under appreciated this guy is around here by some.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:24 PM
BigGoalBrad*

Lock him up something like 4 years 18 mil. We need experienced minute eaters like him we have 3 D men who fit that mold and 1 is out for the year.

He probably will get what he asks for in UFA so hopefully he can be resigned.

BigGoalBrad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:28 AM
GloveSave1
Boston Bruins

It will be interesting to see what his market is when the time comes...

Maybe Chia can take from somewhere else and splurge on another high cap dollar defenseman.

I've seen it as more towards moving in the stock of younger D...life in a cap league, and so on...but there is no doubt I love the playoff tested Boychuk.

So if Chia pays Boychuk the going rate, or makes another Chia 'move of greatness' getting him at a steal of a deal, you would have to think we trade Bart.

I can't see both Bart and McQuaid being here, and there's no more room. McQuaid is what he is, tough, has decent wheels, won't hurt ya, and most importantly - is simply reliable. Reliable in terms of what you are going to get on the ice in the regular season and playoffs, and reliable in terms of what you are going to have to pay him - which is practically nothing. I feel very comfy with him on the back pair, minding young offensive players like Krug.

Bart is more of a guy with middle pair aspirations, and that would seem to mean - trade bait.

We'll see. If I was to guess, I'd say Boychuk gets the same contract as Seidenberg (4 yrs, 4 mill per).

Downgrade Iginla?
Find a way to get rid of Kelly's number?
Get creative.

Or...simply part ways with Boychuk and move the young Bart in at a nice savings.

For what Boychuk has done in the playoffs, I can't say he hasn't earned D2 money.

I hope Chia is the man with the plan.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 02-18-2014 at 12:34 AM.
GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Fire Sweeney

Both McQuaid and Boychuk will be gone. We have Chara signed long-term at a huge cap-hit and Hamilton, then we already have Millar and Seidenberg as bottom 4 D. Morrow will get a look next year, Krug will probably be re-signed.

Fire Sweeney is online now   Reply With Quote