Boychuk's next contract

Old
02-19-2014, 07:14 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'm not as sold as some of you on Boychuk. While yes he is a solid rugged dman, IMO he lacks offensive IQ & he struggles against speedy forwards. Yes he throws some big open ice hits every 8 games or so, but he really doesn't do any one thing particularly well. I'm a fan of Boychuks style game (heck every team needs a Boychuk or three), but not at the salary he most likely will demand.

Again I go back to looking at the Chicago Blackhawks as an example. They've had tons of turnover since 2010 Cup & went on to win another. They identified their core & let go of some solid players due to cap restraints. Chiarelli (& some fans) have a tendency to "fall in love" with said players. While Boychuk & Kelly have been serviceable Bruins & contributed to a Stanley Cup, they must go. They are replaceable with younger cheaper talent within the Organization. Chiarelli can't afford to lose one of his core players in order to keep an overpaid Boychuk or Kelly in black & gold. Söderberg, Bartowksi, Miller, Spooner, Krug etc.. Have all proven they can play a regular shift in the NHL. It's time to let the kids play.
Boychuk isn't McQuaid, he isn't just a replaceable bottom pairing defenseman. Miller has the makings of being the next Boychuk I'd wager, but not for a bit. I think Boychuk is here, or needs to be here, for at least the next 2 seasons. When Chara is gone, then go with what we have.

As someone said above, Chara, Hamilton, Krug, Boychuk, and Seids should be the defensive core going forward. I am betting on Miller and Bart being the last two defensemen with McQuaid finding a new home.

Last edited by PatriceBergeronFan: 02-19-2014 at 07:19 AM.
PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:44 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post
Boychuk isn't McQuaid, he isn't just a replaceable bottom pairing defenseman. Miller has the makings of being the next Boychuk I'd wager, but not for a bit. I think Boychuk is here, or needs to be here, for at least the next 2 seasons. When Chara is gone, then go with what we have.

As someone said above, Chara, Hamilton, Krug, Boychuk, and Seids should be the defensive core going forward. I am betting on Miller and Bart being the last two defensemen with McQuaid finding a new home.

And you trade Morrow?

See I see Chara Hamilton as the top pairing next year. Hamilton has grown so much this year, and really has played like a top 2 defenseman when he has been healthy and in the groove.

I guess the one big concern with trading JB in my book is Seids health

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:02 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
If Seids took 16m for 4 years, you think Boychuk will really ask Chia for 5-6 per? If that's the case, he'll be playing elsewhere next year. Hopefully he'll take a hometown discount.
Sadly that'a fairly irrelevant. The context of when you sign your deal matters a lot. Marchand makes 4.5, Lucic makes 6. But in a vacuum if you redid those deals today, I doubt you make Marchy 1.5 less, specially given his PK roll.

Boychuk could make more than Seids simply by virtue of the timing of his deal, relative to what the market commands. Btw sometimes it's fine to pay a guy 1m more than he should get, just because of his roll in the room, his knowledge of the system, and your trust in him come playoff time. I'm ok with Boychuk at 5.5m per for 4 years once the cap shoots up. I doubt you ever regret that deal when guys like Subban are getting 8-9m per.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
nmbr_24

I don't see why so many people here seem eager to move Boychuk. This year he has played better than ever before. I am really worried about what the D would be like over a prolonged period of time if Boychuk was dealt and either Chara or Seidenberg was injured.

I am just not a fan of dealing Boychuk, I would deal McQuaid first and I know that doesn't clear up much cap space but if they decide to keep Iginla he is likely to be a little cheaper on his next deal. Maybe even enough to cover the raise Boychuk would get. If they moved Kelly, Campbell, and Thornton doesn't come back and they fill those spots with guys making near league minimum or rookies they will save plenty of cap space I think.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
wintersej

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I don't see why so many people here seem eager to move Boychuk. This year he has played better than ever before. I am really worried about what the D would be like over a prolonged period of time if Boychuk was dealt and either Chara or Seidenberg was injured.

I am just not a fan of dealing Boychuk, I would deal McQuaid first and I know that doesn't clear up much cap space but if they decide to keep Iginla he is likely to be a little cheaper on his next deal. Maybe even enough to cover the raise Boychuk would get. If they moved Kelly, Campbell, and Thornton doesn't come back and they fill those spots with guys making near league minimum or rookies they will save plenty of cap space I think.
They could fill out their bottom 6 with AHL guys, sure, but they wouldn't be winning a Cup that way. No one wants to get rid of Boychuk, and you are right that he has really stepped it up. However, this is a team that has developed D well (Boychuk and Seidenberg for instance), and has young D in the pipeline. They don't have crap for NHL ready young forwards except for Spooner. Its just good asset management. Also, I'm not sure I agree on your Iginla speculation with that cap going up.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:16 PM
chizzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
You can keep Boychuck for next year (probably but it's tough), but signing him long term just isn't going to happen unless you really want to make sacrifices in other areas.

Krug is going to get a hug boost in salary in the offseason, I'm sure some on this board would let him go, but I doubt the bruins will. If the Bruins go short term with Krug they might be able to get him for 3 mill AAV, but I kind of expect it will be higher even on a short term deal.

The next year the Bruins have to deal with Hamilton, and Dougie's next deal will resemble Seguins

Can you really have a defense with Chara at 6.9, Seids at 4.25, Hamilton at 5, Krug at 3.5 and Boychuck at 5.5?
Hamilton at 5? I don't think so. Has to show a lot more.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 10:20 AM
wintersej

Fluto used Girardi's contract as a comparable in the Globe today.

Girardi is a little better, but Boychuk will get his deal under a higher cap. 6yr 5.5yr is what Girardi got.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...campaign=sm_tw

Old
03-23-2014, 11:18 AM
bruins2011

i hope pc gets us some extra picks at the 14 draft

bruins2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:20 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersej View Post
Fluto used Girardi's contract as a comparable in the Globe today.

Girardi is a little better, but Boychuk will get his deal under a higher cap. 6yr 5.5yr is what Girardi got.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...campaign=sm_tw
If that's what JB is looking for, I'd pass, provided the B's feel Sides can come back 100%. The emergence of some of these young guys makes Boychuk expendable at that money.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:25 AM
QC
Visionary.

vCash: 1000
Dougie is not asking for 5m.. trust me.

QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 11:50 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC View Post
Dougie is not asking for 5m.. trust me.
Nope, his agent is

Dougie probably comes in around 3 per for 2 years

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 01:52 PM
wintersej

Honestly, I'd be tempted to go long term with Dougie now instead of a bridge. Something like the Tyler Myers deal. 7 years @ 5.5. He would be overpaid the first few years, but would be a great deal down the road.

Old
03-23-2014, 04:26 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Honestly, I'd be tempted to go long term with Dougie now instead of a bridge. Something like the Tyler Myers deal. 7 years @ 5.5. He would be overpaid the first few years, but would be a great deal down the road.
That is the debate, do you want to go cheap, and pay through the nose later or do you want to try and sign him long term and save a lot of money down the road, but overpay for the first 2 years

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

We just tried that....PC traded the guy before Je even played a second under the contract and our fans flooded the main board saying it was for "cap reasons"

Old
03-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
That is the debate, do you want to go cheap, and pay through the nose later or do you want to try and sign him long term and save a lot of money down the road, but overpay for the first 2 years
With this team between Smith, Hamilton, Soda, and Krug one of them you need to go high early, pick witch one. The other three get at fair and know your losing one in a few years.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
If that's what JB is looking for, I'd pass, provided the B's feel Sides can come back 100%. The emergence of some of these young guys makes Boychuk expendable at that money.

If the rumors were true and Boston almost landing Edler, makes me wonder if there is some concern about his recovery.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 50
With the Chara window closing you don't overpay Dougie for the next few years..

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:06 PM
finchster

Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
If the rumors were true and Boston almost landing Edler, makes me wonder if there is some concern about his recovery.
Yeah, it's not like Edler was a rental, he's locked up for 5 more seasons. That illustrates they want to change 'the core' to me.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:13 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
We just tried that....PC traded the guy before Je even played a second under the contract and our fans flooded the main board saying it was for "cap reasons"
He is playing under that contract. Right now. If you don't think money wasn't one of the motivators for trading him, then you're fooling yourself.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
bearcountry17

vCash: 160
I highly doubt the Bruins could afford to give Boychuk much of a raise and would be fine with just riding out his contract and letting him walk in free agency. Maybe if Miller or Bart have a crazy postseason and some team wants to drastically overpay for him I'd be fine with moving him, I just think he's too important to trade for futures.

Chara Sieds
Dougie Boychuk
Miller Krug

That is a championship caliber defense and I wouldn't want to weaken our chances at a cup next season for the chance of Boychuk's return becoming an asset for the future down the line. I would move Mcquaid and/or Bart for some picks or maybe a Kelly replacement if he gets traded/bought out in the offseason. Then promote Trotman and Morrow as 7th dmen/injury call-ups.

Last edited by bearcountry17: 03-23-2014 at 09:21 PM.
bearcountry17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:19 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Edler is terrible. His contract his terrible, his play is terrible....I dislike everything about him as a player. If Chiarelli gives up a lot to get him we will regret it.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
He is playing under that contract. Right now. If you don't think money wasn't one of the motivators for trading him, then you're fooling yourself.
It wasn't really to save money but to spend it elsewhere to get a better team.

It worked.

As for Boychuk, he's a goner for sure. No way the B's will be able to keep him at the money it would take. Unless Seids is the one who goes...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:10 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Yeah, it's not like Edler was a rental, he's locked up for 5 more seasons. That illustrates they want to change 'the core' to me.
Edler and Sides completely different type of d-men and I don't see that the recovery has anything to do with Edler, given how much time is left on his contract?

As far as the "core" comment goes...Chara is not going to be around forever and Sides and Boychuk are both on the wrong side of 30. The only other Top pair guy (potential) they have is Hamilton. If JB was looking for something in the 5 mil neighborhood, why would you not try to go get the younger Edler for the same $$$?

And while I don't get to see Edler that often, I thought he was pretty damned impressive in the 2011 playoffs before he got hurt. I don't think he sucks at all and would be very good in Boston.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2014, 07:20 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcountry17 View Post
You really need to let it go man, i feel like I'm seeing this crap from you everywhere and it's certainly off the topic...
From me?? You're reading the wrong guy my friend.

But I'm curious to know why it's off topic? Is it not a comparable contract? Is it not going the alternative route to a bridge deal EXACTLY like what was just mentioned before that post?

Or are you talking about it being off topic because we're talking about Dougie Hamilton in the Johnny Boychuk thread?

Or are we just not mature enough to handle the words "tyler" and "seguin" in the same sentence?

Either way...to the ON TOPIC point I was making...Chia just had an issue less than a year ago with the last time he decided to skip the bridge contract and go larger money for a longer duration. I doubt we'd see it again...even though Dougie is cut from a completely different cloth than the one that some posters can't handle speaking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I know, I was talking about playing under it for the Bruins...which he didn't. Ever. Figured that didn't really need to be spelled out word for word, but alas... As far as the trade..I don't, I believe it was for many other reasons, reasons which I'm completely on board with...but I guess I give Chia a little more credit for being able to handle the cap situation than that...

Either way, that is a debate which would be off topic.

Old
03-23-2014, 09:22 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
I'd trad him first.

He'd done nothing to show yes worth anywhere mere that yet

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote