HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Simon Despres

Old
02-18-2014, 10:04 PM
DrDangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Absolutely not. Not a chance. Rental Vanek whose odds of resigning is nil is not worth a Top 4 ELC PMD and a 1st.

For Okposo though...
Not only would the Isles never deal us Okposo, in the rare circumstance they do it would take a lot more than Despres as the main piece going back.

Think more like Maatta +

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:10 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Don't worry, I'm a die-hard Habs fan and a homer, but I wouldn't ever ask Despres + Bennett.

If you had a Bennett-lite type prospect, I'd absolutely ask that.

Despres is a good start. I think futures are the best option for adding, if you are willing to part with any.
Bennett lite might be a guy like Kuhnhackl, but he is pretty bang or bust. He's definitely a complimentary guy, doesn't create his own offense but can feed off a good center very well. I doubt he makes the show, however.

Outside of Megna I don't know who we would have to offer. We have Gibbons, but I doubt you guys would be looking for another undersized heart and soul type winger. If you're looking for another player back with Despres that can help immediately and still has room to grow, it's Megna.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:17 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
Bennett lite might be a guy like Kuhnhackl, but he is pretty bang or bust. He's definitely a complimentary guy, doesn't create his own offense but can feed off a good center very well. I doubt he makes the show, however.

Outside of Megna I don't know who we would have to offer. We have Gibbons, but I doubt you guys would be looking for another undersized heart and soul type winger. If you're looking for another player back with Despres that can help immediately and still has room to grow, it's Megna.
For the first bit, you had me up until you said you doubt he makes the NHL.

I totally understand you not having the right players offer. For Gallagher, we're looking for an overpayment. I know that Maatta is off the table - he's the ideal target for Gally. Despres would need to come with a plus for Montreal to move him, but I'm wondering whether or not any Pittsburgh plus is the right fit for Montreal. No doubt you have a ton of valuable pieces, but I'm not sure we're great trading partners.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitonti View Post
FLA:
-Depres

PIT:
-Boyes
-Gilbert

Both UFA rentals with low cap hits, playing pretty well for a **** team
Pass. The Pens need to either turn Despres into a long-term solution of the wing or just keep him since he can be a long-term solution for them on D. The only rental to even consider moving him for would be someone like Vanek. I think it would cost more than Despres for Vanek. Probably a 1st + Despres. I am not for that move for various reasons. We need a RW, Vanek primarily is a LW. We also have no shot at re-signing Vanek which makes paying so much for him less attractive, imo.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitonti View Post
FLA:
-Depres

PIT:
-Boyes
-Gilbert

Both UFA rentals with low cap hits, playing pretty well for a **** team
Pens have no use at all for Gilbert since they would only move Despres in the first place because they have too many defensemen, nor could they afford to take on this much salary for a guy on an ELC who isn't even on the roster currently. Despres would be overpayment for just Boyes. I'm not sure they'd be interested in dealing him for rentals at all, tbh. A trade for a forward of similar age/skill/NHL readiness would be the preference.

I think the Pens & Panthers could make good trading partners, just not this particular deal.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 10:33 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
For the first bit, you had me up until you said you doubt he makes the NHL.

I totally understand you not having the right players offer. For Gallagher, we're looking for an overpayment. I know that Maatta is off the table - he's the ideal target for Gally. Despres would need to come with a plus for Montreal to move him, but I'm wondering whether or not any Pittsburgh plus is the right fit for Montreal. No doubt you have a ton of valuable pieces, but I'm not sure we're great trading partners.
What I mean is that he is a boom or bust guy, and those guys usually don't pan out so I'm not holding my breath on him. We also have Anton Zlobin, kind of forgot about him, I'm not sure he would be what the Habs are looking for though.

I think Montreal building a package for Despres would more accurately meet each team's needs. It all depends on if Niskanen if retained or not. If Nisky stays I'd like to see Despres moved for his own sake so he can actually get the ice time he deserves.

In that scenario I think Collberg + a 2nd would be fair.

Old
02-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoAvs View Post
How about our good friend PA Parenteau
If not can I interest you in Jamie Mcginn
Parenteau is a solid player, but I'd imagine the Pens would want a younger top six option if they're dealing Despres, even if they needed to add.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:18 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
What I mean is that he is a boom or bust guy, and those guys usually don't pan out so I'm not holding my breath on him. We also have Anton Zlobin, kind of forgot about him, I'm not sure he would be what the Habs are looking for though.

I think Montreal building a package for Despres would more accurately meet each team's needs. It all depends on if Niskanen if retained or not. If Nisky stays I'd like to see Despres moved for his own sake so he can actually get the ice time he deserves.

In that scenario I think Collberg + a 2nd would be fair.
I'm a fan of Collberg (and I'm a homer) and I still think he's got a good future in the NHL, but I'd take that offer. Despres can help us now and in the future, while Collberg can help us in the future. His upside is certainly a top 6 sniper, but he's had a pretty mediocre year and been given terrible opportunities.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Gerbefied
Save Us Tierney!

Despres for Wingels? Picks or prospects to even it out?

Gerbefied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
Would even give you your second back from Murray trade

Nolan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
The Pens need wingers to help make a playoff push and for the future. He is easily in most top 6 and in some top 4. Despres is a two-way Dman, great size and skater, ready for an NHL role now and projects as a good top 4 Dman.

So what does your team offer for Simon Despres?

The Pens DO NOT need ANY defense at ALL.

Kunitz-Crosby-XXXXX
XXXXX-Geno-Neal

Agreed HF Deals-
Despres for Chassion
No thanks to Chiasson, I would rather hang on to Despres and I think he'll get some time up again while Letang is out.

A GM would have to be stupid to trade a kid that plays like a top 4, his biggest problem is that he's able to pass through waivers, that's his problem, nothing else. Unless some 1st line young winger is offered, no thanks and Chiasson is definitely not that. I'd rather keep Simon and have him be a regular next year when Orpik is gone.

For this year, Jokinen on L2 LW has worked, for L1 RW, Beau and Gibby can sort it out with Megna, then in the summer, see if the Pens can talk to Moulson or Vanek. There is no reason to trade a kid like Despres right now. There's no dire need to move him because of space because he can play in the AHL and he's always showing so much improvement.

So put me in the group that does NOT want Despres moved, for logic.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 05:52 AM
Vokouna Maattata
I LOVE OLLI MAATTA

If I'm going to move Despres (which I don't really want to), it's for a going top-9 winger like Chiasson or Palmieri. He's not being traded for a pending UFA (or 2 pending UFAs)

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 06:48 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
Pens can't add Vanek's salary. Acquiring him for a player on an ELC is out of the question.
Not picking on you here, but there's a reason why they're waiting for the TDL to make a deal. Trust me, they'll make it work out, it's only a quarter of their salary then and if the other team retains some salary for a price (pick) it's easily done.

We're not as strapped as some would think after the Olympics, and anything in the 5.0 range is well within their range considering it's roughly only 1.250 give or take and then retention added in.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Michael8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by orby View Post
Pens can't add Vanek's salary. Acquiring him for a player on an ELC is out of the question.
Not if the Isles take 50% salary back.

Michael8771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:10 AM
AmeriHab

Louis LeBlanc and a 2nd. Leblanc struggled a year with the ankle but he's been better this year and can play a top 9 role

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
Not to sure tbh. Despres is probably worth about PAP. Not to sure about PAP as dumb as it sounds. But I imagine maybe

Despres
2nd

for

PAP. You sold?
Awful for the Pens. Pens new slogan is "Just say NO to Parenteau"

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:37 AM
staalgood

Would Pittsburgh be interested in Jiri Tlusty for Despres?

Tlusty has struggled some this year (took him a while to get going from the shoulder injury in the preseason), but he could play in the top 6, has a pretty low cap hit and is a RFA at the end of the year. And if he doesn't fit the top 6 in Pittsburgh, he has history playing with Brandon Sutter, so at minimum he could improve the Penguins 3rd line.

staalgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Vokouna Maattata
I LOVE OLLI MAATTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by staalgood View Post
Would Pittsburgh be interested in Jiri Tlusty for Despres?

Tlusty has struggled some this year (took him a while to get going from the shoulder injury in the preseason), but he could play in the top 6, has a pretty low cap hit and is a RFA at the end of the year. And if he doesn't fit the top 6 in Pittsburgh, he has history playing with Brandon Sutter, so at minimum he could improve the Penguins 3rd line.
I like Tlusty, but I'm not moving Despres for him. He's in the same boat as McGinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Louis LeBlanc and a 2nd. Leblanc struggled a year with the ankle but he's been better this year and can play a top 9 role
Lol no, this sucks horribly.

Vokouna Maattata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Michael8771

Palmieri for Despres.

Michael8771 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
ManofSteel55

2nd round pick is all I'd offer. Depres has never proven that he's an NHL regular, I think teams would be much more willing to move assets for experienced defensemen right now, even if they are less talented.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
2nd round pick is all I'd offer. Depres has never proven that he's an NHL regular, I think teams would be much more willing to move assets for experienced defensemen right now, even if they are less talented.
Yes, he has. That's why pretty much every Pens fan is apoplectic that he's in the AHL.

Anyway, keep the 2nd rounder. Pens would be better off not trading Despres (I hope they don't) and playing him in the top six next year. Which is where he should be this year.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:12 PM
mpp9

Quote:
He'd be playing in your top 4 right now. Hell, he should be playing in our top 4 over Orpik.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:43 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
He'd be playing in your top 4 right now. Hell, he should be playing in our top 4 over Orpik.
Being in our top four isn't a feat of greatness, its a testament to how bad we are. His value doesn't go up just because he would beat out other AHL'ers for a job. I don't think Pittsburgh trades him, they'll need a replacement for Niskanen/Orpik should they lose both of them. And I don't think he's worth all that much, he hasn't proven much, as I said earlier. He's a fringe NHL/AHL'er with some upside. But if he was as good as Pens fans think, he would be a full time NHL'er.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Gerbefied
Save Us Tierney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanTheGinge View Post
Any pens fans care to comment on the basis of this deal?

Gerbefied is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:50 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Being in our top four isn't a feat of greatness, its a testament to how bad we are. His value doesn't go up just because he would beat out other AHL'ers for a job. I don't think Pittsburgh trades him, they'll need a replacement for Niskanen/Orpik should they lose both of them. And I don't think he's worth all that much, he hasn't proven much, as I said earlier. He's a fringe NHL/AHL'er with some upside. But if he was as good as Pens fans think, he would be a full time NHL'er.
I'm fine hanging onto him. Just stating he'd be a big upgrade for your blue line. And his value is far more than a 2nd round pick. He's a former 1st rounder who's NHL ready with an elite level transition game and excellent skating in a 6'4 220 lb body.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote