HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
It's been proven many times that there is enough minutes in a game to satisfy Duchene, Stastny, MacKinnon lines. Especially if a forward or two can play the point on PP.
I don't think that's been proven, and probably won't be even by the end of the year. It's not a big enough sample size, and Nate has spent too much time at wing to really tell. Early on when Nate was playing all his games at center, he wasn't clicking as well as he has later in the year where he's spent a lot of time at wing, and with quality linemates like Staz and Landy.

The linemates issue is just as big a deal as the minutes issue. Nate has played a lot with Mtichell and Talbot when he's at center, and it's a waste of his, Pauls, and Duchene's talents if those are the linemates that one of them gets stuck with.

Having all three play center may work, but it will be tricky, and they may need to add another top six capable forward to get it to work, not move one. I think it's more likely Nate sticks at wing if Stastny is re-signed.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

The more I think about it, I think my main issue is that I really don't want Stastny re-signed at more than $6M/yr. That's why I was hoping they would negotiate with him during the season and if they weren't close to a deal, they could trade him at the deadline. With the ridiculous contracts that get handed out in free agency, we'll likely have to overpay to keep Stastny or lose him for nothing.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
The more I think about it, I think my main issue is that I really don't want Stastny re-signed at more than $6M/yr. That's why I was hoping they would negotiate with him during the season and if they weren't close to a deal, they could trade him at the deadline. With the ridiculous contracts that get handed out in free agency, we'll likely have to overpay to keep Stastny or lose him for nothing.
We were never going to get Staz for less than 6mil.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
There's a 5 day window now because they know every team tampered anyways. The players and agents knew well before July 1st what kind of contract they would get from other teams. I guess now they could return to their current team and say "I'm getting offered this, will you match?" but personally I don't think this window makes much of a difference.
Teams were warned last year that they weren't allowed to talk numbers during that period. Whether or not they complied, or found some creative way to let it be known is another story.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Avalanche

Dater doing some work?

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 1m
Ryan Kesler has NOT requested a trade, his agent Kurt Overhardt tells me. Says reports saying so are "BS"

Old
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think that's been proven, and probably won't be even by the end of the year. It's not a big enough sample size, and Nate has spent too much time at wing to really tell. Early on when Nate was playing all his games at center, he wasn't clicking as well as he has later in the year where he's spent a lot of time at wing, and with quality linemates like Staz and Landy.

The linemates issue is just as big a deal as the minutes issue. Nate has played a lot with Mtichell and Talbot when he's at center, and it's a waste of his, Pauls, and Duchene's talents if those are the linemates that one of them gets stuck with.

Having all three play center may work, but it will be tricky, and they may need to add another top six capable forward to get it to work, not move one. I think it's more likely Nate sticks at wing if Stastny is re-signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71
The "right now" part is a bit misleading. It is not as if there is forwards who are getting minimal ice time who will take time from Stastny in the future.

O'Reilly- 19:33
Landeskog- 18:35
Stastny- 18:31
Duchene- 18:18
MacKinnon- 16:25

That is the big forward core right there. Everyone there is getting plenty of ice time. The only player who will need an increase (in the future) is MacKinnon. Then after that there is Tanguay, McGinn, and Parenteau.

Parenteau 17:20
Tanguay 17:16
McGinn 15:02

When MacKinnon needs extra ice there is minutes to take from Mitchell (15:46), who does not need to be playing that much.

Not to mention with the way this team is taking shape, the Avs will probably only have Barrie and EJ as defencemen playing PP minutes. That leaves space to take more PP minutes from Benoit (2:25) and Holden (1:16).

And lastly, no team will ever be perfectly healthy for a long stretch. Odds are that even though the Avs would have 7 or 8 top six forwards, only six or so will be healthy at any given time, as shown by how this season has already played out.

There is plenty of ice time and cash to keep everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfe2015
I would have thought by now after a couple years of this being thrown around on these boards we could have purged this mentality... but alas, no.

Top 6 minutes are ~18-20 minutes a game, no?

So Stastny, a PP and PK potential player who will always be on one of the top 3 lines, will surely be able to see anywhere from 18-22 minutes a game regardless of his line. He can get PP time, PK time, ES time and excel wherever.

On top of that, the other lines can also get 18-22 minutes a game while our 4th line gets ~8 minutes a game.

All due to PP/PK/ES times.

No reason to assume Staz can't get good minutes on our team going forward, especially if ROR and MacK continue to adjust to wing as well as they have.
These were from back in January.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
You know, I often find myself wondering if you are this huge John Mitchell fan, or if you are some sort of internet hipster and it is your wondrously thick irony that is confusing me.
I have been hired by the Avalanche to spread the good word of Mitchell. To temper expectations, and warm people up to the extension that is coming. It isn't glamorous work, but it is work.

I don't love John Mitchell. But he isn't half as bad as people make him out to be. I defended Clark when he was here too. Not because he was a good player, but because he was made a whipping boy that everyone would blow up over every mistake. I think Mitchell adds a lot of value to the team, and versatility. And Roy seems to trust him.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
These were from back in January.
As I mentioned though, it's an issue of role, and linemates. These are different than minutes, and I don't think it's clear how either would play out over the long haul if Stastny is signed.

Maybe it will, but I don't think the brief time this year where Nate has bounced back and forth between center and wing, and had his production peak a few months into the season, is enough to say it's proven it will work.

Old
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Avs71

Quote:
As I mentioned though, it's an issue of role, and linemates. These are different than minutes, and I don't think it's clear how either would play out over the long haul if Stastny is signed.

Maybe it will, but I don't think the brief time this year where Nate has bounced back and forth between center and wing, and had his production peak a few months into the season, is enough to say it's proven it will work.
Totally agree on the linemates comment. I'm not sure what percentage of that ice time he would have good linemates, but if the Avs have a skilled team like they do now, then I wouldn't worry. But you're right, it could be Sacco era esque for him on a few shifts. Also not sure if Stastny would be fine with 3 of his 18 minutes coming from the PK, or some break down like that. However, I think as long he is playing a valuable role in an offensive system (just pointing out how he used to contrast Roy's and Sacco's system often in early interviews), while putting up 55+ points, he would be happy.

I think it will come down to 1) The Avs wanting him back. 2) Stastny getting somewhere close to the deal he wants. 3) Role.

Role being last because if it doesn't work out, as long as he has his contract he could happily traded later.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Totally agree on the linemates comment. I'm not sure what percentage of that ice time he would have good linemates, but if the Avs have a skilled team like they do now, then I wouldn't worry. But you're right, it could be Sacco era esque for him on a few shifts. Also not sure if Stastny would be fine with 3 of his 18 minutes coming from the PK, or some break down like that. However, I think as long he is playing a valuable role in an offensive system (just pointing out how he used to contrast Roy's and Sacco's system often in early interviews), while putting up 55+ points, he would be happy.

I think it will come down to 1) The Avs wanting him back. 2) Stastny getting somewhere close to the deal he wants. 3) Role.

Role being last because if it doesn't work out, as long as he has his contract he could happily traded later.
On the other side of things, the good news is that nothing so far has proven they can't go with all three at center. It's not clear for the reasons I mentioned if that would work as well over a longer period of time, but all three have had pretty good offensive seasons so far.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:07 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

So after tonights game, it just seems like we've seen too many soft performances from Jiggy this year. Sure doesn't seem like they would look to gamble on him being solid when he's a year older.

May be a bit risky to trust Aitto or Pickard as backups at this stage, but you never know.

Not a whole lot of great names for backups this year as UFA's either. Tim Thomas, Ray Emery, Jonas Gustavsson seem like the best bets, but not great ones. Not sure what Emery's attitude is like these days, but doesn't seem like he'd be the best fit with a guy like Varly. Thomas is a weirdo too, but he's at least a vet with a lot of experience. He'll probably want to be a starter somewhere though. Gustavsson didn't seem to work too well with Allaire in Toronto.

Not sure what they're going to do for a backup next year. Maybe they'll have to keep Jiggy another year out of necessity, and then go with one of the young guys.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:12 AM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

Quote:
Not sure what they're going to do for a backup next year. Maybe they'll have to keep Jiggy another year out of necessity, and then go with one of the young guys.
I can't see Roy having the confidence in Jiggy for another season.
Either he takes a chance and gives one of our prospects the job or we will sign some journeyman to back Varly.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I can't see Roy having the confidence in Jiggy for another season.
Either he takes a chance and gives one of our prospects the job or we will sign some journeyman to back Varly.
The list of journeymen and backups don't look that great this year though. Maybe Vokoun if he can get healthy and rebound from his blood clot down the stretch.

Justin Peters maybe? Haven't watched him at all really, but he's got decent numbers. 21 games, 2.50 GAA, .919 save %. Turns 28 in the summer. First year where he's had decent numbers in the NHL though.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...G&fa_type_id=2

Old
02-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Dutchy9

Al Montoya becomes a UFA at the end of the season. Seems like a good and cheap pick up for next year.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy9 View Post
Al Montoya becomes a UFA at the end of the season. Seems like a good and cheap pick up for next year.
He might be decent. Having a solid season. 18 games, 2.18 GAA, .925%. Just turned 29.

I'd bet he wouldn't hate leaving Winnipeg either.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

Quote:
The list of journeymen and backups don't look that great this year though. Maybe Vokoun if he can get healthy and rebound from his blood clot down the stretch.
Greiss, Montoya, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Macdonald.

Not the best group no, but still some fine back-ups.
I doubt thought that Khudobin gets to UFA.

Old
02-27-2014, 01:51 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Greiss, Montoya, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Macdonald.

Not the best group no, but still some fine back-ups.
I doubt thought that Khudobin gets to UFA.
Khudobin would be an awesome pickup if he made it to UFA. I've become very disappointed in Giguere, play has really bottomed out since November.

I'm very intrigued as to what the Avalanche will do for the deadline. They don't have a lot of moveable parts right now, but have some very glaring holes in their roster.

Old
02-27-2014, 02:23 AM
BrickAHL
Not actually a brick

So are we trading for Brodeur or Miller?

Old
02-27-2014, 03:34 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Buffalo wants a top offensive prospect in return. We don't have any of those so no Miller.

Sami and Pickard can't consistently play decent in the AHL. I doubt they'd be anywhere near ready even next season.

Old
02-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

I'd target Greiss, Scrivens, Khudobin (I doubt Canes will let him go, I think they prefer him to Ward) and Montoya.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have been hired by the Avalanche to spread the good word of Mitchell. To temper expectations, and warm people up to the extension that is coming. It isn't glamorous work, but it is work.

I don't love John Mitchell. But he isn't half as bad as people make him out to be. I defended Clark when he was here too. Not because he was a good player, but because he was made a whipping boy that everyone would blow up over every mistake. I think Mitchell adds a lot of value to the team, and versatility. And Roy seems to trust him.
Dude could not stay on his skates last night, fell down twice with the puck when nobody was around him. He is no better than a 4th line player, and gets heckled in these parts because he's being asked to do more than he is capable of doing.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!

vCash: 103
Did anyone get called up because of Tangs hitting the IR? I hope some kid from the monsters can take PA's spot in the top 6.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Avs71

Kulemin likely to be traded, and looking for 4 million a season? Per Dreger. Not sure if the 4 million part was Dreger or the OP speculating, but yikes that's a lot of cash for a grinder.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Huis Clos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Deadpool View Post
Did anyone get called up because of Tangs hitting the IR? I hope some kid from the monsters can take PA's spot in the top 6.
There is no forward in Lake Erie that can touch Parenteau's production. Awful idea.

Old
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Kulemin likely to be traded, and looking for 4 million a season? Per Dreger. Not sure if the 4 million part was Dreger or the OP speculating, but yikes that's a lot of cash for a grinder.
He's not even on pace for 30 pts.

Closed Thread