HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers interested in Mogilny

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2005, 01:02 AM
PantherBlood6*

vCash: 500
Panthers interested in Mogilny

Quote:
Panthers express interest in Mogilny
The former Maple Leaf could fill a scoring void at left wing.
By BRIAN BIGGANE

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Free agent Alexander Mogilny could be following former Toronto teammates Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts to Florida.

Mogilny's agent, J.P. Barry of Winnipeg, confirmed Tuesday that he has spoken to Panthers General Manager Mike Keenan concerning his client, who led the Maple Leafs in scoring in 2002-03 with 33 goals and 46 assists for 79 points.

"(Keenan) has called to inquire about Alex," said Barry, adding that the Panthers are one of "about a half-dozen" teams that have made such inquiries. "I've been talking to him quite a bit (about) several players."

Mogilny, 36, would fill the Panthers' gaping hole at first-line right wing, where Nathan Horton, who has battled shoulder injuries for most of his two pro seasons, is the leading candidate.

A prolific goal-scorer in his prime who netted a league-leading 76 goals with Buffalo in 1992-93, Mogilny also totaled 55 with Vancouver in 1995-96 and 43 with New Jersey in 2000-01.

A four-time All-Star (1992-'94 and '96), he has played with Buffalo (1989-94), Vancouver (1995-00), New Jersey (2000-01) and Toronto (2001-04), totaling 461 goals and 546 assists in 956 career games.

Mogilny missed three months with a hip injury in 2003-04, when he had just eight goals and 22 assists in 37 games. But he underwent corrective surgery more than a year ago and has been training in Southern California.

"He's healthy," Barry said. "He's had significant time to rehabilitate and he's going to be ready to go. That's the main message I'm giving to anyone who calls."

Keenan did not return calls asking for comment.

Deadline today: The Panthers' seven restricted free agents who are eligible for arbitration on their contract for this season have until 5 p.m. today to file. Teams must file their requests by 5 p.m. Thursday.

The group includes Olli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Christian Berglund, Niklas Hagman, Kristian Huselius, Juraj Kolnik and Mike Van Ryn.

To be eligible for arbitration, players must have four years in the league and have earned more than $1.5 million in their previous season. The team was required by June 30 to make qualifying offers to players on the following scale: those making $660,000 or less got 110 percent of their previous year's salary; players making $660,000 to $1 million received 105 percent; and players making more than $1 million 100 percent.

"In most cases, the qualifying offers are about what we expect to give them," director of hockey operations Jack Birch said. "They have the choice to take us to arbitration. If they want to, we're ready."

Both Mark Gandler, the agent for Jokinen, and Gilles Lupien, who represents Luongo, said they're not planning to file, preferring to work out long-term deals with the Panthers rather than the one-year settlement arbitration would bring.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...hers_0810.html

Would make a nice addition as long as its a one/two year deal -- at 36, you can't afford to lock him up too long.

Get it done, Keenan!

Old
08-10-2005, 01:14 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Hey it's definatelly a start. I wonder who the other players are that Keenan's interested in.

"I've been talking to him quite a bit (about) several players"

Does anyone know who else J.P. Barry represents?

And props to Luongo & Jokinen for not wanting to go to arbitration, LOCK 'EM UP KEENAN!

Old
08-10-2005, 01:37 AM
Heimy

I have to question this. Now I know Mogilny could fill the net if he's healthy, but he's coming off hip surgery and isn't even cleared for contact...just light skating. Mogilny himself admitted he wasn't 100% just a week or so back. (sorry, no link)

I'd like him to pass a physical and demonstrate he's good to go before an offer is tendered.

Now don't go gettin' all pissed Mogo. I'm just sayin'..

Old
08-10-2005, 01:45 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
If Mogilny signs it will officially be Toronto South.....or Geritol South...whichever sounds better

Seriously, I love the moves despite their ages. Roberts, Niewendyk, Gelinas, and Mogilny (if signed) can contribute, and a good mix of young players like Jokinen, Luongo, Bouwmeester, Weiss, Stewart, and Horton...the Panthers are probably going to piss alot of fans of other teams off. I look forward to the battles

EDIT: Oh, the hip.....probably not worth it then. An old man with a hip problem = 85% of the population in the state of Florida already

Old
08-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Dropkick Alex

My favorite player of all time including Bure. I would love to see him here but I hope he's healthy.

Old
08-10-2005, 02:10 AM
Original6

Florida panthers = 2003/04 Toronto Maple Leafs????

Anyways Almo is a good player when he's healthy.

Old
08-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
omg omg omg im gonna have an heart attack...

Old
08-10-2005, 06:03 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
Hey it's definatelly a start. I wonder who the other players are that Keenan's interested in.

And props to Luongo & Jokinen for not wanting to go to arbitration, LOCK 'EM UP KEENAN!

Wheres it show they signed?

Old
08-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16
If Mogilny signs it will officially be Toronto South.....or Geritol South...whichever sounds better

Seriously, I love the moves despite their ages. Roberts, Niewendyk, Gelinas, and Mogilny (if signed) can contribute, and a good mix of young players like Jokinen, Luongo, Bouwmeester, Weiss, Stewart, and Horton...the Panthers are probably going to piss alot of fans of other teams off. I look forward to the battles

EDIT: Oh, the hip.....probably not worth it then. An old man with a hip problem = 85% of the population in the state of Florida already
KEENAN: "The Panthers are proud to introduce our latest acquisition for our top line forward position, Miles Feinberg. Mr. Feinberg may look old and frail at age 87, but he played hockey once back in high school, and his condition is roughly equivalent to, say, Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny."

Old
08-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
Wheres it show they signed?
Not going to atribution doesnt mean they signed. It only means they want to sign long-term deals with us and not goto atribution to get an 1 year deal.

Old
08-10-2005, 06:46 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Not going to atribution doesnt mean they signed. It only means they want to sign long-term deals with us and not goto atribution to get an 1 year deal.

Can't find that either.

Quote:
It's possible Lupien could file for arbitration if no deal is reached by Aug. 15. With training camp scheduled to begin early next month, Luongo could be asked to hold out.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...ports-panthers

Old
08-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan

Deadline today: The Panthers' seven restricted free agents who are eligible for arbitration on their contract for this season have until 5 p.m. today to file. Teams must file their requests by 5 p.m. Thursday.

The group includes Olli Jokinen, Roberto Luongo, Christian Berglund, Niklas Hagman, Kristian Huselius, Juraj Kolnik and Mike Van Ryn.

To be eligible for arbitration, players must have four years in the league and have earned more than $1.5 million in their previous season. The team was required by June 30 to make qualifying offers to players on the following scale: those making $660,000 or less got 110 percent of their previous year's salary; players making $660,000 to $1 million received 105 percent; and players making more than $1 million 100 percent.

"In most cases, the qualifying offers are about what we expect to give them," director of hockey operations Jack Birch said. "They have the choice to take us to arbitration. If they want to, we're ready."

Both Mark Gandler, the agent for Jokinen, and Gilles Lupien, who represents Luongo, said they're not planning to file, preferring to work out long-term deals with the Panthers rather than the one-year settlement arbitration would bring.

The Link

Old
08-10-2005, 08:02 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
So when's Tucker and Domi get here?

Old
08-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I think arbitration would be murder for us. No players ever leave arbitration happy and we don't want our two best players to have a sour taste in their mouth.

Old
08-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
I think arbitration would be murder for us. No players ever leave arbitration happy and we don't want our two best players to have a sour taste in their mouth.
You think it was bad before? Now the owners can bring the players to the arbitration table to reduce a contract, if they so want, once during a players career or the lifetime of the contract. Forget which it is.

Old
08-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
You think it was bad before? Now the owners can bring the players to the arbitration table to reduce a contract, if they so want, once during a players career or the lifetime of the contract. Forget which it is.
Yea, I know but I don't think we will see too much of that. You might as well trade the player b/c he is going to amount to nothing after that.

Old
08-10-2005, 09:51 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Mogilny would be a great addition. Despite injury problems, when he's healthy he's amazing. I'd love to see 89 in a Panthers uniform, and I'm sure Mogo would too

Old
08-10-2005, 09:59 AM
TheCarneth

Send a message via AIM to TheCarneth
Bring Mogilny to the ODC!

Old
08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus
KEENAN: "The Panthers are proud to introduce our latest acquisition for our top line forward position, Miles Feinberg. Mr. Feinberg may look old and frail at age 87, but he played hockey once back in high school, and his condition is roughly equivalent to, say, Pavel Bure or Alexander Mogilny."

I heard the best part regarding this deal is Feinberg won't even draw a salary from the team.

Instead, he will play for gift certificates to Toojays Deli.

Apparently, he has a weakness for their famous Triple J sandwich.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I think it's a limit on how many players they can take to arbitration in any year.

Old
08-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
I think it's a limit on how many players they can take to arbitration in any year, and arbitration can only be done once for each player. But I'm not looking it up either.

Sorry if this double posted. I was waiting for it to post so I could edit it, but it appears that denial of service thing happens every day around this time...either that, or HF just gets a ****load of hits at this time of day.

Old
08-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck

He might have been talking about players who've already signed, like Ray Whitney. But highlights that I believe are available (not sure, not checking ) are:
Peter Worrell
Jason Woolley
Chris Chelios (do we need to get older? Huh, do we?)
Anson Carter
Alexander Mogilny
Owen Nolan

For a complete list of who Barry's firm, IMG Hockey, represents, go to the clients section of their website:
link

Old
08-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
YORMARK: "In association with our recent offseason acquisitions, the organization is pleased to announce several new corporate sponsorships for next season. Lining the boards of the Office Depot Center for the 2005-2006 season will be Fixodent, Depends, Preparation H, and Toojays Deli. We really feel that these will be excellent sponsors that are inline with our team's philosophy this coming year."

Old
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
He might have been talking about players who've already signed, like Ray Whitney. But highlights that I believe are available (not sure, not checking ) are:
Peter Worrell
Jason Woolley
Chris Chelios (do we need to get older? Huh, do we?)
Anson Carter
Alexander Mogilny
Owen Nolan

For a complete list of who Barry's firm, IMG Hockey, represents, go to the clients section of their website:
link
Nice find Acadmus. Chelios re-signed with Detroit last Thursday I believe, so he can be taken off the list. Some think Stephane Quintal would make a decent signing for a team looking for leadership on defense, thoughts? Other than that, no one looks appealing except the guys you listed.

J.P. Barry is Joe Thornton's current agent?

Last edited by Crossbar: 08-10-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
J.P. Barry is Joe Thornton's current agent?
Yeah, quite a coinky-dink, eh? Wonder if the talks Keenan's been involved in are inquiries as to whether he should bother pursuing a trade?

Frankly, I still wouldn't want to trade what it will take to get Thornton here. I'm guessing he won't come cheap. But this is Keenan we're talking about...the guy who still hasn't filled his team's roster and is taking half his freakin' team to arbitration instead of signing anyone.

Keenan: "We don't negotiate with terrorists...or knobs. And yous guys is knobs."

Agent: "Excuse me?"

Keenan: "Get me a soda...and none of that stinkin' root beer."

Agent: "Are you even playing attention?"

Keenan: "You're cut!"

Agent: "I think this explains some of your free agent signings of the past couple weeks - you need people old enough to relate to."

Keenan: "But I don't like pudding!"

Sorry, folks...this one wrote itself...I can't be held responsible

Closed Thread