HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares (Torn MCL, Meniscus) ***Out For Season, NO Surgery Needed***

Old
02-20-2014, 06:13 PM
iLandHer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAzura View Post
The modern Olympics was always intended to be an amateur event.
And it should stay that way.
It's just too difficult as to where you draw the line on being an amateur vs a professional.

Quote:
And i agree, play in the freakin' summer!!!
I wonder if they've even discussed it as being an option. It's a bit ridiculous, since clearly it's a winter sport, but the NBA doesn't disrupt their season for it and I don't think the NHL should either. It would also allow for the teams to practice beforehand, which would only make the games more exciting to me.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

Bob Nicholson from team Canada talks a bit about Tavares injury.

Not much but he says Tavares is "down" about it...Who wouldn't be, but you still feel for our captain...

Its around the 4:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSVmoi5X7k4

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
A little different, I agree as the time to recover from injuries is longer, but you can still be injured for several months, or a year as we saw several players experience long term injuries.

Let me ask you this - if Tavares never gets injured in the O does Garf say any of what he said today? No, so he is a huge hypocrite.
He probably wouldn't say anything publicly, but i'm sure his opinion of the Olympics was still the same.

Let me ask you this...

Do you blame him for being upset?

DocAzura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
ichabod13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Now that Wang gets 5.5 million back from Tavares
wang does not get 5.5 million back. he gets back the pro-rated salary for tavares for the rest of the season---if tavares is out until the end---.

wang aint making a ****ing penny off the tavares injury. in fact, its the exact opposite.....he will lose money. no tavares playing on long island means about 6000 fans in the seats. even if theres 10000 fans in the seats, i doubt that would equal his payroll for that game.

wang didnt become a billionaire by being an idiot......

Last edited by PWJunior: 02-20-2014 at 06:51 PM.
ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:31 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post
It's just too difficult as to where you draw the line on being an amateur vs a professional.

I wonder if they've even discussed it as being an option. It's a bit ridiculous, since clearly it's a winter sport, but the NBA doesn't disrupt their season for it and I don't think the NHL should either. It would also allow for the teams to practice beforehand, which would only make the games more exciting to me.
They should just hold a tourney at the end of the season, this way they can give any injured player time to recover.

Old
02-20-2014, 06:53 PM
PJGooch

Suddenly team management is concerned about Islander fans getting their money's worth.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Suddenly team management is concerned about Islander fans getting their money's worth.
It has been 30 years in the making. Finally, some acknowledgement of a shafting.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:12 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
The modern Olympics was always intended to be an amateur event.
And it should stay that way.

Again, i'm not saying this 'cause JT got hurt, it's just smater that way.

And i agree, play in the freakin' summer!!!
No, it never was. It was first designed to keep the riff raff out so that the upper class twits could enjoy sports. Somewhere along the line it changed but for several decades it hasn't been about amateurs. Almost all the athletes from major team sports and individual sports are pros and have been for decades. There's few amateurs in winter Olympics. All the alpine skiers, cross-country and biathlon, ski jumpers etc. all have their own season long World Cup tours that allow them to make five to six figure sums during a season.

Summer Olympics are already congested enough and what city are you going find enough indoor arenas for all the team sports already there? Bettman asked former head of the IOC Juan Samaranch about the possibility 20 year ago and got a flat "no" as a response. NHL and NBA at the same Olympics? Good luck with getting any media attention...

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
StrongIslanders90

Wonder how John feels about his organizations first public comments being concerned about money...

Not about John coming back and supporting him and backing him 100% in his return from injury..

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:41 PM
missionAvs

Just saw the gif of the injury and wow, I feel extremely sorry for JT and the Islander's organization. Sucks to see such a talented young player go down like that. Hoping for a full recovery as soon as possible.

missionAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:02 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
He probably wouldn't say anything publicly, but i'm sure his opinion of the Olympics was still the same.

Let me ask you this...

Not at all. In fact, this is a nightmare for him.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:05 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichabod13 View Post
wang does not get 5.5 million back. he gets back the pro-rated salary for tavares for the rest of the season---if tavares is out until the end---.

wang aint making a ****ing penny off the tavares injury. in fact, its the exact opposite.....he will lose money. no tavares playing on long island means about 6000 fans in the seats. even if theres 10000 fans in the seats, i doubt that would equal his payroll for that game.

wang didnt become a billionaire by being an idiot......
Not true vs. the roster. We were close to the floor when you include the revenue sharing bonus money, so yes Wang saves money.

And it is to be determined what impact this will have on turnout. They were already entering another big slump... the attendance was dropping as is.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:10 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Not at all. In fact, this is a nightmare for him.
This is going to be more of a nightmare for the IOC, as it gives the NHL more of a reason for not returning in 4 years.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:12 PM
DocAzura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
No, it never was. It was first designed to keep the riff raff out so that the upper class twits could enjoy sports. Somewhere along the line it changed but for several decades it hasn't been about amateurs. Almost all the athletes from major team sports and individual sports are pros and have been for decades. There's few amateurs in winter Olympics. All the alpine skiers, cross-country and biathlon, ski jumpers etc. all have their own season long World Cup tours that allow them to make five to six figure sums during a season.

Summer Olympics are already congested enough and what city are you going find enough indoor arenas for all the team sports already there? Bettman asked former head of the IOC Juan Samaranch about the possibility 20 year ago and got a flat "no" as a response. NHL and NBA at the same Olympics? Good luck with getting any media attention...
You got a point sir.

Regardless, only Bettman would stop a season half way through, and risk player injuries, just to get attention.

Old
02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
KasparsHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post

They're talking about some type of World Cup of Hockey in the summer again, that way the NHL can find a way to have their hands in the money too.
As far as dividing amateur vs. professional--just do it the old way pre-NHL participation days. It was exciting to see old Isle prospects play in the Olympics before they joined the team--1992 Kaspar and Malakhov won the gold, while Lachance and McInnis played for USA. It was a good stepping stone for them. It was a bunch of young college kids and two or three AHL level "pro" guys that were allowed.
The way we have development programs for our national junior team it could work out well for the US, especially if Russia agrees not to let KHLers play. Then even from a financial standpoint the teams aren't taking as much risk. No need to risk injury to a guy like Tavares that is the heart and soul of your existing team.

Last edited by KasparsHipCheck: 02-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.
KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
broadwayblue

Tough loss.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
http://islanderspointblank.com/islan...avares-injury/

Rightfully so to be mad too. Let's assume we were in a playoff spot, then what? I'm mad now, if we were in playoff position, I'd probably be spitting fire.

Garth has EVERY right to be pissed off at the situation. At least he's showing a little passion, now if he took that passion and built the team right, that would be great.
He has no right to be pissed off and comes off like the dunce he is. Injuries happen.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
You got a point sir.

Regardless, only Bettman would stop a season half way through, and risk player injuries, just to get attention.
According to the latest story on the World Cup of hockey (Globe And Mail, late 2012 though), NHL intends to stage that in February 2016 as well and in NA. Not at all contradictory with the complaints about the break in the season. I won't get into the problems getting the whole tournament going would have in the first place, it's been discussed enough already at the BoH and Olympic Hockey sections.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Poliz24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Wonder how John feels about his organizations first public comments being concerned about money...

Not about John coming back and supporting him and backing him 100% in his return from injury..
That is very interesting. Hopefully he knows that all of the fans here support him 110%. Hopefully that doesn't discourage him when his contract is up. He deserves the best around him. He is world class all the way.

Poliz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:19 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAIsles View Post
That's actually better news than initially thought. Kinda like the Machado injury for my other team the Os. JT back by camp IS GREAT! Its not like this current season really matters anyway, the team was DEAD with JT, current mgmt. and coaching staff The Coliseum will be empty for the duration of the year. I am lowering my tix big time now. Yay baseball is BACK!
Isles in 14-15 OR 15-16 OR ????
Wow, I'm an Islanders and Orioles fan too, lol.... If you are a Raven's fan then our sports teams match up exactly (i don't care for basketball).

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:24 PM
leaponover

Honestly, of course injuries are scary and I'm always concerned a player won't come back and be able to compete at the same level. I don't think that will happen to Tavares. However, i'm actually glad this charade of making a playoff push is immediately disintegrated. Call up the youngsters, shake up the lineup, trade any of the scrubs that still have trade value, and get a high first round draft pick. This season has been nothing but bad luck on a team that lacks talent and depth and can't afford any injuries.

The bright spot, it's now depth the Isles are worried about fixing, not the core. Give Snow some money, see what the guy can do, put a capable leader at the helm and trudge on.

Fighting!

Old
02-20-2014, 09:45 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasparsHipCheck View Post
They're talking about some type of World Cup of Hockey in the summer again, that way the NHL can find a way to have their hands in the money too.
As far as dividing amateur vs. professional--just do it the old way pre-NHL participation days. It was exciting to see old Isle prospects play in the Olympics before they joined the team--1992 Kaspar and Malakhov won the gold, while Lachance and McInnis played for USA. It was a good stepping stone for them. It was a bunch of young college kids and two or three AHL level "pro" guys that were allowed.
The way we have development programs for our national junior team it could work out well for the US, especially if Russia agrees not to let KHLers play. Then even from a financial standpoint the teams aren't taking as much risk. No need to risk injury to a guy like Tavares that is the heart and soul of your existing team.
I think having AHLers or KHLers, or any other Lers playing is part of the problem I have with this. KHL's aren't amateurs and neither are AHL players. Those guys are professionals, they get paid to play hockey for a living. The same is true for all the competitions (unless I'm mistaken), they get paid to play their respective sport or event, otherwise they wouldn't dedicate all their time to it.

Watching college kids play against KHL players or some other league's players won't make the Olympics exciting. It'll be incredibly boring and would/should take a back seat to the world juniors.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:51 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Wow, I'm an Islanders and Orioles fan too, lol.... If you are a Raven's fan then our sports teams match up exactly (i don't care for basketball).
Ravens fan? Boy! Considering the tavares injury and ray rice's legal trouble, this has been a crazy week for you as a fan.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:02 AM
MaryChristine
God Amongst Men

Quote:

Let me ask you this...

I only blame him for saying stupid ****. He needs to * * * *.

MaryChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:30 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
Ravens fan? Boy! Considering the tavares injury and ray rice's legal trouble, this has been a crazy week for you as a fan.
Yeah, fortunately the NFL is a bit of an after thought for me after Hockey. Baseball the same. The only sport I truly invest myself in is Hockey and the Isles.