Bury him in the minors - cap hit remains less 925k 18 13.04%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-20-2014, 07:23 PM
TheDeuce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
I would give him a hug. Dude just needs a hug.
Just don't hug him high glove side. You'll end up hugging twine.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:29 PM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
Just don't hug him high glove side. You'll end up hugging twine.

m.
Those who want to should stake out the airport when he arrives back in the city and line up for hug giving. I'm sure Pavs would appreciate it.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Relevant to interests of this thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1608093

So far:

Josh Bailey
Ville Leino (no thanks)
Martin Havlat
Nice to see an Islander fan suggest Bailey. First name I thought of, and I think it would be a good fit.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Skidooboy

vCash: 500
Trade is the worst option.
it's a trade from weakness and every GM in the league KNOWS IT.

We need him gone.

who are we gonna get in return.
Contracts teams don't want to hold on to because they are bad. Guys we didn't draft who may not fit our system or program, and are already not performing. Or we get more 4th line, 7th D men. yay more plugs or a "difficult player"
Hell, if I wanted a difficult player I'd sign Burmistrov. I know what he brings. better that than trade Pavs to get another one just like him? except this one,i don't know, and I HAVE to pay him.

Waive him. no one is gonna take him. not for half his salary. there is lotsa so so goalies out there.
Waive Pavs. Bring up Hutchinson to back up(he's our best prospect right?)Give Monty his shot. he deserves a fair shot and is no worse than pavs.

Start Monty, Hutchinson up(best prospect right?). Everybody in the system that can moves up. test 'em all I say, sink or swim.

New Starter and maybe backup come from Free Agency, Monty included in that pkg depending on his performance and price.

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:22 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Minors. Someone can take the bullet and claim him, or play for the ice caps, and hope he can somehow find his game.

Or buy him out.

Hug works as well. I'm sure the dude needs one. He knows a lot of people are after him.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 08:44 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Minors. Someone can take the bullet and claim him, or play for the ice caps, and hope he can somehow find his game.
Maybe I should've split up those options. Of course someone else claiming him is by far the best option, but I doubt that happens.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I want to slap his fat face and tell him to shape up.

Though I hear he's really nice in person, so maybe it could be hard.

Last edited by Romang67: 02-20-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: The number of ninja edits from me is a bit concerning.
Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Mooses68

minors

If they bury him in the minors what are the chances that he is so insulted that he asks to be released from his contract to pursue a career in the KHL or elsewhere? A la Kovalchuk

Mooses68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Trade is the worst option.
it's a trade from weakness and every GM in the league KNOWS IT.

We need him gone.

who are we gonna get in return.
Contracts teams don't want to hold on to because they are bad. Guys we didn't draft who may not fit our system or program, and are already not performing. Or we get more 4th line, 7th D men. yay more plugs or a "difficult player"
Hell, if I wanted a difficult player I'd sign Burmistrov. I know what he brings. better that than trade Pavs to get another one just like him? except this one,i don't know, and I HAVE to pay him.

Waive him. no one is gonna take him. not for half his salary. there is lotsa so so goalies out there.
Waive Pavs. Bring up Hutchinson to back up(he's our best prospect right?)Give Monty his shot. he deserves a fair shot and is no worse than pavs.

Start Monty, Hutchinson up(best prospect right?). Everybody in the system that can moves up. test 'em all I say, sink or swim.

New Starter and maybe backup come from Free Agency, Monty included in that pkg depending on his performance and price.
And if the Jets waive him and no one claims him? We're still paying him at that point are we not? What would that accomplish?

Old
02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses68 View Post
If they bury him in the minors what are the chances that he is so insulted that he asks to be released from his contract to pursue a career in the KHL or elsewhere? A la Kovalchuk
Kovy already had like 50mill in his pocket, and is good...he can risk the KHL as if it fails, any team in the NHL will happily take him back where as Pavs....

IMHO there is no way he asks for release, not at that kinda dough. If he gets a release and signs in the KHL for 1 or 2 years, it will be for less money. If that fails to work out, getting back into the NHL probably not gonna happen.

But I did like the perspective.

I think right now what is should happen is the following;

1. Get a new goalie coach, as mentioned by someone, is not improving and has not in 3 years...start there.
2. Shelter him, play him less until he rebuilds confidence. He does have skill and can be lights out, but he has been having a crap season...Olympics probably just **** on the last of his confidence.
3. Trade Monty @ deadline (Profit!)...bring up Hutch...
Then we can have Pavski and Hutch...Pavski rides shotgun though until he finds his mojo.

Seriously though me might buyout or trade but we may just end up with another mediocre goalie...but I don't think there is going to be a magic plethora of elite goaltenders that are going to free in the off season, and if there is...they are going to sign someplace that they perceive as much nicer than the 'peg and we will get someone other teams cast off.

Remember, TNSE are still trying to foster that "Treat players right" image, and they are going to have to show that they tried everything before they buy out Pavs or bury him, they need this place to be attractive to potential talent.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:36 PM
BigZ65

Interesting excerpt from Scott Cullen's trade deadline preview on the Jets:

Quote:
On the edge of the playoff race, the Jets might be a legitimate playoff team with improved goaltending, but if they remain committed to Ondrej Pavelec as their starter for the rest of the year, they ought to move out some of their non-essential veterans, including Olli Jokinen and Devin Setoguchi.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=444304

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 12:22 AM
JCLiponfanboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't think Pavelec is a bad goalie, but I do think he needs a change of scenery. His numbers were decent in his one year as Atlanta's starter, but he's been doing worse each year in Winnipeg. I have a feeling this is the way the rest of the league view's his value as well.

I'd try and trade him for another player in need of a change of scenery. Maybe something like Pavelec to the Isles for any two of Grabner, Bailey and Clutterbuck. Clutterbuck has struggled big time since arrive on on Long Island, Bailey just seems to have lost all confidence and Grabner is being paid like a 20+ goal scorer.
Isles wouldn't do that they would do it for Bailey straight up.

JCLiponfanboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Galbatross

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Interesting excerpt from Scott Cullen's trade deadline preview on the Jets:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=444304

WAit wait wait wait.. somebody is saying TRADE ufas?! Holy kraft dinner! Thats a riaky thing to suggest!!! This is possibly the most important thing any has ever suggested

Galbatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbatross View Post
WAit wait wait wait.. somebody is saying TRADE ufas?! Holy kraft dinner! Thats a riaky thing to suggest!!! This is possibly the most important thing any has ever suggested
IF the Jets are committed to sucking - i.e. keeping Pavelec as the starting goalie - then yeah, it's fire sale time.

Wait - maybe we can get Montoya's goaltending coach to talk to Pavelec! Problem solved!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:59 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooses68 View Post
That would be the best scenario possible.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:28 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Kovy already had like 50mill in his pocket, and is good...he can risk the KHL as if it fails, any team in the NHL will happily take him back where as Pavs....

IMHO there is no way he asks for release, not at that kinda dough. If he gets a release and signs in the KHL for 1 or 2 years, it will be for less money. If that fails to work out, getting back into the NHL probably not gonna happen.

But I did like the perspective.

I think right now what is should happen is the following;

1. Get a new goalie coach, as mentioned by someone, is not improving and has not in 3 years...start there.
2. Shelter him, play him less until he rebuilds confidence. He does have skill and can be lights out, but he has been having a crap season...Olympics probably just **** on the last of his confidence.
3. Trade Monty @ deadline (Profit!)...bring up Hutch...
Then we can have Pavski and Hutch...Pavski rides shotgun though until he finds his mojo.

Seriously though me might buyout or trade but we may just end up with another mediocre goalie...but I don't think there is going to be a magic plethora of elite goaltenders that are going to free in the off season, and if there is...they are going to sign someplace that they perceive as much nicer than the 'peg and we will get someone other teams cast off.

Remember, TNSE are still trying to foster that "Treat players right" image, and they are going to have to show that they tried everything before they buy out Pavs or bury him, they need this place to be attractive to potential talent.
2) I don't think Ondrej has played drastically different this year than in the first two seasons. I had the exact same issues with his game in year one.

3) So many people keep saying "trade Monty". I really don't think there is a trade market for him. He is a career backup that is having a good, but not great system. He may be better that Ondrej, but he is far from the kind of player trade assets to I'd add to bolster a playoff run.

Last edited by truck: 02-21-2014 at 07:54 AM.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:38 AM
Skidooboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
And if the Jets waive him and no one claims him? We're still paying him at that point are we not? What would that accomplish?
Ummm, gets him out of the room, and out of the city till we can buy him out this summer. Gives us room to bring Hutchinson up.
I don't think he's personally a problem in the room but if he is on the way out, it would be painful and awkward to see him moping around the room. Plus I don't think he's gonna play very well for the rest of the season, and I don't think the rest of the team has any confidence in him.

Skidooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:42 AM
bromine

Trade him for Tavares while Garth snow's head is still clouded with rage

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 07:53 AM
Bob E

Compliance buyout. Admit the mistake, let him go to the KHL.

I think it's doubtful he would attract a lot of interest in the NHL, at the moment. Unless a team is very desperate, and has nothing in the pipeline.

Bob E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidooboy View Post
Ummm, gets him out of the room, and out of the city till we can buy him out this summer. Gives us room to bring Hutchinson up.
I don't think he's personally a problem in the room but if he is on the way out, it would be painful and awkward to see him moping around the room. Plus I don't think he's gonna play very well for the rest of the season, and I don't think the rest of the team has any confidence in him.
Cool, but you didn't add the part about buying him out in the summer. So just waiving him didn't make sense on it's own if everyone pretty much agrees that no one would claim him.

Old
02-21-2014, 08:54 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Trade him for Tavares while Garth snow's head is still clouded with rage
Any trade of Pavelec to the Islanders would make me beyond happy if for no other reason than it would let me say "Garth just got Snowed!"

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:03 PM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Compliance buyout. Admit the mistake, let him go to the KHL.

I think it's doubtful he would attract a lot of interest in the NHL, at the moment. Unless a team is very desperate, and has nothing in the pipeline.

Buying him out is a bad move right now, if we treat a player like that, then other players will think twice about signing in Winnipeg. You have to give the guy a chance, we can't just **** on him.

viper0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Buying him out is a bad move right now, if we treat a player like that, then other players will think twice about signing in Winnipeg. You have to give the guy a chance, we can't just **** on him.
Huh???

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
Huh???

You have to give Pavs a under the new head coach but if a trade come our way that really improves the team, then Pavs has to go.

viper0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
So we should become a haven for washed up and/or under producing players? Pavs has had 3 seasons plus time in Atlanta to show something, some kind of promise, and he hasn't.

If the Jets buyout Pavs, trust me, other players are not going to be thinking that if they come to Winnipeg they won't be given a fair chance. Players do not play in a bubble anymore. Everyone knows everyone, so if we dump Pavs, everyone will know the reasons why.

And I want other players thinking of Winnipeg as a place to play because the organization actually wants to succeed. And if that means throwing someone out, so be it. To me a trade would be best because you get something in return, but if we can pick up a goalie better than Pavs by whatever means, the team has to do it.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote