HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Hockey Thread II (All Olympic Hockey Talk Here)

Old
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if none of Hall, RNH, Eberle make the team in 4 years.
hall should have been in over kunitz THIS year... unless hall falls of the face of the earth, he will be in serious contention in 2018.... eberle and RNH are much less likely IMO, especially eberle since he is basically already the player he will be in 2018 right now.... RNH at least will be stronger, likely better on faceoffs and better defensively

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:35 PM
well oiled machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
hall should have been in over kunitz THIS year... unless hall falls of the face of the earth, he will be in serious contention in 2018.... eberle and RNH are much less likely IMO, especially eberle since he is basically already the player he will be in 2018 right now.... RNH at least will be stronger, likely better on faceoffs and better defensively
As effective as Hall's offensive game is, he wouldn't have been near the level of defensive awareness that was required from all of the TC players. I was choked when Hall wasn't being seriously discussed for a roster spot, but after watching TC play some amazing hockey, I can see why he was easily left off. Hopefully he can round out his game for 2018

well oiled machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_jatt View Post
As effective as Hall's offensive game is, he wouldn't have been near the level of defensive awareness that was required from all of the TC players. I was choked when Hall wasn't being seriously discussed for a roster spot, but after watching TC play some amazing hockey, I can see why he was easily left off. Hopefully he can round out his game for 2018
Exactly. He would have carried the puck around the offensive zone nicely, lost it down deep and then coasted back to his own zone cause he's tired. You didnt have that problem with Kunitz or Carter. Hall might have helped in blowing out teams like Norway but his ass would have been stapled to the bench in the important games.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Exactly. He would have carried the puck around the offensive zone nicely, lost it down deep and then coasted back to his own zone cause he's tired. You didnt have that problem with Kunitz or Carter. Hall might have helped in blowing out teams like Norway but his ass would have been stapled to the bench in the important games.
Kunitz could barely keep up and Carter floated like he was lost puppy until he was remotely near or had the puck again. Not a great argument.

Yeah the "important" games showed as an important thing that seems to be being forgotten, Canada is Vastly Better, when it's Best on Best, then the other Top Countries in the world.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Kunitz could barely keep up and Carter floated like he was lost puppy until he was remotely near or had the puck again. Not a great argument.

Yeah the "important" games showed as an important thing that seems to be being forgotten, Canada is Vastly Better, when it's Best on Best, then the other Top Countries in the world.
Maybe you need to watch more closely, Carter was all over the ice and Kunitz was one of our best in the final 2 games.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Halibut

Quote:

Nope. Carter really impressed and not just the hat trick. He worked hard to come back on one turnover early that prevented any scoring chance after the d-man had coughed it up at the blueline. He was an experienced player playing a strong two way game and it really showed that he's played in a strong defensive system in LA. Taylor Hall doesnt have that.

Last edited by Halibut: 02-25-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old
02-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Carter has gotten much better habits since being a King. I wasn't always impressed with his play in Philly, and certainly not in Columbus. But on good clubs he plays well.

This is a message perhaps respective of how many players here are viewed to be useless trade fodder.

Many players play better on good teams. Who knew?

Even Hemsky was blowing doors off for Czechs while he's looked mia here much of the season.

WE need good coaching, good systems, until we can really evaluate our players.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:06 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Gonna ask this here:

What exactly does Kevin Dineen say to the American coach (and later Hilary Knight) after the game?

It looks like he's apologizing for the **** refereeing to me.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:21 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Gonna ask this here:

What exactly does Kevin Dineen say to the American coach (and later Hilary Knight) after the game?

Probably something like that.. "I'm sorry the reffing had such a big part in the outcome"... or something like that.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Speaking of the women's GMG, I really wish Hughson could have called that game. I realize it would have been unfair to Mark Lee since he called the rest of the women's tournament, but sometimes the Olympic experience isn't about fairness.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Maybe you need to watch more closely, Carter was all over the ice and Kunitz was one of our best in the final 2 games.
Carter was all over the ice because he floats and Kunitz could barely keep up. Crosby was so good, that Kunitz looked good by proxy. Kind of the same way he made the team in the first place.

Old
02-26-2014, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Gonna ask this here:

Whats it like being on the other end biatch?

(referring to previous Womens Oly soccer match with result stolen from Canada by atrocious officiating.)

Can't say I feel sorry for the US in anyway although karma ought to be visiting the US womens soccer team..

Still though from a fan pov one result somehow helps the feeling left over from the other..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Gonna ask this here:

i think he just said thank for bad coaching so we could win again imagine i had to tell my buddies i got out coached by a girl LOLOLOLOL - that was to Stone

I'll call you if i get divorced - that was to knight

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Carter was all over the ice because he floats and Kunitz could barely keep up. Crosby was so good, that Kunitz looked good by proxy. Kind of the same way he made the team in the first place.

Hmm sounds like you were watching a different olympic games then I did. In your universe who won the gold medal? In mine it was a team who bought in to solid defensive play all over the ice, an aggressive forecheck that kept opponents pinned in their own zone and quick line changes. All of the players on that team were solid defensivley and nobody was floating, the worst mistake Kunitz made was being to aggressive around the net in the Latvia game and took a penalty that ended up not costing the team anything since they had a great pk with some of the players that were often criticized on these boards for making the team.

Old
02-26-2014, 03:45 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
lol haters gonna hate i guess.

Old
02-26-2014, 03:49 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
We won gold, would we rather have Hall there and have him end up like Tavares or Barkov?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
lol haters gonna hate i guess.
Ok then trollers gonna troll then? I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Is the assumption that because they won, everything's fine and there were no issues? Because if that's the case many here need to lighten on Kevin Lowe, he help build the Olympic Champion.

See how that works.

Old
02-26-2014, 03:59 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We won gold, would we rather have Hall there and have him end up like Tavares or Barkov?
That would have sucked, but it can't honestly be a mitigating factor, because that's a reality for any player.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:04 PM
azashi

vCash: 3187
Quote:
Ok then trollers gonna troll then? I'm not really sure what you're getting at. Is the assumption that because they won, everything's fine and there were no issues? Because if that's the case many here need to lighten on Kevin Lowe, he help build the Olympic Champion.

See how that works.
What he's getting at is that people are making sound, reasonable arguments - against their own personal bias towards Oilers - explaining why Hall wasn't a fit with the team.

You keep ignoring those points or flat out denying what everyone else saw.

Perhaps you should take the time to look at how many posts here are yours and how many are by other people, and notice that you're producing about half the content in an attempt to push your opinion on others.

azashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

See how that works.
Canada had some of the smartest guys help build this team. They built it in a way that they thought would win. They won, so they accomplished their goal.

Be bitter all you won't, but there were guys that have recently won NHL cups or have been deep in the playoffs involved with this club.

Really can't believe people are still complaing about something that was executed exactly how the guys in charge planned it.

Holland, Chiarelli, Armstrong, Hitchock, Babcock, Ruff, Julien all had input. Seems to me they know what they are doing.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by azashi View Post
What he's getting at is that people are making sound, reasonable arguments - against their own personal bias towards Oilers - explaining why Hall wasn't a fit with the team.

You keep ignoring those points or flat out denying what everyone else saw.
Jeff Carter got a Hat-trick in one game, he floated for many of the other ones. He's pretty good in the gold medal game, still didn't deserve to be there, Grioux, Staal, Neal, etc, all better choices.

Chris Kunitz only made Team Canada because Sidney Crosby, Kunitz isn't even the best Canadian winger on his own Club team. I know he scored in the final with a nice shot, and it was a damned nice shot, that, however, doesn't in ANYWAY make up for the fact that he was CLEARLY out of his league in this tournament.

Here's the flaw that you, and others like you, are fond of ignoring. Canada didn't put together the "Best" Team Canada and win, for **** sakes then left Brent Seabrook off the team because he's Right Handed, they Dominanted every other Nation in Hockey with a team with question marks on it, this should be a MAJOR wake up call to All of those countries. Canada can utterly dominate you while leaving top-end talent at home for some reason.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Canada had some of the smartest guys help build this team. They built it in a way that they thought would win. They won, so they accomplished their goal.

Be bitter all you won't, but there were guys that have recently won NHL cups or have been deep in the playoffs involved with this club.

Really can't believe people are still complaing about something that was executed exactly how the guys in charge planned it.

Holland, Chiarelli, Armstrong, Hitchock, Babcock, Ruff, Julien all had input. Seems to me they know what they are doing.
They left Brent Seabrook off the team because he Shoots Right Handed.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
They left Brent Seabrook off the team because he Shoots Right Handed.
Doesn't really matter. They designed a team and it played a system like no other that has been witnessed in a very long time.

Whatever reasons they had for picking some guys and not others seems to be okay considering the results we had.

Old
02-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Sometimes I just shake my head at some of the comments on these threads.

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/...owerhouse-club

#14 Chris Kunitz, 8. Another excellent two-way game from Sid’s sidekick. Played the body, created a couple of turnovers, and moved the puck efficiently in all three zones. Got called for a very questionable penalty late in the first period, but earned the two minutes back a period later by taking one for the team, shedding a little blood in the process. Came back as hard as ever for the third, and was finally rewarded when he jumped on a loose puck and wired home a wicked wrist shot that beat Lundqvist bar-down to put it away.

#77 Jeff Carter, 7. Excellent skater who was just as fast on the backcheck as on the attack throughout the tournament. Volume shooter led Canada with 24 shots in the tournament, a half dozen more than any other player, despite spending time as the 13th forward before finding a role on the “checking” line. Tested Lundqvist three times in middle frame but couldn’t squeeze one through.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 04:42 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:

See how that works.
Really? Carter was very noticeable back checking every game. Take away the hat trick and Id still put him there anyday of the week. Seriously take the blinders off bud.