Bury him in the minors - cap hit remains less 925k 18 13.04%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
It is for a non-compliance buyout, and I was using the incorrect column. Thanks for pointing this out. I believe it can be used for a compliance buyout, just ignore the last column.

That's another possible scenario. Perhaps we could come up with a list of teams/players that this could work. Teams don't like taking on bad contract goalies.
The Jets could make a deal with a team that needs to get to the Cap Floor where we retain a large portion of Pavs salary (Say, $2.85 million/year), the other team takes his full $3.9 million cap hit and pays the remainder of his salary and sends us back a pick/prospect/player whatever. $2.85 million x 3 years = $8.55 million: basically the cost of a compliance buyout, but instead of getting nothing, we get a 2nd or Trocheck or McCoshen or something (to use FLA as an example).

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
There's got to be a team with a bunch of unwashed junk protectors they want to get rid of. Failing that, buy out.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:19 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't think Pavelec is a bad goalie, but I do think he needs a change of scenery. His numbers were decent in his one year as Atlanta's starter, but he's been doing worse each year in Winnipeg. I have a feeling this is the way the rest of the league view's his value as well.

I'd try and trade him for another player in need of a change of scenery. Maybe something like Pavelec to the Isles for any two of Grabner, Bailey and Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck has struggled big time since arrive on on Long Island, Bailey just seems to have lost all confidence and Grabner is being paid like a 20+ goal scorer.
All good goalies can have a good year though...

Pav's was also below average in AHL and QMJHL. Those type of goalies are almost never starters in the NHL.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:24 PM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Jets could make a deal with a team that needs to get to the Cap Floor where we retain a large portion of Pavs salary (Say, $2.85 million/year), the other team takes his full $3.9 million cap hit and pays the remainder of his salary and sends us back a pick/prospect/player whatever. $2.85 million x 3 years = $8.55 million: basically the cost of a compliance buyout, but instead of getting nothing, we get a 2nd or Trocheck or McCoshen or something (to use FLA as an example).
I believe the max is 50%, and it's 50% of both salary and cap hit.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Obviously if a trade is available you'd do that rather than buy him out. Not sure why so many people said buy out.

What we want to happen and what will are two differnt things. Personally see no way he's bought out. I also don't think his contract is so bad that we couldn't find someone to take it if need be. Especially with teh cap increasing next season

cheswick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:27 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't think Pavelec is a bad goalie, but I do think he needs a change of scenery. His numbers were decent in his one year as Atlanta's starter, but he's been doing worse each year in Winnipeg. I have a feeling this is the way the rest of the league view's his value as well.

I'd try and trade him for another player in need of a change of scenery. Maybe something like Pavelec to the Isles for any two of Grabner, Bailey and Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck has struggled big time since arrive on on Long Island, Bailey just seems to have lost all confidence and Grabner is being paid like a 20+ goal scorer.
Two useful players for a useless goalie with 2 seasons to go? Did you forget one of these ?

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Huffer

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
That's another possible scenario. Perhaps we could come up with a list of teams/players that this could work. Teams don't like taking on bad contract goalies.
There's the rub I think. A team would have to A) need a goalie, B) miss out on all the other UFA goalies and possibly available RFA goalies, C) not have an issue with his cap hit, and D) somehow think Pavs can help them. I can't think of a lot of teams in that scenario.

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:33 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Posted elsewhere:
Quote:
Jets have been a middle of road team with goaltending pulling them down to basically AHL goaltender levels:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bg7h0tZCIAExnBt.jpg:large
Sorry about the bad graph, at work
Basically we see here that Jets are a lowish playoff team in shot differentials (not even going into Corsi or Fenwick and ignoring the Jets been 5% better with Maurice)
We see here that the Jets goal differential is almost the exact same if they had an "AHL calibre goalie"
We see here that the Jets have a goal differential with league average save percentage that is above 50% (or above +0)

Old
02-20-2014, 02:35 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
There's the rub I think. A team would have to A) need a goalie, B) miss out on all the other UFA goalies and possibly available RFA goalies, C) not have an issue with his cap hit, and D) somehow think Pavs can help them. I can't think of a lot of teams in that scenario.
And even teams that need to hit the floor can do that by overspending on guys they actually want.

The second round of compliance buyouts is a glorious opportunity for Cheveldayoff and TNSE to fix this mistake.

Old
02-20-2014, 02:40 PM
SCP Guy

The only way they buy him out is if we can sign 2 goalies and spend a total of about 2 mil on them....Out of pocket money to TNSE would be about the same?

