Notices

Flames acquire Phillip Sauve

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
PapaBear*

vCash: 500
Flames acquire Phillip Sauve

The Phillips Shaver to CGY, According to the FAN 960 in Calgary, for a conditional pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132931
----
uhh why? this guy flat out stinks. If Kipper goes down, I sure won't feel confident with him in goal.

Old
08-09-2005, 04:50 PM
kruezer

I don't know that I want him to backup Kipper either, but as an AHL depth guy he wouldn't be bad I guess, we could use one.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Jessie Lumsden

I think it's a great trade, we are giving up nothing to get him, only a seventh rounder next year. The guy could start 20 games for us next season.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
I think it's a great trade, we are giving up nothing to get him, only a seventh rounder next year. The guy could start 20 games for us next season.
He could very well start 20 games or more netx year for the Flames BUT will he be any good in those games is the question? Sauve has a lot of work ahead of him as a NHL goalie..that is certain.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Sauve may not be great, but considering what Sutter got him for, what's the harm? He is still young, and giving him a chance to work with Marcoux may help steer his development in the right direction. This could prove to be another very good trade for the Flames. My guess, is that Sutter will give him a shot during the pre-season to prove himself, and if he shows he is ready, then he should be the back-up. If not, I'm sure Sutter can find a proven vet back up if need be at any point in the season. Low risk, High reward deal I think.....

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
abracanada

If I remember correctly, Marcoux knows this guy very very well. Time for a little magic I think.

Old
08-09-2005, 06:43 PM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
He could very well start 20 games or more netx year for the Flames BUT will he be any good in those games is the question? Sauve has a lot of work ahead of him as a NHL goalie..that is certain.
exactly - just look how he performed last year with an allstar defense in front of him

Old
08-09-2005, 06:45 PM
PapaBear*

bring back poodles.

Old
08-09-2005, 08:25 PM
avalanche_country

Quote:
uhh why? this guy flat out stinks. If Kipper goes down, I sure won't feel confident with him in goal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
exactly - just look how he performed last year with an allstar defense in front of him

Old
08-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
If I remember correctly, Marcoux knows this guy very very well. Time for a little magic I think.
They were together when Sauve was in junior. In fact, it was Bob Sauve who suggested Marcoux to the Flames.

Old
08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
my question is why would the flames acquire a guy, who in his his last game in the nhl got blown out by you guessed it the calgary flames

maybe they blew him out so that they could get him cheap later on

Old
08-09-2005, 09:41 PM
tm

Related to this: have any of you Calgarians heard if Turek has officially announced his intentions yet? Last I read was in an article late last week, where Sutter said he was supposed to find out by Monday - a few days ago.
BTW, as for my two cents on the subject, I think it was a great pickup. Sure, Suave didn't fare well in his first year as a backup but not a lot of goalies do. He'll come around, it was probably nerves more than anything. He's always been very highly rated, from my readings. And getting him for only a 7th rounder was a steal!

Old
08-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Phaneuf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
my question is why would the flames acquire a guy, who in his his last game in the nhl got blown out by you guessed it the calgary flames

Even Oliwa got a goal!! Then he gave it to the Avs bench.

Old
08-10-2005, 01:53 AM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
The guy could start 20 games for us next season.
EVEN I could start 20 games for the Flames next season.

I wouldn't win one, but I could START 20.

Old
08-10-2005, 02:04 AM
swo2k1

The guy had one bad season and everyone is writing him off already. The price to bring him in was right, and if he doesn't work out then nothing was really lost.

Lets not forget Kippers numbers were pretty brutal the season before the Flames brought him in.

I'm not saying Sauve will be the next Kipper, but you can't write a guy off after 17 career games. It was not so long ago Sauve was being praised as one of the best goalie prospects out there.

Good trade for Calgary, and if Sauve can turn it around, then Sutter looks like a genious again. And if he can't? Well then we are out one conditional 7th round pick...

Old
08-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
The Phillips Shaver to CGY, According to the FAN 960 in Calgary, for a conditional pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132931
----
"Quick, gotta open this thread on the Flames board! Maybe they won't notice that I was scooped on the Trade Rumors board!"

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=160643

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL

"Gotta post the exact same post on both the Trade Rumors and Flames board, so that EVERYBODY can see how funny I am!"

Old
08-10-2005, 07:58 AM
abracanada

Article regarding Sauve.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...66478-sun.html

Old
08-10-2005, 11:59 AM
KingofSpain

I think most of you are being too harsh on the guy. His season wasn't all bad, although his game(s?) against the Flames was not the ideal way to make a first impression. He's still young and was a highly regarded prospect not too long ago. He definitely adds depth to a weakness and could be a steal, just give him a chance. Worst that happens is we lost a 7th round pick. Oh no! There goes the farm. I personally like the deal, and have faith that Sutter once again worked some magic.

Old
08-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Freddie Mercury
4-93-14

vCash: 1258
Are you guys finnaly going to get rid of Turek now? No offence intended, but he has been below average for the last couple of years. He is also way overpaid, unless he recently signed a new contract in the $750 000 dollar range that I am not aware about.

Old
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Jessie Lumsden

Turek has announced that he will stay in Europe this year.

Closed Thread