HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
  #601
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
It's been proven many times that there is enough minutes in a game to satisfy Duchene, Stastny, MacKinnon lines. Especially if a forward or two can play the point on PP.
I don't think that's been proven, and probably won't be even by the end of the year. It's not a big enough sample size, and Nate has spent too much time at wing to really tell. Early on when Nate was playing all his games at center, he wasn't clicking as well as he has later in the year where he's spent a lot of time at wing, and with quality linemates like Staz and Landy.

The linemates issue is just as big a deal as the minutes issue. Nate has played a lot with Mtichell and Talbot when he's at center, and it's a waste of his, Pauls, and Duchene's talents if those are the linemates that one of them gets stuck with.

Having all three play center may work, but it will be tricky, and they may need to add another top six capable forward to get it to work, not move one. I think it's more likely Nate sticks at wing if Stastny is re-signed.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
  #602
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,900
vCash: 500
The more I think about it, I think my main issue is that I really don't want Stastny re-signed at more than $6M/yr. That's why I was hoping they would negotiate with him during the season and if they weren't close to a deal, they could trade him at the deadline. With the ridiculous contracts that get handed out in free agency, we'll likely have to overpay to keep Stastny or lose him for nothing.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:23 PM
  #603
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wrocław
Country: Poland
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
The more I think about it, I think my main issue is that I really don't want Stastny re-signed at more than $6M/yr. That's why I was hoping they would negotiate with him during the season and if they weren't close to a deal, they could trade him at the deadline. With the ridiculous contracts that get handed out in free agency, we'll likely have to overpay to keep Stastny or lose him for nothing.
We were never going to get Staz for less than 6mil.

Nzap is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
  #604
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
There's a 5 day window now because they know every team tampered anyways. The players and agents knew well before July 1st what kind of contract they would get from other teams. I guess now they could return to their current team and say "I'm getting offered this, will you match?" but personally I don't think this window makes much of a difference.
Teams were warned last year that they weren't allowed to talk numbers during that period. Whether or not they complied, or found some creative way to let it be known is another story.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:52 PM
  #605
Avalanche
Registered User
 
Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cornwall
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 500
Dater doing some work?

Adrian Dater ‏@adater 1m
Ryan Kesler has NOT requested a trade, his agent Kurt Overhardt tells me. Says reports saying so are "BS"

Avalanche is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:56 PM
  #606
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't think that's been proven, and probably won't be even by the end of the year. It's not a big enough sample size, and Nate has spent too much time at wing to really tell. Early on when Nate was playing all his games at center, he wasn't clicking as well as he has later in the year where he's spent a lot of time at wing, and with quality linemates like Staz and Landy.

The linemates issue is just as big a deal as the minutes issue. Nate has played a lot with Mtichell and Talbot when he's at center, and it's a waste of his, Pauls, and Duchene's talents if those are the linemates that one of them gets stuck with.

Having all three play center may work, but it will be tricky, and they may need to add another top six capable forward to get it to work, not move one. I think it's more likely Nate sticks at wing if Stastny is re-signed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71
The "right now" part is a bit misleading. It is not as if there is forwards who are getting minimal ice time who will take time from Stastny in the future.

O'Reilly- 19:33
Landeskog- 18:35
Stastny- 18:31
Duchene- 18:18
MacKinnon- 16:25

That is the big forward core right there. Everyone there is getting plenty of ice time. The only player who will need an increase (in the future) is MacKinnon. Then after that there is Tanguay, McGinn, and Parenteau.

Parenteau 17:20
Tanguay 17:16
McGinn 15:02

When MacKinnon needs extra ice there is minutes to take from Mitchell (15:46), who does not need to be playing that much.

Not to mention with the way this team is taking shape, the Avs will probably only have Barrie and EJ as defencemen playing PP minutes. That leaves space to take more PP minutes from Benoit (2:25) and Holden (1:16).

And lastly, no team will ever be perfectly healthy for a long stretch. Odds are that even though the Avs would have 7 or 8 top six forwards, only six or so will be healthy at any given time, as shown by how this season has already played out.

There is plenty of ice time and cash to keep everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfe2015
I would have thought by now after a couple years of this being thrown around on these boards we could have purged this mentality... but alas, no.

Top 6 minutes are ~18-20 minutes a game, no?

So Stastny, a PP and PK potential player who will always be on one of the top 3 lines, will surely be able to see anywhere from 18-22 minutes a game regardless of his line. He can get PP time, PK time, ES time and excel wherever.

On top of that, the other lines can also get 18-22 minutes a game while our 4th line gets ~8 minutes a game.

All due to PP/PK/ES times.

No reason to assume Staz can't get good minutes on our team going forward, especially if ROR and MacK continue to adjust to wing as well as they have.
These were from back in January.

Avs71 is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 10:01 PM
  #607
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
You know, I often find myself wondering if you are this huge John Mitchell fan, or if you are some sort of internet hipster and it is your wondrously thick irony that is confusing me.
I have been hired by the Avalanche to spread the good word of Mitchell. To temper expectations, and warm people up to the extension that is coming. It isn't glamorous work, but it is work.

I don't love John Mitchell. But he isn't half as bad as people make him out to be. I defended Clark when he was here too. Not because he was a good player, but because he was made a whipping boy that everyone would blow up over every mistake. I think Mitchell adds a lot of value to the team, and versatility. And Roy seems to trust him.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
  #608
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
These were from back in January.
As I mentioned though, it's an issue of role, and linemates. These are different than minutes, and I don't think it's clear how either would play out over the long haul if Stastny is signed.

Maybe it will, but I don't think the brief time this year where Nate has bounced back and forth between center and wing, and had his production peak a few months into the season, is enough to say it's proven it will work.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 10:14 PM
  #609
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
As I mentioned though, it's an issue of role, and linemates. These are different than minutes, and I don't think it's clear how either would play out over the long haul if Stastny is signed.

Maybe it will, but I don't think the brief time this year where Nate has bounced back and forth between center and wing, and had his production peak a few months into the season, is enough to say it's proven it will work.
Totally agree on the linemates comment. I'm not sure what percentage of that ice time he would have good linemates, but if the Avs have a skilled team like they do now, then I wouldn't worry. But you're right, it could be Sacco era esque for him on a few shifts. Also not sure if Stastny would be fine with 3 of his 18 minutes coming from the PK, or some break down like that. However, I think as long he is playing a valuable role in an offensive system (just pointing out how he used to contrast Roy's and Sacco's system often in early interviews), while putting up 55+ points, he would be happy.

I think it will come down to 1) The Avs wanting him back. 2) Stastny getting somewhere close to the deal he wants. 3) Role.

Role being last because if it doesn't work out, as long as he has his contract he could happily traded later.

Avs71 is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 11:08 PM
  #610
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Totally agree on the linemates comment. I'm not sure what percentage of that ice time he would have good linemates, but if the Avs have a skilled team like they do now, then I wouldn't worry. But you're right, it could be Sacco era esque for him on a few shifts. Also not sure if Stastny would be fine with 3 of his 18 minutes coming from the PK, or some break down like that. However, I think as long he is playing a valuable role in an offensive system (just pointing out how he used to contrast Roy's and Sacco's system often in early interviews), while putting up 55+ points, he would be happy.

I think it will come down to 1) The Avs wanting him back. 2) Stastny getting somewhere close to the deal he wants. 3) Role.

Role being last because if it doesn't work out, as long as he has his contract he could happily traded later.
On the other side of things, the good news is that nothing so far has proven they can't go with all three at center. It's not clear for the reasons I mentioned if that would work as well over a longer period of time, but all three have had pretty good offensive seasons so far.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:07 AM
  #611
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
So after tonights game, it just seems like we've seen too many soft performances from Jiggy this year. Sure doesn't seem like they would look to gamble on him being solid when he's a year older.

May be a bit risky to trust Aitto or Pickard as backups at this stage, but you never know.

Not a whole lot of great names for backups this year as UFA's either. Tim Thomas, Ray Emery, Jonas Gustavsson seem like the best bets, but not great ones. Not sure what Emery's attitude is like these days, but doesn't seem like he'd be the best fit with a guy like Varly. Thomas is a weirdo too, but he's at least a vet with a lot of experience. He'll probably want to be a starter somewhere though. Gustavsson didn't seem to work too well with Allaire in Toronto.

Not sure what they're going to do for a backup next year. Maybe they'll have to keep Jiggy another year out of necessity, and then go with one of the young guys.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:12 AM
  #612
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wrocław
Country: Poland
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Not sure what they're going to do for a backup next year. Maybe they'll have to keep Jiggy another year out of necessity, and then go with one of the young guys.
I can't see Roy having the confidence in Jiggy for another season.
Either he takes a chance and gives one of our prospects the job or we will sign some journeyman to back Varly.

Nzap is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:24 AM
  #613
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
I can't see Roy having the confidence in Jiggy for another season.
Either he takes a chance and gives one of our prospects the job or we will sign some journeyman to back Varly.
The list of journeymen and backups don't look that great this year though. Maybe Vokoun if he can get healthy and rebound from his blood clot down the stretch.

Justin Peters maybe? Haven't watched him at all really, but he's got decent numbers. 21 games, 2.50 GAA, .919 save %. Turns 28 in the summer. First year where he's had decent numbers in the NHL though.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...G&fa_type_id=2

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:25 AM
  #614
Dutchy9
Registered User
 
Dutchy9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Al Montoya becomes a UFA at the end of the season. Seems like a good and cheap pick up for next year.

Dutchy9 is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:30 AM
  #615
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 26,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy9 View Post
Al Montoya becomes a UFA at the end of the season. Seems like a good and cheap pick up for next year.
He might be decent. Having a solid season. 18 games, 2.18 GAA, .925%. Just turned 29.

I'd bet he wouldn't hate leaving Winnipeg either.

Mystic MacK is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:31 AM
  #616
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wrocław
Country: Poland
Posts: 7,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
The list of journeymen and backups don't look that great this year though. Maybe Vokoun if he can get healthy and rebound from his blood clot down the stretch.
Greiss, Montoya, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Macdonald.

Not the best group no, but still some fine back-ups.
I doubt thought that Khudobin gets to UFA.

Nzap is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 01:51 AM
  #617
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,996
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Greiss, Montoya, Khudobin, Gustavsson, Macdonald.

Not the best group no, but still some fine back-ups.
I doubt thought that Khudobin gets to UFA.
Khudobin would be an awesome pickup if he made it to UFA. I've become very disappointed in Giguere, play has really bottomed out since November.

I'm very intrigued as to what the Avalanche will do for the deadline. They don't have a lot of moveable parts right now, but have some very glaring holes in their roster.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 02:23 AM
  #618
BrickAHL
Not actually a brick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,305
vCash: 50
So are we trading for Brodeur or Miller?

BrickAHL is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 03:34 AM
  #619
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 41,571
vCash: 50
Buffalo wants a top offensive prospect in return. We don't have any of those so no Miller.

Sami and Pickard can't consistently play decent in the AHL. I doubt they'd be anywhere near ready even next season.

tigervixxxen is online now  
Old
02-27-2014, 04:11 AM
  #620
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 18,152
vCash: 50
I'd target Greiss, Scrivens, Khudobin (I doubt Canes will let him go, I think they prefer him to Ward) and Montoya.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 08:50 AM
  #621
niwotsblessing
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: People's Republic
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have been hired by the Avalanche to spread the good word of Mitchell. To temper expectations, and warm people up to the extension that is coming. It isn't glamorous work, but it is work.

I don't love John Mitchell. But he isn't half as bad as people make him out to be. I defended Clark when he was here too. Not because he was a good player, but because he was made a whipping boy that everyone would blow up over every mistake. I think Mitchell adds a lot of value to the team, and versatility. And Roy seems to trust him.
Dude could not stay on his skates last night, fell down twice with the puck when nobody was around him. He is no better than a 4th line player, and gets heckled in these parts because he's being asked to do more than he is capable of doing.

niwotsblessing is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
  #622
Pirate Deadpool
I hate Minnesota!
 
Pirate Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 103
Did anyone get called up because of Tangs hitting the IR? I hope some kid from the monsters can take PA's spot in the top 6.

Pirate Deadpool is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 09:35 AM
  #623
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Kulemin likely to be traded, and looking for 4 million a season? Per Dreger. Not sure if the 4 million part was Dreger or the OP speculating, but yikes that's a lot of cash for a grinder.

Avs71 is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 09:41 AM
  #624
Huis Clos*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Deadpool View Post
Did anyone get called up because of Tangs hitting the IR? I hope some kid from the monsters can take PA's spot in the top 6.
There is no forward in Lake Erie that can touch Parenteau's production. Awful idea.

Huis Clos* is offline  
Old
02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
  #625
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Kulemin likely to be traded, and looking for 4 million a season? Per Dreger. Not sure if the 4 million part was Dreger or the OP speculating, but yikes that's a lot of cash for a grinder.
He's not even on pace for 30 pts.

CB Joe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.