P.S. I don't think Montoya is a starting goalie who can play 55+ games for us....like him as a backup with 20-30 starts though

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 02:43 PM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
The only way they buy him out is if we can sign 2 goalies and spend a total of about 2 mil on them....Out of pocket money to TNSE would be about the same?
We're spending $4.5 million on goalies this season. $1.4 million would be spent in real dollars if Pavelec is bought out ($2.8 is saved against the cap), so if there is a $4.5 million cap on goalie spending for the Jets, they'd have a little over $3 million for 2 goalies.

Old
02-20-2014, 02:50 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
We're spending $4.5 million on goalies this season. $1.4 million would be spent in real dollars if Pavelec is bought out ($2.8 is saved against the cap), so if there is a $4.5 million cap on goalie spending for the Jets, they'd have a little over $3 million for 2 goalies.

Isn't the buyout 1.4 mil for 6 years so 9.6 mil vs 3 years for 12.6 ????

3 million of actual difference in money out of pocket?

edit (cap geek shows a 4.2 mil savings......so 1.4 mil to spend on a starting goalie to spend the same money as keeping Pav

We wont be a cap team so who cares about the cap hit for now

Last edited by SCP Guy: 02-20-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old
02-20-2014, 02:56 PM
BigZ65

Quote:

The buyout will cost about $8.5 million over 6 seasons vs. the remaining $11.7 million over the next 3 seasons.

$3.2 million saved overall. A little less than $2.5 million each for the next 3 seasons in real dollars, then $1.4 million extra for the 3 seasons after that.

Old
02-20-2014, 03:00 PM
BigZ65

Quote:

edit (cap geek shows a 4.2 mil savings......so 1.4 mil to spend on a starting goalie to spend the same money as keeping Pav

Nope. We have only Pavelec on a 1 way next season. We have $4.5 million spent on goalies in 13-14.

If we buyout Pavelec, we will have spent $1.4 million on goalies for next season to pay his buyout. If we're sticking with exactly $4.5 million spent on goalies (lets just say that arbitrarily), we'd have $3.1 million to sign 2 goalies.

Old
02-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Compliance buyout.

If there is a way to possibly trade him I'd be all over that. Really don't think there is anymore though.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 03:27 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Nope. We have only Pavelec on a 1 way next season. We have $4.5 million spent on goalies in 13-14.

If we buyout Pavelec, we will have spent $1.4 million on goalies for next season to pay his buyout. If we're sticking with exactly $4.5 million spent on goalies (lets just say that arbitrarily), we'd have $3.1 million to sign 2 goalies.
I was adding the 1.4 mil we pay in years 4...5...and 6 to the mix because that is money out of TNSE pocket....cap hit is irrelevant since we wont be up against the cap ??

We can't just say he was gonna make 3.9 mil next year and his buyout number is 1.4 next year.....the payment for years 4...5...and 6 are not taken into account and that is money out of TNSE pockets so they look at that very carefully we can't dismiss it in their decision making.

Old
02-20-2014, 03:31 PM
cbcwpg

Whatever it takes to get rid of him. But do remember we need to replace him with something.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Bristo

vCash: 5031
I put buy him out because I think that's the most realistic option that we ought to exercise. If we can get a bag of pucks for him on the trade market, do that instead, but as others have said I doubt he'll get even that.

Bristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:16 PM
almostawake

Preferably trade him. At this point in time they're not going to get much for him. But it may be reasonable to get a 3rd line winger that is overpaid by a couple million and hopefully signed for no longer than Pavelec.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
arby18
#whatdidchevydotoday

vCash: 537
Buyout.

Heck, let him stay in Sochi.

arby18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Donald

Keep him until we have someone better. (and of course we should be trying to improve in goal along with everywhere else) And no, I don't think our average AHL goalies are better at this point.

We're not exactly hurting for cap space, so I don't care if he's overpaid personally.

Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:29 PM
Gm0ney

That first option should be "Miss the Playoffs for 3 more years".

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Trade is optimal situation, but unlikely we get value we wouldn't regret just as much (unless we do a late draft pick, and even then)

Second best situation would be buyout as Jets are likely to improve with a random UFA than they are for Pavelec to improve, then on top of it you have some added cap space. But, this is unlikely.

Old
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
tntkid

If he is the reason we can't push for a playoff spot this year than he will likely get the Noel treatment.

I hope he can turn his game around.

His performance at Sochi was awful.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 04:57 PM
SensibleGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Obviously if a trade is available you'd do that rather than buy him out. Not sure why so many people said buy out.

What we want to happen and what will are two differnt things. Personally see no way he's bought out. I also don't think his contract is so bad that we couldn't find someone to take it if need be. Especially with teh cap increasing next season
I said buy out because I don't think a trade is a realistic option. I don't think there's a team in the league that wold want him.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote