HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares (Torn MCL, Meniscus) ***Out For Season, NO Surgery Needed***

Old
02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
redbull
game on

vCash: 500
I feel for JT because I think he was playing very well and working so hard in limited minutes, he was competing hard and really wanted to win. Sucks that he won't get to play in the final one or two games - he deserves better.

Snow's comments were likely emotional reactions rather than rational thought but stupid either way. To circumvent the cap floor and bring in such valuable cap space as: Tim Thomas, Bryan Rolston and then talk about the season ticket holders is not as ironic as it is absurd. Colossal joke.

As for the Islanders. With Nielsen out, Tavares out, Vanek soon to be dealt - this roster is looking as bad as it did in 2008-09, coincidentally, the roster than got us JT.

Doesn't really impact the Isles too much this year though. It's just 20 games and the Isles had no shot at the playoffs anyway. Tavares can use the rest, both mentally and physically.

Snow better start acting and stop talking because that McDavid 2015 1st rounder situation needs some attention and a decision, very soon.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Bones45

didja ever just want to line up some ice hockey pucks outside of the coliseum... Like 10 or 20 in a row....

and just blast them into those big panes of glass?? Its **** like this that makes me want to do this.

And they'll crack too.. one guy during one of the playoff games last year was so amped up in between periods that he cracked one just out of excitement.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:10 AM
CodeE

I read that after surgery, his expected recovery time is 12 months.

So the earliest we'll likely see him skating in an Islanders uniform is late February, 2015.

Next season is gonna suck worse than this season.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post

So the earliest we'll likely see him skating in an Islanders uniform is late February, 2015.

For a torn MCL? Not at all. Not sure where you read that. They said he'll be ready by training camp.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:26 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:

That is far from true. The rehab for his surgery is expected to be 6 months. Since it's Tavares, it will probably only take 5 for him to be fully healthy.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:26 AM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Quote:

You're thinking of ACL.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Since it's Tavares, it will probably only take 5 for him to be fully healthy.
But being that its an Islander, all rational thought and logic is out the window.

He'll take 8 months and then be promoted to GM.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

JT should be able to fully resume his normal workout routine by the summer at the latest, no reason why he won't be ready from day one of training camp.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:33 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
But being that its an Islander, all rational thought and logic is out the window.

He'll take 8 months and then be promoted to GM.
Hah! He could probably be a better GM than Snow, though.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:42 AM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
You're thinking of ACL.
Crap, I was. Still bad, mind you, but I thought it was much worse.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
He has no right to be pissed off and comes off like the dunce he is. Injuries happen.
JT is our best asset, the team, owner, GM and players have every right to be mad that JT got hurt playing something that wasn't team related.

Again, what if we'd been in 2nd or 3rd, would people here still feel the same way about losing JT? What if this was the year we had a legit run for the cup? Would we be so laid back or casual? Would people see Garth's comments differently?

I bring these questions up, because you need to look at things from every angle. Some of you are looking at it from your Wang/Snow hate goggles.

Also, injuries do happen but its completely different when they happen outside of your normal realm.

02-21-2014, 01:28 PM
gordie43

Look how Detroit has handled zetterberg injury and to a lesser extent zuccarello for rangers. Both players are important players playing for teams in playoff contention. I have not heard their GM's go off like Garth.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Garth Snow's comments on this matter are disgraceful and an embarrassment to the organization. I've had a lot of faith in him over the past few years but this season has really changed that for me. The issue with complaining about Okposo not making it and then blasting the IOC about the Tavares injury is nonsensical. You can't have it both ways.

Oh and now he's worried about the season ticket holders?

Where was that worry in July when his entire offseason consisted of signing two scrubs who were traded together a few weeks ago for a fourth round draft pick? Where was that worry when the team dropped 10 straight games but he refused to fire the inept coaching staff who couldn't get the team to play a full 60 minutes every night? Where was that worry when he didn't make a realistic offer to entice Thomas Vanek to stay with this team (yes I know you can make the argument Wang is more to blame for this)?

But now when an injury happens to his best player in the Olympics it's some huge injustice to the organization. Does he expect us fans and the now ever-so-important season ticket holders to ignore the fact that he's done damn near nothing to improve this team in the past year? Get real. This issue created a real nosedive in the respect I have for Snow in a year it was already seriously declining.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
JT is our best asset, the team, owner, GM and players have every right to be mad that JT got hurt playing something that wasn't team related.

Again, what if we'd been in 2nd or 3rd, would people here still feel the same way about losing JT? What if this was the year we had a legit run for the cup? Would we be so laid back or casual? Would people see Garth's comments differently?

I bring these questions up, because you need to look at things from every angle. Some of you are looking at it from your Wang/Snow hate goggles.

Also, injuries do happen but its completely different when they happen outside of your normal realm.
Absolutely. The way I see it Snow has no room to talk because he didn't put this team in a position to win this season before this happened. I think that's the jist of what I was trying to say in my previous post.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie43 View Post
Look how Detroit has handled zetterberg injury and to a lesser extent zuccarello for rangers. Both players are important players playing for teams in playoff contention. I have not heard their GM's go off like Garth.
With all due respect to Zetterberg and Zuccarello, but they are not John Tavares. JT is one of the golden boys as a former #1 overall pick and reaching superstar status. Johnny is the very definition of a young and emerging franchise player, there aren't that many out there like him.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
gordie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
With all due respect to Zetterberg and Zuccarello, but they are not John Tavares. JT is one of the golden boys as a former #1 overall pick and reaching superstar status. Johnny is the very definition of a young and emerging franchise player, there aren't that many out there like him.
Looking at it in the long term you are 100% correct, I was just commenting on the impact for the rest of this season for each team.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:06 PM
PJGooch

People put way too much stock into public comments by management figures, let alone comments from a below-average GM representing an organization with laughable PR skills.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:11 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Canada got Johnny a Silver Medal at least now with Canada's 1-0 over the US. At least consolation for the injury. Let's see if it turns to Gold.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:37 PM
coachdny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie43 View Post
Your comparing apples to oranges.. Zetterberg's injury is a pre existing and ongoing condition for him, that was just aggravated at the Olympics.. he was out a few times this year due to it.. Zuccarelo is expected back.. plus its his hand.. JT went into the olympics and is injury free.. and is now gone for the rest of the year.. plus its his knee... you never know how those injuries go and how he wil bounce back.. you cant compare a knee injury torn ligaments to a broken bone..

knowing JT he will be back stronger.. but i dont fault Snow one bit for venting.. but i do blame him for not fielding a more competitve team this year. He still needs to be fired along with the entire coaching staff.

coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:12 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Canada got Johnny a Silver Medal at least now with Canada's 1-0 over the US. At least consolation for the injury. Let's see if it turns to Gold.
Would have been great to watch JT in the USA game for sure. This is the best hockey we'll see in a long time and amazing to have JT on that roster. Let's not make thee unfortunate injury change that narrative too much. We all enjoyed watching Tavares out there, Garth too, so it's time to shut up about that Garth-nonsense-crap.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Bottom line is Snow has zero credibility here because he complains about the Olympics robbing him of a franchise forward when it was him fronting Wang robbing us of defense, goaltending, etc.

This season was already in the toilet because of their choice to save money vs. adding some real help to the roster in the summer. And he appears to cop to that anyway, saying the only reason most of us follow this club is because of Tavares.

Gee "Mr. Rebuilder," any clue why he is the only reason to watch?

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:25 PM
thegoldenyear

Quote:
And I hope he's able to show it off at centre ice in NVMC before Thursday's Leafs game. If it happens I hope you guys blow the roof off the barn for him. I'll be watching it with something in my damned eyes.

Wonder how much time he'll put in on LI before heading home to rehab.

Canadian fan here, but always an Islanders fan first: although I'm awfully happy TC's carrying on to the GMG Sunday, I've almost completely lost my appetite for Sochi 2014 since the Kulda hit. It's going to be some kind of slow death watching JT slide lower and lower in the scoring ledger. With 66 points he's on the bubble for staying top 30 this year; I remember how happy I was in '10-'11 when he made the first page on NHL.com.

thegoldenyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

I remember this is how it started with Rick Dipietro.. a minor injury. He rushed himself back, the team rushed him. Poor doctors, terrible trainers and then more injuries followed.

Do we really want the training team to be anywhere near him when he returns?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 12:28 AM
MaryChristine*
27 91 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
didja ever just want to line up some ice hockey pucks outside of the coliseum... Like 10 or 20 in a row....

and just blast them into those big panes of glass?? Its **** like this that makes me want to do this.

And they'll crack too.. one guy during one of the playoff games last year was so amped up in between periods that he cracked one just out of excitement.

I dream of Blasting pucks as Wang's face

MaryChristine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 06:33 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Public comment told us about the organization's attitude. They don't think failure has been their fault. Delusion mixed with condescension. Like your post.
Lol at delusion. It pretty much sums up the attitude of most people on this board where they think that all that happens in the world is what the press tells them, and then act like that is all that matters. Sad to be so naive...

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote